News
Young girl rescued from rip current by RNLI lifeguard at Newgale Beach
AN RNLI lifeguard was called into action moments after starting his duty after a young girl got caught in a rip current.
Finn Isles had only just finished setting up with his fellow lifeguards at the north end of Newgale beach on Saturday morning (Jul 30) when they spotted the girl, who was about 12 years old, seemingly resting on her surfboard.
Finn, who is doing his first season as a lifeguard with the RNLI charity, went to check on her condition shortly after 10am and despite her not being a long way from shore it became clear she was out of her depth and struggling to paddle against the outward flowing rip current.
He immediately paddled out to her on a surf rescue board to ask whether she needed assistance. The girl said she was making no headway so Finn took her onto the rescue board and brought her back to the safety of the beach.
Scott Candler, RNLI Lifeguard Supervisor, said: “This incident was an reminder of the importance of going in the sea when our lifeguards are on duty between 10am and 6pm. This girl got into difficulty minutes after the lifeguards began their day. The beach was quiet at the time and if it was half-an-hour earlier there may not have been anyone there to help her.
“Rips are strong currents of water running out to sea that can quickly drag you out beyond your depth. Our advice to anyone who get caught in one is don’t panic, don’t try to swim against it or you’ll get exhausted. If you can stand, wade, don’t swim. If you can, swim parallel to the shore until free of the rip and then head for shore, raise your hand and shout for help and if you have something which will help you float like a board, keep hold of it.”
RNLI lifeguards are on duty on Poppit Sands, Newport Beach, Whitesands, Newgale, Nolton Haven, Broad Haven, Freshwater West, Tenby North Beach, Tenby Castle Beach, Tenby South Beach, Saundersfoot Beach and Amroth Beach every day throughout the summer between 10am and 6pm.
Crime
Haverfordwest garden tools stolen in Haven Road burglaries
POLICE are appealing for witnesses after garden tools were stolen from outbuildings in Haverfordwest.
Dyfed-Powys Police said officers are investigating two burglaries at separate addresses in the Haven Road area, following reports made over the last week.
The first burglary is believed to have happened on Monday, May 4, when gardening tools worth around £40 and an electric renovator valued at about £70 were taken.
A second burglary is believed to have taken place sometime between Friday, May 8 and Sunday, May 10. A Bosch hedge trimmer worth around £190 was stolen.
Anyone who saw anything suspicious in Haven Road, or who has CCTV or Ring doorbell footage which may assist the investigation, is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police.
Police can be contacted online, by emailing [email protected], by direct message on social media, or by calling 101.
Quote reference: DP-20260510-142.
Finance
Consumer credit rules to be modernised after 50 years
Consumers using credit cards, loans and overdrafts are set to receive clearer information about costs and key terms under major reforms to the Consumer Credit Act
THE UK GOVERNMENT has announced plans to modernise legislation first passed in 1974, saying the rules no longer reflect the way people use credit in the age of smartphones, online banking and digital finance.
The reforms will move many of the Act’s detailed requirements out of primary legislation and into the Financial Conduct Authority’s rulebook, allowing rules to be updated more quickly as technology and financial products change.
Ministers say the changes will mean people taking out credit cards, personal loans, overdrafts and other borrowing products receive clearer, better-timed information to help them understand costs, compare options and manage repayments.
The Treasury said robust consumer protections would remain in place, with the FCA retaining powers to fine firms that break the rules.
Economic Secretary to the Treasury and City Minister, Rachel Blake said: “People need to be able to make informed choices when applying for and using credit.
“The Consumer Credit Act was written for a different era – we are creating a flexible regime fit for the digital age.”
The reforms form part of the Financial Services Bill announced in the King’s Speech.
Debt charity StepChange welcomed the move, saying clearer information is vital for people struggling with repayments.
Peter Tutton, the charity’s director of policy, research and public affairs, said: “Our thirty years of experience providing free debt advice has shown us just how important clear and usable information about credit agreements is for consumers.
“What’s more, for those struggling with managing credit repayments, it is vital that consumers can make informed choices about products and know how to seek help when it is required.”
Chris Woolard CBE, who chaired The Woolard Review into the unsecured credit market, said modernising the Act was a key recommendation of his review and described the reforms as “welcome”.
UK Finance also backed the announcement, saying lenders needed a simpler and more flexible regime while maintaining strong consumer protection.
The Government has published a policy statement setting out its final approach to Consumer Credit Act reform, alongside its response to the first phase of consultation.
Health
Welsh charity calls for live-saving prostate cancer screening
PROSTATE CYMRU is calling for routine prostate cancer testing as the UK Government prepares to make a final decision on whether to introduce a national screening programme.
The Welsh charity says too many men are still being diagnosed late, despite prostate cancer affecting one in eight men, one in four Black men, and one in three men with a family history of the disease.
Last year, the National Screening Committee opened a public consultation after issuing a draft recommendation against screening all men. It also did not support a targeted screening programme for Black men or those with a family history, despite their higher risk.
A final decision is expected this month.
‘Early diagnosis is key’
Andy Thomas, chair of Prostate Cymru and a recently retired consultant urological surgeon, said early diagnosis remained crucial.
He said: “Early diagnosis is key. In Wales, the impact of prostate cancer is significant, affecting one in eight men, and one in three with a family history. Often, it doesn’t present with any symptoms, so it is essential that men get tested.
“Currently, you only get tested if you request it, or if you have a proactive GP that recommends it. But we constantly hear of men who have difficulties in getting a GP appointment, and in some cases even being refused a test.
“And what about the men who don’t think to ask for a test? We need a screening programme.”
Because of concerns about access through GP surgeries, Prostate Cymru has been running its own PSA testing events with support from commercial sponsors.
In 2025, 200 men who attended the charity’s events received a “red alert”, advising them to seek urgent medical advice. That represented almost 6% of all those tested.
Mr Thomas added: “We do what we can. But we are a charity and we simply cannot test everyone.
“The government needs to be more proactive in raising awareness among those most at risk and it needs to educate and advise GPs so that men aren’t refused tests or feel dissuaded.”
‘This can’t come down to luck’
Among those now calling for change is Cardiff man Kervin Julien, a Black Caribbean man who was told two days before Christmas that he had prostate cancer.
Kervin, a Radio Cardiff presenter and Justice for Cardiff Five campaigner, has since undergone surgery and is using his experience to raise awareness, particularly among Black men.
He said: “The government is lingering on a decision that could save lives. With one in eight men getting prostate cancer, we need screening. And with one in four Black men getting it, we definitely need screening.
“Many men make excuses for certain symptoms that they might be going through, and we don’t talk about these things. And lots of men don’t even have any symptoms but still have prostate cancer.
“A screening programme would mean it wouldn’t rely on men being proactive and having to ask for a test.”
Kervin said he now wanted to campaign for screening and create greater awareness among younger Black men.
He added: “What if I hadn’t gone to the doctor? What if I hadn’t had a PSA test?”
‘Without the test, I would not have known’
James Roberts, 59, from Abergele, was diagnosed with stage three prostate cancer after attending a Prostate Cymru PSA testing event in Colwyn Bay last summer.
He said he had previously approached his GP practice about a PSA test but felt dissuaded from having one.
James said: “I am stage three, so that means the cancer has spread outside the prostate but it hasn’t gone into my bones or the lymph nodes. It’s what they call advanced. Had they caught it earlier, I could have had surgery to remove it.
“Women routinely have smears and mammograms, so why are we getting left behind?
“Policy makers are arguing that it isn’t reliable, but this blood test takes five minutes and it’s a marker. It indicates whether you need further tests.
“Without Prostate Cymru and the PSA test, I wouldn’t have known anything about this and it would have ended up being stage four.”
‘It was just luck’
Swansea man Dean Hopkins, also 59, was first tested by his GP in 2017 and was advised to return in three years.
But when the Covid pandemic hit, Dean struggled to get an appointment and, with no obvious symptoms, let it slide.
He later spotted an advert for a Prostate Cymru testing event while watching football in Swansea. After attending, he received a red alert and was later diagnosed with stage three prostate cancer.
Dean has undergone radiotherapy and is now receiving hormone therapy and steroid medication. He will continue to be monitored for the rest of his life.
He said: “We need a national screening programme because it was just luck that I saw an advert for the Prostate Cymru event.
“This can’t just come down to luck or whether you have a GP that takes it seriously. We all need to be screened.
“If I’d been tested in 2020, this would have been caught earlier. I feel I missed out on six or seven years, in which time my cancer was growing.”
Prostate Cymru is continuing to run testing events this summer while urging men, particularly those at higher risk, to speak to their GP about a PSA test.
-
News3 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Crime5 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Community2 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime5 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime5 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime5 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Local Government7 days agoCouncil leadership hopeful responds after anti-Tory rally photos surface
-
Crime5 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town







