Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Guilty verdict follows Mothers’ Day stabbing

Published

on

scc

MOTHERS’ Day 2012 in Hakin was not what it should have been when one mother stabbed another in the back, said a judge.

Stevie Jo Parkes, 20, had denied a charge of unlawful wounding but was convicted unanimously by a jury at Swansea crown court following a three day trial.

She was immediately remanded in custody and warned to expect jail when she is sentenced on November 22.

Rebecca Louise Davies told the court she had been in a relationship with Tace Davies, Parkes’ step brother, and had a child by him.

Their relationship ended but he was allowed to call at her home in Hakin and to spend time with the child.

On March 18, 2012 – mothers’ day – he asked for the first time if he could take their son to his grandfather’s home in Haven Drive.

Miss Davies agreed but warned him not to take the baby “anywhere near” Parkes.

A few hours later Parkes called round and asked for fresh clothing for the child.

Miss Davies responded by walking to Parkes’ home at 18 John Lewis Street and demanding the return of her son.

Tace Davies appeared at the door of the flat, and alongside him was Parkes holding a bread knife.

Miss Davies turned her back and walked away to protect herself but then felt a sharp pain to her back.

Parkes, she said, had slashed her with the knife.

She was taken to Withybush hospital for treatment and Parkes was arrested.

Parkes told the jury that Miss Davies disliked her and had invented the complaint, possibly injuring herself just to get Parkes into trouble.

After the verdict Judge Huw Davies said: “Mothers’ Day in Hakin was different, not what it should have been.”

Both Parkes and Miss Davies had delivered babies within days of each other.

Judge Davies said he was anxious about what start in life they had when people lose their temper and picked up knives to settle their differences.

Judge Davies said he noted that Parkes had received a warning for assaulting a police officer in June, 2009, and also been convicted of disorderly behaviour in July, 2012 and in October 2012 for common assault.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Reform’s Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire chairman resigns months before Senedd elections

Published

on

Former General Election candidate steps down after just a few months in role as party faces upcoming electoral tests

THE CHAIRMAN of Reform UK’s Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire branch has resigned after only a few months in the role — just months before the crucial Senedd elections.

Stuart Marchant, who stood as the party’s candidate for Mid and South Pembrokeshire in the July 2024 General Election, confirmed he has stepped down from the position he has held since being elected chairman in October 2025.

Mr Marchant received almost 8,000 votes at the General Election, finishing third out of eight candidates. He later helped establish the Reform UK branch covering Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire in September 2024, initially serving as interim chairman before being formally elected.

In his resignation statement, he said he was no longer able to balance the demands of the role with his professional and personal commitments, adding that the position required someone able to devote full time and energy to it.

He said: “I have reached the conclusion that I am no longer able to balance the demands of the role — or the approach required to take the branch to the next stage — alongside my professional and personal commitments. The role deserves the full attention and energy of someone who can give it without compromise, and at this time I cannot do so.”

Mr Marchant said he remained proud of what had been achieved locally and thanked members for their support during his time in office. He added that he had confidence the branch would continue to grow under new leadership.

His resignation comes at a significant time for the party locally, with campaigning expected to intensify ahead of the Senedd elections later this year.

There is also an important local electoral test on the horizon, with a by-election due to take place in Hakin, Milford Haven, following the death of respected councillor Mike Stoddart. Reform UK is understood to be hoping to field a candidate, although no selection has yet been confirmed.

Reform UK has not yet announced who will replace Mr Marchant as chairman of the Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire branch.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Independent group threatens to oppose council tax plans over education cuts

Published

on

Councillors demand £2m savings removed amid safeguarding concerns in schools

THE INDEPENDENT GROUP on Pembrokeshire County Council has warned it will not support the Cabinet’s proposed council tax increases unless planned reductions to the education budget are reversed.

Cabinet has recommended a council tax rise of 4.6% for 2026/27, followed by 5% the following year and potential increases of up to 7.5% in future years. The Independent Group has criticised the proposals, describing them as a “ballot box” budget which they claim postpones difficult financial decisions for future administrations.

The group also said it had not been consulted during the budget process by Council Leader Jon Harvey, despite representing a significant number of councillors.

Safeguarding concerns raised

Cllr Huw Murphy

Councillor Huw Murphy said the group’s main concern relates to education funding, particularly following the recent placement of three Pembrokeshire schools into special measures.

He said: “The seriousness of the situation facing education in Pembrokeshire cannot be overstated. All councillors need to place school safeguarding above party politics.”

The Independent Group argues that reducing the education budget by more than £2 million would be inappropriate at a time when schools face financial pressures and scrutiny from inspectors.

The councillors have called for the proposed savings to be reinvested to help improve standards at Ysgol Harri Tudur, Milford Haven School and the Pembrokeshire Learning Centre in Neyland, as well as addressing wider infrastructure concerns including building maintenance issues at several schools across the county.

Budget pressures acknowledged

The group acknowledged efforts by the council’s finance leadership to achieve savings, noting projections that the authority could finish the financial year under budget.

However, Councillor Murphy questioned whether some efficiencies may have affected services, including education provision and safeguarding.

He also highlighted that councillors had previously reduced proposed education cuts during last year’s budget process following cross-party support.

Political tensions

The statement also criticised the position of councillors from other parties, questioning whether Labour and Plaid members would support reductions in education spending given the current challenges facing schools.

It further referenced previous proposals from Liberal Democrats councillors for higher council tax increases to protect school funding, suggesting the current position appeared inconsistent.

The Independent Group says it will only support the budget if education cuts are removed, placing what it describes as safeguarding, wellbeing and educational attainment as its priority.

The Herald has approached Pembrokeshire County Council for comment.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

Published

on

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s annual pancake races brought residents and visitors together for a day of family-friendly fun.

The much-loved tradition, held to mark Shrove Tuesday, saw competitors of all ages take to the streets armed with frying pans, attempting to race while flipping pancakes without dropping them. Spectators lined the route in good spirits, many wrapped up against the chilly weather, as children, families and local groups took part.

Among the highlights were enthusiastic young racers proudly showing off their pancake-flipping skills, with some managing impressive mid-air flips while others focused on simply reaching the finish line with their pancake still intact. The event created plenty of memorable moments for families watching and taking part.

RNLI volunteers also joined the celebrations, bringing colour and community spirit to the occasion in their distinctive yellow gear, alongside a mascot character who proved popular with children.

The races form part of Tenby’s traditional Shrove Tuesday celebrations, which continue to be an important date in the town’s community calendar. Organisers said the event is designed to bring people together, celebrate local traditions and create a fun experience for families during the school half-term period.

Younger participants also took to the course in dedicated children’s races, many concentrating hard as they carefully balanced their pancakes while moving along the route under the watchful eyes of parents and marshals.

With smiles all round and plenty of successful pancake flips, the event once again proved why Tenby’s pancake races remain a cherished annual tradition for the community.

Photos: Gareth Davies / Herald.

 

Continue Reading

Community9 hours ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime12 hours ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business1 day ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime1 day ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government2 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News2 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health3 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime4 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime4 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News4 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Popular This Week