Community
Community meeting planned to secure future of historic Boncath building
Residents invited to support bid to buy former WI meeting room for community use
A PUBLIC meeting has been called in Boncath as residents prepare plans for a community buy-out of a historic corrugated iron building that has served local people for generations.
Villagers will gather at Boncath Village Hall on Tuesday (Feb 24) at 7:00pm to discuss proposals to purchase Bwthyn Boncath — the former Women’s Institute meeting room — and transform it into a community heritage space for the village.

WI members support community purchase
Local WI members have already agreed to offer the community first refusal on the building, paving the way for a potential community-led purchase.
Supporters say the project would preserve an important piece of local heritage while creating a flexible space for events, exhibitions, and activities in the heart of the village.
PLANED helping lead initiative
The meeting will be led by Cris Tomos of PLANED, the community development charity that previously helped facilitate the community purchase of Tafarn Sinc in Rosebush in 2017.
Mr Tomos said the Boncath project could become another example of successful community ownership in North Pembrokeshire.
He said: “It would be great to have another corrugated building owned by the community in North Pembrokeshire — especially in 2026 as Tafarn Sinc celebrates its 150th anniversary.”
Organisers estimate that around £12,000 will be needed to secure the purchase, with further fundraising planned to support restoration and future use.

How to get involved
Anyone interested in supporting the project or learning more is encouraged to attend the public meeting.
Further information is available via the Bwthyn Boncath Facebook page or by contacting PLANED on 01834 860965.

Photo caption: Community members gather to support plans for the purchase of Bwthyn Boncath (Pics supplied).
Community
Community spirit shines as Wiseman’s Bridge Inn supports Saundersfoot Runners’ food bank event
Fourth annual run raises donations for Tenby charity
SAUNDERSFOOT Runners have once again demonstrated the strength of local community spirit after hosting their fourth annual Food Bank Run in aid of The James Criddle Foundation, a Tenby-based food bank.
The popular event attracted a strong turnout of runners and walkers of all abilities, with participants gathering at Wiseman’s Bridge on Sunday morning. Although early rain threatened to dampen proceedings, the weather cleared just in time for the 10:00am start, with even a hint of sunshine greeting those taking part.

Undeterred by puddles along the Heritage Trail towards Pleasant Valley, participants completed multiple laps of the route, collecting discs which were later exchanged for raffle tickets. Alongside generous food donations, the raffle helped further boost support for the Foundation’s work helping local families.
Organisers paid special tribute to Wiseman’s Bridge Inn for once again providing shelter before and after the event, ensuring donations stayed dry and offering much-appreciated refreshments to participants afterwards.
The James Criddle Foundation was established in 2022 in memory of James Criddle, who tragically died in a motorcycle accident while living in Bali. His mother, Rachael, one of the Foundation’s organisers, said the event continues to reflect his legacy.
“James would have been so proud of what has been achieved in his name,” she said. “We love working with Saundersfoot Runners on the annual Food Bank Run — they are one of our biggest supporters and their support means such a lot to local families, particularly at this difficult time of year.”
The Food Bank Run concept was originally created by Sarah Don through her running club in Fareham, Hampshire, as a way to collect donations for a local food bank. Following its success, the initiative grew into a national — and later international — movement in 2023, after a Facebook group encouraged clubs across the UK and beyond to organise similar events for their own communities.
Organisers say details of the 2027 Saundersfoot event will be announced on the Saundersfoot Runners Facebook page in due course.
Community
Suspicious cold-calling van reported across south Pembrokeshire
RESIDENTS across several south Pembrokeshire communities have reported encounters with a suspicious cold-calling van, prompting warnings for householders to remain vigilant.
Reports shared on local community groups describe a man arriving uninvited at homes in areas including Llanteg, Pembroke Dock, Penally, St Florence and Saundersfoot over recent days.
One resident in Llanteg said she saw the driver get out of the van and head towards the rear of her property before being challenged. She said he claimed he was looking for homes with large gardens to sell items from the van, before leaving quickly when questioned.
The incident has been reported to Dyfed-Powys Police. Other residents have since reported sightings of what is believed to be the same vehicle, including along Hopsill Lane in Saundersfoot.
Some householders alleged the driver offered discounted garden furniture or plants, sometimes claiming he was working locally for hotels or venues and needed to sell surplus stock before returning to England.
The vehicle is described as carrying branding for “Greengrove Garden Centre,” which appears to correspond to a company registered in Cranleigh, Surrey in 2024.
A website linked to the business advertises teak garden furniture and lists a mobile contact number, but contains limited information about any physical retail premises. The Herald has contacted the company for comment.
There is currently no suggestion that the registered company itself is involved in any criminal activity, and it is not known whether the vehicle seen locally is legitimately connected to the business.
At this stage there is also no confirmation that any criminal offences have taken place. However, police and trading standards authorities regularly advise residents to be cautious of unexpected doorstep sellers, particularly where individuals attempt to access private areas of a property or use persuasive sales tactics.
Residents are advised not to allow unknown callers into their homes or gardens, to verify businesses independently, and to report suspicious behaviour via 101, or 999 in an emergency. Quote police reference number DP-20260219-148.
Anyone with information, dashcam footage or vehicle registration details is urged to contact Dyfed-Powys Police quoting the reference number.
Photo caption: Residents shared images of the van on social media after reports of cold-calling across south Pembrokeshire (Pic: Facebook).
Community
Mistar Urdd turns 50 with new anthem and public mural
Welsh youth icon to be celebrated with music release, Aberystwyth artwork and St David’s Day events
ONE of Wales’ most recognisable youth icons is marking a major milestone this year as Urdd Gobaith Cymru launches celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of Mistar Urdd.
The red, white and green mascot — created in 1976 — has become synonymous with the Urdd and its mission to inspire children and young people through the medium of Welsh. To launch the anniversary year, the organisation has unveiled a series of projects including a newly recorded version of the anthem Hei Mistar Urdd!, a large public mural in Aberystwyth, and a community celebration linked to St David’s Day.

The new recording, released on Thursday (Feb 20), features singer-songwriter Aleighcia Scott alongside Dom James and Lloyd, with backing vocals by Mared Williams. The track has been newly arranged by Morgan Elwy and recorded at the iconic Sain studios in Llandwrog — the same studio where the original version was produced almost half a century ago.
Siân Lewis, Chief Executive of Urdd Gobaith Cymru, said the anniversary was a moment of pride for the organisation and for Wales.
“Mistar Urdd has remained close to the hearts of the people of Wales for 50 years, and that is something to be proud of,” she said. “The character has evolved into a symbol of hope and represents the friendship, fun and pride that we share with children and young people across the country.

“Over the decades, Mistar Urdd has travelled to space, helped the Urdd break a Guinness World Record, greeted presidents and prime ministers, and even lent his name to a brand-new train. He also plays a key role in opening doors to the Welsh language and showing that the Urdd belongs to everyone.”
Aleighcia Scott said she was honoured to be part of the new recording.
“It’s an absolute privilege to be part of the new version of Hei Mistar Urdd! — what an icon, what an anthem,” she said. “As a Welsh learner, I love the work the Urdd does to inspire children and young people across Wales, and it’s been a joy to celebrate that spirit through this song.”
Kev Tame, Chief Executive of Sain, said the collaboration continued a long-standing partnership between the label and the Urdd.
“The anthem was originally released on Sain in 1977, and we are very proud to release this new version almost 50 years later,” he said.
The anniversary programme also includes a major public mural in Aberystwyth, due to be unveiled on Wednesday (Feb 25). The artwork has been designed by internationally recognised Welsh artist Pete Fowler — known for his work with the Super Furry Animals — with support from Cardiff-based creative studio UNIFY.
Pete Fowler said: “Mistar Urdd brings a smile to everyone’s face, and it was a pleasure to reimagine him for this milestone. I wanted to create something colourful and joyful that feels contemporary while respecting the character’s history.”
The Aberystwyth celebrations will also include school visits by Aleighcia Scott and a live performance of the new anthem at the mural site, with Mistar Urdd making a special appearance. The event has received support from the Welsh Government’s St David’s Day Fund.
First Minister Eluned Morgan said: “Mistar Urdd has been a part of so many childhoods in Wales and it is heartwarming to see him inspiring the next generation. This project shows how creativity, education and community can come together to celebrate who we are as a nation.”
Mistar Urdd was originally created by Wynne Melville Jones shortly after he became the Urdd’s publicity officer. By adding arms, legs and a face to the organisation’s triangular logo, he brought to life a character that would grow into a national symbol of Welsh youth and inclusivity.
Reflecting on the anniversary, Wyn Mel said: “Fifty years later, Mistar Urdd is still a firm favourite among the country’s children and young people. I can say hand on heart that all the hard work has paid off.”
Further anniversary activities are expected to be announced throughout the year.
-
Health2 days agoWithybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision
-
Health1 day agoHealth board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales
-
Health1 day agoHealth board: Changes will bring “resilience and sustainability” to West Wales services
-
Business4 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Community5 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Community6 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Health4 hours agoConcerns grow over Bronglais stroke plans as politicians demand clarity
-
Business4 days agoSvitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute









