News
Dock drug dealer ‘thinks he could charm his way out of any situation’ – Judge
ZAMURD HUSSAIN, a Pembroke Dock drug dealer who profited £15,000 from the sale of cannabis, has been ordered to repay a mere £1.
In January, Hussain, 40, was convicted at Swansea Crown Court for possessing cannabis with intent to supply and for involvement in the distribution of cannabis. Officers had intercepted a vehicle travelling through Monkton with Hussain as a passenger. On interaction, officers detected a strong scent of cannabis. Hussain swiftly discarded a black bag from the vehicle, later found to be filled with a significant quantity of cannabis.
Furthermore, Hussain faced conviction for possessing £1,500 in what was deemed as criminal earnings. Originally from Ramsden Court in Monkton, he received a 21-month suspended sentence, which was deferred for 18 months, on February 13.
The Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA) instigated proceedings to recover the funds Hussain accumulated from his illicit drug sales. Although there was consensus on Hussain’s £15,000 profit, there was contention regarding the ownership of the £1,500 seized — whether it belonged to him or his sister. Prosecutor Alycia Carpanini clarified to the court that the said amount was indeed Hussain’s sister’s property. Thus, the total sum eligible for confiscation from Hussain was set at a symbolic £1.
Additionally, Hussain faced allegations of missing mandatory appointments linked to his suspended sentence, specifically on March 28 and April 4. He refuted these claims. Defence counsel Hannah George presented Hussain’s stance: he claimed not to have received prior notice for the initial appointment due to a recent change of address and had an understanding with his probation officer to substitute the subsequent appointment with extra work hours. This claim was disputed by his probation officer during her testimony.
Complicating matters, Hussain later produced a retrospective sick note for the absences. Weighing the conflicting narratives, Judge Paul Thomas remarked it was a matter of credibility.
Judge Thomas expressed his scepticism, stating, “I don’t find Mr Hussain credible in the slightest. He’s consistently tried to circumvent the system he’s been subjected to. Despite the leeway granted, he’s manipulated it to his advantage. Evidently, he perceives himself as someone who can charm his way out of any situation. I remain unconvinced by his words.”
Consequently, Judge Thomas reinstated and executed Hussain’s previously suspended sentence, incarcerating him for 15 months.
Local Government
Independent Group reshuffle as council tax budget battle looms
Leadership change confirmed weeks before key vote amid warning over school cuts
PEMBROKESHIRE County Council’s Independent Group has confirmed a change in its leadership arrangements following a meeting held on Tuesday (Feb 18), with the changes taking effect from March 23, 2026.

Cllr Anji Tinley will become Group Leader, while Cllr Elwyn Morse will serve as Deputy Group Leader and take on the role of Chair of the Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee. Cllr Michael John will remain Chair of the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee, and Cllr Huw Murphy will become Chair of the Social Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee.
The changes reflect the forthcoming appointment of Cllr Delme Harries as Chair of Council at the Annual Meeting on May 15. Under council rules, the Chair of Council cannot simultaneously hold a scrutiny chair role.
The Independent Group also confirmed it will not support the Cabinet’s proposed budget, which includes a 4.6% council tax rise for 2026/27 and a 2% reduction — approximately £2 million — in individual school budgets.
Group members said they hoped councillors across the chamber could work together to agree a budget that avoids cuts to education, particularly in light of recent Estyn inspections that have placed three schools into special measures with safeguarding concerns identified.
However, the Group warned that if a budget is approved that imposes what it described as substantial school funding reductions, it will consider invoking constitutional powers to bring forward a motion to rescind the decision.
Crime
Man who threw corrosive liquid at guest and fled abroad jailed
A BUSINESSMAN who threw a corrosive liquid into a guest’s face during a row at a spiritual retreat before fleeing the country has been jailed for 18 months.
Dean Mayze, aged 38, from Abercrave in Powys, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm following the attack at his Hafan-y-Coed retreat in December 2022.
Swansea Crown Court heard the assault happened after an argument with guest Keifer Price, who had complained about the condition of his accommodation, including a lack of heating and washing facilities.
During the confrontation, Mayze produced a blue container and threw its contents upwards into the victim’s face.
The liquid — described as smelling like ammonia — entered Mr Price’s eyes, nose and mouth, leaving him in severe pain and struggling to breathe.
Medical evidence confirmed injuries consistent with a chemical burn to both eyes. He suffered abrasions, a corneal defect and the loss of the outer corneal layer in one eye, requiring significant treatment to prevent permanent sight loss. He has since recovered without lasting injury.
Fled across Europe
Following the attack, Mayze fled the UK, triggering an international search.
The court heard he travelled across several European countries, including Ireland, France, Italy, Croatia and Greece, before eventually being arrested in Romania in 2025.
Despite being on the run, he remained in regular contact with police by text and email, at one point telling officers he would not be returning to Wales.
His partner initially claimed responsibility for the assault and later received a suspended prison sentence after admitting perverting the course of justice.
Previous conviction
The court was told Mayze has a previous conviction for wounding involving a corrosive substance in Kent in 2013.
Defence barrister Andrew Taylor said his client had experienced harsh conditions while detained in Romania, including contracting scabies without treatment, and described him as remorseful.
However, Judge Geraint Walters said it was “pure luck” the victim had not suffered permanent injuries, describing the attack as a “particularly wicked way of inflicting violence”.
Sentence and order
Mayze, who appeared via video link from prison, had previously denied a more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
He was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment and made subject to a three-year restraining order.
Crime
Police appeal after man injured in St Davids incident
DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses following an incident in St Davids which left one man injured.
The incident happened in Nun Street at around 11:10am on Tuesday, December 30. The injured man was taken to hospital for treatment.
Officers confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident.
Police are now asking anyone with information, dash cam footage, or CCTV that could assist the investigation to come forward.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online at:
https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us-beta/contact-us/
Alternatively, email [email protected], send a direct message via social media, or call 101 quoting reference DP20251230094.
Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.
-
Business2 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime6 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community3 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Education6 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community5 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Crime7 days agoPendine man jailed for abducting and drugging teenage girl
-
News6 days agoClimber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall
-
Health7 days agoWelsh pharmacies forced to sell medicines at a loss as funding model buckles






