Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Seven new stations promised as UK and Welsh Governments unveil rail investment plan

Published

on

Prime Minister backs long-term vision for Welsh rail with funding commitments, but questions remain over delivery timelines and regional balance

RAIL services across Wales could be transformed under a new long-term investment plan jointly backed by the UK and Welsh Governments, with seven new railway stations promised and thousands of jobs projected.

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer is due to formally endorse the Transport for Wales vision for the network on Wednesday (Feb 18), committing Westminster to work alongside the Welsh Government to deliver what ministers describe as a “generational” programme of improvements.

The announcement includes plans for new stations at Magor and Undy, Llanwern, Cardiff East, Newport West, Somerton, Cardiff Parkway, and Deeside Industrial Park in north Wales. Nearly £500m allocated in the latest Spending Review is expected to help fund the initial projects, alongside wider schemes that could total up to £14bn over coming decades.

The programme is projected to support around 12,000 jobs across Wales, including construction roles and employment linked to improved transport connections.

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said: “For too long, Wales has been let down by a UK government unwilling to do the hard yards and build the future they deserve.

“This government is turning the page on historic dither and delay with seven new stations, thousands of jobs, and a generational commitment to build a rail network fit for Wales’ future.”

Welsh First Minister Eluned Morgan welcomed the announcement, saying cooperation between governments had created a “renewed ambition” for rail.

She said: “Changes of this scale don’t happen overnight but they do happen when there is vision, determination, and cooperation. We’ve already proved that with the Core Valley Lines.”

The investment builds on existing Welsh Government spending, including £1.1bn on the Core Valley Lines electrification and £800m on new trains.

Transport for Wales chair Vernon Everitt described the programme as an “ambitious agenda” that would improve access to jobs, housing and education, while increasing rail usage and reducing car journeys.

However, opposition figures and campaigners have previously warned that Wales has historically received lower levels of rail infrastructure funding compared with other parts of the UK, particularly due to the classification of the HS2 project as an England-and-Wales scheme.

Critics have also raised concerns that most of the newly announced stations are concentrated in south-east Wales, with fewer direct benefits for rural communities and west Wales, where rail connectivity challenges remain significant.

There are also questions about delivery timescales. While work on the five south-east Wales stations is expected to begin later this year, construction of some projects may not start until the end of the decade, with full completion dependent on future funding settlements.

The UK Government said the wider programme could generate £6.3bn in economic benefits, create up to 13.3 million additional rail journeys annually, and reduce millions of car trips, cutting carbon emissions.

Secretary of State for Wales Jo Stevens said: “After years of underinvestment in Welsh infrastructure, this UK Government is modernising and upgrading Welsh rail.

“This investment… will better connect people with the well-paid jobs we are creating across the country and drive economic growth.”

Further details on funding allocations and project timelines are expected to emerge following additional business case work and future Spending Reviews.

 

Crime

Man who threw corrosive liquid at guest and fled abroad jailed

Published

on

A BUSINESSMAN who threw a corrosive liquid into a guest’s face during a row at a spiritual retreat before fleeing the country has been jailed for 18 months.

Dean Mayze, aged 38, from Abercrave in Powys, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm following the attack at his Hafan-y-Coed retreat in December 2022.

Swansea Crown Court heard the assault happened after an argument with guest Keifer Price, who had complained about the condition of his accommodation, including a lack of heating and washing facilities.

During the confrontation, Mayze produced a blue container and threw its contents upwards into the victim’s face.

The liquid — described as smelling like ammonia — entered Mr Price’s eyes, nose and mouth, leaving him in severe pain and struggling to breathe.

Medical evidence confirmed injuries consistent with a chemical burn to both eyes. He suffered abrasions, a corneal defect and the loss of the outer corneal layer in one eye, requiring significant treatment to prevent permanent sight loss. He has since recovered without lasting injury.

Fled across Europe

Following the attack, Mayze fled the UK, triggering an international search.

The court heard he travelled across several European countries, including Ireland, France, Italy, Croatia and Greece, before eventually being arrested in Romania in 2025.

Despite being on the run, he remained in regular contact with police by text and email, at one point telling officers he would not be returning to Wales.

His partner initially claimed responsibility for the assault and later received a suspended prison sentence after admitting perverting the course of justice.

Previous conviction

The court was told Mayze has a previous conviction for wounding involving a corrosive substance in Kent in 2013.

Defence barrister Andrew Taylor said his client had experienced harsh conditions while detained in Romania, including contracting scabies without treatment, and described him as remorseful.

However, Judge Geraint Walters said it was “pure luck” the victim had not suffered permanent injuries, describing the attack as a “particularly wicked way of inflicting violence”.

Sentence and order

Mayze, who appeared via video link from prison, had previously denied a more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

He was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment and made subject to a three-year restraining order.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Police appeal after man injured in St Davids incident

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses following an incident in St Davids which left one man injured.

The incident happened in Nun Street at around 11:10am on Tuesday, December 30. The injured man was taken to hospital for treatment.

Officers confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident.

Police are now asking anyone with information, dash cam footage, or CCTV that could assist the investigation to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online at:
https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us-beta/contact-us/

Alternatively, email [email protected], send a direct message via social media, or call 101 quoting reference DP20251230094.

Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Sexual assault allegation to be tried

Published

on

Accused granted conditional bail

A SEXUAL assault allegation has been listed for trial following a hearing before magistrates.

David Fletcher, 45, of Chestnut Way, Mount Estate, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Feb 12) charged with sexual assault, contrary to section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

The charge alleges that on March 16, 2025, at Johnston, Pembrokeshire, he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over and that the touching was sexual when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe that she was consenting.

The matter was adjourned for trial and Fletcher was remanded on conditional bail.

The trial is listed for March 9, 2026 at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court. Bail conditions prohibit him from entering a specified premises in Johnston, from contacting directly or indirectly the complainant or any prosecution witnesses, and from posting any information relating to the investigation on social media. The conditions were imposed to prevent further offending and to prevent interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.

 

Continue Reading

Crime1 day ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community2 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime2 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business2 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime3 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government3 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News3 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health4 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime5 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime6 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

Popular This Week