Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pembroke Dock: New traffic lights causing congestion

Published

on

Long queues: Traffic has been congested for up to a mile (pic. Herald)

MOTORISTS and politicians in Pembroke Dock have slammed new traffic lights on the A477 London Road, saying they make congestion much worse.

Work started at the junction with Ferry Lane in early February to install new traffic lights, street lighting and pedestrian crossings. It was expected to take 17 weeks.

25 weeks later and the junction is still littered with cones and non-operational street lights.

Last week, The Herald reported that work at the site had stopped for several weeks. The Welsh Government agency responsible, South Wales Trunk Road Agent (SWTRA), blamed computer problems and bad weather for the delay.

London Road’s new traffic lights were finally activated on Monday morning (July 30) and almost immediately long queues began to form in all directions.

On Wednesday afternoon (Aug 1), the Pembrokeshire Herald observed traffic queueing back to Bangeston and the Cleddau Bridge toll booths.

At Waterloo roundabout, traffic was at a standstill for several minutes at a time with ferry traffic appearing to compound the problem. One driver wound down his window and shouted to the Herald reporter: “These lights are an almighty cock-up!”

Frustrated drivers: Queues build up in every direction (pic. Herald)

Laura-Jayne from Pembroke Dock said: “The last two nights picking my partner up from work at London Road Industrial Estate has been horrendous. I had to turn left out of that junction and then the back roads through Pembroke back into the Dock.”

Another driver, Heidi from Saundersfoot, said she was stuck in a queue on the A477 stretching back more than a mile to Cosheston.

County Councillor Joshua Beynon and Labour’s parliamentary candidate Marc Tierney have written a joint letter to SWTRA to expressing local concerns: “[We’ve] had multiple complaints from road users who have spent more than 20 minutes just attempting to get through the junction with delays reaching a mile back in some instances. This has turned the area into a gridlocked, congested zone as traffic reaches levels that should not occur in a small town of only 10,000 residents.

“While we appreciate the lights are a new feature to the area, we do not envisage this problem improving over time.”

Cllr Beynon and Mr Tierney invited SWTRA to visit the site and see for themselves the congestion the new traffic lights are causing.

We asked SWTRA for a response.

News

​Pembrokeshire Women’s Institutes visits Senedd

Published

on

MEMBERS from Women’s Institutes across Pembrokeshire visited the Senedd last week.

Mid and West Wales AM Helen Mary Jones met Pembrokeshire residents and gave a speech giving background to her work as an Assembly Member.

The focus of the meeting was how more women can get involved in politics at a local and national level, particularly when marking 100 years since some women got the vote for the first time.

Plaid Cymru Mid and West Wales AM Helen Mary Jones said: “I was pleased to chat with WI members from Pembrokeshire about how we can get more women involved in Welsh politics.

“There are persistent barriers to get more women involved in public life including the cost involved in standing for election, the time it takes particularly because caring activities usually falls on women. There is also a confidence issue.

“While the National Assembly has a strong reputation in relation to balanced gender representation, more has to be done to protect Wales’s achievements. I’m pleased therefore to see the panel on Assembly Electoral Reform recommend parties put forward balanced slates of male and female candidates.

“Women are the minority in our council chambers and in the House of Commons – making up 28 per cent of Welsh county councillors and 28 per cent of Welsh MPs. Plaid Cymru is taking active steps by passing a motion in last week’s conference to increase representation of women. We need deeds not just words.

“The private sector also has a long way to go. In 2017 in Wales, only six per cent of chief executives of the top 100 businesses in Wales are female.

“A number of issues were addressed during the question and answer session from the election of Donald Trump to the need for the protection of services at Withybush Hospital. I made sure the women were aware that the buck stops with the Cabinet Secretary for Health Vaughan Gething when it comes to the health service in Wales.”

Continue Reading

News

Police name Carmarthenshire man killed by Storm Callum landslide

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE has confirmed the man who died in a landslide at Cwmduad during Storm Callum yesterday (Oct 13) is 21-year-old Corey Thomas Sharpling, from Newcastle Emlyn.

Corey’s family has paid tribute to him, saying: “We are heartbroken at the tragic loss of our beautiful son Corey.

“Many knew his wit, charm and sense of loyalty and we take those things with us in our hearts. We would like to thank the community for their support at this time and also friends and colleagues at University of Wales Trinity, St David, Carmarthen.

“As a family we would appreciate time to grieve and ask to be given privacy in which to do so.”

Specialist police officers are supporting Corey’s family. Dyfed-Powys Police is investigating the circumstances of his death.

Inspector Chris Neve said: “Dyfed-Powys Police officers attended the A484 near Cwmduad on Saturday, October 13, following reports a tree had fallen on to the road.

“While officers were dealing with the obstruction a large scale landslide occurred, which tragically resulted in Corey losing his life at the scene.

“We are currently working with partner agencies to make the area safe for residents and road users and I urge people to stay away from the location at this time. The road is closed.

“Corey’s death will no doubt be a shock to the local community and on behalf of Dyfed-Powys Police I offer my deepest sympathy to his family and friends.”

Continue Reading

News

Haverfordwest: THI project to renovate old post office

Published

on

THE OLD Post Office building in Quay Street, Haverfordwest, is undergoing a major refurbishment project thanks to the Haverfordwest Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI).

The grant funders to the THI are the Heritage Lottery Fund, Cadw and Pembrokeshire County Council, which has awarded £100,000 towards the project.

“We’ve been working with the committed Haverhub team for many months now and I’m pleased we’ve been able to support their efforts through this Grant award,” said Cllr Paul Miller, Cabinet Member for Economy, Tourism, Leisure and Culture.

The building, which has been empty for many years, is an example of the high quality neo-Georgian post offices of the inter-war period.

It is constructed from Bath stone ashlar, with its doric colonnaded door and finely-carved royal arms providing striking architectural features.

All the windows will be refurbished or replaced as necessary, with necessary repairs undertaken for the masonry and architectural roof lantern.

Steven Jardine, Project Co-ordinator, said the old Post Office is one of the last projects to benefit from the Haverfordwest THI, which will end by April next year.

“Haverfordwest THI has provided grants of more than £1.5 million in the town since 2016, enabling more than £2 million worth of renovation work to take place to historic properties,” he said.

“The buildings refurbished during the two years include commercial properties at Castle Square, Victoria Terrace, High Street, Mariners Square, and now at Quay Street.”

Haverfordwest County Councillor Tom Tudor, whose ward includes Quay Street, said: “It’s wonderful to see the restoration work providing real regeneration action for Haverfordwest.”

Pictured inside the building are (left to right); Steven Jardine; Malcolm
Arnold, building director; Gitti Coats, founder and project coordinator;
Dan Payne Haverhelper and builder; Tom Symonds, events director,
Cllr Tom Tudor and Jerry Evans, owner and financial manager.

Continue Reading
News19 hours ago

Police name Carmarthenshire man killed by Storm Callum landslide

DYFED-POWYS POLICE has confirmed the man who died in a landslide at Cwmduad during Storm Callum yesterday (Oct 13) is...

News2 days ago

Police urge for only ‘essential travel’ during Storm Callum

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is urging people not to put themselves at risk, as they deal with the fallout of Storm Callum....

News2 days ago

New Transport For Wales train service to start tomorrow

TRANSPORT FOR WALES is taking over the national rail service from Arriva Trains Wales tomorrow (Oct 14). Arriva, who has...

News3 days ago

Jailed Pembroke Dock paedophile loses bid to be set free

AN AGEING Pembrokeshire pervert caught with a huge stash of child porn and a paedophile handbook has failed to convince...

News3 days ago

Storm Callum: Trees blocking roads and flood warnings in place [UPDATED]

AN AMBER weather warning is still in place for Pembriokeshire, with minor incidents being dealt with by Pembrokeshire County Council...

News4 days ago

Refinery blast: Guilty pleas to health and safety charges

VALERO ENERGY UK Ltd and B&A Contracts Limited have admitted Health and Safety charges in connection with the refinery explosion...

News4 days ago

Weather warning upgraded to ‘Amber’ for most of Pembrokeshire

PEMBROKESHIRE will face severe weather as Storm Callum passes to the northwest of the UK the MET Office has said....

News5 days ago

Johnston: Councillors frustrated at A4076 safety risk

COMMUNITY Councillors have expressed their continuing concern about the danger posed by a narrow pavement on the main A4076 road...

News6 days ago

Cabinet approves Ocky White purchase at £250K

CABINET members praised the intervention of a key scrutiny committee in helping to secure a reduced price for the former...

News6 days ago

Over half of smokers in Wales have bought illegal tobacco

IT WAS an ordinary one week family holiday to Turkey, for a 45-year old Pembrokeshire man and his family. Like...

Popular This Week