News
Ironman funding agreed
PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S Cabinet has agreed a new five year plan to fund the Ironman Wales event in Tenby, at their meeting on Monday, June 12.
The event has proved to be one of the most popular in the county and brings in over £3million to businesses across Pembrokeshire.
The new agreement will last from 2017-2021 and will also give the Council the first chance to bid on a number of other initiatives as part of the event.
Cabinet members were keen to stress that the event, although the race is held on one day, lasted throughout the week and that the benefits could be felt county-wide.
Cllr Paul Miller said: “The overall ask is £50,000 a year contribution to the hosting of Ironman in Tenby. Not all of that money is to come from the council itself. The Pembrokeshire Coast National Park will are looking to make a contribution of £16,000 per annum and Tenby Town Council, at least for the first year, have made a contribution of £5,000.
“That takes the ask of the authority to £29,000 in the first year and no more than £34,000 in the following years.
“I think we’re buying a fantastic showcase of Pembrokeshire as a destination and the report sets out some idea of the economic benefits that have been gained, particularly by the communities in and around the Ironman route but also to Pembrokeshire as a whole.
“We do need to recognise the importance of tourism to the economy in Pembrokeshire and events like this play a significant role in generating those visits and the spend in those local communities.
Cllr David Simpson said: “For a cost of £29,000 and last year it generated over the £3million pound mark for our traders in Pembrokeshire, people have got the bed and breakfasts, people have got the shops, people have got the hotels and it is an absolute wonderful achievement that we got it here in the first place.
“It not only puts us on the map in Great Britain, it puts us on the map of the world and it is a wonderful advertisement for this beautiful county.”
Cllr Phil Baker, who lives on the cycling route in Saundersfoot, said he sees a number of people out on the route in training and added that he whole-heartedly supported the event.
Cllr Bob Kilmister added that although the cost may be around £29,000 the cost could be a bit higher because of the services that they wouldn’t be providing during the Ironman event.
Cllr Cris Tomos said that he had spoken to Amroth Cllr Tony Baron who had although it was great that so many people visit the county during the event, some traders do see a lull and asked whether signage could be available to point out that businesses are open.
Councillors voted unanimously in favour of supporting Ironman and on approval, Cllr Simpson said it was ‘good news for Pembrokeshire’.
The Ironman Wales, Pembrokeshire 2017 event will take place on Sunday, September 10.
Community
Community pool launches funding appeal to secure future
A COMMUNITY-RUN swimming pool in Narberth is appealing for public and business support as it works to safeguard the future of one of Pembrokeshire’s most valued local facilities.
Narberth Swimming Pool, operated by charity Swim Narberth CIO, has unveiled plans for a £338,000 sustainability and improvement project aimed at protecting the building, cutting energy costs and ensuring the pool can continue serving the community for decades.
The facility was saved from closure in 2014 following a major community-led fundraising campaign and has since become a vital local asset. It now supports more than 500 children and 1,000 adults every week through swimming lessons, school sessions, inclusive and disability-friendly programmes, and health and wellbeing activities for people of all ages.
Chair of Trustees Chris Walters said the next phase is about protecting what the community worked so hard to preserve.

“This project isn’t about expansion or luxury upgrades,” he said. “It’s about keeping the doors open, the water warm and the building safe.”
A key element of the project is the replacement of the pool’s roof, which was never fully completed when the charity took over more than a decade ago. The structure has deteriorated over time, leading to persistent leaks and ongoing maintenance problems.
“The roof is a real concern for us,” Chris explained. “If we don’t address it now, the problems will only get worse and more expensive to fix.”
Alongside the roof works, the project will include installation of a modern high-efficiency air-handling system and upgrades to the existing solar photovoltaic panels. Together, the improvements are expected to reduce energy use by more than 30%, cut carbon emissions and significantly lower long-term running costs.
Swim Narberth CIO has applied to the Welsh Government Community Facilities Programme for £300,000 towards the scheme and must raise approximately £40,000 in match funding to unlock the grant.
Chris said the opportunity follows more than five years of waiting for a funding programme of this scale, with earlier plans delayed by the Covid pandemic.
“During that time, we’ve focused on stabilising the pool, growing participation and improving quality,” he said. “Winning a recent Swim Wales Award, and being the only swimming pool in Pembrokeshire to hold the Swim Wales Learn to Swim accreditation, has cemented Narberth’s position as a key community facility. But awards don’t repair roofs — investment does.”
Fundraising efforts are now being coordinated by Pool Manager Alice, with events and initiatives planned in the coming weeks. The charity is also approaching local businesses and national organisations to help secure the required match funding within a limited timeframe.
“We’re asking businesses to consider sponsoring the pool in some way,” Chris said. “In return, we’re committed to giving something back, whether that’s recognition, promotion or community engagement.”
As part of the appeal, larger donors are being offered a practical incentive.
“For anyone with slightly deeper pockets,” he added, “we’re offering a free company swim session for around 25 employees in return for a minimum donation of about £1,000. It’s a great team-building activity and supports a really good cause.”
Chris said trustees hope the same community spirit that saved the pool in 2014 will once again come to the fore.
“We’re asking the community to rally around the pool once more,” he said. “Without this investment, there’s a real risk that the pool becomes increasingly difficult to sustain in the future.”
Swim Narberth CIO will share updates on fundraising progress in the coming weeks. Anyone wishing to support the appeal can follow the charity on Facebook at facebook.com/swimnarberth or donate via gofund.me/447a446d7.
Community
Anyone can administer EpiPens in emergencies, councillor clarifies
Proposal aims to ensure life-saving devices are available in every Pembrokeshire school
A COUNCILLOR has clarified that anyone is legally permitted to administer an adrenaline auto-injector (AAI), commonly known as an EpiPen, in a medical emergency, following confusion during a recent debate at Pembrokeshire County Council.
Councillor Huw Murphy circulated guidance to colleagues after presenting a Notice of Motion calling for arrangements to be made with Hywel Dda University Health Board so that every school in Pembrokeshire can hold the potentially life-saving devices.

He pointed to changes made to medicines legislation in 2012, which broadened the law to allow any member of the public to administer adrenaline for the purpose of saving a life. Previously, the law required the person giving the injection to have received appropriate training.
Cllr Murphy said he had been aware of the legal position during the debate but was unable to reference the specific regulations at the time due to technical difficulties.
He thanked fellow councillors for supporting the motion in principle and said the estimated cost of around £14,000 to equip schools across the county would represent good value given the potential to prevent fatalities in emergency situations.
The councillor also suggested the Welsh Government may need to review its national policy on the storage and use of AAIs in local authority schools as awareness grows and demand increases.
If approved, the proposal would see discussions take place with health partners to develop a practical framework allowing schools to hold and use the devices safely.
Local Government
Review launched into winter gritting for north-east Pembrokeshire roads
Council to assess whether salt provision should return to Preseli and higher-ground communities after concerns over closures
PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has agreed to review its winter maintenance strategy for roads in the north and north-east of the county, following concerns that higher-ground communities are more vulnerable to snow and ice disruption.
The decision comes after a Notice of Motion was presented by Independent Group Leader, Councillor Huw Murphy, calling for a reassessment of how the authority manages gritting and salt provision in areas north and north-east of the A40, including the Preseli Mountains and communities such as Crymych and Tegryn.
Council officers and Cabinet members acknowledged that these upland areas experience harsher winter conditions than much of the county and are more likely to become impassable during periods of snowfall and icy weather.
The review will also examine the 2022 removal of the auxiliary salt depot previously located near Crymych. If the review concludes that additional provision is required, a replacement salt tip could potentially be reinstated in the north-east, although not necessarily at the former Llanfyrnach site.
The council expects the review to be completed during the second half of 2026.
Councillor Murphy said he welcomed the response from officers and Cabinet, adding that the issue had significant implications for residents, businesses and schools in affected areas.
He said: “The higher ground of north-east Pembrokeshire and areas adjacent to the Preseli Hills are more susceptible to closure during periods of poor weather, especially snow and ice. The potential return of an auxiliary salt tip is something that should be seriously considered and would be welcomed by local communities in helping to keep roads passable during difficult conditions.”
He also referenced the severe weather disruption seen during late 2025, which highlighted the challenges faced by rural communities when key routes become blocked.
Pembrokeshire County Council currently operates three winter maintenance zones across the county, but the review aims to determine whether the existing arrangements provide sufficient resilience for the most weather-exposed areas.
Further details are expected once the assessment work progresses later this year.
-
Health6 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community7 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime4 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community1 day agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime6 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Community7 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway
-
Education4 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Climate6 days agoPlans for £40m Newgale coastal road upgrade put on hold








