Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Saundersfoot: Carer sexually assaulted woman as she slept at home

Published

on

A FILIPINO carer sexually assaulted a Saundersfoot woman as she slept in her own home, a judge heard on Monday (Dec 15).

She woke to find that Fritz Ortega, aged 35, had taken off her trousers and was trying to have sex with her. Ortega, now living in Farnborough, Hampshire, admitted sexual assault and was jailed for 15 months. He denied a charge of rape and his plea was accepted by the prosecution at Swansea Crown Court.
Nicola Powell, prosecuting, said Ortega had developed “a crush” on the woman. She returned from holiday with a gift for his son and Ortega gave her wine and beer as a thank you. He suggested they shared the drinks together, which she agreed to.
Ortega told his wife he was going downstairs to watch a late night film but slipped out to visit his victim.  Miss Powell said Ortega began acting strangely and told her he was falling for her.
After a while she fell asleep on a sofa and woke to find Ortega on top of her with his and her trousers on the floor. Ortega said “God forgive me” but the woman went to his home and told his wife what had happened.
His barrister, John HIpkin, said he had completely misread the situation.
Judge Peter Heywood said it was a distressing experience for the woman.
“Obviously, you had not made it clear to your wife where you were going. This was a serious sexual assault although it was very much out of character as far as you were concerned,” he added.
Judge Heywood said it would be for others to decide whether Ortega should be deported after serving his sentence.
Ortega was ordered to register with the police as a sex offender for the next 10 years and banned from working with children or vulnerable people.

News

Conservatives hold on to Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat

Published

on

THE CONSERVATIVES have held on to their Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat despite Labour closing the gap.

Sam Kurtz will take over the seat from the outgoing Angela Burns who held a majority of 3,400 at the last election.

This time, the gap was just 936 to Labour’s Hassan Riaz who picked up 10,304 votes.

Plaid Cymru’s Cefin Campbell picked up 6,615 votes.

The turnout in Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire was slightly up to 52.12% from 51.2% in 2016.

However, with a larger electorate thanks to votes for 16/17-year-olds, the number of votes cast went up by almost 3,000.

Continue Reading

News

Paul Davies re-elected as Conservatives hold Preseli Pembrokeshire

Published

on

PAUL DAVIES has been re-elected to represent the Preseli Pembrokeshire constituency.

He won with 12,295 votes, while there were 10,895 votes for Labour’s Jackie Jones.

Plaid Cymru candidate Cris Tomos gained just over 6,000 votes and there were also 1,239 for Reform UK candidate Alan Dennison.

There were over 3000 more votes cast in 2016, down largely in part to the fact that 16 and 17 year olds were able to vote in this election.

Both the Conservatives and Labour received more votes than before while the gap to Labour closed to just 1,400.

After being elected, Paul Davies said he would continue to ‘fight for Pembrokeshire’ and thanked those who had been involved in his campaign.

Continue Reading

News

Former Cardigan Castle director sentencing delayed

Published

on

THE SENTENCING of a former director of Cardigan Castle who has pleaded guilty to charges of fraud and theft totalling over £40,000 has been delayed.

Former director, Jac Davies, pleaded guilty to charges of fraud and theft was due to be sentenced on Wednesday (May 4) at Swansea Crown Court – but has now been delayed.

Davies who held the £40,000 a year post fraudulently obtained £33,098.75 and stole a further £7,932.97 from the award winning restoration project..

Davies held his position at Cardigan Castle from September 2017 to November 2019.

The defendant has pleaded guilty to fraudulently obtaining £4,143.20 from the castle on December 21, 2017.

Again Davies admitted to fraudulently obtaining £28,955.55 between February 4, 2019 and November 3, 2019.

Two further charges of theft were also admitted – one charge of  theft from the castle of £1,908.18 between May 2, 2018 and May 24, 2019 and a further charge of theft from Cardigan Castle Enterprises to the sum of £6,024.79.

Dyfed-Powys Police conducted a year long investigation after being contacted by the castle board of directors.

Financial discrepancies were identified during financial monitoring.

An internal investigation was launched and Davies left his position within the castle in October 2019 following a disciplinary process.

Continue Reading
News3 hours ago

Conservatives hold on to Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat

THE CONSERVATIVES have held on to their Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire seat despite Labour closing the gap. Sam Kurtz...

News3 hours ago

Paul Davies re-elected as Conservatives hold Preseli Pembrokeshire

PAUL DAVIES has been re-elected to represent the Preseli Pembrokeshire constituency. He won with 12,295 votes, while there were 10,895...

News8 hours ago

Dyfed-Powys Police criticised for failing to record thousands of crimes

A SHOCKING new report says that Dyfed-Powys Police failed to record thousands of crimes, despite being told to improve two-and-a-half...

News1 day ago

Milford Haven: Mount estate death not being treated as suspicious say police

POLICE have confirmed that following a welfare visit to a property in Mount Estate, they discovered a male occupant, in...

Politics1 day ago

Pembrokeshire heads to the polls

THE ELECTIONS to the Welsh Parliament/Senedd Cymru take place today, Thursday (May 6). Over the last few weeks, we’ve published...

News1 day ago

Milford Haven: Man arrested following suspicious flat fire in Robert Street

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that the force is investigating a fire which occurred at a property in Lower Robert Street,...

News2 days ago

Ongoing incident closes busy Haverfordwest road

A MAJOR road in Haverfordwest has been closed due to a police incident this afternoon (May 5) A man was...

News3 days ago

James Oulton found not guilty of 30 counts of sexual assault against 11 ex-pupils

JAMES OULTON, 34, the primary school teacher who was accused of 30 charges of sexual assault against pupils has been found...

News3 days ago

Nineteen arrests and weapons seized during knife crime action week

NINETEEN people were arrested and a number of weapons were seized as police took part in a national week of...

News3 days ago

Haverfordwest: Police investigate alleged assault, one man arrested and bailed

POLICE officers in Haverfordwest are investigating an incident where a woman was reportedly assaulted. The alleged attack took place at...

Popular This Week