News
Pembrokeshire patients return to Withybush following boundaries change
THE NUMBER of medical beds at Withybush Hospital will return to usual in September as hospital county boundaries are reinstated by Hywel Dda University Board (UHB).
From Thursday, September 1, the county boundary for Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest, will return to that in place prior to August 2015 when temporary changes began.
This will mean that patients from Tenby, Saundersfoot, Kilgetty and Narberth, requiring emergency or urgent medical care, will be admitted to Withybush Hospital through GP referrals or ambulance admissions, rather than Glanwgili Hospital, Carmarthen.
The temporary change had been necessary to align the medical capacity at the hospital with the number of medical staff available after the Wales Deanery were unable to recruit core medical trainees to the Haverfordwest hospital as usual in August 2015.
Chief Executive Steve Moore explained: “We are pleased to be able to reinstate the boundaries as we have managed to stabilise medical staffing, with recruitment of a number of locums. We are grateful to both our staff and our patients for their support during this period, although I recognise and regret that it did take us longer than expected to get to this more stable position.”
Withybush Hospital will now return to having 95 medical beds, 17 adult clinical decision beds for general medicine and a total of 76 surgical beds. There will be capacity to open a maximum of nine additional ‘surge’ beds. As was the case prior to August 2015, there may be the requirement to divert Pembrokeshire patients to other hospitals during periods of high demand.
Chair of Hywel Dda Community Health Council John Philips said: “We’re pleased to hear that the boundaries will revert to their normal status. Our initial concerns were that the patient experience would be poorer through these changes and so we visited both Withybush and Glangwili hospitals a number of times to talk to patients and see for ourselves what the impact was. Thankfully people remained positive about their hospital experiences, which was reassuring but we urged the health board to do all it could to return normal service to provide care as close to home as possible. Whilst it has taken longer than we wanted, today’s news is positive. Looking ahead however, it is crucial that the health board ensures that staffing; the foundation of good health care, is sustainable.”
Clinical Director for Withybush Hospital Dr Iain Robertson-Steel said: “We are putting worldwide efforts into recruiting medical and nursing staff for Withybush Hospital and indeed across the health board, so that we can maintain safe care across our services. It remains a challenge for us, and indeed the NHS across the UK.”
The UHB is liaising with GP colleagues and those in the Welsh Ambulance Service Trust so that everyone involved in the patient pathway is clear on the referrals and reinstatement of the county boundaries.”
Options to further increase bed capacity at Withybush Hospital are currently being considered and the situation is being kept under close review.
Patients on the Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire boundary are being reminded that they do not need to take any different action to accessing care than what they have been doing. Throughout this period, patients have still been able to walk into any Emergency Department as they usually do, with only GP referrals and ambulance admissions affected.
Crime
Police appeal after man injured in St Davids incident
DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses following an incident in St Davids which left one man injured.
The incident happened in Nun Street at around 11:10am on Tuesday, December 30. The injured man was taken to hospital for treatment.
Officers confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident.
Police are now asking anyone with information, dash cam footage, or CCTV that could assist the investigation to come forward.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online at:
https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us-beta/contact-us/
Alternatively, email [email protected], send a direct message via social media, or call 101 quoting reference DP20251230094.
Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.
Crime
Sexual assault allegation to be tried
Accused granted conditional bail
A SEXUAL assault allegation has been listed for trial following a hearing before magistrates.
David Fletcher, 45, of Chestnut Way, Mount Estate, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Feb 12) charged with sexual assault, contrary to section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
The charge alleges that on March 16, 2025, at Johnston, Pembrokeshire, he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over and that the touching was sexual when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe that she was consenting.
The matter was adjourned for trial and Fletcher was remanded on conditional bail.
The trial is listed for March 9, 2026 at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court. Bail conditions prohibit him from entering a specified premises in Johnston, from contacting directly or indirectly the complainant or any prosecution witnesses, and from posting any information relating to the investigation on social media. The conditions were imposed to prevent further offending and to prevent interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.
Crime
Drink drive allegation denied
Trial date fixed by magistrates
A MOTORIST has denied a drink-driving allegation when the case came before magistrates.
Michael Miles, 39, of Milford Road, Johnston, Haverfordwest, appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court charged with driving a motor vehicle when the alcohol level was above the prescribed limit.
The court heard that on January 24, 2026, it is alleged that Miles drove a Ford Transit on the A477 at Jordanston after consuming so much alcohol, that the proportion in his breath was 52 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, exceeding the legal limit of 35.
Miles entered a not guilty plea on February 10, 2026.
The matter was adjourned for trial on May 21 at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court. He was remanded on unconditional bail.
-
Business1 day agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime5 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community2 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Education5 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community4 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Health6 days agoWelsh pharmacies forced to sell medicines at a loss as funding model buckles
-
News7 days agoProtest at Senedd as climate groups clash on how Wales should go green
-
Farming5 days agoHousing restriction at Hayscastle farm site removed





