Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Haverfordwest: Over 150 people at anti-Tory rally in Castle Square

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE PEOPLE’S ASSEMBLY and Momentum West Wales held a rally on Saturday (Nov 16) on Castle Square, Haverfordwest which was themed ‘UnseatStephen Crabb The Sequel’ – following on from a similar rally last year. The plan, say organisers, was to raise awareness of the damage that has been done to society under ten years of Tory austerity and cuts and to ultimately Unseat both Stephen Crabb and Simon Hart at the General Election next month.  There is a similar rally planned to take place on Guildhall Square, Carmarthen on Sunday (Nov 24) and organisers say that the Tory Free Zone Campaign is “already taking off and gaining much traction and support around the two counties.” The rally on Saturday was attended by around 150 people, and featured speakers from a wide variety of campaign groups and unions.  

Protesters criticised Stephen Crabb, who tweeted on the day of the rally inferring that ‘Labour’ had bussed people in for the event.  

Jim Scott, Convener of Pembrokeshire People’s Assembly commented: “Stephen should check his facts before making false claims about the events we are putting to Unseat him, It’s encouraging to know that he’s’rattled’ by what we are doing here, and of course he will be very rattled, as his 314 vote margin is likely to be lost altogether on December 12 so he must be very nervous in the knowledge that he’s likely to lose his seat. However, Labour were not the organisers of the event and didn’t ‘bus’ anyone in. A handful of people came from Swansea to support the rally, two of whom were official speakers for the rally, when you think about it though. this is more of an indictment on Crabb’s record as an MP. The very fact he is vehemently disliked by so many people in West Wales that some are willing to travel from s far as Swansea says far more about ‘him’ and his Party of austerity than it does about ‘us’, but then we wouldn’t expect Stephen to understand the concept of people supporting each other in struggle, that would be anathema to his thinking and his Party of the super-rich! ” Stevie Jones, Secretary for Momentum West Wales said before the tally: “In 2017, the Unseat Campaign, working together with activists across the People’s Assembly and broader left levelled the biggest rally against neighbouring Tory Stephen Crabb since the Suffragettes came to West Wales!  Labour are rising hour by hour in the polls at a rate that is now unstoppable.

“Simon Hart’s majority stands at just 3,110, and Labour gained a massive 5,089votes in Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire in the last election. We knowwe can unseat him on 12th December and this starts with starts with peopletalking in their workplaces, around kitchen tables, online and to friends,family to get the message out there that Labour can and will win.

“But that’s not where it ends.  “Momentum, who started a mass canvassing movement so huge that it won6,865 new votes with an epic 150-person door-knocking team to unseat Byron Davies in the Gower for Labour in 2017, has been growing in West Wales since2017, and we are ready.”

Berry Daines who was the Green Party candidate who stood down in order to back Marc Tierney said:”I was pleased to support the Unseat Crabb rally in Haverfordwest. Pembrokeshire has parliamentary representatives who choose to vote against the interests and well-being of their constituents. It was good to spend the afternoon with friends who are looking forward to voting for candidates who are willing to consider far greener policies.” Cerith Griffiths – Fire Brigades Union (FBU) Executive Council Member for Wales said: “I don’t think it can be understated how important this rally was given we’re about a month away from one of the most pivotal elections of our time. In terms of the fire & rescue service and during this decade or so of austerity, we’ve seen 10’s of fire stations close, dozens of fire appliances removed from service and we see 12,000 fewer firefighters keeping us safe day and night. Statistics released earlier this week show that the number of fires we attend has increased and the number of people dying from fire has also increased. Investment is desperately needed in the fire & rescue service and we simply cannot afford another five years of Tory ideology.’

Nimisha Trivedi – Stand Up to Racism Wales said: “It was important tosupport the rally as during this election, anti-immigration and anti-migrant policies are going to be pushed by the government and others to continue pushing their hostile racist agenda.  “It is crucial that all anti racists challenge this and defend the right of refugees, migrants and freedom of movement. Matthew Shepherd – Communications Officer for Swansea Council Unison said:“I supported this inspiring event in a personal capacity because all workers in the public and private sector have been hammered by the Tories. We need strong and fighting unions to keep our rights – and a radical Labour government to roll back the attacks on our lives inflicted by Tory austerity. A great event and let’s make Wales Tory-free!” Moira Jenkins – Pembrokeshire WASPI said: “It was inspiring and humbling to represent Pembrokeshire WASPI and be part of such an amazing event that brought the community together with a common goal.  

Philippa Thompson, Labour Parliamentary Candidate for Preseli Pembrokeshire, who spoke at the rally added: “I believe in equality,fairness and social justice.Austerity – the cuts to our public services – has been a political choice and many people here in this Pembrokeshire have faced hardship because of this Tory choice. Families, working families, should not need to rely on foodbanks – local charities to an amazing job helping people in incredibly difficult circumstances. “I’ve met families whose lives have been put under intolerable stress through the process around payments to people unable to work because of illness or disability. It’s been reported in the news only recently that four in five appeals in Wales against UK Tory Government decisions to deny people disability benefits succeeded. What an inhumane system that is. “The Welsh budget has been consistently cut by the Tories. That impacts on the levers available to the Welsh Government to invest in our public services. I’m standing for the Labour Party because I believe a Labour Government will invest in our country to bring about real change”.

Continue Reading

News

Simon’s Hart to Hart with Pembroke constituent

Published

on

SIMON HART has got into a heated doorstep discussion with a Pembroke pensioner whilst canvasing for next week’s general election.

Michael Hart, 70, who is no relation to Simon Hart, contacted The Herald at lunchtime today (5 December) to say that he had been in a heated discussion with the Tory incumbent, who was out door-knocking on his street.

The argument was sparked by the swastika saga – as exclusively reported in last week’s Herald – in which Simon Hart REFUSES to account for the appearance of offensive Nazi graffiti on one of his election placards, two years after it was taken down from public display.

Simon Hart photographed the placard in question in 2017 – at which point the only evidence of graffiti it bore was written text. But he posted a new photograph of the same placard to kickstart his re-election campaign last month, in which two swastikas are visible where none appeared before.

The MP is still refusing to give any public explanation, and has threatened legal action against those speculating over what he says is “demonstrably untrue.”
Since being reported by his favourite local weekly, Michael Hart tells us that he noticed how Simon Hart was still keeping quiet on the swastikas’ appearance – despite being approached by journalists reporting on the matter for the Independent, Daily Mirror, iNews and Western Mail titles.

Earlier this week WalesOnline reported that, when approached, Simon Hart failed to offer “an explanation as to how the swastika signs ended up on the election board, or who might be responsible”, but he told them: “Any suggestion that I had anything to do with this is malicious, false and defamatory and lawyers have been instructed”.

Michael Hart tells the Herald that he became aware Simon Hart was out campaigning on Kingsbridge Drive at lunchtime, when the candidate’s poster landed on his doormat.

The retiree says that the swastika issue led to the disagreement – in which words were exchanged and threats of legal action were inferred made towards him by the government minister.

Michael Hart, a retired teacher and mechanical engineer, said that he tackled Simon Hart to explain how the swastikas came about. He says his prodding produced what he calls a “tentative explanation” from the Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire incumbent, which he finds “hard to believe”.

“I opened my door and went out to the drive, and politely said I did not want the poster. A few moments later, Simon Hart came up the road and onto my drive.

“I complained to him about two things – the Conservatives’ illegal proroguing of Parliament, and all that I’ve read about his publishing of the photo on his Facebook page of his defaced election board with the swastikas on.

“When I asked him about the signs, he got agitated, angry, and threatened me with legal action, and said he would pursue anybody who made out that he had anything to do with it”.

“On pushing him further, he told me how he thinks they got there. He says when his signs were in storage in a shed, that the shed was broken into, and a large number of placards including the swastika placard were ‘damaged or defaced’ for a second time!

“It really is quite some theory – and if it is true now, then it was true last week when the issue was first exposed. So why didn’t he mention this before now, when the Herald and other papers started asking him questions, or why didn’t he contact the police?

“Why was it when he put the poster on Facebook did he not then explain how the swastikas got there?

“I’m not sure why but he was recording our conversation on his phone. At the end of the visit no one from Mr Hart’s party would accept the poster back – so I threw it in the road and then it was picked up.”

Continue Reading

News

Jeremy Corbyn 100% confirmed to visit Pembrokeshire this weekend

Published

on

LABOUR leader Jeremy Corbyn will be visiting Pembrokeshire this weekend to shore up support for Labour candidates in the area.

Although the exact itinerary has not yet been confirmed, Labour HQ in Cardiff has confirmed to The Pembrokeshire Herald that Mr Corbyn will definitely be in attendance.

Mr Corbyn will be keen to rally votes for Philippa Thompson, who is standing in the Preseli Pembrokeshire seat – the second most marginal in the UK.

At the 2017 election she lost to Stephen Crabb by just 314 votes.

An email sent out to Labour members states: “Jeremy Corbyn will be in Haverfordwest to talk about how we win a better society, and we hope you can join him.

“This election is a once in a generation chance for us. Together we can reverse a decade of austerity. Take power from the billionaires, the bad bosses and the big polluters and give it to workers, young people, communities and everyone the Tories have failed for so long.

“We’re coming together to make our voices heard in Haverfordwest this weekend. This is about getting together, being inspired, and making a difference in the final week.”

The exact location will be sent out to those who register to attend, the email ads. The indoor rally is expected to start at 5.30pm.

Corbyn’s supporters said they hope that their leader will also attend an outdoor rally taking place in Haverfordwest town centre, at a location to be confirmed, the same afternoon.

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Haverfordwest boy caught taking drugs by officers thirty miles away

Published

on

A TEENAGE boy was arrested in Haverfordwest last week, after he was caught smoking cannabis on CCTV cameras which are monitored in Carmarthen (on Nov 28).

As part of the ongoing effort to crack down on anti-social behaviour in the town centre, known as Operation Spitfire, Haverfordwest Inspector, Reuben Palin, was at police headquarters, where the cameras are monitored, when he spotted the boy on-screen.

He saw a group of teenagers known to police, and the camera operator was able to zoom in for a closer look at their activities. After a call to local officers, they quickly arrived at the scene. The group was searched and one of the youths was arrested for possessing the class B drug.

Insp. Palin said: “We’re doing all we can to address community concerns about anti-social behaviour in Haverfordwest, and this includes putting the town’s new CCTV system to best use.

“Seeing the capability of the cameras in live-time has shown that CCTV is not just useful when an incident has occurred, but can also help us monitor what’s happening in town, and will hopefully deter bad behaviour.

“Obviously this can’t replace good old fashioned foot patrols, and we have a plan that sees CCTV complementing a visible police presence.”

The teenage boy arrested on suspicion of possessing the small amount of cannabis admitted the offence, and will be dealt with by the Youth Offending Team to ensure he gets support for his drug use.

He continued: “We are also working with other agencies, in particular the council, which has recently opened a drop-in centre for young people at No 2 Old Bridge, with the aim of offering a wide range of activities and opportunities that reflect their interests.

“While we have a strategy to minimise anti-social behaviour in this area, we would like to remind parents that the actions of their children are not the responsibility of the police. We urge you to be aware of what your children are doing, and where they are spending their time.

“No one should have to put up with anti-social behaviour and I would encourage the community to contact Haverfordwest Police to report any issues or concerns.”

Continue Reading
News2 days ago

Simon’s Hart to Hart with Pembroke constituent

SIMON HART has got into a heated doorstep discussion with a Pembroke pensioner whilst canvasing for next week’s general election....

Politics2 days ago

Chancellor visits local pioneering software company

PRESELI’S Conservative candidate Stephen Crabb has welcomed the Chancellor, Sajid Javid, to Pembrokeshire to visit a pioneering education software company....

News2 days ago

Jeremy Corbyn 100% confirmed to visit Pembrokeshire this weekend

LABOUR leader Jeremy Corbyn will be visiting Pembrokeshire this weekend to shore up support for Labour candidates in the area....

News2 days ago

Haverfordwest boy caught taking drugs by officers thirty miles away

A TEENAGE boy was arrested in Haverfordwest last week, after he was caught smoking cannabis on CCTV cameras which are...

News2 days ago

Tenby: Flowers taken in shop smash and grab

POLICE are investigating a burglary in the Tenby that took place between the hours of 23:30 on Friday the 29th...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Police investigating sexual assault of girl, 16, near tennis courts

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for witnesses after a 16-year-old girl was sexually assaulted near the tennis courts at Pill Lane,...

News4 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Police want help to locate missing man Lewis Haines

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for information that could help them find missing Lewis Haines, from Pembroke Dock. Lewis was last...

News5 days ago

Milford Haven: Witnesses sought over disturbance outside Greggs bakery

POLICE in Milford Haven  are appealing for witnesses following a violent incident in Milford Haven over the weekend. Officers were...

News7 days ago

Milford Haven: Bakery sealed off following altercation

POLICE responded to an incident in Greggs bakery in Milford Haven on Saturday afternoon, and arrested a man. A witness...

News7 days ago

Simon Hart under pressure to explain swastikas on election sign

THE RE-ELECTION campaign of south-county MP Simon Hart is mired in controversy, as the Tory flatly refuses to publicly respond...

Popular This Week