Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Community

Remembering the unknown children

Published

on

stillborn

Memorial in City Road Cemetery: Huw George and Pat James

HUNDREDS of Pembrokeshire stillborn babies, who now lie in unmarked graves, have been given a permanent memorial. 

An estimated 400 stillborn babies were born between 1928 and 1975 when it was common practice to take them from their mothers without any ritual. Now the babies will be permanently remembered at City Road Cemetery in Haverfordwest – where most of the babies were buried. The new memorial is the culmination of years of campaigning by Pembrokeshire County Council employee, Pat James – Crematorium Assistant at Parc Gwyn in Narberth. Pat, from Milford Haven, arrived at Parc Gwyn almost 10 years ago and was given the job of transferring its written burial records on to computer.

“As I was going through the inputs I realised there were an awful lot of still births,” she said. “Many of them were buried in unmarked graves at City Road Cemetery as Haverfordwest was where the local hospital was. “I also received a lot of phone calls from mothers- many of the now quite elderly – who did not know where their babies were buried and who desperately needed some sort of closure. “I have taken some of them to City Road to show them the unmarked grave where their child was buried and always thought it was so sad that all these babies were there and no one knew about it.”

Pat began looking for funds to set up a memorial in the cemetery to mark the spot where the stillborn babies had been buried. Monumental Masons J Cecil Jones of Swansea donated as did Milford Haven funeral director Tom Newing and Sons, while Haverfordwest undertaker Roy Folland and Sons provided four trees to mark the area. “Today parents of stillborn babies are given a chance to say goodbye to their children with proper burials but it wasn’t always so,” said Pat. “In the past it was thought that it was best for the mothers if their babies were simply taken away from them after birth for their own good.

“I hope this new memorial will give these mothers – and fathers- some solace. Hopefully it will be a place for them to come and reflect.” To mark the new memorial a special service will be held on Monday 29th September at 12 noon. Members of the public are welcome to attend. As well as burials at City Road, there are also unmarked stillborn graves at Llanion and Llanwnda Cemeteries. St Michael’s Cemetery in Pembroke already has a memorial commemorating the children buried there and it is also planned to install a memorial at Llanion in the near future.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Community meeting planned to secure future of historic Boncath building

Published

on

Residents invited to support bid to buy former WI meeting room for community use

A PUBLIC meeting has been called in Boncath as residents prepare plans for a community buy-out of a historic corrugated iron building that has served local people for generations.

Villagers will gather at Boncath Village Hall on Tuesday (Feb 24) at 7:00pm to discuss proposals to purchase Bwthyn Boncath — the former Women’s Institute meeting room — and transform it into a community heritage space for the village.

WI members support community purchase

Local WI members have already agreed to offer the community first refusal on the building, paving the way for a potential community-led purchase.

Supporters say the project would preserve an important piece of local heritage while creating a flexible space for events, exhibitions, and activities in the heart of the village.

PLANED helping lead initiative

The meeting will be led by Cris Tomos of PLANED, the community development charity that previously helped facilitate the community purchase of Tafarn Sinc in Rosebush in 2017.

Mr Tomos said the Boncath project could become another example of successful community ownership in North Pembrokeshire.

He said: “It would be great to have another corrugated building owned by the community in North Pembrokeshire — especially in 2026 as Tafarn Sinc celebrates its 150th anniversary.”

Organisers estimate that around £12,000 will be needed to secure the purchase, with further fundraising planned to support restoration and future use.

How to get involved

Anyone interested in supporting the project or learning more is encouraged to attend the public meeting.

Further information is available via the Bwthyn Boncath Facebook page or by contacting PLANED on 01834 860965.

Photo caption: Community members gather to support plans for the purchase of Bwthyn Boncath (Pics supplied).

 

Continue Reading

Community

Community spirit shines as Wiseman’s Bridge Inn supports Saundersfoot Runners’ food bank event

Published

on

Fourth annual run raises donations for Tenby charity

SAUNDERSFOOT Runners have once again demonstrated the strength of local community spirit after hosting their fourth annual Food Bank Run in aid of The James Criddle Foundation, a Tenby-based food bank.

The popular event attracted a strong turnout of runners and walkers of all abilities, with participants gathering at Wiseman’s Bridge on Sunday morning. Although early rain threatened to dampen proceedings, the weather cleared just in time for the 10:00am start, with even a hint of sunshine greeting those taking part.

Undeterred by puddles along the Heritage Trail towards Pleasant Valley, participants completed multiple laps of the route, collecting discs which were later exchanged for raffle tickets. Alongside generous food donations, the raffle helped further boost support for the Foundation’s work helping local families.

Organisers paid special tribute to Wiseman’s Bridge Inn for once again providing shelter before and after the event, ensuring donations stayed dry and offering much-appreciated refreshments to participants afterwards.

The James Criddle Foundation was established in 2022 in memory of James Criddle, who tragically died in a motorcycle accident while living in Bali. His mother, Rachael, one of the Foundation’s organisers, said the event continues to reflect his legacy.

“James would have been so proud of what has been achieved in his name,” she said. “We love working with Saundersfoot Runners on the annual Food Bank Run — they are one of our biggest supporters and their support means such a lot to local families, particularly at this difficult time of year.”

The Food Bank Run concept was originally created by Sarah Don through her running club in Fareham, Hampshire, as a way to collect donations for a local food bank. Following its success, the initiative grew into a national — and later international — movement in 2023, after a Facebook group encouraged clubs across the UK and beyond to organise similar events for their own communities.

Organisers say details of the 2027 Saundersfoot event will be announced on the Saundersfoot Runners Facebook page in due course.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Suspicious cold-calling van reported across south Pembrokeshire

Published

on

RESIDENTS across several south Pembrokeshire communities have reported encounters with a suspicious cold-calling van, prompting warnings for householders to remain vigilant.

Reports shared on local community groups describe a man arriving uninvited at homes in areas including Llanteg, Pembroke Dock, Penally, St Florence and Saundersfoot over recent days.

One resident in Llanteg said she saw the driver get out of the van and head towards the rear of her property before being challenged. She said he claimed he was looking for homes with large gardens to sell items from the van, before leaving quickly when questioned.

The incident has been reported to Dyfed-Powys Police. Other residents have since reported sightings of what is believed to be the same vehicle, including along Hopsill Lane in Saundersfoot.

Some householders alleged the driver offered discounted garden furniture or plants, sometimes claiming he was working locally for hotels or venues and needed to sell surplus stock before returning to England.

The vehicle is described as carrying branding for “Greengrove Garden Centre,” which appears to correspond to a company registered in Cranleigh, Surrey in 2024.

A website linked to the business advertises teak garden furniture and lists a mobile contact number, but contains limited information about any physical retail premises. The Herald has contacted the company for comment.

There is currently no suggestion that the registered company itself is involved in any criminal activity, and it is not known whether the vehicle seen locally is legitimately connected to the business.

At this stage there is also no confirmation that any criminal offences have taken place. However, police and trading standards authorities regularly advise residents to be cautious of unexpected doorstep sellers, particularly where individuals attempt to access private areas of a property or use persuasive sales tactics.

Residents are advised not to allow unknown callers into their homes or gardens, to verify businesses independently, and to report suspicious behaviour via 101, or 999 in an emergency. Quote police reference number DP-20260219-148.

Anyone with information, dashcam footage or vehicle registration details is urged to contact Dyfed-Powys Police quoting the reference number.

Photo caption: Residents shared images of the van on social media after reports of cold-calling across south Pembrokeshire (Pic: Facebook).

 

Continue Reading

Sport12 hours ago

Late heartbreak as Scotland snatch victory in Cardiff thriller

Wales 23 – 26 Scotland WALES suffered agonising late heartbreak at the Principality Stadium on Saturday (Feb 21) as Scotland...

Local Government14 hours ago

First Minister left red-faced as Labour candidate pulls out during Hakin campaign visit

Candidate says withdrawal follows ‘abuse’ towards candidate’s son and backlash over Withybush Hospital downgrade plan THE FIRST MINISTER was left...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire businesses ‘squeezed to breaking point’ amid economic pressures

MS highlights concerns from local firms as Wales employment figures lag behind UK BUSINESSES in Pembrokeshire are feeling increasingly squeezed...

News2 days ago

Council tax to rise again as Pembrokeshire sets new budget

Schools and social care receive extra funding in 2026–27 spending plans PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has approved its budget for the...

Health2 days ago

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred...

Health3 days ago

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been...

Health3 days ago

Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision

Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to...

Business3 days ago

Mounting complaints: More Computer Solutions Wales customers claim losses

Business owner issues legal threats and IPSO complaint to this newspaper while refusing to answer detailed questions about customers who...

Local Government3 days ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime4 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Popular This Week