Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Grant scandal: Judge for yourself who’s telling the truth, says Stoddart

Published

on

grant scandalJUST BEFORE Christmas, the Herald reported that Cllr David Pugh, Cabinet member for economic development, had been forced to issue an “unreserved apology” to Hakin councillor Mike Stoddart for comments he made at the council meeting on December 12.

The offending remarks came during a debate on Cllr Stoddart’s notice of motion calling for information on property grants in Pembroke and Pembroke Dock to be made available to all elected members on a confidential basis.

Mike Stoddart has posted several articles casting doubt on the probity of some of these grants on his website oldgrumpy.co.uk.

One issue was the apparent discrepancy between the amount of external render (125 sq metres) and painting (300 sq metres) in the tender for No 25 Dimond Street Pembroke Dock compared to the 50 square meters shown on the drawings.

During the December meeting, Cllr Pugh launched into a savage personal attack on Cllr Stoddart who, he claimed had failed to take into account “a third side elevation” at No 25, which, when included, brought the tender into line with the area on site.

Not content with pointing out this alleged error, Cllr Pugh then asked members to decide “Whether this was a deliberate untruth, or sheer incompetence on his behalf by not checking the facts?”

However, Mike Stoddart posted pictures on his website that proved that this “third side elevation” didn’t exist outside of Cllr Pugh’s imagination and the cabinet member had no option but to apologise.

Although the apology was said to be “unreserved”, there was a sting in the tail because Cllr Pugh insisted that Cllr Stoddart should withdraw all his other allegations regarding these grants.

The Hakin councillor was having none of that, however, because he had issues with other claims Cllr Pugh had made, particularly with regard to No 29 Dimond Street which is currently occupied by the Paul Sartori charity shop.

According to the final account for this project £53,000 had been spent on refurbishing the retail space, but on visiting the premises Cllr Stoddart, an experienced former building contractor, could see nothing that would justify this level of expenditure.

The walls of the shop were still covered in the original wood-chip wallpaper and the ceilings still sported the Artex that had obviously been there for years.

And the lighting, which was supposed to have been renewed, comprised three ancient, blackened fluorescent fittings.

However, Cllr Pugh told the December meeting that, had he bothered to look more carefully, Cllr Stoddart would have seen that “most” of the retail space was given over to storage and cleaning clothes and it was here that the £53.000 had been spent.

Mike Stoddart wrote to Cllr Pugh pointing out that what he described as “most” was a partitioned-off area to the back left rear of the shop measuring roughly 2.5 meters square, or 7 sq metres in all.

As the total floor area was 50 sq metres this made up less than 15% of the whole.

He asked the Cabinet member for an explanation, but Cllr Pugh has replied that he doesn’t wish to continue with the “dialogue”.Mike Stoddart told the Herald: “I can understand why Cllr Pugh would want to keep his head down over this.

Having already been forced to issue one apology, to have to issue a second would destroy what little is left of his credibility.

He had plenty to say for himself at full council when he though he had the upper hand, but now the boot is on the other foot he has taken a vow of silence.

During his speech at full council he said of me: “But then getting at the truth is not on his agenda. Your readers can judge for themselves who is being cavalier with the truth.”

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Man who threw corrosive liquid at guest and fled abroad jailed

Published

on

A BUSINESSMAN who threw a corrosive liquid into a guest’s face during a row at a spiritual retreat before fleeing the country has been jailed for 18 months.

Dean Mayze, aged 38, from Abercrave in Powys, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm following the attack at his Hafan-y-Coed retreat in December 2022.

Swansea Crown Court heard the assault happened after an argument with guest Keifer Price, who had complained about the condition of his accommodation, including a lack of heating and washing facilities.

During the confrontation, Mayze produced a blue container and threw its contents upwards into the victim’s face.

The liquid — described as smelling like ammonia — entered Mr Price’s eyes, nose and mouth, leaving him in severe pain and struggling to breathe.

Medical evidence confirmed injuries consistent with a chemical burn to both eyes. He suffered abrasions, a corneal defect and the loss of the outer corneal layer in one eye, requiring significant treatment to prevent permanent sight loss. He has since recovered without lasting injury.

Fled across Europe

Following the attack, Mayze fled the UK, triggering an international search.

The court heard he travelled across several European countries, including Ireland, France, Italy, Croatia and Greece, before eventually being arrested in Romania in 2025.

Despite being on the run, he remained in regular contact with police by text and email, at one point telling officers he would not be returning to Wales.

His partner initially claimed responsibility for the assault and later received a suspended prison sentence after admitting perverting the course of justice.

Previous conviction

The court was told Mayze has a previous conviction for wounding involving a corrosive substance in Kent in 2013.

Defence barrister Andrew Taylor said his client had experienced harsh conditions while detained in Romania, including contracting scabies without treatment, and described him as remorseful.

However, Judge Geraint Walters said it was “pure luck” the victim had not suffered permanent injuries, describing the attack as a “particularly wicked way of inflicting violence”.

Sentence and order

Mayze, who appeared via video link from prison, had previously denied a more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

He was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment and made subject to a three-year restraining order.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Police appeal after man injured in St Davids incident

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses following an incident in St Davids which left one man injured.

The incident happened in Nun Street at around 11:10am on Tuesday, December 30. The injured man was taken to hospital for treatment.

Officers confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident.

Police are now asking anyone with information, dash cam footage, or CCTV that could assist the investigation to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online at:
https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us-beta/contact-us/

Alternatively, email [email protected], send a direct message via social media, or call 101 quoting reference DP20251230094.

Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Sexual assault allegation to be tried

Published

on

Accused granted conditional bail

A SEXUAL assault allegation has been listed for trial following a hearing before magistrates.

David Fletcher, 45, of Chestnut Way, Mount Estate, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Feb 12) charged with sexual assault, contrary to section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

The charge alleges that on March 16, 2025, at Johnston, Pembrokeshire, he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over and that the touching was sexual when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe that she was consenting.

The matter was adjourned for trial and Fletcher was remanded on conditional bail.

The trial is listed for March 9, 2026 at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court. Bail conditions prohibit him from entering a specified premises in Johnston, from contacting directly or indirectly the complainant or any prosecution witnesses, and from posting any information relating to the investigation on social media. The conditions were imposed to prevent further offending and to prevent interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.

 

Continue Reading

Crime1 day ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community1 day ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime2 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business2 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime3 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government3 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News3 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health4 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime5 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime5 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

Popular This Week