Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Narberth man ‘demonstrated an unhealthy interest in young girls’

Published

on

A PEMBROKESHIRE man in his 60s sent messages to what he believed to be four different young girls, but they turned out to be three different paedophile hunters and a police officer working undercover, Swansea Crown Court has heard.

Robert Daye asked the youngsters for photographs of them in their school uniforms, talked about performing sex acts on them, and told one of them he wanted to put her over his knee and spank her.

Helen Randall, prosecuting, told the court that in August last year Daye started communicating what appeared to be an online profile belonging to a 13-year-old girl.

Over the following fortnight, the defendant sent a series of messages during which he sent the girl a picture of his erect penis and asked if she wanted to play with it, said he wanted to have sex with her, and told her he wanted to put her over his knee and spank her.

The prosecutor said the profile Daye was communicating with was being operated by a police officer. As a result of the messages, the defendant was arrested on September 4 and answered “no comment” to all questions asked before being released on bail.

The court heard Daye resumed his online activities in the summer of this year when he sent messages to what he thought were three 13-year-old girls – these accounts were being run by members of groups set up to target sex offenders. During the conversations with these profiles, the defendant talked about the girls’ breasts, described the kinds of sex acts he wanted to perform on them, and again asked for photographs of the children in school uniforms.

On July 4 members of one of the paedophile hunter groups arranged to meet Daye – after confronting him at the rendezvous, they called the police. Read about a man who burnt girlfriend with cigarette, stamped on her face and broke her jaw here.

Robert Daye, aged 63, of Cold Blow, Narberth, had previously pleaded guilty to four counts of attempted sexual communication with a child when he appeared in the dock for sentencing. He has one previous conviction from 1986 for an unrelated offence.

Dan Griffiths, for Daye, said it was accepted there was a degree of persistence to the defendant’s offending which had continued after his arrest and release on bail, and that his client had “demonstrated an unhealthy interest in young girls”. He said it was clear from the pre-sentence report into Daye that the digger driver was a “somewhat isolated man” who had enjoyed “few emotionally intimate relationships, and whose life had been characterised by prolonged periods of loneliness”. The advocate invited the court to find there was a realistic prospect of rehabilitation in his client’s case.

Judge Geraint Walters told Daye he had had the “gall” to continue offending even while under investigation by the police. He said though there seemed to be differences within the pre-sentence report as to the level of risk the defendant posed, he was prepared to follow its recommendations. With a discount for his guilty pleas, Daye was sentenced to 15 months in prison suspended for two years, and he was ordered to complete a rehabilitation course and Maps for Change sex offender’s programme. He will be a registered sex offender for the next years 10 years and will be subject to a sexual harm prevention order for the same length of time.

Crime

If you have a drink problem, you need to address it’ blasts judge

Published

on

A NORTH Pembrokeshire motorist has been banned from driving for three years after admitting his second drink-driving offence in ten years.

Trystan Davies, 34, was stopped by officers as he drove his Vauxhall Corsa on the A476 at Cardigan on the evening of June 1.

When spoken to by officers, Davies admitted drinking half a bottle of red wine prior to driving.  However his breath tests showed he was over twice the prescribed drink-drive limit, with a reading of 76 mcg.  The legal limit is 35.

This week Crown Prosecutor Abigail Jackson informed district judge Mark Layton sitting at Haverfordwest magistrates court that Davies, of Parceithin, Blaenffos, was convicted of a previous drink-driving offence in 2019.

After Davies pleaded guilty to the charge of drink-driving his solicitor, Michael Kelleher, claimed the reading was high as his client had been on a drinking spree the night prior to the offence,

However District Judge Mark Layton questioned whether the alcohol would have remained in his system for this length of time.

“The fact that you’ve done it before makes this offence more serious,” commented Judge Layton when passing sentence.

“You should understand that when you drive after consuming alcohol, you don’t just risk your own life but the lives of everyone else.  If you have a drink problem, you need to address it.”

Davies was disqualified from driving for three years.  He was fined £120 and ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £48 surcharge.

Continue Reading

Crime

Call for boost to policing as over 9,231 car thefts go unsolved across Wales

Published

on

A STAGGERING 9,231 car thefts have gone unsolved in England and Wales since the last election, new Liberal Democrat analysis of Home Office statistics has uncovered.

The figures reveal that 65% of motor vehicle theft cases recorded between 2020 and 2023 were closed without a suspect even being identified. Meanwhile, just 7% of cases during this period resulted in a suspect being charged or summoned.

The number of unsolved car thefts has soared during this period, with a 29% rise from 2,100 in 2020 to 2,713 last year.

The Liberal Democrats are calling for Police and Crime Commissioners to be abolished and the savings invested into frontline policing instead – a move that could generate around £170 million over the course of the next Parliament. 

Welsh Liberal Democrat Leader Jane Dodds stated that more money needs to be directed away from bureaucratic roles and into allowing the police to investigate and solve crime.

South Wales Police recorded the worst outcomes in Wales, with a staggering 7,905 car thefts going unsolved in that time period – accounting for 71% of all cases.

Commenting, Welsh Liberal Democrat Leader Jane Dodds MS said: “We are seeing a car theft epidemic after years of Conservative chaos and failing Home Secretaries who have decimated frontline policing. 

“People want to know that if their car is stolen, the police will catch the culprit. But instead, the Conservatives have totally failed to get a grip on crime and let criminals get away with it. 

“The Welsh Liberal Democrats would abolish Police and Crime Commissioners and invest the savings in frontline policing instead, giving officers the resources they need to bring criminals to justice.” 

Continue Reading

Crime

Carmarthenshire leads in seizures of dangerous and illegal vapes

Published

on

A RECENT study by Vape Superstore has revealed alarming figures about the prevalence of illegal vape products across the UK, with Carmarthenshire emerging as a significant hotspot for illicit cigarette seizures. The investigation, leveraging Freedom of Information (FOI) requests, ranked UK councils by the volume of illegal vapes and cigarettes seized, shedding light on the widespread issue of non-compliant vape products infiltrating the market.

Carmarthenshire County Council stands out as the authority with the highest number of illegal cigarette packets seized, totalling 160,000. This is a stark reminder of the county’s ongoing battle against the distribution of non-compliant tobacco products. While Carmarthenshire did not top the list for illegal vapes, with 7,500 units seized, its role in tackling illegal cigarettes remains critical.

Illegal vapes pose significant health risks, often containing nicotine levels that do not match the labelling and potentially harmful chemicals like lead, nickel, and chromium. The Vape Superstore survey of 1,381 disposable vape users highlighted a concerning gap in consumer knowledge:

  • 50.3% of users were unfamiliar with the Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) regulations.
  • 83% were unaware of the health risks associated with illicit vapes.
  • 36.4% believed black-market vapes offered better value for money.
  • 34.1% did not recognise the difference between illicit and regulated devices.

These statistics underscore the need for increased public awareness and stricter enforcement of vaping regulations.

The future of vaping regulation

With the upcoming ban on disposable vapes in 2025, the market for illegal vapes is likely to expand. This necessitates proactive measures from councils and regulatory bodies to prevent a surge in black-market activities. The Vape Superstore’s study calls for heightened awareness and vigilance among consumers to ensure they purchase only compliant and safe vape products.

Ensuring compliance

To avoid the risks associated with illegal vapes, consumers are advised to:

  • Verify the authenticity of vape products.
  • Purchase from well-known brands.
  • Be sceptical of unusually low prices.
  • Request proof of TPD compliance from retailers.
  • Stay updated with the latest regulations and safety guidelines.

David Phillips from Vape Superstore emphasised the importance of informed purchasing decisions, stating, “With raised awareness about the dangers of these products, we believe that consumers will be able to make better-informed purchasing decisions in the future.”

The findings from Vape Superstore’s investigation highlight the urgent need for robust regulatory enforcement and consumer education to combat the illegal vape market. Carmarthenshire’s efforts in seizing a substantial number of illegal cigarettes demonstrate the critical role local authorities play in this ongoing battle. As the UK prepares for stricter vaping regulations, both consumers and retailers must remain vigilant to ensure a safe and compliant market.

For more detailed information on TPD regulations and the dangers of black-market vaping products, visit Vape Superstore’s comprehensive report.

Continue Reading

News6 hours ago

Welsh Conservatives ask voters to send a message to Labour: ‘Enough is enough’

THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES are rallying voters to use their voice on Thursday, July 4th, to signal that 25 years of...

News19 hours ago

Climber rescued after falling 40ft from cliff at St Govans

TENBY’S all-weather lifeboat was launched at 6pm on Thursday 20th June, after the Coastguard received a report that a climber...

Health1 day ago

NHS performance: Ambulances tied up as hospitals burst at the seams

The Welsh Government described the data as “disappointing”. WG “LACKS GRIP” ON FUNDAMENTALS Sam Rowlands MS, the Conservatives’ Shadow Health...

Charity1 day ago

Two more shouts for the busy Angle RNLI crew

AT 5:47am on Sunday 16 (Jun 16), Angle All-Weather Lifeboat was requested to launch to assist a police incident at...

Community2 days ago

Renewed partnership safeguards access and conservation at Castlemartin

A NEW agreement has been made to provide continued funding for a Ranger Service on the Military Ranges of South...

Crime2 days ago

Youth arrested for racially aggravated common assault in Haverfordwest

DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses to a racially aggravated assault which occurred in Tesco, Haverfordwest on Tuesday June 11,...

News4 days ago

Tributes paid to ‘much-loved’ couple who died in A477 collision

THE FAMILIES of a much-loved couple who died in a collision on the A477 on Thursday, June 13, 2024, have...

Crime4 days ago

Police confirm arrests following violent disorder in Pembroke Dock

POLICE in Pembrokeshire have made a statement following the incident on Saturday in which a man on a hoodie was...

Health4 days ago

Welsh cancer care in peril as workforce crisis escalates, warn radiologists

THE ROYAL College of Radiologists (RCR) has issued a stark warning about the escalating workforce crisis in Wales, revealing alarming...

Business4 days ago

Port reports over £40m in revenue for the first time in its history

IN the Port of Milford Haven’s 65th year, revenues exceeded £40m for the first time; closing the year at £41.3m....

Popular This Week