Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Local Government

Residents invited to comment on plans to remove air quality zones

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL is asking residents for their views on proposals to remove Air Quality Management Areas (AQMAs) in parts of Haverfordwest and Pembroke following sustained improvements in pollution levels.

The Council says it remains committed to monitoring air quality across the county to protect public health. In 2012, several streets in both towns were designated as AQMAs after assessments showed that traffic-related pollution, particularly nitrogen dioxide (NO₂), had the potential to exceed national air quality objectives.

Since then, monitoring data has shown significant and consistent improvements.

Officials say nitrogen dioxide levels in both locations have remained comfortably within national standards for a number of years. Improvements in vehicle emissions technology and changes to traffic flow are believed to be key factors behind the reduction.

As a result, the Council is proposing to revoke the AQMA designations. However, air quality monitoring will continue to ensure standards remain within safe limits.

How to take part

Residents can share their views by completing an online survey before Thursday, March 20, 2026.

The survey is available at:
https://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/have-your-say/revocation-of-air-quality-management-areas

Anyone who would prefer a paper copy can contact the Council’s Customer Contact Centre on 01437 764551 or email [email protected].

 

Community

Hywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week

Published

on

DECISIONS following Hywel Dda University Heath Board’s recent consultation on nine of its services, which includes 22 alternatives to the initial options proposed, are to take place at a special two-day extraordinary meeting next week.

Last year, the Health Board consulted with its communities on options for change in critical care, dermatology, emergency general surgery, endoscopy, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, stroke, radiology and urology.

It said its Clinical Services Plan focuses on nine healthcare services that are “fragile and in need of change”.

At the launch of the consultation it said the services, and potential changes at the four main hospitals of Haverfordwest’s Withybush, Carmarthen’s Glangwili, Llanelli’s Prince Philip and Aberystwyth’s Bronglais, would see no changes to how people access emergency care (A&E) or minor injury care as part of the consultation, with an ongoing separate consultation on minor injury care at Prince Philip.

These nine clinical services were selected because of risks to them being able to continue to offer safe, high-quality services, or care in a timely manner, the board has previously said.

The proposed changes, with many different options in each of the nine services across the area, could mean some hospitals gaining or losing services, along with community site options in some cases.

An independent consultation report prepared by Opinion Research Services is part of the information the Board will consider on February 18 and 19; with more than 4,000 questionnaire responses in addition to the feedback shared at public events, staff meetings and stakeholder sessions.

During the consultation, communities shared an additional 190 alternative ideas for the services, which have been narrowed down to 22.

These will be considered alongside the options that were shared during the consultation, with members also considering whether further engagement, or additional information may be required, before a final decision is made.

Of the nine areas, critical care has three options, and one alternative; dermatology four options; emergency general surgery, two options and two alternative; endoscopy, three options and one alternative; ophthalmology, three options and six alternatives; orthopaedics, four options and five alternatives; stroke, two options and two alternatives; radiology, four options and four alternatives; and urology, one option and one alternative.

Dr Neil Wooding, Chair of Hywel Dda University Health Board, said: “At our meeting next week, the Board will carefully consider the consultation feedback alongside the latest clinical evidence, workforce insights, updated impact assessments and the alternative options that were put forward during the consultation.

“Our responsibility is to consider the full range of evidence and ensure we make decisions that ensure that our services are sustainable for the future. No decisions have been made ahead of the Board.

“We are committed to a thorough and transparent process, ensuring each option and alternative options are considered in the round, and focused on improving services for the people who rely on them.”

The first day of the two-day event will be dedicated to reviewing the evidence and considering the options in detail, with decisions on the second.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Pembrokeshire County Council to end year £4m in credit

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE County Council, which has faced overspends on its budget in the millions in recent years, is predicted to end this year £4m in credit.

A report for members at the February meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet, presented by Cabinet member for finance, Cllr Alistair Cameron,  said the county’s approved budget for the 2025-26 financial year of £326.6m was, as of the third quarter of the year, predicted to end at £322.6m, representing a projected underspend of £4m.

A good chunk of that saving, as reported in previous financial quarters was due to slippage in the Capital Programme in 2024-25 which has resulted in higher levels of investment income and delayed borrowing costs.

“A projected underspend of £4.429m in Capital Financing Costs and Increased Investment Income of £0.050m has been able to more than offset [other financial pressures],” the report said.

The report also included comments from Director of Resources Jon Haswell: “We are now projecting a year end underspend of £4.0m at the end of Quarter 3, primarily due to the significant underspend in capital financing costs.

“At outturn, it will be proposed that any underspend is placed in the Initiative Fund reserve, to provide additional funding for future Accelerated Change Programme (ACP) bids.

“Both council tax and rent arrears appear to have stabilised, albeit urgent work is required over the coming months and years to recover them. All service budgets within the Resources Directorate are all projected to remain within budget, with the exception of Finance & Revenue Services/Resources and Procurement who will be overspent due to additional FIMS software costs.”

The £4m underspend compares with a predicted end-of-year underspend of £1m in the previous financial quarter, and predictions of a £2.2m underspend from figures from the first quarter of the financial year.

Pembrokeshire County Council actually ended the last financial year underspending by £2m, in part due to an extra £1.2m raised through second homes tax, councillors have previously heard.

In recent years the situation has been far bleaker, with third quarter projections for the 2023-24 budget of an overspend of £6.6m, £3m up from quarter two’s £3.6m, which in itself was a reduction of the previous quarter one figure of a £4.8m predicted overspend.

The end of the 2024 financial year reduced that to a £3m overspend, and by November 2024 – the 2024-25 year – the council was predicted to overspend by £3.9m, later, last February that prediction reduced to £1.4m, before the final underspend.

Cllr Cameron, who moved the report on the quarter three financial position was noted, said: “The £4m is roughly one per cent under budget, any of us would agree that’s exactly where we’d want to be at this stage of the financial year, and certainly a lot better than previous years’ overspends.”

Leader Cllr Jon Harvey said: “It’s really good to see the departments, by and large, within budgets, on a more financially sustainable path.”

Members agreed to note the report.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Tenby Market Hall consultation event to shape future plans

Published

on

Public invited to drop-in session at De Valence

TENBY residents are being invited to help shape the future of one of the town’s most historic and well-loved buildings.

Pembrokeshire County Council is holding a public drop-in consultation event on Wednesday (Feb 18) to gather views on the future of Tenby Market Hall.

The event will take place at The De Valence between 4:00pm and 7:00pm.

Tenby Market Hall has been at the heart of the town for generations, supporting local traders and acting as a focal point for the community. The council says it is committed to retaining the character and role of the market while exploring how the building can be updated and improved for the future.

Residents, traders and visitors are being encouraged to attend and share their views on what should remain, what could be refreshed, and how the Market Hall can continue to thrive as both a trading hub and community space.

Deputy Leader Cllr Paul Miller said the consultation marks the beginning of wider public engagement.

“After our initial conversations with traders, this event marks the first step in our public engagement for the future of Tenby Market Hall, a key historic asset in our town centre that supports local traders and contributes so much to the life of Tenby,” he said.

“I’d encourage everyone to come along, take part, and share their views on how we can create a thriving market that is fit for the future. There will be a range of stations on the day to help gather ideas and feedback, and all are very welcome.”

Those unable to attend can submit feedback by emailing [email protected].

The council has indicated that further opportunities for engagement will follow as plans develop.

 

Continue Reading

News14 hours ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health1 day ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime2 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime3 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News3 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Education3 days ago

School in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns

Estyn orders urgent action plan and regular monitoring at Pembroke secondary A PEMBROKESHIRE secondary school has been placed into special...

Crime3 days ago

Armed police arrest man after major operation in Pembroke Dock

Firearms officers, dog units and roadblocks deployed on Gordon Street as Dyfed-Powys Police investigate ARMED officers sealed off part of...

Community3 days ago

Lifeboat to find new home at Pembroke Dock museum after historic handover ceremony

A HISTORIC lifeboat which saved forty lives around the British coastline is set to begin a new chapter in Pembroke...

Crime4 days ago

Pendine man jailed for abducting and drugging teenage girl

Offender had 1,101 unlawful images of children stored on his devices, including 122 Category A images – the most serious...

Crime5 days ago

Publican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court

Admits cocaine and cannabis supply but denies intent and cash allegations A MILFORD HAVEN pub landlord has admitted supplying cocaine...

Popular This Week