Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Have your say on adult social care

Published

on

social careCLR PAUL MILLER will be in the Globe public house in Fishguard on Thursday, June 19 talking to residents about elderly and adult social care. 

Working with UNISON Pembrokeshire, Cllr Miller launched ‘Time to Care’ last month – a campaign aimed at giving residents the power to shape the future of adult care services in Pembrokeshire. Cllr Miller and the team will be at the Globe from 2 to 3.30pm and from 6.30 to 7.30pm. Anyone is welcome to drop in, anytime and there are even some free sandwiches on offer at lunchtime! Anyone receiving care, with a relative receiving care or just apprehensive about what support they might need in the future, should be involved in this debate. This is your chance! Cllr Miller told The Herald: ‘Pembrokeshire Council is going to be making major changes to the way in which it delivers care to elderly residents. I want to talk to as many people as possible before they do that, to make absolutely sure the council is delivering for the many thousands of people who rely (or who might soon rely) on home or residential care. ‘It was clear when we launched this campaign that whatever people said they need, myself and the Labour Group will campaign to deliver it. This is everyone’s chance to make sure they are getting the service they need.’

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Published

on

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere

PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred out of county for specialist treatment under major changes approved this week by Hywel Dda University Health Board.

Under the new model, patients suspected of having a stroke will continue to receive initial assessment and emergency treatment at Withybush Hospital.

However, those requiring specialist stroke care will then be transferred to Glangwili Hospital in Carmarthen, which is expected to become the main specialist stroke centre for the region.

Health leaders say concentrating specialist services in one location will improve outcomes by ensuring patients are treated by dedicated teams with greater expertise and availability.

Concerns about travel times

The changes are likely to raise concerns in Pembrokeshire, where travel distances to Carmarthen can be significant and ambulance journeys lengthy, particularly from rural communities.

Stroke treatment is highly time-critical, with outcomes often depending on how quickly specialist care can be delivered.

Campaigners have previously warned that longer transfer times could increase risks for patients in remote parts of west Wales.

Local care still provided

Health officials stress that Withybush Hospital will continue to play an important role in stroke care.

Patients will still receive emergency assessment, stabilisation and initial treatment locally before transfer if specialist intervention is required.

Where appropriate, patients may later be transferred back closer to home for recovery.

Regional plans still developing

As part of the wider changes across west Wales, proposals to develop enhanced stroke rehabilitation services at Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth remain subject to further risk assessment and community consultation.

No final decision has yet been confirmed.

Changing role of Withybush

The stroke changes represent another shift in how services are delivered at Withybush Hospital, with specialist treatment increasingly concentrated at larger centres elsewhere in the region.

The hospital will continue to provide a 24-hour emergency department, diagnostics and other core services, but the way patients access specialist care is evolving.

 

Continue Reading

Business

Mounting complaints: More Computer Solutions Wales customers claim losses

Published

on

Business owner issues legal threats and IPSO complaint to this newspaper while refusing to answer detailed questions about customers who say they were ‘ripped off’

MULTIPLE customers and former associates have come forward to The Pembrokeshire Herald alleging they were left out of pocket after dealings with Computer Solutions Wales, a business operated by Steven Grant.

Following our earlier reporting more people have come forward. The Herald has now spoken to a growing number of individuals who describe similar experiences involving upfront payments, missing equipment, delays, and difficulties obtaining refunds or wages.

The allegations span a period from 2024 into 2025 and involve sums ranging from hundreds to several thousand pounds.

Grant denies wrongdoing and has refused to provide detailed comment on specific allegations, instead issuing legal threats demanding the newspaper cease reporting on the matter.

The Herald investigation is continuing.

Customers describe similar experiences

While each case has its own circumstances, complainants who contacted the newspaper independently described recurring themes:

• Requests for payment upfront
• Delays or lack of communication
• Explanations involving disputes with landlords or access to premises
• Assurances that work had been completed or refunds issued
• Difficulty recovering money or property

The Herald has reviewed bank statements, payment confirmations, correspondence, and message exchanges relating to several of the complaints.

There is currently no finding of criminal liability, and disputes of this nature are typically matters for civil courts. However, the number of individuals reporting similar experiences has raised public-interest concerns.

NHS worker says she lost laptop and repair payment

One of the most recent complainants, Emma Venables, an NHS worker, says she paid £589 in October 2024 to have her son’s water-damaged laptop repaired.

Bank records seen by the Herald confirm a Faster Payment of £589 made on Friday (Oct 11, 2024) to Computer Solutions.

Ms Venables says communication became sporadic despite repeated attempts to contact the business.

Messages reviewed by the Herald show Grant stating the laptop had been repaired but was locked inside premises due to a dispute with a landlord.

Ms Venables later gained access to the premises through a letting agent but says the laptop was not present.

Grant allegedly suggested the device may have been taken by others with access to the building.

Despite later agreeing to refund the payment, Ms Venables says no money was returned and she has been left both without the device and out of pocket.

She told the Herald the situation caused significant distress during a period when she was grieving the death of her husband.

Animator claims nearly £3,000 loss

Cardiff-based animator Rebecca Merrell says she transferred £2,964.55 in December 2024 for a custom-built computer system which she says was never delivered.

Bank documentation supplied to the Herald confirms the transfer was made via Faster Payments to an account linked to Grant’s business.

Ms Merrell alleges she received repeated assurances the computer had been completed and would be delivered, including claims it was already in Grant’s vehicle awaiting transport.

She further alleges she was sent screenshots appearing to show a refund had been issued, but no payment was ever received.

The Herald has reviewed copies of documents she provided.

Ms Merrell says she was unable to work for months without a replacement computer and had to borrow money from family to purchase another system elsewhere.

She described the experience as having a serious impact on her confidence and mental wellbeing.

Another customer reports lost laptop and payment

The Herald has also spoken to another customer who says they lost both a laptop valued at approximately £1,500 and £589 paid for repairs after handing the device to the business.

They say they were later told the computer had been inside premises affected by a landlord dispute and could not be accessed.

No refund was received.

Further individuals have contacted the Herald describing disputes involving payments for goods or services they say were not delivered or completed.

These claims are currently being reviewed.

Computer Solutions Wales former shop in Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire (Image: Facebook)

Former worker alleges unpaid wages

Separate to the customer complaints, the Herald has also been contacted by a former worker who claims they carried out work connected to the business but did not receive agreed payment.

Documentation relating to that claim has been shared with the newspaper.

The Herald understands the individual believes they are owed money and has considered pursuing recovery through civil action.

Grant has not provided a response to that allegation.

Timeline of disputes

Information provided to the Herald suggests the disputes span several months.

Some complainants describe making payments in late 2024 and experiencing ongoing communication issues into early 2025.

Others report refund promises that they say were not fulfilled.

The Herald is continuing to verify additional timelines as more individuals come forward.

Grant refuses detailed comment

The Herald contacted Steven Grant with detailed questions covering each allegation and the evidence provided by complainants.

He declined to respond to the specifics.

In correspondence, Grant said: “My mental health isn’t great.”

He also warned that further articles would result in legal action.

Legal threats issued to newspaper

Grant subsequently sent what he described as a “final and formal legal notice” to the Herald demanding:

• Immediate cessation of reporting
• Removal of published material
• A retraction
• Written confirmation within seven days

The Herald is continuing its reporting in the public interest.

Grant has also lodged a complaint with the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO).

Right to reply offered

Grant has been given multiple opportunities to respond to the allegations raised by customers and former associates before publication of this article.

He declined to provide any substantive comment.

Customers considering legal action

Some complainants say they are considering civil claims or seeking advice from Trading Standards.

Others say personal circumstances prevented them from pursuing action sooner.

Investigation continues

Since the Herald began reporting on Computer Solutions Wales, additional individuals have contacted the newspaper with further accounts.

Journalists are currently interviewing witnesses and reviewing documentation to establish whether those complaints can be reported on the record.

Anyone with relevant information is invited to contact the newsroom confidentially.

 

Continue Reading

Health

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Published

on

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care

MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been approved following an extraordinary meeting of Hywel Dda University Health Board on Thursday (Feb 19).

Board members agreed the next steps in the organisation’s Clinical Services Plan, covering nine services identified as under pressure or “fragile”, including emergency general surgery, critical care, stroke and orthopaedics.

The decisions will see some specialist services concentrated on fewer hospital sites, alongside plans to expand planned care at Prince Philip Hospital in Llanelli and Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest.

Health chiefs stressed that no immediate changes would take place, with implementation expected to happen gradually over several years.

At Bronglais General Hospital in Aberystwyth there will be increasing focus on acute and emergency care

Consultation and decision process

During summer 2025, the Health Board carried out a major public consultation involving more than 4,000 questionnaire responses and engagement events attended by over 4,000 people.

An independent report produced by Opinion Research Services summarised the feedback, while board members also considered workforce pressures, clinical standards, estate issues and financial factors.

Twenty-two alternative proposals submitted by the public were formally assessed against criteria including sustainability, accessibility and deliverability.

Emergency surgery changes

Under the plans, emergency general surgery operations will be concentrated at Glangwili Hospital in Carmarthen and Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth.

Patients from Pembrokeshire requiring surgery will be transferred to Glangwili when operative treatment is needed.

However, emergency departments will continue operating as normal at all four hospitals.

The Health Board promises increased planned care activity while continuing initial emergency access at Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest

Other service changes

Across the region, the approved direction includes:

• Intensive care units remaining at Bronglais, Glangwili and Withybush, with Prince Philip Hospital providing enhanced care for less critically ill patients.
• Dermatology services primarily based at Prince Philip Hospital, supported by community clinics and telemedicine.
• Endoscopy procedures brought together at Prince Philip while retaining bowel screening across sites.
• Ophthalmology services concentrated mainly at Glangwili with community provision elsewhere.
• Orthopaedic surgery expanding at Withybush for less complex procedures.
• Radiology retaining emergency imaging at all hospitals with new diagnostic hubs planned.
• Urology inpatient care centralised at Prince Philip Hospital.

Stroke services remain under review, with further public engagement planned before final decisions.

The Health Board said that Glangwili Hospital there will be increasing focus on acute and emergency care

Future role of hospitals

The Board confirmed the intended future roles of the four main hospitals:

• Bronglais Hospital — broad range of services.
• Glangwili Hospital — increasing focus on acute and emergency care.
• Prince Philip Hospital — expanding planned care role.
• Withybush Hospital — increased planned care activity while continuing initial emergency access.

Health leaders emphasised there would be no change to how patients access emergency departments or minor injury units.

Board leaders respond

Health Board Chair Dr Neil Wooding said the changes were necessary to secure services for the future.

“Our ambition is for people to live healthier lives for longer by supporting people to keep well and preventing ill health,” he said.

“These decisions are not easy, but as a Board we have a duty to ensure that our services provide the best outcomes for our patients and meet the highest standards.”

Lee Davies, Executive Director of Strategy and Planning, said most services now had a clear direction.

“Our priority is always to deliver the highest standards of care for our patients across Hywel Dda and neighbouring communities,” he said.

Next steps

Detailed implementation plans will now be developed, with further engagement expected in areas where decisions are not yet finalised, particularly stroke services.

Patients are being advised to continue attending appointments as normal while the changes are planned.

More information, including board papers and meeting recordings, is available via the Health Board website.

 

Continue Reading

Health6 minutes ago

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred...

Health19 hours ago

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been...

Health22 hours ago

Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision

Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to...

Local Government1 day ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime2 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community3 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime3 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business4 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime4 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government4 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

Popular This Week