Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pensioner fights for PIP

Published

on

Flo Jones: Relies on constant oxygen supply

A LOCAL pensioner who has to wheel around an oxygen cylinder wherever she goes has had her Personal Independence Payment (P.I.P) slashed from £450 to just £87 a month.

Flo Jones (68), of Neyland, appeared in court on Wednesday last week (Oct 5) as part of a tribunal to appeal her P.I.P being drastically cut; her appeal was refused.

Having suffered from Bronchitis since childhood, Flo was forced to undergo an operation in 1977 which involved the removal of half of her left lung.

In 2006, she experienced further set back after being diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (C.O.P.D). It was around this time that her pneumonia became considerably worse. Flo also suffers from arthritis in her shoulders.

P.I.P is a new scheme brought in by the government to replace the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) scheme. Flo had previously received a higher rate of DLA for over 25 years.

Describing her ability to undergo day-to-day tasks as ‘minimal’, Flo has to regularly stop to rest when she does attempt to leave the house, while household chores such as cleaning and ironing are off bounds entirely.

Flo, who has never smoked, said: “I just want to put it out there that I’m fighting for what I’m entitled to.”

Support for Flo on social media has been widespread since her appearance in court last week.

Speaking of the tribunal, Flo said: “The doctor was trying to catch me out, asking what painkillers I take.”

Flo said the doctor likely knew that the only form of painkiller she is able to take is paracetamol.

Spending most of the day by herself, Flo no longer has the option of a carer after being downgraded to ‘medium mobility’ on the new P.I.P scheme.

She said: “My husband works full-time and when he gets home, he helps me.”

Flo was born in June 1948. If she had been born just two months earlier in April, she would have been exempt from re-assessment.

Speaking about the possibility of appealing again, Flo said: “I don’t think I’d have the strength to do it; six months I’ve had to go through this.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Business

Castell Howell Foods highlights sector concerns over Covid recovery

Published

on

THE HOSPITALITY sector may be opening up, but transport and supply issues are hampering the industry’s recovery – according to Castell Howell Foods.

One of the UK’s largest independent food wholesalers, Castell Howell, has taken the step of contacting customers to highlight the significant challenges faced by the sector as it recovers from the pandemic.

While there is relief at easing lockdown and optimism for a busy summer with bookings for UK ‘staycations’ and leisure activities, pressing issues remain.

Shortages of key staff and problems faced by some suppliers have resulted in the Welsh wholesaler being forced to make some “uncomfortable” decisions and changes to its operation, including having to pass on some supply chain price increases.

In particular, a shortage of qualified delivery drivers has meant the Cross Hands based business has had to be resourceful to maintain its delivery frequency to its customers. To help bridge the gap in the short term, other Castell Howell staff who hold an HGV licence have been temporarily redeployed to the transport department. Among them are area sales managers.

Castell Howell Sales Director, Kathryn Jones, said “Unfortunately, due to the drastic reduction in sales in 2020, our workforce decreased by over 100 colleagues. Whilst we now need most to return to the workplace, many have found alternative employment; this is a common theme across the supply chain.

“We have been actively advertising and recruiting for several months. However, as highlighted in the press, there are over 75,000 vacancies across the UK for HGV drivers alone.

“We too are currently short of drivers, especially Class 2 HGV. Driving a multi-drop vehicle for Castell Howell is a very different proposition to driving a limited drop schedule. Consequently, as you can imagine, it has been challenging to fill these vacancies.”
Stock availability is also an issue, as some suppliers struggle to manufacture under new social distancing rules. Delivery to Castell Howell from suppliers is also being affected by the UK-wide shortage of haulage drivers.

Kathryn Jones said, “To build up buffer stocks, we are increasing our volume of orders, especially for commodity lines. We aim to mitigate future stock shortages the best we can. We are constantly seeking substitute products from manufacturers who have the capacity to deliver. However, this is becoming increasingly more difficult.”

Castell Howell has made changes to its ordering process to improve its own deliveries, with earlier cut-off times.

“These changes go against the grain and were extremely difficult decisions to take. However, it is imperative to implement these in order to continue operating under these difficult circumstances whilst still maintaining a high level of service. We are very grateful to our customers for their support, patience and understanding.”

For Castell Howell, the difficulties arising from the pandemic were exacerbated by the loss of business with SA Brain & Co. This loss occurred following the Welsh company’s deal with brewery giant Marston’s to operate SA Brains pubs from January 2021.

Before that date, Castell Howell had been the sole supplier to SA Brain since 2008, including supplying 80 of the Welsh brewery’s managed public houses.

Kathryn Jones said, “However, despite the challenges in the supply chain and deliveries, we remain optimistic that the sector in the UK will work together to navigate through these unprecedented times and have a successful summer.”

Continue Reading

News

Port boss: Pembroke Dock development full permission an ‘important step’

Published

on

THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE of the Port of Milford Haven has welcomed a decision of “non-intervention” by the Welsh Government over plans to re-vamp Pembroke Dock’s historic port facilities.

The redevelopment scheme, approved by Pembrokeshire County Council’s Planning Committee in May, will see some areas such as a dock covered with sand and “infilled”.

Plans also include the demolishing of some buildings, erection of buildings and ancillary works.
Despite planning being granted at council level, full authorisation to go ahead with the development was not to be issued until the Welsh Government made its decision regards the matter.

More about the planning application can be read here: https://www.herald.wales/west-wales/pembrokeshire/major-marine-project-causes-concern-about-visual-impact-and-heritage-loss/

Now that the Welsh Government has decided not to interfere with Pembrokeshire County Council’s grant of planning permission, the Port’s boss, Andy Jones, expressed his delight, saying: “This marks an important step forward in the development of Wales’ clean energy centre at Pembroke Dock.

“It will provide sustainable opportunities for the many people who rely on the activity along the Milford Haven Waterway for employment.

CEO: Port Authority’s Andy Jones (Pic MHPA)

“Pembroke Dock Marine will unlock new opportunities for young people to enter the maritime, renewable and engineering sectors, build resilience within Pembrokeshire’s business community, and make a positive contribution to our natural environment as we transition to a low carbon energy generation.”

Tim James, head of commercial and energy at the Port of Milford Haven called the project a “once in a generation opportunity to improve Pembrokeshire’s economy for years to come”.

Objectors had complained that the plans were too large and would damage the historic dockyard, as well as having a visual impact on the dock.

The was opposition from local heritage campaigners, with complaints over the size of two huge proposed hangars which the project’s critics said would impact adversely the landscape.

The economic benefits of the £60 million marine energy “far outweigh” any impact on the historic environment, a report earlier this year to council planners said.

Continue Reading

News

Medical evacuation from LPG tanker off St Ann’s Head

Published

on

ANGLE Lifeboat was launched on service at 12:59pm on Thursday afternoon (Jun 10) to assist in a medical evacuation from a LPG tanker 13 miles SSW off St Ann’s Head.

The coastguard helicopter from Newquay in Cornwall was also on route. With the poor visibility due to fog, Angle all-weather lifeboat was to stand by the vessel to provide an alternative route for evacuation if needed.

After a choppy route in the poor visibility the RNLI volunteers arrived on scene at 2:07pm.

At the time of their arrival, the paramedic from the coastguard helicopter was aboard the vessel preparing the casualty to be winched to the helicopter.

In less than ten minutes the casualty was winched up to the helicopter and flown to hospital, at which point the lifeboat and crews were stood down and headed back to the station.

After rehousing shortly after 3:30pm the lifeboat was washed fuelled and made ready for service shortly after.

Continue Reading
Business14 hours ago

Castell Howell Foods highlights sector concerns over Covid recovery

THE HOSPITALITY sector may be opening up, but transport and supply issues are hampering the industry’s recovery – according to...

News2 days ago

Port boss: Pembroke Dock development full permission an ‘important step’

THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE of the Port of Milford Haven has welcomed a decision of “non-intervention” by the Welsh Government over...

News2 days ago

Medical evacuation from LPG tanker off St Ann’s Head

ANGLE Lifeboat was launched on service at 12:59pm on Thursday afternoon (Jun 10) to assist in a medical evacuation from...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven child sex offender Colin Sharpe jailed for 10 years

A MILFORD HAVEN child abuser sat crying in court as details of his four-year long abuse of a schoolgirl were...

News5 days ago

Police on patrol near key industry infrastructure

OPERATION SERVATOR patrols were carried out on Wednesday morning (Jun )  with the Joint Firearms Unit and the roads policing...

News5 days ago

Paul Davies raises marina hotel development in Senedd chamber

A NEW hotel development in Milford Haven has been raised in the Senedd Chamber by local Member Paul Davies. Mr...

News5 days ago

Police looking for missing Pembrokeshire teenager [Update: Girl has been found]

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for help to find 15-year-old Rosie Suvarna-Umeanozie who is missing after travelling from Tenby to London...

News6 days ago

Coronavirus cases in Wales still lowest in UK says Health Minister

WALES continues to have the lowest rate of coronavirus cases in the UK, Welsh Health Minister Eluned Morgan said today. ...

Sport6 days ago

Welsh Government pilot test event confirmed for North Pembs

THE Wales Triathlon will take place in Fishguard on Saturday (12 June) as part of the Welsh Government’s series of pilot...

News6 days ago

Herald lodges application to overturn reporting restriction at the Court of Appeal

THE PEMBROKESHIRE HERALD has applied to the Court of Appeal to overturn the press gagging order which prevented the defence...

Popular This Week