Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Saundersfoot chef knocked woman unconscious

Published

on

Suspended sentence: Henri Pritchard

Suspended sentence: Henri Pritchard

A SAUNDERSFOOT chef knocked a young woman unconscious after an incident on the dancefloor of a Carmarthen pub.

Henri Pritchard, who is currently living in Laugharne, fractured Briana Robinson’s cheek in the attack, outside the Spread Eagle in King Street .

Pritchard, aged 20, of Victoria Street, admitted assault causing actual bodily harm.

Craig Jones, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court how a group of young woman had travelled from Cornwall to south Wales for a holiday and on January 30, 2014, found themselves inside the Spread Eagle.

Mr Jones said an incident took place on the dancefloor involving a friend of Miss Robinson’s and a friend of Pritchard’s.

The two men left the pub but Miss Robinson, aged 18 at the time and 19 now, followed and began remonstrating with Pritchard.

Mr Jones said Pritchard was by then extremely drunk and “made no sense” when he began telling Miss Robinson how much money he made and calling her a slut.

Miss Robinson pointed out that she had not met him before that evening.

She suddenly felt “a massive hit” to the side of her face and she fell down unconscious.  She was taken to Morriston hospital, Swansea, and found to have suffered a fractured cheekbone, although it did not require surgery.

However, she suffered bruising that took two months to fade away, lost time off work and was now worried about going out at night.

Immediately afterwards, Pritchard threw a friend of Miss Robinson’s to the ground.

Security staff intervened and the police were soon on the scene, said Mr Jones.

After his arrest Pritchard told police he had been so drunk he could not remember attacking Miss Robinson.

His barrister, James Hartson, said he was deeply ashamed and it had taken a long time for him to accept what he had done.

Pritchard, he added, was due to become a father in June.

The Judge, Mr Recorder Ifan Wyn Lloyd Jones, said the assault was a serious example of ABH and Pritchard could have been charged with a more serious offence.

“She said later that it felt to her that her mouth was exploding,” he added.

Pritchard was jailed for six months, suspended for two years, and ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work for the community.

He was also placed under a 9.30pm to 7am curfew and told to pay Miss Robinson £1,200 in compensation, plus a government surcharge.

 

4 Comments

4 Comments

  1. gunga-din

    February 15, 2015 at 9:06 am

    and they wonder why we have no faith in our courts system = jailed for six months, suspended for two years, and ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work = is not a fit punishment for this slimy toad and will serve as no deterrent to him doing likewise again – what we need to do is use the birch on scum like him that hits a young lass – in the town center sat noon pants down 25 strokes he would never attack a woman again and would make him think at least twice before going out

  2. Billy can.

    February 15, 2015 at 12:55 pm

    Rather than strange corporal punishments, just jail him for a few months…in Russia!!!…why not call to account the trade in alcohol?….Who sold this man so much as to render him violent…is the only criteria of purchase to be standing up?..Why did the security staff not pay closer attention? etc etc…but there we are..next weekend, the clubs and pubs will no doubt see more fighting, vomit, wasted money, and wrecked lives, the hospital will see the casualties, the police and courts will censure…and the alcohol trade continues..happy daze.

  3. John Rees

    March 8, 2015 at 1:38 pm

    Disgusting little worm should have had a custodial sentence.

  4. Adam John

    March 12, 2015 at 4:56 pm

    ….and a good beating.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Wales hurtling towards 10,000 care home bed deficit over next decade

Published

on

EXPERTS have warned there will be desperate shortage of 10,000 care home beds in Wales over the next decade.

The alert has been raised specialist business property adviser Christie & Co who say there is a growing need for new, “future proof” care homes to meet the need.

Their prediction comes at a time when demand is spiralling upwards, with the over 85 population set to double over the next 20 years.

According to sector champions Care Forum Wales (CFW) the “alarming figures” illustrated the need for social care to be funded properly for existing homes to survive and encourage the development of new ones.

CFW warned that Wales was “sleepwalking into disaster” because the growing shortage of care home beds would pile pressure on the beleaguered NHS when hospitals were already virtually at breaking point.

Building new care homes is a costly business as Gwynedd and Flintshire county councils have shown recently.

They have plans to build two new facilities with a total of around 100 beds between them at an estimated cost of more than £250,000 per bed.

If their figures are correct that would mean it would mean it would cost £400 million for the extra beds needed in North Wales and £2.5 billion for the whole of Wales over the next 10 years.

Worryingly, Christie & Co also revealed in the report  that 40 elderly care homes in Wales closed and only four opened between 2020 and 2023 – with no new ones in North Wales.

Among the closures in North Wales were Trewythen Hall in Gresford, Bay Court in Kinmel Bay, Gwastad Hall in Cefn y Bedd and Morfa Newydd in Greenfield with the loss of more than 160 beds.

CFW Chair Mario Kreft MBE said: “The report from Christie & Co paints a bleak picture an illustrates how the existing crisis is going to get even worse, creating a double whammy for our overstretched hospitals which have rows of ambulances queuing outside and patients on trolleys in corridors.

“Instead of being able to build more care homes to meet growing demand, we are seeing more and more care home closures.

“The cost of building new care homes and replacing the beds we are losing now is absolutely eye-watering.

“Our public finances in Wales are already under pressure so where is this money coming from?

“The way care homes are funded in Wales is a total postcode lottery with 29 variations on a theme, with most of social care being commissioned by the 22 local authorities and seven health boards.

“Within that there is a gaping North-South divide with five of the six county councils in North Wales paying the lowest fees, arrived at by a fee-fixing cartel known as the North Wales Regional Fees Group.

“The one shining exception is Conwy Council where earlier this year announced inflation-busting plans to increase fees by up to 20% after warnings that care homes were at risk of financial meltdown and closure.

“Following a long-running campaign by Care Forum Wales they have introduced fairer fees which reflect the actual cost of providing care for vulnerable people in privately run homes, including those with dementia.

“That came about because Conwy broke away from the North Wales Regional Fees Group and took our advice by  commissioning leading healthcare economists Laing & Buisson to analyse the true costs of care providers for the current year.

“It’s and internationally recognised tool to ensure that and those living and working in care homes can receive the best care, while at the same time, ensuring that the

“This is something we have been calling for over many years. All we want is fairness in line with the Welsh Government’s ‘Let’s agree to agree’ guidance.

“The fundamental issue threatening the viability of care homes is the unrealistically low fees that the vast majority of councils and health boards pay, fees that come nowhere near covering the true cost of providing care.

“Economically, it would make a lot more sense to ensure the financial security of our existing care homes instead of just relying on the forlorn hope that somebody is going to magically build enough new ones to  meet current needs and the increasing demands for social care.

“We’ve had a generation of injustice and it’s a generation where the institutional prejudice and discrimination against the private care sector in Wales has meant that those living and working in these fantastic community assets have not been valued.

“The problems we have in social care lead to the pressures in the NHS which lead of course then to extra costs being placed on the NHS which would largely be alleviated if local authorities had a more enlightened approach to social care.

“If Conwy can do it, the other five local authorities in North Wales can and should do it and of course, the money has always been there. It’s how you politically choose to spend it.

“Across the famous Foryd Bridge, which links Kinmel Bay and Rhyl, Denbighshire County Council is budgeting announced  much smaller increases of around 8% on rock bottom fees which have been immediately wiped out by inflation and the cost of living crisis.

“The vastly differing rates mean that Denbighshire will be paying £9,224 a year less per person than Conwy towards the cost of giving exactly the same level of nursing care to residents.

“It is simply an outrage. It’s an affront to the families that that bridge spanning the mouth of the River Clwyd can mean such a massive difference for vulnerable people, including those with dementia.

“The families of those people, who will often be expected to make up the difference,  need to ask why and quite frankly, it is a bridge too far.

“This is undoubtedly a stealth tax on families and quite frankly, the people making these decisions in those authorities should be utterly ashamed of themselves in the way they are betraying vulnerable people including those with profound dementia and their families.

“What this demonstrates is that there is an urgent need for us to look again at the way social care is funded.

“We need a national approach to eliminate this iniquitous postcode lottery so that the people for whom we provide care and our staff are treated fairly.

”This is too important to be left to local authorities and health boards alone – it has to be driven by the Welsh Government.”

Pictured: Mario Kreft MBE, Chair of Care Forum Wales

Continue Reading

Entertainment

A toadi-tastic guest at the Torch! Poop! Poop!

Published

on

IT’S not every day the Torch Theatre is graced with the company of a living, breathing toad for one of its productions. But this July, as the Torch Youth Theatre performs Wind in the Willows, it’s only fitting that a Toad should make an appearance at the Torch Theatre Box Office for all to admire!

Borrowed from Dragon Reptiles and Aquatics in Pembroke Dock, our Toad will be in full view for those attending the Torch Youth Theatre production. This fascinating amphibian won’t make a stage appearance but Toad of Toad Hall will, along with his fellow riverside and woodland friends – Badger, Ratty and Mole.

We’re also providing a bilingual fact sheet for all explaining how to look after a toad, what he eats and where he likes to live.

“POOP POOP! We can’t wait to welcome this TOAD-ely fabulous amphibian to the Torch. We’re keeping our fingers cross that this one isn’t quite as untamed as the one on stage. Come and see if we’re proven right or if there ends up being two Toads on the loose!”

Toads, of all kinds, are very popular, especially here in Pembrokeshire. Thousands have been seen on Skomer Island and many can be seen at Whitesands Bay making a qwark-qwark-qwark sound.

And as Claire Morris owner of Dragon Reptiles and Aquatics explains, she was delighted that Toad could go on holiday to his local theatre.

“I think it’s a great idea. Children will be able to relate to the main character when they see Toad in his vivarium. They are such interesting and friendly amphibians and our Toad can’t wait to travel from Pembroke Dock to the Torch for his short stay,” explained Claire.

Wind in the Willows will be on the Torch Theatre stage on Monday 22 July, Tuesday 23 July and Wednesday 24 July at 6.30pm. Ticket price: £10 / £8 concessions. The Youth Theatre will be joined by The Torch Voices Community Choir. To book your tickets or for further information, contact the Box Office on01646 695267 or visit torchtheatre.co.uk.

Continue Reading

News

BBC Cymru Wales announces new line-up of sports content

Published

on

BBC Cymru Wales has announced an exciting new fixture list of content for the forthcoming sporting season. With sports fans looking for immediate coverage of their team, keeping up to date with the latest news and analysis, the broadcaster will be introducing new content on iPlayer, Sounds and online.

Under the Scrum V and Feast of Football brands BBC Cymru Wales will be launching two new digital first, multi-platform programmes – designed for audiences to watch or listen to on their phones, tablets and laptops as well as on television or BBC iPlayer.

The multi-platform Scrum V show will feature big names talking rugby in a relaxed and no holds barred environment, presented by Lauren Jenkins.

And of course there’ll be plenty of live action as Scrum V’s first URC game of the season kicks off on Friday, 20 September when Cardiff take on Zebre. Sarra Elgan will bring all the action from the Welsh clubs every Friday evening on BBC Two Wales, following all four Welsh regions in their quest for this year’s title.  

With audiences wanting their highlights quickly, Scrum V’s evening highlights show will no longer be on Sunday nights.  Instead, highlights will be available shortly after the final whistles of all Welsh regional matches online and on Scrum V’s social channels.  These highlights will also be combined and shown as one comprehensive package on BBC Wales TV and iPlayer. And the Scrum V Podcast continues weekly on BBC Sounds with Gareth Rhys Owen.

Other new shows under the Scrum V banner this season include Scrum V Top 5s which sees Mammoth star and diehard rugby fan Mike Bubbins inviting guests to choose iconic moments and characters from the game. Among those featured in this eight-part series is Sam Warburton who reveals some very unlikely choices for his Top 5 Teammates.

Football fans also have a new multi-platform show. With a bumper autumn of international football approaching, an eight part series of Feast of Football will have unparalleled access into the national squad – capturing all the excitement and the big talking points of the Welsh game.

Presented by former Wales captain Ashley Williams, this will be a must watch for football fans and will tap into the spirit and passion of the Red Wall.  Filmed at the Football Association of Wales’s headquarters on the eve of the men’s and women’s internationals, the show will feature interviews and exclusive access to players from both camps, as well as short films from around Wales.

Ashley Williams said: “I’m really excited to be presenting Feast of Football. We’ve got great access to the squads and we’ll be giving fans a brilliant insight into Welsh football and talking about the things that matter to them. We want them to feel they’re right at the heart of the camp and part of the story.”

BBC Cymru Wales is also increasing its online sports coverage with more team topic pages and live text pages while a new BBC Radio Wales and BBC Sounds series this autumn – Iconic: The Rise of the Women in Red – presented by Wales’s most capped footballer Jess Fishlock will chart the growth of women’s football.

Carolyn Hitt, Head of Sport at BBC Cymru Wales said: “Scrum V is our iconic rugby brand and will remain at the heart of our sports coverage, with content throughout the week offering analysis and predictions, timely highlights as well as marking the remarkable moments. BBC Wales is proud to have brought Scrum V to audiences for almost 30 years and our aim is to capture the interest and imagination of a new generation of rugby fans as well as rewarding our longstanding audiences with new content.”

“As the game evolves and the way we consume sport changes, we’re looking to provide more instant coverage, courtesy of our new digital formats. Rugby and football fans can rest assured that the new offer will bring the latest news, views and analysis to their laptop, smart phone and TV.

“I’m delighted that from next season we can bring more football to fans across Wales.  Feast of Football will expand with a podcast and iPlayer and TV versions. Feast of Football will talk Welsh football in all its glory and in the slightly less glorious times. 

“It’s also true that the BBC, like other broadcasters is having to cut its cloth in line with its budgets. Increased costs across the board, as well as our ambition to cover a broader range of sport means we’re having to focus where we spend our money and ensure we’re giving our audience the sport coverage they want in the places they want to enjoy it.”

Continue Reading

Health13 hours ago

No improvement in cancer waiting times despite Welsh Govt plan

TWO years after the Welsh Government unveiled its ambitious plan to overhaul cancer care and reduce waiting times, the latest...

News24 hours ago

Former school devastated by fire revealed as £2m drug factory just weeks ago

A SIGNFICANT blaze that led to the collapse of the roof of a former primary school in west Wales occurred...

Crime1 day ago

Thai woman accused of killing son in appears in court

A THAI woman accused of killing her seven-year-old son has made a court appearance. Papaipit Linse, 43, of Upper Market...

Crime1 day ago

Police investigate early hours hit and run in Haverfordwest

POLICE in Haverfordwest are investigating a road traffic collision which occurred at about 2.00am in the morning on Wednesday (Jul...

Charity1 day ago

King’s speech highlights focus on economic growth and defence

ON WEDNESDAY (Jul 17), the King delivered his Speech, outlining the government’s priorities for the coming year. Central to the...

Crime2 days ago

Haverfordwest man denies sexual assaults on boys under nine

A 41-YEAR-OLD Haverfordwest man has appeared before magistrates charged with sexually assaulting a boy under 13 on at least 44...

News3 days ago

First Minister quits after less than four months in job

FIRST MINISTER Vaughan Gething has announced his resignation. Gething did not offer any apologies for the events of the past...

News3 days ago

LIVE – Welsh Government ministers quit and call for First Minister to go

FOUR senior ministers of the Welsh Government have dramatically tendered their resignations in a bold protest against the leadership of...

Crime3 days ago

Ex-mayor gets suspended sentence for child images offences

A FORMER mayor of Pembroke Dock has been given a suspended jail sentence for the possession and distribution of indecent...

Community5 days ago

Sumatran tiger cub named Zaza is first ever born in a Welsh zoo

MANOR WILDLIFE PARK said this week that it is thrilled to announce the birth of a Sumatran tiger cub, named...

Popular This Week