News
Ireland considered legal action over serious nuclear incident in Wales
Archive papers show the “deep concerns” over Wylfa nuclear safety scare
IRELAND considered taking legal action against the former Wylfa nuclear power station on Anglesey following a serious safety incident in the early 1990s, newly released government archive documents have revealed.
The move was explored after an incident at Wylfa’s Reactor 1 in July 1993, when a badly welded crane grab weighing around 130lb broke off and fell approximately 25 feet into the reactor core during routine refuelling.

The crane component became lodged in a refuelling channel above the highly radioactive core. Despite the potential risk, plant operators did not immediately shut down the reactor, instead attempting to locate the missing equipment. The reactor was not shut down until 4:45am the following morning—almost nine hours later.
At a subsequent hearing at Mold Crown Court, the plant’s operator, Nuclear Electric, was fined £250,000 for what was described as a “blatant violation” of safety rules.
The then Chief Inspector of Nuclear Installations told the court the incident was potentially the most serious he had encountered during his career. The Health and Safety Executive warned that a meltdown could have occurred had there been one further failure, with the reactor core at risk of catching fire and releasing radioactive material.
Anti-nuclear campaigners at the time warned that a serious accident at Wylfa could have required the evacuation of a large population within a short period.
Initially, Nuclear Electric classified the incident as an operational “anomaly” and rated it zero on the international nuclear event scale, indicating no safety significance. A month later, the classification was revised to level two, acknowledging internal plant failure but no significant environmental impact.
Documents released as part of Ireland’s annual National Archives publication show that the Irish Government examined the possibility of legal action following the incident. Briefing papers were reviewed by Ireland’s Departments of Justice and Energy, as well as the offices of the Attorney General and Taoiseach.
A briefing note dated November 29, 1995, stated that any legal case would have needed to be based on scientific evidence demonstrating the “injurious effects of operations” at UK nuclear plants.
Ireland’s then Taoiseach, John Bruton, raised concerns directly with British Prime Minister John Major, citing Wylfa and other incidents at Magnox plants in England. He warned that the frequency of incidents over a short period was a cause of “ongoing deep concern” for both the Irish Government and the Irish public.
Concerns were also raised about other UK nuclear sites, including Sellafield in Cumbria and the Dungeness power station in Kent.
In correspondence released with the archive papers, Mr Major acknowledged that people in Ireland may have been alarmed by reports of the incidents, which he described as “sensational.” He sought to reassure the Irish Government that nuclear safety was the “highest” priority for the UK, underlining the word in his letter.
Mr Major said that while isolated safety incidents had occurred, the UK nuclear industry had an “excellent safety record” overall and that there would be no weakening of regulatory standards.
He added that the Health and Safety Executive was satisfied that no-one had been exposed to actual danger as a result of the Wylfa incident.
In response, Mr Bruton requested that experts from Ireland’s Radiological Protection Institute be allowed to attend safety inspections at some UK nuclear installations. He said that while individual incidents might be of limited radiological significance, their cumulative nature raised serious concerns about the risk of a major accident with potential cross-border consequences.
Wylfa’s Reactor 1 was eventually shut down in December 2015, bringing to an end 44 years of nuclear operations at the site.
Reactor shutdown: Wylfa’s Reactor 1 was finally switched off in December 2015, ending more than four decades of nuclear operations
Community
Town council grant helps secure community arts activity in Milford Haven
MILFORD HAVEN’S Torch Theatre has been awarded a £7,500 grant by Milford Haven Town Council, continuing a long tradition of support for community arts at the iconic venue.
Established in 1977 with significant backing from the Town Council, the Torch Theatre remains one of only three building-based professional producing theatres in Wales. It is widely recognised for its in-house productions as well as its extensive youth and community programmes.
The theatre, which operates as a charity, receives public funding through the Arts Council of Wales and Pembrokeshire County Council, alongside support from local businesses and organisations including Milford Haven Port Authority. Leaders at the venue say funding remains essential to maintaining its broad programme of events and activities for the community.
Chelsey Gillard, Interim CEO and Artistic Director at the Torch Theatre, said: “Being awarded grants such as this one from the Town Council helps us to deliver quality arts to the people of Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire and further afield.
“We are very grateful for this continued support and appreciate the work of the Town Council to ensure important provision is supported across Milford.”
The Torch hosts more than 2,000 events and activities each year, attracting over 100,000 visitors. Its community facilities include The Junction, home to the Torch Youth Theatre and a rehearsal space for professional productions. The main auditorium seats 300 people, while the Studio Theatre accommodates 102. The Joanna Field Gallery showcases local exhibitions, and Café Torch serves meals throughout the year.
Ms Gillard added: “We do so much more than what audiences see on stage. Just to name a few of our regular activities, we run a very popular Youth Theatre for ages seven to eighteen, facilitate relaxed environment screenings and shows, host a Welsh learners’ group, Coffi Cymraeg, and hold regular clothes swaps.
“The Torch is also home to Welsh National Opera’s critically acclaimed Cradle Choir for people living with dementia and lots of high-quality classes for adults with disabilities run by Arts Care. All this activity relies on our team of brilliant volunteers and support from grants, trusts and donations.
“This grant will go towards ensuring these activities can continue — thank you.”
Health
Health board: Changes will bring “resilience and sustainability” to West Wales services
Executive Director says emergency surgery transfer is about quality — not loss
THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR of Strategy and Planning at Hywel Dda University Health Board has defended the decision to transfer certain emergency surgery operations from Withybush Hospital, saying the changes are designed to strengthen services rather than remove them.

Lee Davies told The Herald the “single biggest change” people in west Wales will notice is increased resilience across hospital services.
“The most significant change will be increased resilience and sustainability across services in West Wales,” he said.
“We are strengthening the way services are delivered so that they are less vulnerable to staffing pressures and more consistently available.”
Why now?
Mr Davies said the decision was driven by concerns that some services had become overly dependent on small numbers of clinicians.
“Wales covers a large geographical area, and currently many services are delivered across multiple sites,” he said.
“That has meant that clinical teams are often spread thinly, with some services heavily dependent on a small number of individuals.
“As a result, those services can become vulnerable if staffing circumstances change.”
He added that in certain areas, performance was not matching standards seen in larger UK centres.
“These changes are necessary to strengthen our services, improve sustainability, and ensure we consistently meet high standards of care.”
Emergency surgery at Withybush
Mr Davies confirmed that patients requiring certain general surgery operations will now be transferred to Glangwili Hospital.
However, he rejected suggestions that this amounted to the removal of all emergency surgical care from Pembrokeshire.
“This does not mean that all emergency surgery activity will cease at Withybush Hospital,” he said.
“A small number of patients who require operative procedures will be transferred to Glangwili. Where appropriate, patients will be transferred back to Withybush at the earliest opportunity.”
He acknowledged that some residents may perceive the change as a loss.
“We recognise that some people may see this as a loss,” he said.
“Rather than reacting to staffing pressures in an unplanned way, we are proactively designing a more sustainable and stable model. We believe this approach will provide safer, higher-quality care for the people of Pembrokeshire.”
Reassurance over local hospitals
Asked whether any hospital would lose services under the wider Clinical Services Plan, Mr Davies said no community would lose access.
“There will be changes to how services are provided across West Wales,” he said.
“However, no community will lose access to services. In some cases, services may be delivered in a different location or in a different way.”
He added that all four main hospital sites would continue to play a “vital and important role”.
Monitoring outcomes
Mr Davies said the board had established baseline quality and safety data ahead of the changes and would closely monitor performance.
“We have defined outcome measures and performance expectations,” he said.
“As we move into the improvement phase, we will evaluate whether the changes are delivering anticipated improvements in quality, safety and patient experience.”
Health
Withybush: From full district hospital to “salami-sliced” services
How Pembrokeshire’s main hospital has changed over more than a decade
WITHYBUSH HOSPITAL reopened in 1979 as Pembrokeshire’s flagship district general hospital, providing consultant-led maternity, a Special Care Baby Unit, 24-hour inpatient children’s services, emergency general surgery and comprehensive emergency care.
For decades it functioned as the county’s main acute hospital.
Today it still delivers vital care — but its role has changed significantly.
Over the past 12 years, a series of decisions have altered the scope of services, with campaigners describing the process as the gradual “salami-slicing” of the hospital.
Health leaders say changes have been driven by patient safety concerns, national workforce shortages and the need to deliver sustainable specialist services.
Critics argue the cumulative effect has been a steady centralisation of care away from Pembrokeshire, particularly towards Glangwili Hospital in Carmarthen.
The latest decision to remove emergency general surgery has brought that long-running debate sharply back into focus.

Timeline: How services have changed
2014 — Consultant-led maternity and SCBU withdrawn
One of the most controversial changes came when consultant-led obstetric services and the Special Care Baby Unit were removed.
They were replaced with a midwife-led unit for low-risk births only.
High-risk pregnancies, complex deliveries and babies needing specialist care were transferred to Carmarthen.
The decision triggered some of the largest healthcare protests ever seen in Pembrokeshire, with marches, public meetings and petitions to the Welsh Government.
Although later evaluations reported high satisfaction among women using the midwife-led unit, concerns about travel distances and emergency risks persisted.
For many residents, this moment marked the beginning of a wider shift in the hospital’s role.
2014 — Inpatient children’s ward closed
The same year saw the removal of 24-hour inpatient paediatric services.
A Paediatric Ambulatory Care Unit was introduced instead, initially operating from 10:00am to 10:00pm, providing assessment and short-stay treatment but no overnight admissions.
Children requiring inpatient care were transferred to Glangwili Hospital.
Campaigners warned the paired maternity and paediatric changes were the “thin end of the wedge.”

2016 — Paediatric unit hours reduced
Opening hours for paediatric ambulatory services were reduced further to approximately 10:00am to 6:00pm because of staffing shortages.
The change was described as temporary at the time.
Staffing improvements announced in 2025 allowed the service to expand again, but full inpatient paediatric provision has not returned.
Late 2010s — Plans raise fears of hospital downgrading
The Hywel Dda University Health Board launched its “Transforming Clinical Services” programme, exploring major changes across west Wales hospitals.
Some options would have reduced Withybush to a community-style hospital with fewer acute functions, while concentrating specialist care elsewhere.
Plans also included a proposed new regional “border hospital” serving Pembrokeshire and south Ceredigion, potentially near Narberth or St Clears.
Public opposition was intense.
Hundreds attended protests in Haverfordwest and across the county, while Senedd petitions attracted significant support.
The proposed new hospital remains years away, with funding and timelines uncertain.
2019–2023 — Workforce pressures and RAAC crisis
Recruitment difficulties persisted across multiple specialties, reflecting wider NHS workforce shortages.
The discovery of reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete (RAAC) created major operational disruption, with more than 100 beds affected at various stages.
Ward closures, temporary relocations and ongoing remediation works continued into 2025 and 2026.
Healthcare Inspectorate Wales inspections also highlighted pressures on emergency department capacity, patient flow and governance during winter demand surges.
2025 — Consultation on nine “fragile” services
The Health Board consulted communities on potential changes affecting nine services including emergency general surgery, stroke care and critical care.
Officials described the services as fragile and at risk of becoming unsustainable in their existing form.
More than 190 alternative ideas were submitted by the public during the consultation process.
February 2026 — Emergency general surgery removed
Following a two-day board meeting on Feb 18 and 19, emergency general surgery operations were removed from Withybush.
Patients requiring emergency surgery will now be transferred to other hospitals, mainly Glangwili.
Same-day emergency care services are expected to be strengthened locally.
Board members were told the decision was about improving quality and safety.
Health Board Chief Executive Phil Kloer said proposals were aimed at improving care for patients, while clinicians raised concerns about alternative models such as alternating emergency surgery between hospitals on different weeks.
Political backlash and reactions
Local Senedd Member Paul Davies said he was “appalled” by the decision.
He said: “I’m appalled that Hywel Dda University Health Board has voted to remove general emergency services from Withybush Hospital — but I’m not surprised.”
Plaid Cymru representatives also expressed disappointment, with calls for the decision to be reconsidered.
Earlier in January 2026, Mr Davies and fellow Senedd Member Samuel Kurtz had warned that maintaining emergency services at Withybush was a “red line.”
Mr Davies has said he will now seek Welsh Government intervention.
The “salami-slicing” argument
Campaign group Save Withybush Action Team (SWAT) has used the phrase “salami slicing” for more than a decade.
The term reflects the belief that no single decision closes the hospital — but each change reduces its capability, making further changes easier.
Campaigners have previously warned this could create a cycle where:
• services reduce
• recruitment becomes harder
• fragility increases
• further centralisation follows
Health Board leaders reject the accusation, saying decisions are based on clinical evidence, workforce realities and patient safety.
Rural realities driving concern
Pembrokeshire’s geography plays a major role in public anxiety.
The county is large and rural, with limited public transport and long travel distances to alternative hospitals.
Campaigners argue centralisation risks:
• longer ambulance journeys
• delays in time-critical conditions
• additional hardship for elderly or low-income residents
• challenges during winter weather
• increased pressure during tourist season population surges
Critics also warn that removing services can undermine the long-term sustainability of the emergency department, even where no formal A&E closure is proposed.
What services remain at Withybush
Despite the changes, the hospital continues to provide major local healthcare services including:
• a 24-hour emergency department
• same-day emergency care
• a midwife-led maternity unit
• outpatient clinics and diagnostics
• some planned and elective treatments
However, it no longer operates as the comprehensive district general hospital it once was.
A debate far from over
For many residents, Withybush is more than a hospital.
It represents fairness, access and confidence that rural communities receive equal healthcare provision.
The tension between clinical centralisation and local provision remains one of the most politically sensitive issues in west Wales.
The latest decision is unlikely to be the final chapter.
-
Business2 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime6 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community3 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Education6 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community5 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Business3 days agoSvitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute
-
Health2 hours agoWithybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision
-
News6 days agoClimber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall









