Connect with us


Narberth beaten by last gasp try



ON Saturday (Sept 17) Narberth hosted Bargoed, last season’s top of the table side, and a fiercely contested match was expected and what a classic it turned out to be watched by a large and enthusiastic crowd.

After ten minutes Narberth were first to score when after a charging run from Prop Bradley Davies the ball was spread wide to centre Hedd Nicholas who cut inside his opposite number and passed to his supporting co centre Ilan Phillips who scored near the posts. Full back Nick Gale converted (7-0).

Narberth suffered two early setbacks with Prop Lewis Davies pulling a hamstring in a scrum and Nick Gale having to leave the field with a head injury. The respective replacements were Sean Janes and Ashley Sutton.

The home team then gave away a penalty in front of the posts which the Bargoed centre kicked to make the score 7-3.

Shortly afterwards Bargoed had a lineout five metres from the Otters line and after a driving maul the ball was spread wide to their right wing who scored in the corner. The try went unconverted (7-8). Narberth were then awarded a penalty which fly half Jonathan Rogers kicked to push the home team in front again (10-8).

A few loose kicks out of defence by the Otters saw Bargoed counterattack and eventually their second row scored close to the posts and the try was converted to give Bargoed the lead again (10-15).

Just before halftime Narberth nearly scored again when a pass from wing Josh Davies to centre Nicholas ten metres from the try line was adjudged to be forward.

After the break the Otters were encamped for long periods inside the Bargoed 22 metre line but just couldn’t break down the visitors’ solid defence.

Narberth 2nd Row Alex Jenkins looked to have ripped the ball from a Bargoed defender and touch down over the try line, but the referee was unsighted, and the chance was lost. Then slightly against the run of play kicked a further penalty to stretch the lead to 10-18.

Narberth refused to give up and a dazzling run by Sutton saw him outpace the defence, step inside the opposing fullback and score a great try in the clubhouse corner which was not converted (15-18).

Almost immediately Bargoed responded with a further penalty to again stretch the lead to six points (15-21).

Bargoed got back down the field and were pressing near the Otters try line when a long pass was intercepted by Narberth wing Jordan Roberts who sprinted the length of the field only to be collared by the Bargoed winger one metre from the try line.

Both players fell to the ground and the referee immediately awarded a penalty try for a high tackle to put the Otters in front 22-21. In injury time Rogers kicked a further penalty to stretch the lead to 25-21.

Narberth supporters were praying for the final whistle to blow but the referee played on until the twelfth minute of injury time when Bargoed launched a last ditch attack.

Their centre was tackled right beneath the grandstand and 95% of those watching (including Bargoed supporters) thought the ball had gone forward from his grasp in the tackle.

Narberth players stopped, expecting the whistle to blow, but the Bargoed wing picked up the ball and started trotting towards the Narberth posts glancing at the referee who waved play on and the visitors scored a converted try with the last play of the game to win the match 25-28.

A very disappointing result for the Otters after all their hard work against one of the league’s top teams but they couldn’t be faulted for their effort and commitment throughout the match.

Photo courtesy of Frederick Thomas


Narberth hosts Under 8s Rugby festival



ON a cold Sunday morning (Sept 25) with temperatures barely above 10 degrees and with occasional rain and drizzle to dampen things down, a lively bunch of parents and coaches were entertained by youngsters learning and honing their rugby skills at the Lewis Lloyd ground which is the home of Narberth rugby.

It was a Lovely festival at home for the U8s of Narberth RFC and the young Otters won all their games:

Narberth 6 Llangwm 2
Tries from: 

Joe H x2
Danny E x1
Frankie P x2
Morgan R x1

Narberth 5 St Davids 2

Noah L x1
Joe H x2
Danny E x2

Narberth 5 Pembroke 1

Noah L x 2
Frankie P x 2
Molly J x1

Narberth 6 Milford 1

Noah L x1
Jac M x1
Joe H x 1
Danny E x 2
Arthur P x 1

All the young players, boys and girls in the mixed team, were very pleased to be sporting their new kit, sponsored by RTS Lime Conservation and Tlysau’r Mor.

Continue Reading


Narberth Athletic seal big win over Emlyn



THIS was a game of two halves, with Narberth playing at home on a very cold Saturday (Sept 24).

The visitors caused Narberth all sorts of problems at the breakdown in a frustrating first half of 40 minutes, the home team conceded 14 penalties but scored one try through Ryan Scourfield. Half time score 7-3.

After a good half time team talk from coaches Matt Davies and James Merriman, Narberth came out in the second half with a bit more enthusiasm and started to play at their renowned fast-running tempo creating some quick ball for the backs to work off, soon the tries started to come, scoring five tries in a purple ten-minute patch through players Ryan Scourfield, Shane Rossiter, Jordie James and Will (Pop) Davies.

During the second half, with Ryan Scourfield going over for his hat trick, two more tries followed from outside centre Llew Jones and Owain Hughes finishing off a superb display of running rugby.

Llew Jones moves the ball on

Shane Rossiter added four conversions to take the tally over 50 points. The running and linking play of the Narberth backs outclassed the visitors who never managed to breakdown the Narberth defence so they were unable to score any tries throughout the game.

Man of the match was awarded to flanker No 6 Jack Tucker on his first game back after a spell in Tenby.

A large crowd turned out to watch the squad and were well entertained. They enjoyed a social gathering in the clubhouse afterwards to finish the day off.

Sadly, one of the substitutes of the Newcastle Emlyn team, No. 6 Flanker Shaun Hawkins, suffered a leg and groin injury five minutes into the second half so he was taken to Withybush Hospital for a review. Narberth RFC wish him a speedy recovery.

Continue Reading


Narberth hold on for thrilling win over Bedwas



NARBERTH travelled to Bedwas on Saturday (Sept 24) and came away with an excellent win at a ground where they hadn’t won for many years.

The young Otters team started well and within minutes a break from the base of a Narberth scrum led to centre Ilan Phillips sprinting in near the posts for a try which was converted by fly half Ianto Griffiths (0-7).

Shortly afterwards swift passing of the ball along the Narberth back line resulted in wing Josh Davies scoring in the corner. The try went unconverted (0-12).

Bedwas got themselves back into the game when the Bedwas scrum half took a quick penalty five metres from the Narberth line and scored under the posts. The Bedwas fly half converted to make the score 7-12.

Both teams attempted to run the ball at every opportunity but defences held firm until the ball unexpectedly popped out of the back of the Bedwas scrum and flanker Tom Powell was on hand to receive a pass and charge downfield. He raced a full 50 yards with no-one able to catch him until he reached the Bedwas try line and scored under the posts. Griffiths converted (7-19).

Then just before the break Bedwas were guilty of holding onto the ball on the ground and Griffiths kicked the penalty to make the half time score 7-22.

In the second half Bedwas came out far more determined and the Otters were forced to defend for long periods close to their try line. Eventually the Bedwas openside flanker raced over to score in the corner. The conversion attempt failed (12-22).

Within minutes Bedwas had scored again when from a lineout on the Narberth 5 metre line a rolling maul enabled the Bedwas hooker to score a try wide out and the conversion attempt was successful (19-22).

The Otters were now under constant pressure and the home crowd were jubilant when a further try was scored in the corner by the Bedwas right wing which was again converted to put the home team in the lead for the first time in the match by 26 points to 22.

However Narberth refused to give up and with ten minutes remaining they managed to score their fourth try when Josh Davies beat his man along the left touchline and passed inside to his supporting scrum half Lewys Gibby who scored the winning try wide out. The conversion attempt failed but the Otters held out for the remaining minutes to win an exciting and enthralling match 26-27.

After the match coach Sean Gale said: “I’m very pleased to come away with a win. We had 7 players in the squad today who were under 23 years of age and as a coaching team we feel we are doing our best to develop the young players in the area which augurs well for the future of the Club.”

Continue Reading

News4 days ago

Crew rescued after fishing boat broke down at sea

A DRAMATIC rescue took place off the coast of Pembrokeshire on Monday night after a fishing boat failed to arrive...

News5 days ago

Milford Haven mosque opening for second Community Open Day

FOLLOWING the wonderful success of the open days at Milford Haven mosque on September 10 and 11, Milford Haven’s Islamic...

News6 days ago

Mount Estate man’s car had £73k worth of weed in the boot

A MOUNT ESTATE resident described by his barrister as ‘a gentleman’ tried to stop police looking in his car because...

News7 days ago

The world watches HM Queen Elizabeth II laid to rest in state funeral

THE QUEEN’S state funeral is taking place with ceremonial processions in London and Windsor today. This is the latest update...

News1 week ago

Pembrokeshire solider chosen to stand guard around coffin of The Queen

A SOLDIER from Pembrokeshire has been chosen to stand guard around the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth II as she...

News1 week ago

Thousands line streets to welcome King Charles and Queen Consort to Wales

KING CHARLES and the Queen Consort have visited Cardiff for their first official visit to Wales since the death of...

News2 weeks ago

Pembrokeshire County Council to close majority of services for Queen’s Funeral

SCHOOLS and most services run by Pembrokeshire County Council will be closed or paused on Bank Holiday Monday (September 19th)...

News2 weeks ago

Travel warnings issued over Royal visit to Wales on Friday

KING CHARLES III and the Queen Consort will visit Wales on Friday. The Royal couple will be in Cardiff, and...

News2 weeks ago

Ironman Wales will go ahead with ‘some changes’, organisers have confirmed

THE ORGANISERS of Ironman Wales have confirmed to The Herald that they have made the decision to go ahead with...

News3 weeks ago

The Queen has died, Buckingham Palace confirms

BUCKINGHAM PALACE has confirmed that HM The Queen died at Balmoral this afternoon. Prince Charles is now the King. The...

Popular This Week