News
Major events strategy
AFTER surviving a vote of no confidence arising from his misuse of Council IT, on Monday disgraced IPPG Chair and Council Deputy Leader Rob Lewis presented a major paper to his Cabinet colleagues regarding the County Council’s approach to encouraging, planning and staging major events in Pembrokeshire.
Cllr Rob Lewis said: “We have been fortunate to secure a five year agreement with Ironman which is also supported by the Welsh Government. “The Welsh Government requires us to have an event strategy and it is crucial that our strategy supports theirs. “Many of these events were well supported on a local basis and it is important that we take high class opportunities to publicise our county to a wider audience. “In the past Pembrokeshire wasn’t recognised as a location for major events. It is now and there discussions ongoing about future events.” Cllr David Pugh added that hotels were booked up with athletes doing training for future events such as Ironman Wales. Pembrokeshire County Council are also Core partners on the Destination Pembrokeshire Partnership. This partnership has been established to deliver strategic improvements in tourism. The Core Group of the partnership is drawn from the key organisations involved in tourism in Pembrokeshire, namely Pembrokeshire County Council, Pembrokeshire Tourism, Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority, PLANED and the South West Wales Tourism Partnership. The Partnership has developed a comprehensive Destination Management Plan to drive incremental development and growth, particularly outside the peak summer months. The Plan’s objective is to “Develop and support a sustainable events programme” Events, if of significant size, format and stature, are considered as playing an important role in stimulating year round tourism. The Destination Management Plan identifies a number of examples of how this can be achieved, including: • Supporting applications for major events funding for strategically important events held in Pembrokeshire; • Focussing on events relevant to local product strengths e.g. food, environment, outdoor activities, heritage and culture; • Identify a point of contact for event organisers to consult local authorities and conservation organisations to identify the best location and dates; • Develop Pembrokeshire as a destination for high-end sports events. While the strategy focuses on major events, IPPG leader Jamie Adams stressed the importance to support smaller community events and said that the policy should not overburden them. Agreeing with his leader, Cllr Elwyn Morse expressed the hope that the new strategy would support Sport Pembrokeshire when they organise community based events.
Crime
Repeat drug-driver banned for three years after Pembroke stop
Motorist was over legal limits for both cannabis and cocaine metabolite, court hears
A 35-YEAR-OLD Pembrokeshire motorist has been disqualified from driving after being caught behind the wheel while over the legal drug-drive limit.
Police received information on November 11 that David Webb had been driving a Kia Sorento along Buttermilk Lane, Pembroke, after taking drugs.
When stopped by officers, Webb admitted he had smoked cannabis the previous night. A roadside drug swipe tested positive, and subsequent blood analysis at the police station revealed 101 micrograms of benzoylecgonine — a cocaine metabolite — per litre of blood, along with 2.3 micrograms of Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). The legal limits are 50 and 2 micrograms respectively.
Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court heard this was Webb’s second drug-driving conviction, following a previous offence in October 2023.
Webb, of Strongbow Walk, Pembroke, was sentenced to a 12-month Community Order requiring him to complete 15 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days and 100 hours of unpaid work.
He was disqualified from driving for three years and ordered to pay a £114 surcharge and £85 costs.
Crime
Driver banned after refusing breath test despite admitting drinking
Motorist also damaged police cell blanket after arrest, court hears
A PEMBROKESHIRE motorist has been banned from the roads after repeatedly refusing to provide a breath sample despite admitting he had been drinking alcohol.
Police were called to Glenview Avenue, Pembroke Dock, on the evening of January 3 following a report from a member of the public who was concerned about a man sitting in a car who appeared to be under the influence.
Prosecutor Linda Baker told Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court that officers found the man, later identified as Sean Cook, appearing intoxicated while sitting in the vehicle.
“He appeared to be intoxicated and said he was listening to the radio,” she said.
Cook told officers he was not fit to drive because he had consumed alcohol. He was asked on three separate occasions to provide a breath test but refused each time.
The court heard he was obstructive throughout the encounter and refused to answer questions about his alcohol consumption.
Following his arrest, Cook was taken to Haverfordwest Police Station where he damaged a custody cell blanket by pulling out its stitching.
Cook, aged 58, of Glenview House, Glenview Avenue, Pembroke Dock, pleaded guilty to failing to provide a specimen for analysis and causing criminal damage.
He was disqualified from driving for 18 months and sentenced to a 12-month Community Order, which includes 10 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days and a 120-day Alcohol Abstinence Monitoring Requirement.
He was also ordered to pay £100 compensation for the damaged blanket, a £114 surcharge and £85 costs.
Crime
Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network
Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption
A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than £33,000 worth of damage to a telecommunications network after cutting through fibre optic cables in the early hours of the morning.
Mickey Probert, aged 37, was seen lifting a drain cover in Wavell Crescent at around 3.50am on January 23, 2024, before entering an underground chamber and cutting through fibre infrastructure belonging to OGI.
Prosecutor Linda Baker told Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court that Probert had accessed a telecom footway chamber and cut through micro ducting and fibre cables.
Suspicions were raised when a nearby resident was woken by loud clanging noises and saw a man acting suspiciously near green utility boxes.
“The witness saw a male bend down in front of the boxes, lift the covers and shine a headtorch towards the ground,” she said.
Following a description provided by the witness, police arrested Probert. A search of his property uncovered wire cutters, a headtorch and a woolly hat.
The total cost of the damage to the OGI network was calculated at £33,767.98.
Defence solicitor Tom Lloyd said his client was unable to explain his actions but was extremely remorseful.
“He has a lot of things going on that haven’t properly been explored,” he told the court.
Probert, currently of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to criminal damage.
Given the seriousness of the offence, District Judge Mark Layton declined jurisdiction, meaning sentencing must take place at a higher court.
Probert will now be sentenced at Swansea Crown Court on March 10. The court requested an all-options probation report ahead of the hearing.
(Cover image: File photo)
-
Health6 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Business12 hours agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime4 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community2 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime7 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Education4 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Climate7 days agoPlans for £40m Newgale coastal road upgrade put on hold
-
Community3 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature






