Crime
Recruitment drive launched to find thousands of new magistrates
Volunteers sought across England and Wales as government moves to speed up justice system
A MAJOR recruitment campaign is under way to attract thousands of new magistrates in England and Wales, as the UK Government presses ahead with wide-ranging reforms to tackle delays in the courts.
The Ministry of Justice has confirmed it wants to recruit a further 2,000 volunteer magistrates over the next financial year, building on the more than 2,000 already trained since 2022. The move forms part of efforts to reduce long-standing backlogs in the Crown Court system and deliver faster justice for victims.
Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Secretary David Lammy said magistrates were central to the justice system, dealing with the vast majority of criminal cases and playing a vital role in local communities.
He said: “Magistrates hear thousands of cases every year and deliver justice across every jurisdiction. They are everyday people serving their communities, and we need more volunteers from all backgrounds and age groups to step forward.
“Becoming a magistrate can be a life-changing experience and makes a real difference to society.”
The recruitment drive follows the announcement of proposed court reforms in December, which include plans to expand magistrates’ sentencing powers. Under the proposals, magistrates could be allowed to impose prison sentences of up to 18 months, compared with the current limit of 12 months, enabling them to handle more serious cases. The government has also indicated that the cap could rise to 24 months if required.
Other proposals include limiting jury trials for certain offences and introducing faster-track courts within the Crown Court system, where cases could be heard by a single judge.
The Magistrates’ Association welcomed the renewed focus on the role but warned that additional support would be essential. It said increased responsibility must be matched by investment in trained legal advisers, proper staffing levels and repairs to deteriorating court buildings.
Magistrates are unpaid volunteers and are expected to sit for a minimum of thirteen days each year. They are supported by professional legal advisers and work across criminal, youth, family and civil courts.
Latest figures from the Ministry of Justice show that 57% of magistrates are women, while 14% come from ethnic minority backgrounds. Outside London, diversity levels remain significantly lower than the population as a whole.
Judicial leaders say they are looking for applicants with strong communication skills, sound judgement, impartiality and the ability to weigh up competing arguments.
However, the proposals have attracted criticism from opposition politicians. Shadow justice minister Kieran Mullan said the government’s record on court backlogs had worsened and warned that curbing jury trials risked damaging public confidence in the justice system.
He said recruiting more magistrates was welcome, but argued it would not resolve deeper structural problems within the courts.
Crime
Milford Haven man admits assault and harassment charges
A MILFORD HAVEN has admitted assaulting a family member and harassing another relative following incidents in the town last year.
Wayne Whatling, 39, of Howarth Close, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Whatling changed his pleas to guilty to one charge of assault by beating and one charge of harassment without violence.
The assault charge relates to an incident in Milford Haven on September 13, 2025, when Whatling assaulted Ben Whatling by beating him.
He also admitted pursuing a course of conduct amounting to harassment against Carol Whatling between September 1 and September 13, 2025.
The court heard the harassment allegation involved repeatedly asking Carol Whatling for money, with the complainant said to have feared repercussions if she did not provide it.
Magistrates adjourned the case for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.
Whatling was remanded on conditional bail and ordered not to contact Carol or Ben Whatling directly or indirectly.
He is due to be sentenced at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (June 9).
Crime
Milford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident
A MILFORD HAVEN man has admitted affray following an incident at a town centre pub.
Stephen Collier, 38, of Vaynor Road, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).
Collier has pleaded guilty to affray, relating to an incident at Nos Da, Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on December 3, 2025.
The charge states that he used unlawful violence towards John Dean Hilton and that his conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their personal safety.
Collier also faces a separate charge of burglary dwelling with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm. It is alleged that, on the same date, he entered a flat at Nos Da as a trespasser and inflicted grievous bodily harm on Mr Hilton. He denies that charge.
The court also dealt with a breach of bail allegation after Collier was arrested on May 20 for allegedly breaching a curfew condition. He admitted the breach.
Magistrates re-admitted him to conditional bail.
His bail conditions include a daily electronically monitored curfew between 9:00pm and 6:00am, residence at his Vaynor Road address, and exclusions from Mount Estate, Milford Haven town centre, and Nos Da.
He must also not contact prosecution witnesses, including Molly Martin, Jack Martin, Lily Rose Martin and John Hilton.
Collier is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, June 5, for sentence.
A spokesperson for Nos Da said the incident was connected with rooms upstairs at the Victoria Road premises, and did not take place in the bar itself, in the licensed area.
Crime
Carmarthen woman accused of Tenby hotel assault and criminal damage
A CARMARTHEN woman is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court accused of assault and criminal damage at a Tenby hotel.
Kerry McReynolds, 35, of Trem Y Coleg, Carmarthen, is charged with assaulting Ryan Mayne by beating him in Tenby on May 9.
She is also accused of damaging potted plants worth £35 belonging to Tenby House Hotel on May 10.
McReynolds appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for a bail variation application.
She was remanded on conditional bail, with a condition not to enter Tenby House Hotel.
Her next hearing is listed for Tuesday (May 26) at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.
-
Community7 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
News19 hours agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime3 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News2 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime3 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime3 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News3 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime5 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims






