Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

featured

Government acts of porn access

Published

on

THE UK will become the first country in the world to bring in age-verification for online pornography when the measures come into force on July 15, 2019.

It means that commercial providers of online pornography will be required by law to carry out robust age-verification checks on users, to ensure that they are 18 or over. The move is backed by 88% of UK parents with children aged 7-17, who agree there should be robust age-verification controls in place to stop children seeing pornography online.

Websites that fail to implement age-verification technology face having payment services withdrawn or being blocked for UK users.

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the new laws. They have confirmed that they will begin enforcement on 15 July, following an implementation period to allow websites time to comply with the new standards.

UK Minister for Digital Margot James said: “Adult content is currently far too easy for children to access online. The introduction of mandatory age-verification is a world-first, and we’ve taken the time to balance privacy concerns with the need to protect children from inappropriate content. We want the UK to be the safest place in the world to be online, and these new laws will help us achieve this.”

Government has listened carefully to privacy concerns and is clear that age-verification arrangements should only be concerned with verifying age, not identity. In addition to the requirement for all age-verification providers to comply with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) standards, the BBFC have created a voluntary certification scheme, the Age-verification Certificate (AVC), which will assess the data security standards of AV providers. The AVC has been developed in cooperation with industry, with input from the government.

Certified age-verification solutions which offer these robust data protection conditions will be certified following an independent assessment and will carry the BBFC’s new green ‘AV’ symbol. Details will also be published on the BBFC’s age-verification website, ageverificationregulator.comso consumers can make an informed choice between age-verification providers.

BBFC Chief Executive David Austin said: “The introduction of age-verification to restrict access to commercial pornographic websites to adults is a groundbreaking child protection measure. Age-verification will help prevent children from accessing pornographic content online and means the UK is leading the way in internet safety.

“On entry into force, consumers will be able to identify that an age-verification provider has met rigorous security and data checks if they carry the BBFC’s new green ‘AV’ symbol.”

The change in the law is part of the Government’s commitment to making the UK the safest place in the world to be online, especially for children. It follows last week’s publication of the Online Harms White Paper which set out clear responsibilities for tech companies to keep UK citizens safe online, how these responsibilities should be met and what would happen if they are not.

CEO of Internet Matters Carolyn Bunting said: “We are delighted to see the government tackling the issue of online pornography. Children seeing online content for which they’re not emotionally ready can be very damaging, especially if they don’t speak out about it.

“While our research shows that parents overwhelmingly support age-verification and are confident it will make a difference, we must recognise that digital solutions aren’t the only answer and parents can’t become complacent about their child’s digital world.

“There is no substitute to having regular and honest conversations with your child about what they’re getting up to online, establishing an open dialogue about their digital life from a young age.”

Will Gardner, CEO of Childnet said: “We hope that the introduction of this age-verification will help in protecting children, making it harder for young people to accidentally come across online pornography, as well as bringing in the same protections that we use offline to protect children from age-restricted goods or services.

“Talking to children is vital and education has a major part to play here, and we need to ensure all young people are given a platform to discuss the pressures they face online and have the skills to spot and understand the gap between perception and reality. We are releasing a new extended PSHE toolkit later this month to address the issue of online pornography along with related topics of body image and healthy relationships.

“We know that conversations with young people, parents and carers and teachers are paramount to giving children the information, support and skills that they need.”

Continue Reading

featured

Oil refinery exported to Pakistan from Pembroke Port

Published

on

THE FINAL parts of a decommissioned oil refinery have been successfully exported to Pakistan from Pembroke Port in a six-week operation.

The former Murco refinery in Pembrokeshire closed in 2014 and during the past three years over 13,000 tonnes of cargo has been transported over the quay in seven exports to southern Asia.

Over the past couple of months, 1,690 tonnes worth of components were exported on the heavy lift vessel Regine and 1,125 tonnes on the Maria. The largest lift weighed 315 tonnes and measured 21.3m x 8.8m x 8.3m.

In addition to these heavy lift vessels, the Terra Marique barge was positioned at Gelliswick Bay to load the parts that were too large to be transported by road and taken to Pembroke Port along the Milford Haven Waterway. This was a specialist operation as sand had to be dug out of the beach, a ramp built and parts were driven onto the barge when the tide allowed.

Operation underway: The Maria at Pembroke Port

Previously in June this year, 2,227 tonnes were exported on the Grietje and last year 4,865 tonnes were exported on the Annemieke, Regine and Frauke. In 2017, 3,240 tonnes of parts were loaded onto the largest vessel to visit to Pembroke Port, the Combi Dock III.

Chris Oliver, Operations Manager at Pembroke Port, commented “The export of the refinery components from Pembroke Port ran smoothly and efficiently. We deal with a wide range of cargoes on a daily basis but this was definitely one of the larger operations in recent years. Our site is flexible in accommodating numerous sectors including breakbulk, renewables, heavy lift operations and storage with a highly experienced team on hand to deliver a safe and professional service.”

Continue Reading

featured

Caldey Classic Motorcycle Run huge success

Published

on

OVER 50 bikes set off from Tenby Harbour on the weekend (Jun 7) for The Caldey Classic Motorcycle weekend.

With the permission of the Harbourmaster Chris Salisbury and Sarah Edwards of Pembrokeshire Country Council, the bikes left Tenby pier and followed a 90-mile route through the beautiful countryside of Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire, taking in the South Pembrokeshire Coast and heading north from Whitland through to the tea stop Caffi’r Sqwar in Maenchochog.

The quaint little village also supplied petrol for participants, who then drank in the wonderful vistas of the Preseli Hills along past Waldo’s Stone to Eglwyswrw, finally heading to Nevern’s Trewern Arms for lunch.

The afternoon route visited the wonderful Gwaun Valley, past Gellifawr and then headed to Tufton, Clarbeston Road, Llawhaden, Carew back to Tenby via Gumfreston.

There were many spectators on the harbour on Saturday and Sunday morning and a fantastic crowd witnessed the prize giving Ceremony at the harbour on Saturday afternoon.

Prizes were awarded by Chairman Dai Garland and Clerk of the Course Huw Adams, which were as follows:

– Best Bike: John Mackay from Llandewi Velfrey
– Most meritorious: Kathleen Evans – Bristol
– Most interesting: Morgan Thomas – Nantgaredig
– Chairman’s Choice: John Hobden Plymouth
– Biggest combined age of rider and bike: Phil Hallett

Friday saw participants taken around the Tudor Merchants House and the RNLI Tenby Lifeboat Station. The bikers were delighted to be shown the inside of the boat by the Chief Mechanic.

Sunday was a short route from Tenby through Wisemans Bridge, Amroth, Pendine and Laugharne heading back to Caffle Brewery in Llawhaden for participants to purchase the Caldey Classic brew from Club member Chris Salisbury.

Clerk of the Course, Huw Adams, said: “Participants were delighted with our new location at Tenby Harbour and it provided a fantastic Backdrop for the event.

“The sun was shining and everyone enjoyed the relaxed format this year. I am sure the event will grow in popularity every year. We are particularly grateful to Alun Williams from Celtic Motorcycles and Scooters for sponsoring the event and major motorcycle media outlets for sponsoring the goody bags.

“Our thanks to all participants mainly from the Pembrokeshire Vintage and Classic Motorcycle Club but also some guests from Bristol, Plymouth and Brighton but the furthest travelled participant was Neil Collins from New Zealand. The event is the second rally that Neil has taken part in here in his homeland of Pembrokeshire.”

 

Mary Adams organiser Harbourmaster Chris Bannister with Mike Simon Chief Marshall and clerk of the Course Huw Adams

 

Glyn Garland first away with Clerk of the Course Huw Adams and Chief Marshall Mike Simon

 

Phil Hallett from Simpsons Cross on his 1954 BSA Goldflash – winner combined age of rider and bike

 

Malcolm and Hazel Graham from Brighton on a AJS.

 

Nigel and Jane Hodson from Llandowror with his 2008 Triumph Bonneville Outfit.

 

Participants from the Caldey Classic Weekend

 

Leader of the Pack – Alun Williams Sponsor from Celtic Scooters and Motorcycles in Milford Haven leader of the pack filled by Russell Leahy from Saundersfoot and Andy and Maz Davies from Haverfordwest on the Presell mountains

 

Adam Guinness from Bristol on the Bimota. This bike is older than it looks and is in amazing condition.

 

James Adams from Tavernspite on his Norton Dominator.

 

Best Bike out at the Weekend was John Mackay from Llandewi Velfrey.

 

The Square in Maenchochog taken over by bikes for the tea stop.

 

The Best bike of the weekend and the most interesting lined up side by side. The Matchless Model X owned by John Mackay who won the Concours Prize and the OK Supreme riden by Morgan Thomas winning the most interesting Prize
in its unrestored but rideable condition. A KTM riden by john Hobden in the rain on Friday from Plymouth and Richard Stubbs from Pembroke fixing his rider onto the BMW R26.

 

Passenger Kath Harries with her goody bag from Bonhams, Mortons media, Bmf, Royal Enfield goodies in that all riders received. Thanks to Alun from Celtic Scooters and motorcycles who sponsored
the impressive Rider Caldey Classic plaques.

 

Wonderful view for these bikes overlooking the harbour at the weekend.

 

Neil Collins from New Zealand with his brother and sister in law Phil Collings and Sue.

 

Chris Thomas from Nantgaredig in his 1934 BSA TW34 on three wheels. The oldest vehicle on view.

 

Alan Houghton from Fishguard on his Moto Guzzi enjoyed the North Pembrokeshire Vistas of the Presell Mountains.

 

Mary Adams, organiser, Chris Bannister Harbourmaster, Mike Simon Marshall and Huw Adams Clerk of the Course with the wonderful Backdrop of Tenby Harbour at the Caldey Classic Event in Pembrokeshire.
The event is run under the auspices of the Pembrokeshire Vintage and Classic Motorcycle Club.

 

Continue Reading

featured

D-Day rescue boat will be in Milford Haven for 75th anniversary commemoration

Published

on

MILFORD HAVEN will be commemorating 75 years since the D Day landings in Normandy on Thursday, with the Royal British Legion’s local branch organising a service at 11am on The Rath.

But this years’ service will be extra special because out in The Haven an original WW2 RAF air sea rescue launch, which was in Normandy during the invasion, will be motoring past for all to see.

Call sign 441, the RAF high speed launch and her crew rescued the entire crew of a downed B17 aircraft during the Operation Overlord.

Owned by Mr Alistair and Mrs Marion Walker, it is the only working example of its type and during WW2 served at RAF Pembroke Dock

These craft were constructed by the British Power Boat Co, Hythe Nr Southampton. and were designed by George Salman as seaplane tenders. Power was supplied by 2 x 130 hp Perkins diesel engines giving a speed of 23 knots and were constructed between 1941 –1944.

The main work was running the crews out to moored aircraft and acting as tugs and service craft. As the war progressed and more use was made of land bases, they became surplus to requirements. However, a new role was found for them to provide a comprehensive A.S.R cover of the waters around the coast and to this end it was necessary to use some of the smaller tidal harbours. It was almost impossible to use any of the larger High Speed craft for this purpose, and the Seaplane tenders were ideal fitted the role admirably.

Some of the notable rescues by these small craft such as no 1515 operating out of Lyme Regis picked up 26 paratroops from Lyme Bay on D Day and 441 is known to have res¬cued a complete crew of a Fortress bomber and 444 the crew of a Lancaster who were located by light signals.

The RAF Search and Rescue Force

The Marine Craft Section (MCS) was created just days after the formation of the Royal Air Force (RAF) in 1918, but would achieve fame for its role in air-sea rescue operations during the Second World War.

As the UK entered the Second World War, the MCS found itself ill-prepared for war. During the Battle of Britain, the MCS could only keep 10 of 13 High Speed Launch (HSL) boats available for air-sea rescue operations at any one time. The high performance of the craft was at the expense of the service life of the engines, at only 360 hours. Even with the help of civilian vessels and the Royal Navy, aircrew who baled out or ditched in the North Sea and English Channel had only a 20% chance of being returned to their squadrons. Between mid-July and October 1940, the UK lost 215 pilots and aircrew to the seas.

In light of this, in 1941, an emergency meeting was convened by Air Marshal Sir Arthur Harris. The Royal Navy offered to take over sea rescue operations in their entirety. The RAF declined and subsequently created the Directorate of Air Sea Rescue in February 1941.

Operationally it was to be known as Air Sea Rescue Services (ASRS), later becoming the RAF Search and Rescue Force. Together with the expansion of the ASRS component of the MCS, the ASRS worked to improve the survival of aircrews through the development and issue of better individual survival equipment. By the end of the Second World War, more than 8,000 aircrew and 5,000 civilians had been rescued, and the MCS had some 300 HSLs and over 1,000 other vessels, located not just in the waters around the UK, but around the world.

After the war, the MCS was granted full branch status in 1947, however the role of the new branch would be greatly reduced post-war. This was due to a variety of factors, including the end of the British Empire, the withdrawal of flying boats from service and the increasing use of helicopters in air-sea rescue. The branch was disbanded in 1986.

Continue Reading
News5 hours ago

Jury out in chip shop murder trial

THE JURY has retired to consider its verdict regarding the trial of a man who is charged with murdering his...

News10 hours ago

Firefighters tackle blaze at St Clears

A FIRE broke out in a commercial garage at Lower St Clears this morning (Monday). Firefighters were called to the...

News11 hours ago

Haverfordwest man accused of robbing a teenage boy

A HAVERFORDWEST man is to stand trial accused of trying to rob a 13-year-old boy. Ry Robert Williams, aged 27,...

News3 days ago

Residents invited to a Pembroke Tunnel drop-in event

NETWORK RAIL is inviting residents to a drop-in event to find out more about essential maintenance work at Pembroke Tunnel,...

News3 days ago

“We have a duty to win” says Crabb at campaign launch

STEPHEN CRABB has launched his 2019 General Election campaign, highlighting the ‘duty and responsibility’ the Party has to win. The...

News3 days ago

Christmas shopping misery for west Wales rail users

RAIL USERS in west Wales face festive misery due to engineering works which will close the Carmarthen to Milford Haven...

News4 days ago

Council criticised over delays to One Planet Developments

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has come under fierce attack for how it handles One Planet Developments, one of the Welsh Government’s schemes to promote a...

News4 days ago

Local candidates for the General Election have been confirmed

THE CANDIDATES for the Pembrokeshire constituencies for the 2019 General Election have now been confirmed, Pembrokeshire County Council has said....

News4 days ago

How the Lottery has helped Pembrokeshire

AS THE NATIONAL LOTTERY celebrates its 25th Birthday next week, charities and community groups in Pembrokeshire are marking the incredible impact...

News4 days ago

TV restoration show searching for local sheds in Pembrokeshire

POPULAR Channel 4 restoration show Find It, Fix It, Flog It is looking for local sheds across Pembrokeshire. The series...

Popular This Week