Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Park housing policy is ‘’bonkers’’

Published

on

PembsNPATHE AFFORDABLE housing policy in the National Park has been described as a ‘disaster’ by authority member Bob Kilmister as the final scrutiny report on the scheme was received.
Members of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority considered a report from Scrutiny Committee chairman Ted Sangster which examined the affordable housing policy which included ambitious targets for the number of such dwellings to be built in the park by 2014.
The committee considered a large amount of evidence before coming to a conclusion. They said: “The local development plan affordable housing policy is not fully achieving its key outcome in terms of the number of affordable homes anticipated as being built or under construction by the end of the financial year 2014/15.
‘’The evidence shows that the delivery of affordable housing is currently falling short of the authority’s target.”
A number of reasons were considered for the failing, including the economic situation as well as a perception that the authority was not as ‘flexible’ on considering affordable home contributions during the planning phase.
The policy, adapted from national policy which all parks had to incorporate, sought to negotiate a minimum of 50% affordable housing as part of developments of two or more dwellings with a contribution element attached to the development on one building.
Authority member David Ellis said: “This is quite clearly a failed policy.
“I can’t think of a better way to put off developers than a punitive tax on his efforts. Even a single dwelling is being charged £250 a square metre, it’s a punitive tax and bound to put off anybody building or developing.”
There are currently permissions in place for 35 affordable dwellings and three contributions, of £250 per square metre, have been received since the policy came in on October 1 2011.
Authority member and county councillor Bob Kilmister was in full support of the committee and said that they needed to be more innovative in the future.
“I congratulate the members of the PCNPA scrutiny committee who have examined this policy in considerable detail. I agree with their conclusions and I hope that that we can now start the task of replacing this failed policy.
“The economic situation over the last few years has contributed to its failure, but there is no doubt in my mind that it would have failed even if the economy had been booming.
“The idea of a percentage of affordable housing in the local development plan is bonkers and it doesn’t work. We need to be more innovative about what we do.
“The principle of percentage targets and stealth taxing developers has simply seen the market shrink and reduced the numbers of affordable homes that can be provided. It has also had a very negative affect on employment within the construction industry. It has been a disaster.
“The fact that we don’t actually know the number of affordable homes we really need in each community is extremely worrying. The data we have is based on information prior to 2008 plus the housing waiting list.
“Many people who want housing are not on this list and others are on it for insurance purposes. Unless we can ascertain the accurate numbers required it is difficult to see us implementing an effective policy.”
Members agreed that the policy would be re-examined as part of the local development plan review and more effort would be made to engage with developers and promote the flexibility of the park be made.

 

Local Government

Independent group threatens to oppose council tax plans over education cuts

Published

on

Councillors demand £2m savings removed amid safeguarding concerns in schools

THE INDEPENDENT GROUP on Pembrokeshire County Council has warned it will not support the Cabinet’s proposed council tax increases unless planned reductions to the education budget are reversed.

Cabinet has recommended a council tax rise of 4.6% for 2026/27, followed by 5% the following year and potential increases of up to 7.5% in future years. The Independent Group has criticised the proposals, describing them as a “ballot box” budget which they claim postpones difficult financial decisions for future administrations.

The group also said it had not been consulted during the budget process by Council Leader Jon Harvey, despite representing a significant number of councillors.

Safeguarding concerns raised

Cllr Huw Murphy

Councillor Huw Murphy said the group’s main concern relates to education funding, particularly following the recent placement of three Pembrokeshire schools into special measures.

He said: “The seriousness of the situation facing education in Pembrokeshire cannot be overstated. All councillors need to place school safeguarding above party politics.”

The Independent Group argues that reducing the education budget by more than £2 million would be inappropriate at a time when schools face financial pressures and scrutiny from inspectors.

The councillors have called for the proposed savings to be reinvested to help improve standards at Ysgol Harri Tudur, Milford Haven School and the Pembrokeshire Learning Centre in Neyland, as well as addressing wider infrastructure concerns including building maintenance issues at several schools across the county.

Budget pressures acknowledged

The group acknowledged efforts by the council’s finance leadership to achieve savings, noting projections that the authority could finish the financial year under budget.

However, Councillor Murphy questioned whether some efficiencies may have affected services, including education provision and safeguarding.

He also highlighted that councillors had previously reduced proposed education cuts during last year’s budget process following cross-party support.

Political tensions

The statement also criticised the position of councillors from other parties, questioning whether Labour and Plaid members would support reductions in education spending given the current challenges facing schools.

It further referenced previous proposals from Liberal Democrats councillors for higher council tax increases to protect school funding, suggesting the current position appeared inconsistent.

The Independent Group says it will only support the budget if education cuts are removed, placing what it describes as safeguarding, wellbeing and educational attainment as its priority.

The Herald has approached Pembrokeshire County Council for comment.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

Published

on

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s annual pancake races brought residents and visitors together for a day of family-friendly fun.

The much-loved tradition, held to mark Shrove Tuesday, saw competitors of all ages take to the streets armed with frying pans, attempting to race while flipping pancakes without dropping them. Spectators lined the route in good spirits, many wrapped up against the chilly weather, as children, families and local groups took part.

Among the highlights were enthusiastic young racers proudly showing off their pancake-flipping skills, with some managing impressive mid-air flips while others focused on simply reaching the finish line with their pancake still intact. The event created plenty of memorable moments for families watching and taking part.

RNLI volunteers also joined the celebrations, bringing colour and community spirit to the occasion in their distinctive yellow gear, alongside a mascot character who proved popular with children.

The races form part of Tenby’s traditional Shrove Tuesday celebrations, which continue to be an important date in the town’s community calendar. Organisers said the event is designed to bring people together, celebrate local traditions and create a fun experience for families during the school half-term period.

Younger participants also took to the course in dedicated children’s races, many concentrating hard as they carefully balanced their pancakes while moving along the route under the watchful eyes of parents and marshals.

With smiles all round and plenty of successful pancake flips, the event once again proved why Tenby’s pancake races remain a cherished annual tradition for the community.

Photos: Gareth Davies / Herald.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Teen given community order after assaulting police officer at hospital

Published

on

A TEENAGER from Neyland has been given a community order after admitting assaulting a police officer at Withybush Hospital.

Luke Davies, aged 18, of Springfield Avenue, Neyland, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Monday (Feb 16) for sentencing.

The court heard that on July 9, 2025, at Withybush General Hospital, Haverfordwest, Davies assaulted PC Elliot Jamie Williams while the officer was acting in the execution of his duty. The offence is contrary to section 89(1) of the Police Act 1996.

Davies had previously pleaded guilty to the charge on January 6, 2026.

Magistrates imposed a community order running until August 15, 2027. The order includes participation in drug rehabilitation and alcohol treatment programmes for six months, both to be carried out as directed by probation, along with regular court reviews.

He must also complete up to 20 days of rehabilitation activity requirements.

Davies was ordered to pay £200 compensation and £85 prosecution costs.

The case will return to Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court for review on March 16 at 10:00am.

 

Continue Reading

Community3 hours ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime6 hours ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business20 hours ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime1 day ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government1 day ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News2 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health3 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime4 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime4 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News4 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Popular This Week