Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Local Government

Independent Group reshuffle as council tax budget battle looms

Published

on

Leadership change confirmed weeks before key vote amid warning over school cuts

PEMBROKESHIRE County Council’s Independent Group has confirmed a change in its leadership arrangements following a meeting held on Tuesday (Feb 18), with the changes taking effect from March 23, 2026.

Cllr Anji Tinley

Cllr Anji Tinley will become Group Leader, while Cllr Elwyn Morse will serve as Deputy Group Leader and take on the role of Chair of the Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee. Cllr Michael John will remain Chair of the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee, and Cllr Huw Murphy will become Chair of the Social Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

The changes reflect the forthcoming appointment of Cllr Delme Harries as Chair of Council at the Annual Meeting on May 15. Under council rules, the Chair of Council cannot simultaneously hold a scrutiny chair role.

The Independent Group also confirmed it will not support the Cabinet’s proposed budget, which includes a 4.6% council tax rise for 2026/27 and a 2% reduction — approximately £2 million — in individual school budgets.

Group members said they hoped councillors across the chamber could work together to agree a budget that avoids cuts to education, particularly in light of recent Estyn inspections that have placed three schools into special measures with safeguarding concerns identified.

However, the Group warned that if a budget is approved that imposes what it described as substantial school funding reductions, it will consider invoking constitutional powers to bring forward a motion to rescind the decision.

 

Local Government

Independent group threatens to oppose council tax plans over education cuts

Published

on

Councillors demand £2m savings removed amid safeguarding concerns in schools

THE INDEPENDENT GROUP on Pembrokeshire County Council has warned it will not support the Cabinet’s proposed council tax increases unless planned reductions to the education budget are reversed.

Cabinet has recommended a council tax rise of 4.6% for 2026/27, followed by 5% the following year and potential increases of up to 7.5% in future years. The Independent Group has criticised the proposals, describing them as a “ballot box” budget which they claim postpones difficult financial decisions for future administrations.

The group also said it had not been consulted during the budget process by Council Leader Jon Harvey, despite representing a significant number of councillors.

Safeguarding concerns raised

Cllr Huw Murphy

Councillor Huw Murphy said the group’s main concern relates to education funding, particularly following the recent placement of three Pembrokeshire schools into special measures.

He said: “The seriousness of the situation facing education in Pembrokeshire cannot be overstated. All councillors need to place school safeguarding above party politics.”

The Independent Group argues that reducing the education budget by more than £2 million would be inappropriate at a time when schools face financial pressures and scrutiny from inspectors.

The councillors have called for the proposed savings to be reinvested to help improve standards at Ysgol Harri Tudur, Milford Haven School and the Pembrokeshire Learning Centre in Neyland, as well as addressing wider infrastructure concerns including building maintenance issues at several schools across the county.

Budget pressures acknowledged

The group acknowledged efforts by the council’s finance leadership to achieve savings, noting projections that the authority could finish the financial year under budget.

However, Councillor Murphy questioned whether some efficiencies may have affected services, including education provision and safeguarding.

He also highlighted that councillors had previously reduced proposed education cuts during last year’s budget process following cross-party support.

Political tensions

The statement also criticised the position of councillors from other parties, questioning whether Labour and Plaid members would support reductions in education spending given the current challenges facing schools.

It further referenced previous proposals from Liberal Democrats councillors for higher council tax increases to protect school funding, suggesting the current position appeared inconsistent.

The Independent Group says it will only support the budget if education cuts are removed, placing what it describes as safeguarding, wellbeing and educational attainment as its priority

Council response

Cllr Alastair Cameron, Cabinet Member for Finance responded by saying: “All 60 Councillors will have the opportunity to have their say (and vote) on the budget this coming Friday (20th February).

“Cllr Murphy was invited to meet to discuss the budget in the Autumn. He was invited again on the 20th January. There has also been ample opportunity for all Members to engage in the budget setting process through a series of Members seminars.

“The budget proposed provides an additional £4.7m in funding for schools across Pembrokeshire next year and this is on top of an additional £5.9m provided last year and an additional £7.7m provided the year before.

“This year’s budget strikes the right balance between supporting key services and keeping council tax rises manageable.

“As the Leader said last week the administration is very aware we cannot keep asking residents to pay significantly more and it is our intention to get back to Council Tax increases that are broadly in line with inflation.”

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Search begins for five bodies possibly buried beneath County Hall car park

Published

on

A SEARCH is underway to determine whether the remains of five executed prisoners from the nineteenth century may still lie beneath a council-owned car park in Carmarthen.

A deep-ground scan was carried out at the Carmarthenshire County Hall site on Sunday (Feb 15), where the former Carmarthen prison once stood. The investigation is focusing on the possible burial locations of four convicted murderers and one convicted forger who were executed between 1818 and 1894, when prison gardens occupied the land now used for parking.

The survey was conducted using a digital ground-penetrating radar system operated by Shane Gwilt of Leica Geosystems. The findings have been sent overseas for specialist analysis, with results expected within the next week.

County Hall stands on the historic site of Carmarthen Gaol, which closed in 1922. Although the prison buildings were demolished in the 1930s, local historian and former Mayor of Carmarthen, Richard Goodridge, believes the bodies were never exhumed and may remain in their original graves.

Carmarthenshire County Council has confirmed it has no intention of disturbing or removing any remains should they be identified.

Richard Goodridge, Shane Gwilt & Alun Lenny at County Hall, Carmarthen (Pic: CCC)

Richard Goodridge said: “I strongly believe, based on the evidence and research I have carried out over the last two years, that the remains of these five convicted felons, hanged for their crimes, still remain where they were buried after their execution.

“It is the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle that, if confirmed, will lay to rest a great mystery that has fascinated Carmarthen residents for over a hundred years. It is unbelievable that the bodies were not exhumed when the prison was demolished.

“Finding them will at least bring to an end a mystery worthy of a Sherlock Holmes novel.”

Carmarthenshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Resources, Cllr Alun Lenny, said the investigation had been carried out without disruption or cost to the authority.

He said: “The work carried out on Sunday in an attempt to discover the remains of the five executed criminals didn’t disturb the car park surface in any way and was at no cost to the county council. But it may add another chapter to the colourful history of Carmarthen as Wales’ oldest town, so we await the results with anticipation.”

 

Continue Reading

Business

Milford Haven-South Hook LNG gas pipeline gets green light

Published

on

THE FINAL stage of a call for a 1.5km hydrogen gas pipeline in Pembrokeshire in connection with a previously granted scheme for green energy production has been given the go-ahead by the national park.

Late last year Pembrokeshire County Council approved a scheme by Zurich-based MorGen Energy Ltd, previously known as H2 Energy Europe, sought permission for a 1.5km six-inch 10-bar low-pressure hydrogen pipeline and associated Above Ground Installation at the Impala Terminal, Milford Haven to the South Hook Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) Terminal.

A supporting statement through agent Fisher German said the scheme crossed both Pembrokeshire County Council and the national park authorities, with a similar application before that authority.

It added: “The proposals form part of the West Wales Hydrogen project, where planning permission was granted on October 6, 2023, for the development of a new 20MW hydrogen production facility at the Impala Terminal (formerly Puma Energy) in Milford Haven.

“The approved hydrogen production facility which uses electrolysis to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, where the oxygen is a by-product of the process.  The hydrogen production plant will produce 1,875 tons of hydrogen per year. Hydrogen will be distributed via high pressure vessels (40 ft. containers) to various customers in the closer vicinity, opening the hydrogen market to a large variety of customers.

“Hydrogen will also be distributed to the South Hook LNG Terminal and it is proposed that this will be via a new six-inch 10-bar hydrogen pipeline. The option to supply hydrogen to the South Hook LNG terminal via high pressure hydrogen containers was dismissed due to safety considerations at the terminal.

“This application therefore seeks planning permission for a section of below ground hydrogen pipeline within the jurisdiction of Pembrokeshire County Council, which comprises the north part of the route from the hydrogen plant at Impala to the South Hook LNG Terminal, alongside an AGI at the Impala Terminal.”

An officer report accompanying that approval said the southern part of the proposed pipeline was within the jurisdiction of the Pembroke Coast National Park Authority.

A national park officer report for that part, recommending approval, said its section of the pipeline “is a linear parcel of land comprising approximately 0.994 hectares,” adding: “It is mainly the location of a disused railway, now overgrown with scrub and grassland, in the open countryside.”

It added: “The development site is cross-boundary, situated primarily within the jurisdiction of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority (the south-west extent), with a small section of the proposed pipeline (and an above-ground installation (AGI)) within the Pembrokeshire County Council (PCC) LPA area (the north-east extent).”

The national park side was conditionally approved by planners.

 

Continue Reading

Crime1 day ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community2 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime2 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business2 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime3 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government3 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News3 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health4 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime5 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime6 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

Popular This Week