News
Chelsea Manning goes on hunger strike
CHELSEA MANNING, the United States Army soldier who was born in Pembrokeshire and attended Tasker Milward School in Haverfordwest, announced yesterday (Sep 9) that she is going on a hunger strike until she is treated for gender dysphoria.
Chelsea is transgender and previously went by the name of Bradley. She is currently serving a 35 year sentence after being convicted of leaking classified documents to the Wikileaks website. She was sentenced in 2013.
In July she attempted suicide in her Kansas jail.
In a statement Chelsea said: “I need help. I am not getting any. I have asked for help time and time again for six years and through five separate confinement locations. My request has only been ignored, delayed, mocked, given trinkets and lip service by the prison, the military, and this administration.
“I need help. I needed help earlier this year. I was driven to suicide by the lack of care for my gender dysphoria that I have been desperate for. I didn’t get any. I still haven’t gotten any.
“I needed help. Yet, instead I am now being punished for surviving my attempt. When I was a child, my father would beat me repeatedly for simply not being masculine enough. I was told to stop crying—to “suck it up.” But, I couldn’t stop crying. The pain just got worse and worse. Until finally, I just couldn’t take the pain anymore.
“I needed help, but no one came then. No one is coming now.
“Today, I have decided that I am no longer going to be bullied by this prison—or by anyone within the U.S. government. I have asked for nothing but the dignity and respect—that I once actually believed would be provided for—afforded to any living human being.
“I do not believe that this should be dependent on any arbitrary factors—whether you are cisgender or transgender; service member or civilian, citizen or non-citizen. In response to virtually every request, I have been granted limited, if any, dignity and respect—just more pain and anguish.
“I am no longer asking. Now, I am demanding. As of 12:01 am Central Daylight Time on September 9, 2016, and until I am given minimum standards of dignity, respect, and humanity, I shall—refuse to voluntarily cut or shorten my hair in any way; consume any food or drink voluntarily, except for water and currently prescribed medications; and comply with all rules, regulations, laws, and orders that are not related to the two things I have mentioned.
“This is a peaceful act. I intend to keep it as peaceful and non-violent, on my end, as possible. Any physical harm that should come to me at the hands of military or civilian staff will be unnecessary and vindictive. I will not physically resist or in any way harm another person. I have also submitted a “do not resuscitate” letter that is effective immediately. This shall include any attempts to forcibly cut or shorten my hair or to forcibly feed me by any medical or pseudo-medical means.
“Until I am shown dignity and respect as a human again, I shall endure this pain before me. I am prepared for this mentally and emotionally. I expect that this ordeal will last for a long time. Quite possibly until my permanent incapacitation or death. I am ready for this.
“I need help. Please, give me help.”
Crime
Teenage protester jailed after motorway and railway disruption offences
Custodial sentence imposed for incidents on A1(M) and at Haverfordwest railway station
A TEENAGER from Pembroke Dock has been jailed for eighteen weeks after admitting offences which caused serious disruption to both road and rail networks.
Jeylane Bamford, aged eighteen, formerly of Britannia Drive, Pembroke Dock, appeared for sentencing at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Monday (Feb 16).
The court heard that on January 24, 2026, Bamford walked into a live lane of the A1(M) at Hatfield, Hertfordshire, interfering with the operation of key national infrastructure. The offence was prosecuted under the Public Order Act 2023.
Magistrates were told the incident created a serious risk to road users and caused significant disruption to services.

Bamford also admitted a separate offence committed on January 14, 2026, at Cartlett railway station in Haverfordwest, where she trespassed on the railway and obstructed an engine or carriage, contrary to the Malicious Damage Act 1861.
A further charge of intentionally or recklessly causing a public nuisance — relating to lying in the live carriageway of the A1(M) — was also taken into account.
The bench said the offences were so serious that only an immediate custodial sentence could be justified, citing disregard for public safety and the scale of disruption caused.
Bamford received a total custodial sentence of eighteen weeks’ imprisonment, with the terms to run concurrently. No order for costs was made due to her lack of means and the immediate custody imposed.
District Judge Alaw Harries presided, sitting with magistrates Dr S Hancock, Mr D Fawcett and Mr R John. The prosecution was conducted by Sian Vaughan.
Crime
Neyland stalker admits harassment of Milford Haven woman
A MAN has admitted stalking a woman over a two-month period in Neyland and has been placed on conditional bail ahead of sentencing.
Andrew Richards, aged 39, of High Street, Neyland, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Monday (Feb 16), where he pleaded guilty to stalking without fear, alarm or distress.
The court heard that between December 2, 2025 and February 15, 2026, Richards pursued a course of conduct which amounted to the stalking of a female in Milford Haven.
The offence falls under Section 2A of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.
Magistrates adjourned the case for a pre-sentence report to be prepared and remanded Richards on conditional bail.
As part of those conditions, he must not contact the complainant directly or indirectly and must not post anything on social media relating to her.
He is also banned from entering Milford Haven town unless attending pre-arranged medical appointments.
Richards was ordered to live and sleep each night at his home address in Neyland while on bail.
The case will return to Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court for sentencing on Monday, March 9.
Crime
MAN charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’
Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday
A MAN has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent following an incident in Pembroke Dock involving controversial local activist Darren Edmundson, widely known as the “Pembrokeshire Patriot.”
Zack Ian Craig High, aged 26, of Anthem Court, Monkton, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Monday (Feb 16) accused of unlawfully and maliciously causing grievous bodily harm to Edmundson with intent.
The allegation relates to an incident at an address in Bush Street, Pembroke Dock, on January 29.
No plea was entered during the hearing. Due to the seriousness of the charge, the case was sent directly to Swansea Crown Court under Section 51 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.
High was remanded in custody. Magistrates were told bail was refused on multiple grounds, including the nature and seriousness of the offence, concerns he may commit further offences, interfere with witnesses, and issues relating to previous record and character.
He is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on March 20 at 9:00am for a plea and trial preparation hearing.

Link to major police operation
The charge comes after a significant armed police operation in Pembroke Dock on Friday (Feb 13), which The Pembrokeshire Herald reported extensively at the time.
Heavily equipped officers carried out pre-planned raids in Bush Street and nearby Gordon Street, leading to four arrests including a man detained on suspicion of grievous bodily harm.
It is understood the investigation relates to the alleged assault which has now resulted in High being charged.
About the alleged victim

Darren Edmundson has previously attracted attention locally and nationally under the name “Pembrokeshire Patriot,” becoming known for outspoken activism and online broadcasting. His activities and campaigns have generated both support and controversy.
He has also been linked to disputes surrounding a veterans’ support initiative and other activism-related issues, which he has strongly denied wrongdoing.
No further details about Edmundson’s injuries were disclosed during the magistrates’ hearing.
As criminal proceedings are ongoing, Zack Ian Craig High is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in court.
-
Health6 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community7 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime4 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community1 day agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime6 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Community7 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway
-
Education4 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Climate6 days agoPlans for £40m Newgale coastal road upgrade put on hold









