Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pembrokeshire lawyers family informed of body in Thames

Published

on

Gianni Sonvico, missing in London.

Gianni Sonvico, missing in London.

A BODY has been found in the search for a missing barrister who police believe may have fallen into the Thames after a night out.

Gianni Sonvico, 23, was last seen in CCTV footage near Tower Hill at around 11pm on Friday, October 25, after attending a function at the Middle Temple.

Police were called to reports of a body in water at Greenwich Pier at approximately 10am yesterday. His family have been informed.

A Met Police spokesman said: ‘Police appealing for the whereabouts of Gianni Sonvico have found a body.

‘Officers from the Met’s Marine Policing Unit (MPU) were called to reports of a body in water at Greenwich Pier.’

About 2,000 people have joined a Facebook group appealing for information following Mr Sonvico’s disappearance.

His sister, Maya Sonvico, 20, said: ‘He has always been the first person to protect me from anything that can hurt me or anyone who can hurt me.

‘What worries me is that I know if he could contact me he would. He wouldn’t put us through this.’

Master David Ormerod, of the Law Commission where Mr Sonvico worked as a researcher, said: ‘The evidence is currently pointing to there being no foul play, but possibly a tragic accident.’

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Teen given community order after assaulting police officer at hospital

Published

on

A TEENAGER from Neyland has been given a community order after admitting assaulting a police officer at Withybush Hospital.

Luke Davies, aged 18, of Springfield Avenue, Neyland, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Monday (Feb 16) for sentencing.

The court heard that on July 9, 2025, at Withybush General Hospital, Haverfordwest, Davies assaulted PC Elliot Jamie Williams while the officer was acting in the execution of his duty. The offence is contrary to section 89(1) of the Police Act 1996.

Davies had previously pleaded guilty to the charge on January 6, 2026.

Magistrates imposed a community order running until August 15, 2027. The order includes participation in drug rehabilitation and alcohol treatment programmes for six months, both to be carried out as directed by probation, along with regular court reviews.

He must also complete up to 20 days of rehabilitation activity requirements.

Davies was ordered to pay £200 compensation and £85 prosecution costs.

The case will return to Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court for review on March 16 at 10:00am.

 

Continue Reading

Business

MS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum

Published

on

PAUL DAVIES and Samuel Kurtz, Conservative Members of the Senedd have hosted a business advice surgery in response to mounting concerns about recent rateable value changes introduced by the Welsh Government.

The event followed an online forum on business rates, where local businesses raised serious worries about sharp increases in their rateable values and the impact this is having on already stretched budgets.

Over 140 entrepreneurs and business owners registered for the online forum held last month which also brought together industry representatives and the Valuation Office Agency.

Held in Narberth, on Tuesday 17th February, the surgery provided an opportunity for businesses to raise concerns directly with Paul Davies, Member of the Senedd for Preseli Pembrokeshire and Samuel Kurtz MS, Member of the Senedd for Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire. Both standing for the new Ceredigion Penfro seat in May’s Senedd election.

The session focused on the challenges businesses face regarding business rates, financial pressures, and navigating support schemes. Attendees were able to share their experiences, ask questions, and make their voices heard by speaking direct to those who can challenge decisions taken by Welsh Government.

“Small businesses are the backbone of our local economy,”said Samuel Kurtz, “After hosting the online forum on business rates, it was clear that many businesses wanted a chance to discuss their concerns in person. This surgery allowed us to listen, provide advice, and explore how we can support them effectively.”

Paul Davies MS commented, “Businesses across Pembrokeshire are deeply concerned about the Welsh Government’s changes to rateable values. Many feel the new assessments simply do not reflect the current trading conditions. We are determined to make sure their voices are heard loud and clear.”

Local business owners welcomed the initiative, praising it as a practical and accessible way to voice their concerns on managing business rates and other financial challenges.

The surgery is part of an ongoing commitment to support local businesses, amplify their concerns, and ensure businesses voices are heard in policy discussions.

Davies and Kurtz have committed to continuing to press the Welsh Government for a fairer approach to business rates and have already written to Labour’s Financial Cabinet Secretary, Mark Drakeford, sharing the experience and impact of local businesses facing rising rate bills.

Business owners wishing to share their experiences or seek advice are encouraged to contact their constituency offices.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Man sent to Crown Court over strangulation and assault allegations in Pembroke Dock

Published

on

A 46-YEAR-OLD man has been sent to the Crown Court to face multiple charges including intentional strangulation following an alleged incident in Pembroke Dock.

Fazlur Rahman, aged 46, of Lewis Street, Pembroke Dock, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Monday (Feb 16).

The court heard he faces three allegations arising from an incident on February 13, 2026, at an address in Hawkstone Road, Pembroke Dock.

The charges include intentional strangulation of a female, assault by beating, and racially or religiously aggravated harassment, alarm or distress, relating to words allegedly directed towards a police officer.

No pleas were entered at this stage.

Magistrates sent the case to Swansea Crown Court for trial under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.

Rahman was granted conditional bail. His bail conditions include not contacting the complainant directly or indirectly and not entering Hawkstone Road, Pembroke Dock. The court was told the conditions were imposed to prevent further offending, avoid interference with witnesses and ensure his attendance at court.

The next hearing, a plea and trial preparation hearing, is listed at Swansea Crown Court on March 20 at 9:00am.

 

Continue Reading

Crime3 hours ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business17 hours ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime1 day ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government1 day ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News2 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health3 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime3 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime4 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News4 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Education4 days ago

School in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns

Estyn orders urgent action plan and regular monitoring at Pembroke secondary A PEMBROKESHIRE secondary school has been placed into special...

Popular This Week