Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Climate

Yellow weather warnings issued for Pembrokeshire as ice and snow forecast

Published

on

Travel disruption likely as council activates emergency shelter measures

TWO yellow weather warnings for ice and snow have been issued for Pembrokeshire over the weekend, with hazardous conditions expected to affect travel across the county.

The first Met Office warning is in force until 10:00am on Saturday (Jan 3), with a second warning running from 3:00pm on Sunday (Jan 4) until 12:00pm on Monday (Jan 5). The alerts follow an earlier warning that was in place from midnight until midday on Friday (Jan 2).

Forecasters say icy conditions and snowfall could lead to delays to bus and rail services, while drivers are being urged to plan ahead and allow extra time for journeys, particularly on untreated rural roads and higher routes across north Pembrokeshire and the Preseli Hills.

The Met Office said between 1cm and 3cm of snow is likely in parts of the county, with higher ground potentially seeing accumulations of 5cm to 8cm. Wintry showers are expected to become more frequent overnight, with icy patches forming where surfaces remain untreated.

Pedestrians have also been warned that pavements and cycle paths could become treacherous or impassable, especially during the early morning and evening hours.

In response to the cold conditions, Pembrokeshire County Council has confirmed it will activate its Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP) from Friday (Jan 2) through to Sunday (Jan 4). The measure allows emergency accommodation to be provided for known rough sleepers during periods of extreme weather.

The council is urging members of the public to report anyone sleeping rough so they can be offered emergency shelter over the weekend.

 

Business

Milford Haven-South Hook LNG gas pipeline gets green light

Published

on

THE FINAL stage of a call for a 1.5km hydrogen gas pipeline in Pembrokeshire in connection with a previously granted scheme for green energy production has been given the go-ahead by the national park.

Late last year Pembrokeshire County Council approved a scheme by Zurich-based MorGen Energy Ltd, previously known as H2 Energy Europe, sought permission for a 1.5km six-inch 10-bar low-pressure hydrogen pipeline and associated Above Ground Installation at the Impala Terminal, Milford Haven to the South Hook Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) Terminal.

A supporting statement through agent Fisher German said the scheme crossed both Pembrokeshire County Council and the national park authorities, with a similar application before that authority.

It added: “The proposals form part of the West Wales Hydrogen project, where planning permission was granted on October 6, 2023, for the development of a new 20MW hydrogen production facility at the Impala Terminal (formerly Puma Energy) in Milford Haven.

“The approved hydrogen production facility which uses electrolysis to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, where the oxygen is a by-product of the process.  The hydrogen production plant will produce 1,875 tons of hydrogen per year. Hydrogen will be distributed via high pressure vessels (40 ft. containers) to various customers in the closer vicinity, opening the hydrogen market to a large variety of customers.

“Hydrogen will also be distributed to the South Hook LNG Terminal and it is proposed that this will be via a new six-inch 10-bar hydrogen pipeline. The option to supply hydrogen to the South Hook LNG terminal via high pressure hydrogen containers was dismissed due to safety considerations at the terminal.

“This application therefore seeks planning permission for a section of below ground hydrogen pipeline within the jurisdiction of Pembrokeshire County Council, which comprises the north part of the route from the hydrogen plant at Impala to the South Hook LNG Terminal, alongside an AGI at the Impala Terminal.”

An officer report accompanying that approval said the southern part of the proposed pipeline was within the jurisdiction of the Pembroke Coast National Park Authority.

A national park officer report for that part, recommending approval, said its section of the pipeline “is a linear parcel of land comprising approximately 0.994 hectares,” adding: “It is mainly the location of a disused railway, now overgrown with scrub and grassland, in the open countryside.”

It added: “The development site is cross-boundary, situated primarily within the jurisdiction of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority (the south-west extent), with a small section of the proposed pipeline (and an above-ground installation (AGI)) within the Pembrokeshire County Council (PCC) LPA area (the north-east extent).”

The national park side was conditionally approved by planners.

 

Continue Reading

Climate

Thousands of green jobs promised — including in Pembrokeshire scheme

Published

on

A MAJOR boost for Wales’ renewable energy sector could bring thousands of new jobs after a record number of projects secured UK Government backing — including one development in Pembrokeshire.

Twenty large-scale renewable energy schemes across Wales have been awarded contracts in the latest Contracts for Difference (CfD) auction round, providing long-term price guarantees for electricity generation and allowing construction to move forward.

The successful projects include five onshore wind farms, 12 solar developments and three tidal energy schemes, with a combined capacity of more than 530 megawatts.

Among them is the Pembrokeshire Solar Park, a proposed 9.9MW solar development which could contribute to local energy generation and economic activity in the county.

Welsh Government ministers said the projects together could create thousands of green jobs while helping Wales meet its carbon reduction targets.

First Minister Eluned Morgan said: “I am delighted these projects have been successful in the latest auction round. As well as meeting vital targets to reduce carbon, onshore wind and tidal energy bring major economic benefits and high-quality jobs to Wales. The Welsh Government is committed to ensuring Wales is at the forefront of the green energy revolution.”

Nearly all available UK tidal funding in this auction round — 99.65% — was secured by Welsh projects, strengthening Wales’ position in marine energy development.

Rebecca Evans, Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Energy and Planning, said improving planning certainty had been key to attracting investment.

She said: “We know how important clarity and certainty are for developers, which is why we are working hard to speed up the planning process for major infrastructure projects. Our new legislation and our investment in capacity building is already making a difference.”

The Welsh Government said the developments will also create supply-chain opportunities for local businesses across Wales.

While the majority of projects are located outside west Wales, the inclusion of the Pembrokeshire scheme highlights the county’s continuing role in the transition toward renewable energy, alongside existing and planned marine and hydrogen initiatives around the Milford Haven Waterway.

The Contracts for Difference scheme is the UK Government’s main mechanism for supporting low-carbon electricity generation, providing developers with a guaranteed price for power over a fixed period to reduce financial risk and encourage investment.

Further details about timelines for individual projects are expected to emerge as developers progress planning and construction phases.

 

Continue Reading

Climate

Newgale coastal road relocation plans pause welcomed

Published

on

LOCAL Senedd Member Paul Davies has welcomed the decision taken by Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet to pause its proposed road‑realignment scheme in Newgale.

Newgale was hit hard by flooding following storms in early 2014 storms, and later by Storm Dennis in 2020.

In 2014 it even saw a visit by the-then Prime Minister David Cameron following the storms.

A public consultation – through agent AtkinsRéalis – was launched last year ahead of a formal council application to Pembrokeshire Coast National Park for Phase 1 of the Newgale Coastal Adaptation Project, which would see the development of a new inland section of road with bridge over Brandy Brook some 2.3km inland, to replace the coastal section of A487 at Newgale that will be closed.

Varied claims have been made about the cost of this scheme, from £20m upwards, some even saying it could cost as much as £60m, with millions spent on consultation fees to date.

An alternative, cheaper, scheme had been proposed by STUN – Stand Up for Newgale, proposing a section of the shingle bank at Newgale be realigned 10-12 metres seaward leaving an over-wash barrier between it and the A487 to capture any pebbles and sea water.

At the February meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet, in a report presented by Residents’ Services Cllr Rhys Sinnett, members received an update on the scheme, which included options of a formal submission, abandoning it, and the favoured option of putting it on hold for a period of between 18 and 24 months.

The option recommended, and later backed by members, was: “Acknowledge that the scheme is required to be delivered, in light of climate change, the work undertaken to date and the results of the WG Roads Review and Pre Application Consultation. “However, taking into account the current financial climate and the immediate risk to the A487; pause the scheme prior to submitting planning application, and review the position in the next 18- 24 months.”

It also recommended maintain surveys of the scheme “with a view of future progression of the scheme to planning application as the scheme is required in the long term,” along with reviewing  “options available for short term improvements, including passing places and signage, to the division route implemented during road closures as a result of storm/ flooding impacts at Newgale through the Regional Transport Plan Funding,” and to “continue to review external funding options to support the delivery of the construction phase of the project”.

Mr Davies, who has supported the alternative proposals, said he was pleased that the Cabinet had halted its plans and urged the authority to give full consideration to the alternative community‑led scheme.

Mr Davies said: “Coastal erosion in Newgale has been a longstanding issue, and it’s crucial that any response is both effective and proportionate. The community has developed its own Newgale Beach Access and Shingle Bank Realignment Scheme which offers a less invasive approach that would significantly reduce costs for the council and local taxpayers.”

“Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet is right to stop its own scheme from going ahead and I now urge the Council to consider the community’s proposal, which strikes a far better balance between environmental protection, financial responsibility and the needs of local residents.”

 

Continue Reading

Health30 minutes ago

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been...

Health3 hours ago

Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision

Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to...

Local Government9 hours ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime2 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community2 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime2 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business3 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime3 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government3 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News4 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Popular This Week