Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Business

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Published

on

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port

SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford Haven have voted overwhelmingly in favour of industrial action in a growing dispute over pay, according to Unite the Union.

The union said members employed by marine services company Svitzer backed action following what it described as a failure to deliver a fair and acceptable pay offer for 2025.

Unite said the workers carry out “highly skilled work that is essential to operations in the Port of Milford Haven” and that members were becoming increasingly frustrated at a lack of meaningful progress in negotiations.

The ballot result does not automatically mean strike action will take place, but it gives the union a mandate to call action if talks do not improve.

Svitzer provides tug services, which play a critical safety role in guiding large vessels, including oil tankers and liquefied natural gas carriers, through the Milford Haven Waterway — one of the UK’s most strategically important energy ports.

The Herald has contacted Svitzer and the Port of Milford Haven Authority for comment on the potential impact on operations and any contingency planning.

A spokesperson for Unite said members had sent a strong message through the ballot and would have the full support of the union in seeking a fair resolution.

At the time of publication, no dates for possible industrial action had been announced.

The Herald will provide updates as more information becomes available.

 

Business

Milford Haven-South Hook LNG gas pipeline gets green light

Published

on

THE FINAL stage of a call for a 1.5km hydrogen gas pipeline in Pembrokeshire in connection with a previously granted scheme for green energy production has been given the go-ahead by the national park.

Late last year Pembrokeshire County Council approved a scheme by Zurich-based MorGen Energy Ltd, previously known as H2 Energy Europe, sought permission for a 1.5km six-inch 10-bar low-pressure hydrogen pipeline and associated Above Ground Installation at the Impala Terminal, Milford Haven to the South Hook Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) Terminal.

A supporting statement through agent Fisher German said the scheme crossed both Pembrokeshire County Council and the national park authorities, with a similar application before that authority.

It added: “The proposals form part of the West Wales Hydrogen project, where planning permission was granted on October 6, 2023, for the development of a new 20MW hydrogen production facility at the Impala Terminal (formerly Puma Energy) in Milford Haven.

“The approved hydrogen production facility which uses electrolysis to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, where the oxygen is a by-product of the process.  The hydrogen production plant will produce 1,875 tons of hydrogen per year. Hydrogen will be distributed via high pressure vessels (40 ft. containers) to various customers in the closer vicinity, opening the hydrogen market to a large variety of customers.

“Hydrogen will also be distributed to the South Hook LNG Terminal and it is proposed that this will be via a new six-inch 10-bar hydrogen pipeline. The option to supply hydrogen to the South Hook LNG terminal via high pressure hydrogen containers was dismissed due to safety considerations at the terminal.

“This application therefore seeks planning permission for a section of below ground hydrogen pipeline within the jurisdiction of Pembrokeshire County Council, which comprises the north part of the route from the hydrogen plant at Impala to the South Hook LNG Terminal, alongside an AGI at the Impala Terminal.”

An officer report accompanying that approval said the southern part of the proposed pipeline was within the jurisdiction of the Pembroke Coast National Park Authority.

A national park officer report for that part, recommending approval, said its section of the pipeline “is a linear parcel of land comprising approximately 0.994 hectares,” adding: “It is mainly the location of a disused railway, now overgrown with scrub and grassland, in the open countryside.”

It added: “The development site is cross-boundary, situated primarily within the jurisdiction of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority (the south-west extent), with a small section of the proposed pipeline (and an above-ground installation (AGI)) within the Pembrokeshire County Council (PCC) LPA area (the north-east extent).”

The national park side was conditionally approved by planners.

 

Continue Reading

Business

Bilco’s Traditional Fish and Chip Shop set to open in The Mumbles

Published

on

A POPULAR Pembrokeshire takeaway business is expanding across West Wales, with a new fish and chip shop preparing to open in The Mumbles.

Tenby’s Fish & Chips has announced that its sister business, Bilco’s Traditional Fish and Chip Shop, will soon welcome customers at the Swansea seaside village location.

The new outlet will offer freshly prepared, traditional fish and chips using quality ingredients, with the owners promising the same friendly service that customers have come to expect from their existing businesses.

In a statement shared on social media, the team said they were excited to become part of the local community and share their passion for classic British takeaway food with new customers.

An official opening date has not yet been confirmed, but further details are expected to be announced soon.

Artists impression

 

Continue Reading

Business

Haverfordwest Kings Arms pub basement flat scheme refused

Published

on

A SCHEME to convert the basement of a Grade-II-listed former pub in a Pembrokeshire town’s conservation area to a flat has been refused by planners who said it would create an “oppressive living environment”.

In the application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Toyeb Ali Rahman, through agent Hayston Developments & Planning Ltd, sought permission to convert the basement of the former Kings Arms Hotel, Dew Street, Haverfordwest, the building most recently used as an Indian takeaway, to a residential flat.

A supporting statement said: “The Kings Arms Public House was a public house and was formerly a coaching house with a range of former stables to the rear which have been converted to dwellings. It is a mid-terrace property fronting the western side of Dew Street close to the town centre of Haverfordwest,” adding: “Since closure the public house has been used as a takeaway restaurant and is a mixture of flats and offices.”

It went on to say: “The application proposal only involves a small-scale conversion of a basement storage area associated with the former Kings Arms Hotel to a one bedroom residential flat. There would be no extensions with the only external alteration to the building being the replacement of a poorly detailed metal roller shutter door with conventional domestic entrance door with sidelight.

“As such, there would be no change to the impact of the building or proposal on the locality. In fact, basement area is not at all visible from the street scene along Dew Street.”

However, the scheme was refused by county planners on three points.

“The proposed change of use would result in a self-contained residential unit that fails to provide an acceptable standard of residential amenity for future occupiers. The habitable accommodation would be served by no external windows, resulting in inadequate levels of natural daylight and outlook and creating a poor-quality and oppressive living environment.

“Furthermore, insufficient information has been submitted to demonstrate that adequate ventilation, air quality, and moisture control could be achieved without harm to the character and appearance of the listed building.”

Planners also said the proposals would, through its design and use of materials, “fail to respect the special architectural and historic interest of the listed building”.

The final reason for refusal was the scheme would “result in an increase in nitrogen discharges draining into the Milford Haven Inner waterbody of the Pembrokeshire Marine Special Area of Conservation (SAC) where features are known to be in unfavourable condition due to current evidence of both chemical and biological failure,” with insufficient information to demonstrate mitigation measures which would allow the proposed development to achieve nutrient neutrality.

 

Continue Reading

Business13 hours ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime22 hours ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government24 hours ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News2 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health2 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime3 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime4 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News4 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Education4 days ago

School in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns

Estyn orders urgent action plan and regular monitoring at Pembroke secondary A PEMBROKESHIRE secondary school has been placed into special...

Crime4 days ago

Armed police arrest man after major operation in Pembroke Dock

Firearms officers, dog units and roadblocks deployed on Gordon Street as Dyfed-Powys Police investigate ARMED officers sealed off part of...

Popular This Week