Connect with us


Hudgell heads Goodwick to Cup glory



GOODWICK United’s Lee Hudgell headed his side to a second West Wales Cup win in two years as they beat Penlan 1-0 in the West Wales Cup Final at the Liberty Stadium in Swansea.

The Pheonix boys won the Cup in 2016 as part of their historic treble winning season and they were keen to get their hands on the cup once again.

There was a good crowd of 674 and they witnessed a close game which could have gone either way.

Goodwick nearly went ahead after thirty seconds as Jordan Griffiths won the ball and headed on to Lee Hudgell who crossed into the box for Jonny Horgan but his volleyed effort went wide.

With five minutes gone Griffiths played Horgan in down the left but his shot again went just wide of the right hand post.

On eight minutes Wayne O’Sullivan brought down Penlan’s Darren Rowe on the edge of the box giving them a good opportunity. Dale Otten took the kick but Jamees Gwilt made an excellent save to deny him.

Moments later Jordan Griffiths danced his way through a number of players in the box but his shot was eventually saved by Penlan keeper Marcus Collins and the rebound was blocked wide.

Penlan’s Luke Chappell then came close but his curled effort went wide of the right hand post. Luke Dallin also found space down the left but his cross was blocked well by Stefan Hayes.

With twenty minutes gone Chappell won the ball back and Dallin took over but his shot also went wide of the posts.

Goodwick’s Horgan was causing problems down the left and when he was fouled after he made a cross the referee blew for a free kick and Kyle Barrett picked up the first yellow card of the game. The free kick was sent into the box but straight into the arms of the Penlan keeper.

Penlan’s Dallin then passed into the middle for Rowe but his goalbound effort was saved by Gwilt.

Kieran O’Brien then found space to run into the Penlan half and he passed to Griffiths but his shot on the turn was blocked.

Penlan looked to break and a great pass found Barrett but as he was about to pull the trigger, Llyr Tobin got back to make an excellent tackle.

Six minutes before half time, Dallin found Chappell whose shot was saved well by Gwilt but it wouldn’t have counted had it gone in as the linesman flagged for offside.

Dallin was proving a handful for Goodwick and he won a free kick on the left edge of the box which he took and had to be blocked wide by Goodwick’s defenders.

The half time whistle went with the score still locked at 0-0 and both sides were still in with a chance of lifting the cup.

There was a scrappy start to the second half as both sides committed fouls, one of which saw Wayne O’Sullivan booked.

It was Goodwick who had the first real chance of the second half ten minutes in as Hudgell crossed into the box but the ball was headed over by Penlan, away from the waiting O’Brien. From the resulting corner Horgan’s kick was headed in at the front post by Lee Hudgell.

Griffiths then had a chance to double Goodwick’s lead but his effort was blocked wide for a corner.

With twenty minutes to go, Goodwick’s Chris O’Sullivan was injured and he had to be brought off and replaced by Matty Delaney.

Matty was straight in on the action as he beat his man down the left before running into the box and stopping on the byline. Penlan keeper Collins came for the ball and appeared to catch Matty but no penalty was given.

Llyr Tobin was then sent off with ten minutes to go for a second bookable offence and Goodwick would have to hold on with ten men.

Penlan sent a number of crosses into the box but Goodwick dealt with them well. Otten had a chance from one such cross but he gave away a foul as he headed over.

James Gwilt, who had not had much to do, was alert as he punched away another free kick and the rebound was fired over.

Four minutes of added time were signalled and Gwilt again did well to pluck a dangerous cross out of the air.

Gwilt punched another free kick away and that sent Johnny Horgan through but his shot went agonisingly wide of the posts.

Penlan pushed but the final whistle went meaning Goodwick were West Wales Cup Champions yet again!

After the match, the Herald caught up with keeper Gwilt who said: “We’re delighted, the boys worked extremely hard and we ground it out and managed to win the cup.

“I’ve got a great back four in front of me so they make my life easy and we managed to keep them out so it is a great win.”

Chris O’Sullivan added: “It’s great for the club, for what it does throughout the season, it’s a great compliment to our team. It’s a professionally run club and everybody deserves it, they’ve worked hard for it.

“Both teams created a lot of chances first half and could have taken the lead. 0-0 at half time was a bit disappointing because we had some great chances but we knew we were always going to create chances and it was just a case of taking one of those and we know how to see a game out, we’re really well drilled and once we scored I was confident in seeing it through.”

Asked how the sending off affected the team, Chris said: “We work on things like that, we banked up with two banks of four, a coach of mine taught me that really well, Sean Cresser, so that experience in working alongside him helped us today, it worked, we’ve seen it out so it’s great for the club.”


Goodwick prove too strong for Fishguard



GOODWICK United maintained their excellent start to the season on Saturday (Oct 23) as they beat Fishguard 7-2 at Tregroes Park.

The game was just thirteen minutes old when the first goal went in as Luke Hayward set up Kieran O’Brien who scored his first Division 1 goal of the season.

They had to wait until the stroke of half time for their second goal and it was Hayward who was the creator again as this time he found Nathan Greene who made it 2-0.

Fishguard were not out of the game at half time and ten minutes into the second half they were back in it when O’Brien’s own goal made it 2-1.

However, just four minutes later, Iestyn Evans scored his second goal of the season to make it 3-1 to the visitors.

Rhys Dalling made it 4-1 soon after as Fishguard’s hopes of getting back into the game were all but over.

Jordan Griffiths then added Goodwick’s fifth goal of the game before Fishguard pulled a second goal back through Sean Seymour-Davies.

That proved to be a consolation effort though as Daniel James scored for Goodwick before Dalling rounded off the win with a penalty.

On Saturday, October 30, Goodwick host Hakin United in a battle of the top two teams in the division.

Continue Reading


Lawrenny upset Narberth in Senior Cup



DIVISION 3 side Lawrenny beat Division 1 side Narberth in the Senior Cup on Saturday (Oct 23) to book their place in the second round of the competition.

It was an excellent win for Lawrenny which earns them a tie against neighbours Carew in the second round.

Narberth have struggled so far in Pembrokeshire’s top division but they went ahead on 19 minute when Matthew Kidney put the ball into his own net.

Lawrenny were not put off by that setback and in the space of six minutes they turned the game on its head.

Ben Adams scored to level the game and just a minute later Max James scored to put Lawrenny ahead.

Tom Cole then scored just after the half hour mark to give Lawrenny a 3-1 lead.

And just a minute into the second half it was 4-1 as Adams scored his second goal of the game.

He then completed his hat trick to all but seal Lawrenny’s passage into the second round.

However, Josh Layzell pulled a goal back for Narberth and Jordan Howell scored after to make it 5-3 to give the Division 1 side a bit of hope.

They were unable to find another goal though and Adams made sure of the result as he scored his fourth goal in the last minute of the game.

Continue Reading


Saints see off Pendine in Senior Cup



ST Clears booked a second round Senior Cup tie with Monkton Swifts on Saturday (Oct 23) as they beat Pendine 2-0.

It was the first fixture between the two teams for ten years and excitement was building ahead of the game.

The first half was a quiet affair though as neither side was able to find any sort of rhythm in the tough conditions and the score was still 0-0 at half time.

The Saints came out for the second half with a bit more purpose and got their rewards when Ben John neatly beat two players and rolled the ball in to the bottom corner past Pendine keeper Jack Bowen.

St Clears continued to press but Pendine were putting up their best efforts to keep them out.

The Saints sealed the victory in the 80th minute when a long throw-in into the box was met by the head of Martin Thomas, who made no mistake from 6 yards out.

Continue Reading


Community1 hour ago

Deadline approaching for Enhancing Pembrokeshire Panel

THE LOCAL AUTHORITY is urging organisations and community groups to apply for the final round of Enhancing Pembrokeshire grants of...

News12 hours ago

Increase in people hare coursing and lamping without landowner’s permission

DYFED-POWYS POLICE’S Rural Crime Team is reporting an increased number of calls regarding persons suspected to be Hare Coursing, and/or...

News13 hours ago

Milford Haven man’s record-breaking 6000th ride on Megafobia at Oakwood

RYAN HACKETT has been addicted to riding a wooden roller coaster for the past 25 years and has now enjoyed...

Health1 day ago

Young people aged 12 to 15 urged to get COVID-19 jabs during Half Term Holiday

DURING half term week (Saturday 23 to Sunday 31 October) young people aged 12 to 15 can access their COVID-19...

News2 days ago

MP calls for cut in beer duty for pubs

PRESELI MP Stephen Crabb has written to the Chancellor ahead of next week’s Budget calling on him not to increase...

News3 days ago

County lines intensification week sees drug supply disrupted into west Wales

Officers from Dyfed-Powys Police carried out 11 raids during a week of action tackling county lines drug gangs. COUNTY LINES...

News3 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Pensioner sentenced to 20 years for child sex offences

A PENSIONER from Pembroke Dock has been given an extended sentence of 20 years in prison with a further year...

News3 days ago

Civil Aviation Authority launches #ShotOnMyDrone competition

THE UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has launched a new photography campaign and competition – #ShotOnMyDrone – to both highlight the amazing images that...

News3 days ago

Police appeal following burglary in Bunkers Hill, Milford Haven

POLICE in Milford Haven are investigating a burglary which occurred sometime between September 24 and October 4 in Bunkers Hill,...

Health3 days ago

Ombudsman slates Health Board

HYWEL DDA UHB failed a mother and son when it abruptly ended support services for individuals with long-term needs. The...

Popular This Week