Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Llangwm: Pembrokeshire solicitor struck-off for preying on the dead

Published

on

Sign for Steve Thomas & Co in Llangwm (Pic: Google Streetview)

Sign for Steve Thomas & Co in Llangwm (Pic: Google Streetview)

EXCLUSIVE

A PEMBROKESHIRE solicitor has been struck off the roll by the Solicitor’s Disciplinary Tribunal for dishonestly transferring money from the estates of deceased clients to his firm’s office account.

Edgar Stephen George Thomas of Steve Thomas & Co Solicitors, Deerland Chambers, Llangwm, Haverfordwest attended a hearing in London between March 14-16. Thomas represented himself.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority was represented by Mr Edward Levey, a barrister from Fountain Court Chambers, London.

The sum identified as missing from client’s accounts was £144,326.25

ALLEGATION

The allegations against Thomas were that he failed to provide adequate or accurate information to clients about likely overall costs at the outset of matters or throughout the conduct of them where required, and thereby breached rules and transferred sums from his Client Account to his Office Account in respect of his fees otherwise than in accordance with Rule 19 of the Solicitors’ Accounts Rules 1998

The tribunal also head that on or about 16 June 2014, Thomas provided misleading information to a client as to the reasons for delay in distributing the proceeds of an estate.

APPLICATION TO ADJOURN

At the start of the hearing Thomas said he wanted an adjournment as he had not seen all the documents. He accepted that the application to adjourn should have been made at an earlier stage, however he only became aware of this on reading the Tribunal’s practice note on adjournments, which he had read for the first time that morning. The Respondent accepted what was contained in the note, and asked the Tribunal to exercise its discretion in allowing an adjournment. Further, in view of the length of time of these proceedings, there was no real urgency. He no longer held a practising certificate, and had not worked since July 2014. He had not held himself out to be a solicitor, and did not hold any client money. In the circumstances, there would be no prejudice in adjourning the proceedings.

Mr Levey submitted that the position was entirely unsatisfactory, and that the case should proceed. The Respondent had failed to file and serve his own documents, despite numerous directions requiring him to do so, which left the Applicant in the position of opening and presenting its case, without knowing what the Respondent’s case was. Mr Levey did not accept that there was anything further to be disclosed to the Respondent, and submitted that his application to adjourn on the basis of lack of disclosure was total obfuscation and an attempt to avoid dealing with the issues.

The Respondent told the Tribunal he had been arrested by Dyfed-Powys police in relation to these matters, and remained on police bail. He was due to return to the police station in May 2016. He understood that the police were still carrying out enquiries, but that they could attend to arrest him at any time before his bail to return date. Given that, the possibility of criminal proceedings was imminent.

THE LOCAL PAPERS

The Respondent explained that he lived in a small rural community, and that the outcome of the proceedings was sure to make the local papers. If the allegations against him were found proved, then his community would see the findings, making it impossible for him to have a fair trial. The Respondent apologised for the lateness of the application. He explained that he had not previously had the benefit of legal advice, but having recently contacted solicitors, he was advised that he should seek to adjourn these proceedings until the outcome of the criminal matter. Mr Levey submitted that as the Respondent had not yet been charged, there was no possible basis, under the Tribunal’s practice direction, to justify adjourning the hearing; charges had not yet been laid so criminal proceedings could not be described as “imminent”. The Applicant had contacted Dyfed-Powys police with a view to ascertaining how they intended to proceed. Unfortunately, no response had been received from them, and the Applicant was unable to provide any update to the Tribunal.  The Tribunal refused the Respondent’s application to adjourn the hearing.

Thomas explained that he had set up his firm as a sole practitioner in 2005. As a result of advice from his accountant, he changed the firm to a company. He was the only person in his practice who dealt with the probate matters which were the subject of the allegations. He denied that he had overcharged his clients, stating that he “honestly and truly believe that the charges were correct.” The cash shortage of £144,326.25 identified by the investigator in his first report had been rectified by the Respondent delivering bills of costs to the clients.

COMPLETELY CULPABLE

The Tribunal found the Respondent to be completely culpable for the breaches; the misconduct having arisen as a direct result of his sole actions. The Respondent was wholly responsible for the transfers and was the only fee earner with conduct of the matters. The Respondent was an experienced solicitor, who disregarded the regulations put in place to protect his clients. He utilised the funds in his client account in such a way as to demonstrate that he did not believe that he was accountable to his clients. His actions were planned and calculated. Of most concern was the blatant dishonesty he had displayed in abusing his position of trust. He deliberately and calculatedly delayed in distributing in full a number of estates, and during the delay drew down on the monies in those estates. The Tribunal found that in acting in the way that he did, the Respondent had caused harm not only to his clients and beneficiaries, but also to the trust the public places in the profession and the provision of legal services.

The Tribunal Ordered that the Respondent, Edgar Stephen George Thomas, solicitor, be struck off the Roll of Solicitors and it further he do pay costs of £76,000.00.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Lydstep Haven swimming warning lifted after sewerage repairs

Published

on

BATHERS have been told they can return to the water at Lydstep Haven after warnings linked to a pollution incident were lifted.

Pembrokeshire County Council had advised people not to swim at the beach after an “abnormal situation” was declared earlier this month over concerns about bathing water quality.

Natural Resources Wales has now confirmed that the status has been lifted following repair works to a private sewerage system.

Water samples taken in the days after the repairs indicated that the bathing water was no longer being affected.

Signage warning people not to swim will now be removed by the council.

An NRW spokesperson said: “The ‘abnormal situation’ status at Lydstep Haven beach in Pembrokeshire has been lifted by Natural Resources Wales.

“The lifting of this status means that Pembrokeshire County Council is no longer advising people not to swim at Lydstep Haven.

“The private operator has carried out repair works to their sewerage system and results from several water samples taken indicate the bathing water is no longer being impacted.

“NRW is continuing its investigation into any possible regulatory breaches.”

 

Continue Reading

Community

Safe Haven Homeless breakfast raises more than £170 in Whitland

Published

on

A FUNDRAISING breakfast held at The Station House pub in Whitland has raised more than £170 for Safe Haven Homeless CIC.

The event saw supporters gather at the pub, where landlord Mike provided a dedicated area for the organisation to display leaflets and posters, sell mugs, and explain more about its plans.

Collection tins were placed on each table and organisers said several generous donations were made during the morning.

Safe Haven Homeless CIC is being set up to provide a safe location, together with a wider support package, for homeless people who are desperate to get their lives back on track.

Organisers said the money raised would go towards the group’s work and help demonstrate to grant funders that the organisation is able to raise support locally.

A spokesperson said: “We intend to fund our initial start-up costs from grant funding, and by holding events like this we show grant funders that we are capable of raising funds ourselves.”

Safe Haven Homeless is also in the process of having a website built, which is expected to include a donations portal. The front page is currently live at www.safe-haven-homeless.org.uk, with OROGO Advertising working on the full site.

Photos:

Dave, founder and general manager, with his wife Lynne; director Steve Cox; supporters at the breakfast; the display area; and The Station House, Whitland.

 

Continue Reading

Business

Cardigan bakery named among best in UK

Published

on

A CARDIGAN bakehouse has been named among the best bakeries in the UK as interest in “bakery tourism” continues to rise.

Bara Menyn, a small family-run bakehouse tucked away in a side street in Cardigan, has been highlighted by travel experts at holidaycottages.co.uk as one of the bakeries worth making a trip for.

The name Bara Menyn means “bread and butter” in Welsh, and the bakery has built a reputation for imaginative bakes, pizzas and seasonal produce.

Laura Kerslake, regional expert for Wales, said: “Bara Menyn is how you say ‘bread and butter’ in Welsh and the name of the small family bakehouse that is hidden down a side street in Cardigan, West Wales.

“It’s open three days a week so that the owners can fit the bakehouse around family life and their careers as artists.

“The family’s artistic flair can be seen in all the imaginative fillings and toppings on the bakes and pizzas served, which are also made using local, seasonal produce.”

The listing comes as the UK sees growing interest in independent bakeries, with spending on bakery goods reported to have risen by six per cent from 2025 to 2026.

Research also suggests that many people are now willing to travel for regional food experiences, from traditional cakes to artisan bread and pastries.

Two other Welsh bakeries were also highlighted: Little Valley Bakery, which has sites in Mumbles and Brynmill, and was recently named in the Good Food Guide’s 50 Best Bakeries 2026; and another Welsh entry included in the travel company’s wider list.

For Cardigan, the recognition adds to the town’s growing reputation as a destination for independent food, drink and creative businesses.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government8 hours ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community10 hours ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime15 hours ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community15 hours ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government19 hours ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community2 days ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime2 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News2 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News3 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg3 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Popular This Week