News
Hydro scheme for dam

Hydro power: Llys-y-fran.
ENGINEERING giant, AMCO has put forward a planning application to develop a further hydro power turbine at Llys y Fran. The existing turbine, which generates around 29kw of electricity and was refurbished, will be supplemented downstream by a new turbine providing 250kw, enough – it is claimed – to provide energy to around 340 homes.
A Dwr Cymru Welsh Water spokesperson said: “Welsh Water has developed several key renewable energy projects in recent years to help it power its sites more sustainably. “As a company without any shareholders, our sole focus is on providing the best possible service to our customers at the most affordable price.
“We always look at ways of becoming more efficient and providing value for money and generating our own electricity will help us keep our costs down and our bills lower, whilst helping to safeguard the environment at the same time.”
News
Pembrokeshire Senedd Tories slam devolution policing power grab
PEMBROKESHIRE’S Senedd Members Paul Davies and Samuel Kurtz have blasted fresh calls to hand control of policing from Westminster to Cardiff Bay.
Following renewed calls from Plaid and Labour to transfer responsibility for policing in Wales to the Senedd, the pair confirmed that a Welsh Conservative Government in May would block any such move.

While proposals to devolve policing have been raised since the creation of the Senedd, there remains strong opposition, especially as England and Wales already share one legal system.
They say the plan would create more red tape, not safer streets. And they warned it cuts both ways. Any move towards a single police force in Wales would be just as bad — an idea from Westminster they flatly dismiss as out of touch.
Commenting, Paul Davies said: “Those advocating the devolution of policing are mistaken if they believe it will improve police services in Pembrokeshire.”
“Rather than creating another costly layer of bureaucracy in Cardiff Bay, the four Welsh forces should focus on making better use of their existing budgets.”
“We need stronger rural crime teams, greater investment in early intervention and youth services, and support for community-led crime prevention. The tools already exist within Dyfed-Powys Police, devolution is not a magic wand.”
Samuel Kurtz added: “Further devolution is not in the interests of Pembrokeshire residents, and there is little public demand for it.”
“Currently, all four Welsh forces either require improvement or are delivering only the minimum standard on key metrics and this has got to change.”
“Communities like ours need policing that tackles rural crime, theft from vehicles and anti-social behaviour. Debates over whether the UK or Welsh Government is in charge are a distraction and will delay delivering the improvements people want to see.”
News
Government backs down after Reform legal challenge over postponed local elections
Ministers withdraw decision affecting 30 councils as court claim resolved
THE UK GOVERNMENT has withdrawn its decision to postpone local council elections in England scheduled for May 2026 after a legal challenge brought by Reform UK, according to official court correspondence seen by The Herald.
A letter from the Government Legal Department, dated Monday (Feb 16), confirms that the Secretary of State has decided to reverse the earlier postponement “in the light of recent legal advice”, meaning the elections will now proceed as planned in May.
The claim — Reform UK Party Limited v Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government — had been lodged in the Administrative Court in London.
The correspondence states that the Housing Minister, who had not been involved in the original decision, was asked to reconsider the position urgently due to the tight timetable. Following that review, ministers concluded that the elections should go ahead.
The Government has also indicated it will seek to agree an order with the claimant to formally dispose of the case and will pay Reform UK’s legal costs.
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage claimed victory following the development, writing on social media that the party had “taken this Labour government to court and won”.
He added: “In collusion with the Tories, Keir Starmer tried to stop 4.6 million people voting on May 7th. Only Reform UK fights for democracy.”
The Government has not publicly commented in detail on the claim itself, but the letter makes clear that the reversal was prompted by legal advice rather than a full court judgment.
The dispute centred on the proposed postponement of elections across 30 local authorities, a move which critics argued would have delayed millions of voters from going to the polls.
With the decision now withdrawn, preparations for May’s local elections are expected to proceed as normal.

Local Government
MoD plans for Pembrokeshire site submitted to council
PLANS for specialist MoD air traffic radio direction finding equipment works at Pembrokeshire’s Cawdor barracks, where a ‘DARC’ deep space radar facility is proposed, have been submitted to the council.
Cawdor barracks, Brawdy, is occupied by the 14th Signal Regiment who are due to vacate the Barracks in 2028.
A formal screening opinion call, under Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations, submitted to Pembrokeshire County Council by agent Montagu Evans on behalf of the ministry of Defence (MoD) has been submitted relating to renewal works to be undertaken to the air traffic equipment at Cawdor Barracks.
A supporting statement says: “The Ministry of Defence are progressing a full planning application with associated Environmental Statement for a Deep Space Advanced Radar Capability (DARC) Facility on part of the barracks site.
“ This project has yet to be submitted for approval and is being brought forward independently of the renewal works to the Radio Direction Finder.
“The Cawdor Barracks airfield includes a Directional Finder (DF) which forms part of the service operated under a requirement from the National Air Traffic Services (NATS) and the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
“It forms part of the nation-wide system automatic triangulation and distress, and diversion network regulate by the CAA on behalf of NATS. It is located towards the centre of the airfield.
“The network of DF installations is a civilian rather than military requirement, and allows bearing data to be provided to the Distress and Diversion Cell at NATS Swanwick. This is a national service which locates and supports aircraft in distress and manages the diversion of other aircraft.
“The current DF equipment comprises a 0.5m cabinet for electronics, a counterpose mounted the building which holds the ultra-high frequency antennas and a mast upon which the antenna array of 18 antennas is mounted.
“The existing DF equipment is reaching the end of its operational life and must be replaced at a manner which allows for continued operations. It is to be replaced with a High-Resolution Direction Finder (HRDF) which is being managed under the Ministry of Defence’s MARSHALL programme.
The new equipment will allow signals to be received from aircraft up to approximately 90 nautical miles (Nm) from the site, providing maximum coverage of the area through including the Bristol Channel and St Georges Channel.
“The existing DF will remain operational during installation of the new equipment. Once the HRDF is operational, the existing system will be decommissioned and removed from the site. Works are to commence in early 2026 and completed by early 2027.”
-
Health5 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community6 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime3 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community16 hours agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime5 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Education3 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community2 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Climate6 days agoPlans for £40m Newgale coastal road upgrade put on hold








