News
Simpson gains Conservative support in leader bid
DAVID SIMPSON has gained the support of the Conservative group to replace Jamie Adams as the Pembrokeshire County Council leader.
This morning (May 15), Conservative members met in Haverfordwest and decided to support Cllr Simpson in his leadership bid, which brings the total number of members supporting him to 26. He would need 31 votes to secure the leader position, with a total of 60 seats at County Hall.
Cllr Simpson is also supported by the Labour and Plaid Cymru groups.
A spokesperson for the group said: “An initial AGM of the Conservative Group of Councillors elected to Pembrokeshire County Council took place this morning in Haverfordwest. All members were in attendance. This group is now the largest Political Party on Pembrokeshire County Council.
“The meeting decided by an overwhelming majority to support Cllr David Simpson for the Leadership of Pembrokeshire County Council. This matter will be decided on the 25thMay 2017 at the AGM of full council.
“The support for Cllr Simpson, should he be elected, will however be met with very careful scrutiny revolving around policies on an issue by issue basis. ”
Last week, Cllr Simpson said: “The recent election results have sent a clear message that Pembrokeshire will not stand for the old way of doing things any more. The way the Council has been run in recent years has been unacceptable. Change is needed and nobody can pretend it’s not time for that change to happen.
“I will not buy support for my leadership by promising Cabinet seats and cosy ‘jobs for the good old boys’. People are fed up by votes being bought by nods, winks, and the promise of position. Pembrokeshire’s electors are not daft – they’ve had enough of a flawed system. I am asking my fellow councillors to support me only if they think I am the best person for the job.”
Cllr Simpson said that his wide business experience, and his previous stint as Cabinet member for housing, equipped him to drive forward improvements in the way council delivered services.
And he promised a more open administration, involving all 60 members, with party differences set aside in the interests of providing better services and value for money.
“Under my leadership, Cabinet members will be appointed on merit. If you want the best for Pembrokeshire, you have to pick the best people – not just those who will nod things through without scrutiny. Ability will count and that is what I will be looking for if I am elected leader by those who feel like I do: the time for change is now,” he said.
Business
MS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
PAUL DAVIES and Samuel Kurtz, Conservative Members of the Senedd have hosted a business advice surgery in response to mounting concerns about recent rateable value changes introduced by the Welsh Government.
The event followed an online forum on business rates, where local businesses raised serious worries about sharp increases in their rateable values and the impact this is having on already stretched budgets.
Over 140 entrepreneurs and business owners registered for the online forum held last month which also brought together industry representatives and the Valuation Office Agency.
Held in Narberth, on Tuesday 17th February, the surgery provided an opportunity for businesses to raise concerns directly with Paul Davies, Member of the Senedd for Preseli Pembrokeshire and Samuel Kurtz MS, Member of the Senedd for Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire. Both standing for the new Ceredigion Penfro seat in May’s Senedd election.
The session focused on the challenges businesses face regarding business rates, financial pressures, and navigating support schemes. Attendees were able to share their experiences, ask questions, and make their voices heard by speaking direct to those who can challenge decisions taken by Welsh Government.
“Small businesses are the backbone of our local economy,”said Samuel Kurtz, “After hosting the online forum on business rates, it was clear that many businesses wanted a chance to discuss their concerns in person. This surgery allowed us to listen, provide advice, and explore how we can support them effectively.”
Paul Davies MS commented, “Businesses across Pembrokeshire are deeply concerned about the Welsh Government’s changes to rateable values. Many feel the new assessments simply do not reflect the current trading conditions. We are determined to make sure their voices are heard loud and clear.”
Local business owners welcomed the initiative, praising it as a practical and accessible way to voice their concerns on managing business rates and other financial challenges.
The surgery is part of an ongoing commitment to support local businesses, amplify their concerns, and ensure businesses voices are heard in policy discussions.
Davies and Kurtz have committed to continuing to press the Welsh Government for a fairer approach to business rates and have already written to Labour’s Financial Cabinet Secretary, Mark Drakeford, sharing the experience and impact of local businesses facing rising rate bills.
Business owners wishing to share their experiences or seek advice are encouraged to contact their constituency offices.
Crime
Man sent to Crown Court over strangulation and assault allegations in Pembroke Dock
A 46-YEAR-OLD man has been sent to the Crown Court to face multiple charges including intentional strangulation following an alleged incident in Pembroke Dock.
Fazlur Rahman, aged 46, of Lewis Street, Pembroke Dock, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Monday (Feb 16).
The court heard he faces three allegations arising from an incident on February 13, 2026, at an address in Hawkstone Road, Pembroke Dock.
The charges include intentional strangulation of a female, assault by beating, and racially or religiously aggravated harassment, alarm or distress, relating to words allegedly directed towards a police officer.
No pleas were entered at this stage.
Magistrates sent the case to Swansea Crown Court for trial under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.
Rahman was granted conditional bail. His bail conditions include not contacting the complainant directly or indirectly and not entering Hawkstone Road, Pembroke Dock. The court was told the conditions were imposed to prevent further offending, avoid interference with witnesses and ensure his attendance at court.
The next hearing, a plea and trial preparation hearing, is listed at Swansea Crown Court on March 20 at 9:00am.
Crime
Man remanded in custody over Tenby grievous bodily harm allegation
A 35-YEAR-OLD man has been remanded in custody after appearing before magistrates charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm following an alleged incident in Tenby.
Lewis Thompson-Gill, aged 35, of Worcester Road, Little Witley, Worcestershire, appeared at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Monday (Feb 16) for a mention hearing.
The court heard he is accused of unlawfully and maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on a woman on or about December 28, 2025, in Tenby. The allegation is contrary to section 20 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861.
No plea was entered.
Magistrates remanded Thompson-Gill in custody. The court was told bail was refused due to concerns he was likely to offend, could cause injury or fear of injury to an associated person, and might interfere with witnesses or obstruct the course of justice. Previous record and character were also cited.
The matter was adjourned for a further mention hearing at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Monday, February 23 at 10:00am, which is expected to take place via live video link.
A custody time limit has been set to expire on April 13, 2026. A trial is provisionally listed for March 2 at 2:00pm, with an estimated duration of two hours and 30 minutes.
-
Health6 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community7 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime4 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community1 day agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime6 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Community7 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway
-
Education4 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Climate6 days agoPlans for £40m Newgale coastal road upgrade put on hold






