News
Fire crews stage 24-hour strike
FIREFIGHTERS staged another strike on Thursday as they continued to protest about pension reforms.
The strike started at 9am and lasted for 24 hours, the longest so far. The FBU announced the strike following a third annual increase in pension contributions, with firefighters typically now paying more than £4,000 a year from a £29,000 salary. The Government plans to increase this further in 2015. The FBU says increasing numbers of members are considering leaving the pension scheme as a result of its decreasing affordability posing difficult questions over its sustainability. Under the government’s proposals, firefighters who are forced to retire before the age of 60 as a result of ageing will have half of their pension taken away. The government’s own report, published in December 2013 by Dr Tony Williams, found that large numbers of firefighters would be unable to maintain operational fitness until 60. Matt Wrack, general secretary of the Fire Brigades Union, said: “The minister has decided to bury his head in the sand, but he must accept that firefighters simply will not give up fighting for their futures and our fire and rescue service. “Concerns over these unworkable proposals remain as valid and grave as ever, and the government has ignored all the evidence including its own reports. “It is as ever a difficult decision for us to take, but the only way for us to resolve this unnecessary and costly dispute is for the government to start listening to reason.” Another strike is set for 10am to 5pm on Saturday, June 21. In addition between the two strikes, firefighters will not carry out any voluntary overtime which is routinely needed by many fire and rescue services to maintain fire cover or conduct training of strike breakers between the beginning of the first strike and 9am on Sunday, June 22. Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service has also urged the public to remain vigilant and not become complacent during the two periods of strike action.
Crime
Teacher stabbed by pupil criticises school weapon scanner plans
Victim says teachers should not be turned into “security guards” after Ammanford attack
A TEACHER who was stabbed multiple times by a pupil at a Carmarthenshire school has criticised proposals to introduce weapon scanners in classrooms, warning they risk shifting responsibility onto already overstretched staff.
Liz Hopkin was attacked by a teenage student at Ysgol Dyffryn Aman, Ammanford, on Wednesday (Apr 24, 2024), in an incident that shocked communities across Wales.
Speaking to BBC Radio Wales, Ms Hopkin said she does not believe scanners are “the answer” to preventing violence in schools and warned they could undermine relationships between teachers and pupils.
She said the focus should instead be on preventing young people from bringing weapons to school in the first place.
“This isn’t about preventing people bringing knives into school in the first place. This is just about detection,” she said.
“If by the time you’ve got the knife in school, you’ve missed so many opportunities prior to that to stopping that knife coming in in the first place.”
Ms Hopkin also warned that introducing scanning responsibilities could place teachers in unsafe and inappropriate situations.
“To stop putting the responsibility onto schools — we already have enough responsibility with less and less and less resources,” she said.
“You’re adding the role of security guard to teachers who are trying to build relationships with young people.”
Despite suffering serious injuries in the attack, she said she still did not believe scanners were the right approach.
“In my own head, as somebody who’s been right at that point where I’ve been stabbed — I was stabbed five times and feared that I would die — I still don’t think it’s a good idea,” she said.
The Welsh Government told the BBC that its work around weapons in schools forms part of a wider strategy to improve behaviour, with a strong emphasis on prevention rather than enforcement.
Officials said any decision to use scanners would be made by individual local authorities, and there is no expectation that teachers or school staff should carry out security duties.
Some councils have already trialled handheld scanners. Cardiff Council has supplied them to schools, but they are only used when there is a clear concern a pupil may be carrying a weapon.
The stabbing at Ysgol Dyffryn Aman led to renewed debate about school safety across Wales, including behaviour management, pupil support services, and funding pressures facing education.
Ms Hopkin added: “I would never ever suggest that anybody put themselves at risk to check. That’s not our role.”
(Image: BBC)
Local Government
Pembroke Dock town centre building to get new lease of life
PLANS for a town centre office to a foot clinic have been given the go-ahead.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Mr and Mrs Lloyd, through agent Matthew Hitches Architectural Services, sought permission for a change of use of an existing ground-floor office area to a proposed foot clinic, along with associated works including the demolition and rebuild of a sub-standard single storey extension, at 75 Queen Street, Pembroke Dock.
The application was supported by Pembroke Dock Town Council, which said it welcomed more services in the town.
An officer report recommending approval said the scheme, in the town’s conservation area and on the periphery of the town centre, is flanked to the north by buildings forming part of King Street, to the east by mixed use hairdressers / beauty centre & residential and to the west by mixed use embroidery / printing services and residential.
It said a 2022 council retail survey said the town had a 19 per cent vacant level for Class a retail units, down from 24 per cent the previous year, but above the average for the county and for Wales, at 17 per cent, based on reported data 2023-2025 from the Welsh Retail Consortium.
For the change of commercial class, it said Planning Policy Wales stated “Where economic decline is impacting on a retail and commercial centre, emphasis on retaining A1 uses in premises either in primary or secondary areas, which have been vacant for a period of time, may undermine a centre’s viability and vitality. In such circumstances planning authorities should consider how non-A1 uses may play a greater role to increasing diversity and reducing vacancy levels.”
The report added: “Due to the scale of the development, it is not considered that the proposal would impact negatively vitality or viability of the town centre.”
The application was conditionally approved by county planners.
Business
Still Wild joins St David’s Day food and drink showcase at Spitalfields Market
PEMBROKESHIRE-BASED micro-distillery, Still Wild, will bring its award winning spirits to the heart of London as part of a special food and drink showcase at the iconic Spitalfields Market over St David’s Day weekend.
Taking place on Saturday 28th February and Sunday 1st March, and set within one of London’s most historic food destinations, the market will feature more than a dozen Welsh food and drink producers. The event will celebrate Wales’ position as a modern food nation, renowned for producing world-class food and drink.
Still Wild, which is known for its selection of wild botanical infused vermouth, gins, negronis, aperitif, nocino and vodkas will feature among the curated selection of producers. The Kilgetty based micro distillery launched Wales’ first ever vermouth in 2020 and hand-forages local botanicals to develop products that capture the flavours of the Pembrokeshire coastline.
Using a cold vacuum distillation process Still Wild is able preserve the delicate aromas of its botanicals and natural additives, a technique that has earned the brand international recognition, including a top global ranking at the World Vermouth Awards.

James Harrison-Allen of Still Wild said: “We’re really excited about having the opportunity to showcase our award winning range of vermouths and aperitivos to a London audience. We’ve had a loyal customer base in London via our website ever since we started, but I can’t wait to be pouring drinks in person. We’re really passionate about all the amazing wild Welsh botanicals that we forage, and I’m really eager to share them with everyone.”
Spitalfields Market, with its rich trading heritage and reputation for outstanding produce, provides the perfect backdrop to tell the story of Welsh food and drink to a London audience. Over the weekend, visitors will be invited to discover products that reflect the quality, character and ambition of contemporary Wales – from heritage-inspired favourites to innovative, modern brands.
Celebrating St David’s Day through food
The Spitalfields showcase forms part of a wider St David’s Day celebration being organised by Food & Drink Wales, the Welsh Government’s food division, which alongside its vital role in supporting and nurturing the sector, uses food and drink as a powerful way to express national identity, creativity and pride.
From artisan producers to established Welsh brands, the events will highlight how Wales’s food and drink scene is shaped by its landscape and brought to life by the people who make it.
Deputy First Minister with responsibility for Climate Change and Rural Affairs, Huw Irranca-Davies MS said: “St David’s Day is the perfect moment to celebrate the exceptional quality and creativity of Welsh food and drink producers. From award-winning charcuterie to innovative craft spirits, the businesses showcasing at Spitalfields represent the very best of what Wales has to offer.
“Our food and drink sector is built on strong foundations -protected geographical status, sustainable farming practices and generations of skilled production. But it’s also a sector that continues to evolve, with producers combining their heritage with fresh ideas and ambitious growth plans.
“Events like this are vital for connecting Welsh businesses with new markets and demonstrating to buyers across the UK that Wales is a modern food nation with products that can compete at the highest level.”
-
Health1 day agoWithybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision
-
Health1 day agoHealth board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales
-
Health1 day agoHealth board: Changes will bring “resilience and sustainability” to West Wales services
-
Business3 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Community5 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Community6 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Business4 days agoSvitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute
-
News6 days agoDarren Millar rules out post-election pact with Reform or Plaid






