Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Training courses to raise awareness of food hygiene

Published

on

Food_Standards_Agency[1]FOOD HYGIENE ratings that were introduced by the Food Standards Agency (FSA), have now become commonplace as all food outlets have to comply with and display them. 

While the “scores on the doors”scheme has recently been the subject of much discussion, the Welsh Food and Drink Skills Project is proactively driving change and supporting food premises in Wales to understand better how the scheme works and how they can improve. The fully accredited courses have been developed by Food Business Assistance in collaboration with Lantra, after research into the Food and Drinks Supply Chain (FDSC) in Wales revealed a shortage of key skills to drive the industry forward in the coming years. Caryl Tudor Jones, Project Coordinator for The Welsh Food and Drink Skills Project said: “As consumers we should be confident that food outlets are operating responsibly and the food hygiene ratings scheme helps in giving us that confidence. “However our research tells us there is a need to improve the skills of workers within the food sector to better understand what is required and how they can meet the requirements. “Our courses have been developed with the needs of businesses at the very forefront of the training so they are not just another box-ticking exercise, but fundamental to the success of the business. Scoring lowly on the Food Hygiene Rating is not good enough, when, with simple, practical and affordable training, all Welsh businesses could achieve the very highest marks which is what we want to see, the business want to see, and of course the people who eat or buy their food there.” Upcoming Food Hygiene Rating training courses are on Wednesday, June 18 at the Food Centre Wales, Horeb, Llandysul (£42) and on Wednesday, July 2, at Glynd?r University (£42). Despite the FDSC being Wales’s largest collective employer, employing 230,000 people and generating £6.5 billion a year, The Welsh Food and Drinks Skills Project has found that skills gaps will stifle this vital industry unless addressed now. Food Hygiene Rating training courses are just one of the many that the Project have on offer to close the skills gap, and get the FDSC ready to meet the needs of the coming years. To learn more about Lantra’s accredited Food Hygiene Rating training courses, or to find out what other courses we have that may be of interest to you, please contact The Welsh Food and Drink Skills team on 01982 552646 or visit www.foodanddrinkskills.co.uk.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Kurtz Brings LINK to Pembroke Dock as Banking Hub assessment reopens

Published

on

LOCAL Senedd Member Samuel Kurtz has welcomed representatives from LINK to Pembroke Dock for discussions on the urgent need for a dedicated banking hub, following the closure of Lloyds Bank in the town last year.

The visit follows a sustained community campaign led by Mr Kurtz, which has gathered more than 1,500 signatures in support of establishing a banking hub in Pembroke Dock. As a result of this campaign, LINK has reopened its assessment and is now reviewing whether Pembroke Dock and the surrounding communities meet the criteria for a hub.

Mr Kurtz convened the meeting with LINK alongside key local representatives, including Stephen Thornton of the Pembroke and Pembroke Dock Chamber of Trade, Cllr Gareth Jones, Mayor of Pembroke, and Sarah Scourfield, Clerk to Pembroke Dock Town Council. Cllr Michele Wiggins, Mayor of Pembroke Dock, also expressed her support for the campaign but was unable to attend.

Speaking following the meeting, Samuel Kurtz MS said: “I am pleased that LINK are demonstrating the seriousness this campaign deserves by visiting Pembroke Dock and undertaking a thorough review of whether there is a clear need for a banking hub.

“I have consistently made the case that Pembroke Dock cannot be considered in isolation. Pembroke and neighbouring communities must be factored into the assessment, particularly given the rural nature of the area and limited public transport connectivity.

“This is a truly community-led campaign, and I am pleased to have helped bring partners together to make the case. We now await the outcome of LINK’s review and keep our fingers crossed that will see a much-needed banking hub established in Pembroke Dock.”

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Police warn cryptocurrency holders after personal data found on dark web

Published

on

Regional cyber crime officers urge residents to act quickly if contacted

POLICE in Wales have issued an urgent warning to cryptocurrency holders after officers discovered personal data linked to individuals in the region on the dark web.

Specialist officers from the Cyber Crime Team at Tarian Regional Organised Crime Unit (ROCU) have already contacted a number of people whose details were identified.

Anyone who received an email from Tarian ROCU on Thursday (Feb 19) is being urged not to ignore it, as action may be needed to protect themselves from fraud.

Officers stressed that genuine police emails will not usually contain links or attachments. Anyone unsure about the authenticity of a message claiming to be from police is advised to contact 101 to verify it.

Detective Inspector Mathew Davies, from Tarian ROCU, said cryptocurrency owners are increasingly being targeted by criminals.

He said: “Cryptocurrency holders are attractive targets to fraudsters. I would urge anyone who has cryptocurrency to ensure they are secure online and to be aware of potential scams.

“Make sure you are using strong passwords, enable two-factor authentication, and consider using a password manager. Regularly check your bank and other financial accounts for signs of suspicious activity.”

Police warned that fraudsters often impersonate trusted organisations such as banks, police, or financial institutions. Genuine representatives from these bodies will never ask people to transfer money, share financial details, or hand over remote access to devices.

Officers also highlighted the growing role of social media in scams, with around two-thirds of cryptocurrency frauds now beginning on online platforms, including dating sites.

Detective Inspector Davies added: “Fraudsters may attempt to build a rapport with you online and then encourage you to invest your cryptocurrency in a scheme that seems too good to be true. I would encourage all cryptocurrency holders to learn how scams work and how their money or data could be stolen.”

Anyone who believes they have been targeted or fallen victim to fraud is urged to report it via Action Fraud at www.reportfraud.police.uk.

Further advice on staying safe online is available from the National Cyber Security Centre.

 

Continue Reading

Health

Anger at Pembrokeshire Withybush hospital downgrade decision

Published

on

THURSDAY’S health board decision to downgrade the emergency general surgery service at Pembrokeshire’s Withybush hospital has been condemned by local politicians.

Last year, Hywel Dda University Health Board consulted with its communities on options for change in critical care, dermatology, emergency general surgery, endoscopy, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, stroke, radiology and urology.

It said its Clinical Services Plan focuses on nine healthcare services that are “fragile and in need of change”.

These nine clinical services were selected because of risks to them being able to continue to offer safe, high-quality services, or care in a timely manner, the board has previously said.

The proposed changes included an option for Withybush patients needing specialist critical care being transferred to Glangwili.

At a two-day meeting into the proposed changes, held on February 18 and 19, the board backed changes into emergency general surgery which will see no emergency general surgery operations taking place at Withybush, but a strengthening of the same-day emergency care (SDEC).

For the other three hospitals, there would be no change in emergency general surgery provision, other than a strengthening of SDEC at Glangwili.

Members stressed the changes would not happen overnight.

Reacting to the decision, local MP Henry Tufnell described it as “another blow for access to healthcare in Pembrokeshire,” adding:  As your MP, I will continue to do everything in my power to fight for improvements to our essential services. I’ll be urging the Health Board to revisit this awful decision on emergency services.”

Plaid Cymru candidate for the forthcoming Senedd elections Kerry Ferguson called on the Health Board to reconsider its decision.

“We are so disappointed with the Health Board’s decision to remove the current emergency general services from Withybush. Whilst the Board has committed to maintaining and strengthening Same Day Emergency Care, residents of west Pembrokeshire will still face at least an hour’s journey to receive emergency operations or significant treatment.

“Residents in Pembrokeshire are rightly worried and anxious about the services Withybush might lose, and losing their emergency general services is a huge blow.

“I call on the Health Board to urgently reconsider their decision, and to take into account the risks and impact that implementing option A will have on residents of Pembrokeshire.”

Local Conservative politicians have also reacted angrily to the Withybush decision, along with changes to the stroke service provision at Ceredigion’s Aberystwyth-based Bronglais hospital.

Local Welsh Conservative Senedd Member, Paul Davies MS said: “I’m appalled that Hywel Dda University Health Board has voted to remove general emergency surgery services from Withybush hospital – but I’m not surprised.

“The Health Board is obsessed with removing services from Pembrokeshire and has spent years downgrading and removing services from Withybush hospital. As one constituent has rightly said, the Board should be rebranded the Carmarthenshire Health Board, as it continues to strip assets from other hospitals in west Wales.

“Removing general emergency surgery services critically undermines the sustainability of Withybush hospital’s A and E department and will result in patients having to be transported for urgent treatment. This is not acceptable – I will be taking this to the Welsh Government and urging Ministers to intervene and stop the Health Board from making this catastrophic decision.”

Fellow Pembrokeshire Conservative Senedd Member Samuel Kurtz MS said: “Residents in Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion are being treated like second class citizens, as it is always us in the West that has to see our services cut.
“The salami slicing of services is exactly what the Labour government have wanted, and the health board are delivering. This is a sad day, and residents will rightly be angry and concerned.”

 

Continue Reading

News5 hours ago

Council tax to rise again as Pembrokeshire sets new budget

Schools and social care receive extra funding in 2026–27 spending plans PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has approved its budget for the...

Health5 hours ago

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred...

Health1 day ago

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been...

Health1 day ago

Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision

Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to...

Business1 day ago

Mounting complaints: More Computer Solutions Wales customers claim losses

Business owner issues legal threats and IPSO complaint to this newspaper while refusing to answer detailed questions about customers who...

Local Government1 day ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime3 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community3 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime3 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business4 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Popular This Week