Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Pembroke Dock: Woman ‘stabbed a man in the back with kitchen knife’

Published

on

Swansea Crown Court

Swansea Crown Court

A PEMBROKE DOCK woman has been arrested and charged with stabbing a man in the back with a kitchen knife.

Wendy Case, aged 48, this afternoon appeared at Swansea Crown Court via video link with Eastwood Park women’s prison near Bristol, where she is being held on remand.

Ian Wright, prosecuting, said she had been charged with wounding with intent. During the incident she is alleged to have held “two kitchen knives, one in each hand” and to have stabbed the man between the shoulder blades.

Case will be asked to enter a plea at a hearing on August 18.

She was further remanded in custody meanwhile.

Case’s alleged victim has not been named at this stage and according to court documents she is officially of no fixed abode.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Prosecution: Bevan ‘a bully that would viciously batter a two-year-old’

Published

on

DURING closing statements in the murder trial of Lola James from Haverfordwest, murder accused Bevan was branded a “bully”.

In her closing statement, Caroline Rees KC, for the Crown Prosecution Service told Swansea Crown Court how on the evening of July 16, 2020, Lola James described as a “beautiful, bright two-year-old” went to bed without a bump, scrape or bruise on her body, apart from the nose injury in which she received the week before.

By 6.32am the following morning, Lola was “battered, scratched, heavily bruised from head to toe, unconscious and seriously injured”.

The prosecution argues that these injuries were caused at the hands of Kyle Bevan, 31, who is accused of murdering the tot during a “brutal, frenzied violent attack”.

Lola had catastrophic head injuries along with 101 surface injuries on her tiny body when she was presented to hospital.

Tragically, on July 21, 2020, Lola succumbed to her injuries at University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff

Bevan has maintained his innocence throughout the case, insisting that Lola’s extensive injuries were caused by the family dog jumping up and knocking her down 12 carpeted stairs.

Ms Rees KC said: “To cause such serious and extensive injuries must have involved a frenzied, brutal attack with blunt force trauma all over her head and body along with violent shaking which caused the head and eye injuries.”

As mentioned in their opening statement, the Crown makes no suggestion that Sinead James, 30, Lola’s mother, took part in the “attack” or was aware that it was happening.

At the time of the incident, James was asleep upstairs in her bed with the door open.

Caroline Rees went on to say: “The fact that Sinead James had not been woken by noise whilst Lola was under attack suggests that Kyle Bevan rendered Lola unconscious early on, but carried on to inflict injuries.”

At 4.26am Bevan took a photograph of Lola on his mobile phone. Lola was conscious, but had bruising and marks to her upper back. It is not believed that Lola had sustained the catastrophic head injury at this point.

At 6.32am, Bevan used his mobile phone to make an internet search which read: “My two-year old child has just taken a bang to the head and gone all limp and snoring, what’s wrong?.”

This was followed by a screenshot from a medical website which states medical assistance should be sought immediately.

Despite this an ambulance was not called for almost another hour.

Ms Rees said: “Bevan’s behaviour between 6.32am and 7.20am proves beyond doubt there was no accidental fall down the stairs from a dog.

“Bevan needed that hour to conduct lies to protect himself and come up with an excuse as to how an alive and well to a perilous state to cover his tracks.”

Mr Hipkin KC, Bevan’s barrister, took reference to this during his closing statement. Citing that Bevan was not the most intelligent or articulate person.

“He has been criticised relentlessly by normal standards for not calling an ambulance – does it mean he’s guilty? Or might be an innocent explanation. 

“His mother said he believed she could fix things, he’s done that all his life. He did eventually ask her to call an ambulance.”

The prosecution went on to make reference to the fact that Bevan did not take to the witness stand.

They proposed they would have sought to get answer to the following: 

  • Why was lola wet when the ambulance arrived?
  • Why was there vomit on a onesie and Lola’s duvet, 
  • How did lola get through baby gate?
  • Why was the bath cleaned? 
  • Where did Lol’s tattoo vanish too? 
  • Explanation for the delay of an hour to call an ambulance or wake her mother?

Ms Rees said the answer to this was simple, that Bevan could not offer any answer to what happened on that morning.

“ The prosecution’s position is clear.

“Bevan is a bully, the kind of bully that would viciously batter a two-year-old child. 

“Like most bullies, he is a coward and not willing to stand in that witness box and give his account.”

This was something opposed by Bevan’s barrister.

On this matter, Mr Hipkin simply invited the jury to remember that Bevan had undergone hours and hours of police interview for which he had cooperated.

Mr Hipkin said: “What can be said is he has been interviewed on this on many occasions and answered questions repeatedly. Hour after hour, year after year.”

The prosecution asked the jury to consider all the medics and medical expert opinions.

She added: “You heard from many doctors. Every single medic that saw Lola noted extensive and significant injuries and they all expressed concerns that this was not accidental.” 

The prosecution argues that Bevan had a “volatile and unpredictable temper” and on July 17, launched a “murderous attack” on the defenceless two-year-old.

Ms Rees said: “Everything you heard about him demonstrates an aggressive and unpredictable temper which was exacerbated by drugs such as amphetamine and xanax and alcohol.”

The prosecution argues that James knew Bevan was a “volatile” and “angry” man due to past incidents witnessed by her along with her history of previous domestic violence relationships should have set off “alarm bells”.

She said: “With her knowledge and things witnessed herself. Alarm bells should have been loud and clear.

“On the date of the fatal attack, she heard a bump and scream.

“She had an opportunity to intervene but didn’t. 

“Instead left her with what we say is Lola’s killer. 

“Prioritising his need to be trusted with lola over Lola’s safety.”

Something that Mr Elias KC, James’ barrister denies.

Mr Elias said: “On that morning Sinead James woke to every parent’s nightmare.”  

He asked the jury to remember the evidence provided to the court by Social Services and James’ Health Visitor.

Both gave evidence in the stand to the fact that James had engaged well with all of the authorities working with her, and had not concealed any of the injuries that the children had suffered leading up. Which he suggested meant she genuinely considered them accidents.

He added that Sinead had already recognised and took herself and her children away from two other domestic violence relationships and that social services were content with her parenting and ability to keep her children safe and concluded that James had done everything that was asked of her.

He invited the jury to remember that James had no reason to disbelieve Bevan’s account of how small bumps and bruises had appeared on the children in the week prior to Lola’s death.

During police interviews, James had told officers that she had failed her children and that she wished she had never met Bevan.

Mr Elias went on to say, how when you hear of these awful injuries, every parents is going to question themselves on what they could have done different.

He said: “Every parent is going to say omg i failed them. 

“She’s going to say that to herself for the rest of her life.”

Mr Elias asked the Jury to take into consideration that hindsight is an incredible thing, and that James must be judged on what she knew at the time and not what she knows now after seeing evidence.

He added: “What she knew then was a very different picture indeed.”

Mr Rees closed his statement by saying:“The totality of evidence safely and surely finds it proved that Bevan attacked Lola intending at very least to cause that little girl serious injury.

“The evidence points to one conclusion that Kyle Bevan is guilty of murder.”

The Court heard how the dog in question, Jesse, was put down in 2022 after attacking a person.

Closing his statement, Mr Elias said: “There was arguments and damage caused, she was grabbed, on one occasion. He didn’t hit her, he treated the kids regularly very well. 

“She was always open about the injuries, constantly reassured by friends and family that all was fine, accidents happen.”

Mr Elias went on to tell the court how before the evening of 16th July, no significant injuries were apparent on the children. 

And indeed if Bevan did launch a “frenzied attack rendering Lola unconscious” that behaviour was completely out of the blue.

The jury is expected to start deliberation before lunch time tomorrow morning.

Continue Reading

News

Search for missing Pembrokeshire man scaled back by police

Published

on

FOLLOWING nine days of extensive searches on land and sea, we can confirm that the search for missing man Jai has been scaled back.

Police said in a statement: “We launched a search for Jai, aged 40, in the area around Hobbs Point on the morning of Monday, 20 March, following a sighting of Jai and his car, a silver Honda Civic, in the area.

“In the past week we have carried out extensive searches using the force’s specialist search team and police search adviser (POLSA), marine unit, specialist sonar, drones, dog unit, as well as working with South Wales Police’s dive team, the NPAS helicopter and Coastguard.

“A decision was made yesterday to scale back the search, which has been communicated with Jai’s family.

“However, we will act on new information, and officers continue with missing person enquiries.
“We are appealing for people not to put themselves in danger, particularly near the River Cleddau, if they are attempting to look for Jai.

“If you have information that could help with that investigation, please let us know:”

Continue Reading

News

Pembrokeshire chef, Daniel Jones, wins Pub Chef of the Year 2023

Published

on

TALENTED chef Daniel Jones has scooped first prize in the Pub Chef of the Year category at the International Salon Culinaire awards 2023. The finals of the competition took place at ExCel London on 22 March 2023.

Executive chef Daniel is co-owner of JT at the Abergwaun Hotel, the hotel and restaurant in Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, recently awarded a 4* rating by Visit Wales. His winning dish of Lemon Sole, Spring Vegetables, Bluestone Ale and Pickled Cockle Vinaigrette with ‘Welshman’s caviar’ (handpicked laver seaweed from the Pembrokeshire coast) came first place amongst the seven finalists, and will be introduced to the restaurant’s menu this summer.

International Salon Culinaire is regarded as one of the world’s top competitions for chefs, with over 100 categories, from pastry to knife skills. The competition has been a platform for chefs of all levels, from the talented young chefs training at college, to those who are well established and firmly on their culinary career journey. Gordon Ramsey won Chef of the Year in 1992, and the awards have over the years seen world-class ambassadors including Michel Roux Jr and, this year, Monica Galetti.

The Pub Chef of the Year category launched in 2022 to celebrate the fine food in the pubs and bars of the UK, and to recognise the hard work, expertise and talent in the kitchens of these establishments.

First place winner Daniel said: “I am over the moon to win the Pub Chef of the Year at the International Salon Culinaire. It’s a great honour to have cooked alongside other great culinary talent, and I’m delighted to have been recognised by the esteemed judges on the panel this year. I’ll be taking my accolade back to my hometown of Fishguard, where I hope I’ve made the community proud.”

No stranger to competition, Daniel competed in Masterchef: The Professionals in 2010 and he reached the semi-finals of the National Chef of the Year awards in 2018.

His modern European restaurant JT At the Abergwaun Hotel is steeped in Welsh heritage, supporting local suppliers and offering ingredients like Welsh lamb and beef, plus the famous Fishguard Duck and chicken, along with a selection of fine Welsh cheeses. The A La Carte menu changes daily, depending on what can be sourced that day, from locally foraged, farmed or fished ingredients like local lobster and spider crab.

Daniel will be introducing all-day dining on Saturdays for all to enjoy – including non-hotel guests – and this summer, JT At the Abergwaun Hotel will launch a seven-course tasting menu to showcase Daniel’s award-winning cooking (including his winning dish!) and the local Pembrokeshire produce which he’s so proud of.

Continue Reading

News14 hours ago

Prosecution: Bevan ‘a bully that would viciously batter a two-year-old’

DURING closing statements in the murder trial of Lola James from Haverfordwest, murder accused Bevan was branded a “bully”. In...

News19 hours ago

Search for missing Pembrokeshire man scaled back by police

FOLLOWING nine days of extensive searches on land and sea, we can confirm that the search for missing man Jai...

News2 days ago

Sinead James: ‘I heard a loud bang and a scream from Lola at around midnight’

“I WISH i did everything different, i wish i never had him in my house, i wish i never met...

News2 days ago

Haverfordwest mayor vote descends into chaos as fiery dispute breaks out among councillors

SCENES of pandemonium, including three councillors resigning and the mayor being called a disgrace to the town, broke out during...

News3 days ago

Dramatic early hours rescue of 18-year-old in water by Angle RNLI

THE RNLI Angle lifeboat launched on service shortly after 4am on Tuesday morning (Mar 28) to assist in the search...

News3 days ago

Dog in difficulty rescued between St Nons and Caerfai Bay by RNLI

ST DAVIDS inshore lifeboat was tasked at 11am on Monday (Feb 27) to a dog in difficulty at the bottom...

News4 days ago

Mismanagement of public accounts ‘has cost the people of Wales millions’

SIGNIFICANT funds for essential public services have been lost due to shortcomings in the Welsh Government’s accounting, according to a Senedd Committee....

Business4 days ago

Developer Conygar disposes of Haverfordwest 729 home site

A DEVELOPER, involved in a major 700-plus-housing scheme in Haverfordwest, has disposed of its site so it can concentrate on...

News4 days ago

Haverfordwest’s mayor reported to the DVLA by deputy over driving safety fears

HAVERFORDWEST’S mayor, who said he had received anonymous warning letters, was reported to the DVLA by his own deputy mayor...

Business5 days ago

Freeport status ‘will put region at forefront of global green energy revolution’

THE CELTIC FREEPORT will put south west Wales at the forefront of the world’s green energy revolution, the Deputy Leader...

Popular This Week