Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Local Government

Search begins for five bodies possibly buried beneath County Hall car park

Published

on

A SEARCH is underway to determine whether the remains of five executed prisoners from the nineteenth century may still lie beneath a council-owned car park in Carmarthen.

A deep-ground scan was carried out at the Carmarthenshire County Hall site on Sunday (Feb 15), where the former Carmarthen prison once stood. The investigation is focusing on the possible burial locations of four convicted murderers and one convicted forger who were executed between 1818 and 1894, when prison gardens occupied the land now used for parking.

The survey was conducted using a digital ground-penetrating radar system operated by Shane Gwilt of Leica Geosystems. The findings have been sent overseas for specialist analysis, with results expected within the next week.

County Hall stands on the historic site of Carmarthen Gaol, which closed in 1922. Although the prison buildings were demolished in the 1930s, local historian and former Mayor of Carmarthen, Richard Goodridge, believes the bodies were never exhumed and may remain in their original graves.

Carmarthenshire County Council has confirmed it has no intention of disturbing or removing any remains should they be identified.

Richard Goodridge, Shane Gwilt & Alun Lenny at County Hall, Carmarthen (Pic: CCC)

Richard Goodridge said: “I strongly believe, based on the evidence and research I have carried out over the last two years, that the remains of these five convicted felons, hanged for their crimes, still remain where they were buried after their execution.

“It is the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle that, if confirmed, will lay to rest a great mystery that has fascinated Carmarthen residents for over a hundred years. It is unbelievable that the bodies were not exhumed when the prison was demolished.

“Finding them will at least bring to an end a mystery worthy of a Sherlock Holmes novel.”

Carmarthenshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Resources, Cllr Alun Lenny, said the investigation had been carried out without disruption or cost to the authority.

He said: “The work carried out on Sunday in an attempt to discover the remains of the five executed criminals didn’t disturb the car park surface in any way and was at no cost to the county council. But it may add another chapter to the colourful history of Carmarthen as Wales’ oldest town, so we await the results with anticipation.”

 

Business

Milford Haven-South Hook LNG gas pipeline gets green light

Published

on

THE FINAL stage of a call for a 1.5km hydrogen gas pipeline in Pembrokeshire in connection with a previously granted scheme for green energy production has been given the go-ahead by the national park.

Late last year Pembrokeshire County Council approved a scheme by Zurich-based MorGen Energy Ltd, previously known as H2 Energy Europe, sought permission for a 1.5km six-inch 10-bar low-pressure hydrogen pipeline and associated Above Ground Installation at the Impala Terminal, Milford Haven to the South Hook Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) Terminal.

A supporting statement through agent Fisher German said the scheme crossed both Pembrokeshire County Council and the national park authorities, with a similar application before that authority.

It added: “The proposals form part of the West Wales Hydrogen project, where planning permission was granted on October 6, 2023, for the development of a new 20MW hydrogen production facility at the Impala Terminal (formerly Puma Energy) in Milford Haven.

“The approved hydrogen production facility which uses electrolysis to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, where the oxygen is a by-product of the process.  The hydrogen production plant will produce 1,875 tons of hydrogen per year. Hydrogen will be distributed via high pressure vessels (40 ft. containers) to various customers in the closer vicinity, opening the hydrogen market to a large variety of customers.

“Hydrogen will also be distributed to the South Hook LNG Terminal and it is proposed that this will be via a new six-inch 10-bar hydrogen pipeline. The option to supply hydrogen to the South Hook LNG terminal via high pressure hydrogen containers was dismissed due to safety considerations at the terminal.

“This application therefore seeks planning permission for a section of below ground hydrogen pipeline within the jurisdiction of Pembrokeshire County Council, which comprises the north part of the route from the hydrogen plant at Impala to the South Hook LNG Terminal, alongside an AGI at the Impala Terminal.”

An officer report accompanying that approval said the southern part of the proposed pipeline was within the jurisdiction of the Pembroke Coast National Park Authority.

A national park officer report for that part, recommending approval, said its section of the pipeline “is a linear parcel of land comprising approximately 0.994 hectares,” adding: “It is mainly the location of a disused railway, now overgrown with scrub and grassland, in the open countryside.”

It added: “The development site is cross-boundary, situated primarily within the jurisdiction of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority (the south-west extent), with a small section of the proposed pipeline (and an above-ground installation (AGI)) within the Pembrokeshire County Council (PCC) LPA area (the north-east extent).”

The national park side was conditionally approved by planners.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Review launched into winter gritting for north-east Pembrokeshire roads

Published

on

Council to assess whether salt provision should return to Preseli and higher-ground communities after concerns over closures

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has agreed to review its winter maintenance strategy for roads in the north and north-east of the county, following concerns that higher-ground communities are more vulnerable to snow and ice disruption.

The decision comes after a Notice of Motion was presented by Independent Group Leader, Councillor Huw Murphy, calling for a reassessment of how the authority manages gritting and salt provision in areas north and north-east of the A40, including the Preseli Mountains and communities such as Crymych and Tegryn.

Council officers and Cabinet members acknowledged that these upland areas experience harsher winter conditions than much of the county and are more likely to become impassable during periods of snowfall and icy weather.

The review will also examine the 2022 removal of the auxiliary salt depot previously located near Crymych. If the review concludes that additional provision is required, a replacement salt tip could potentially be reinstated in the north-east, although not necessarily at the former Llanfyrnach site.

The council expects the review to be completed during the second half of 2026.

Councillor Murphy said he welcomed the response from officers and Cabinet, adding that the issue had significant implications for residents, businesses and schools in affected areas.

He said: “The higher ground of north-east Pembrokeshire and areas adjacent to the Preseli Hills are more susceptible to closure during periods of poor weather, especially snow and ice. The potential return of an auxiliary salt tip is something that should be seriously considered and would be welcomed by local communities in helping to keep roads passable during difficult conditions.”

He also referenced the severe weather disruption seen during late 2025, which highlighted the challenges faced by rural communities when key routes become blocked.

Pembrokeshire County Council currently operates three winter maintenance zones across the county, but the review aims to determine whether the existing arrangements provide sufficient resilience for the most weather-exposed areas.

Further details are expected once the assessment work progresses later this year.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

MoD plans for Pembrokeshire site submitted to council

Published

on

PLANS for specialist MoD air traffic radio direction finding equipment works at Pembrokeshire’s Cawdor barracks, where a ‘DARC’ deep space radar facility is proposed, have been submitted to the council.

Cawdor barracks, Brawdy, is occupied by the 14th Signal Regiment who are due to vacate the Barracks in 2028.

A formal screening opinion call, under Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations, submitted to Pembrokeshire County Council by agent Montagu Evans on behalf of the ministry of Defence (MoD) has been submitted relating to renewal works to be undertaken to the air traffic equipment at Cawdor Barracks.

A supporting statement says: “The Ministry of Defence are progressing a full planning application with associated Environmental Statement for a Deep Space Advanced Radar Capability (DARC) Facility on part of the barracks site.

“ This project has yet to be submitted for approval and is being brought forward independently of the renewal works to the Radio Direction Finder.

“The Cawdor Barracks airfield includes a Directional Finder (DF) which forms part of the service operated under a requirement from the National Air Traffic Services (NATS) and the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

“It forms part of the nation-wide system automatic triangulation and distress, and diversion network regulate by the CAA on behalf of NATS. It is located towards the centre of the airfield.

“The network of DF installations is a civilian rather than military requirement, and allows bearing data to be provided to the Distress and Diversion Cell at NATS Swanwick. This is a national service which locates and supports aircraft in distress and manages the diversion of other aircraft.

“The current DF equipment comprises a 0.5m cabinet for electronics, a counterpose mounted the building which holds the ultra-high frequency antennas and a mast upon which the antenna array of 18 antennas is mounted.

“The existing DF equipment is reaching the end of its operational life and must be replaced at a manner which allows for continued operations. It is to be replaced with a High-Resolution Direction Finder (HRDF) which is being managed under the Ministry of Defence’s MARSHALL programme.

The new equipment will allow signals to be received from aircraft up to approximately 90 nautical miles (Nm) from the site, providing maximum coverage of the area through including the Bristol Channel and St Georges Channel.

“The existing DF will remain operational during installation of the new equipment. Once the HRDF is operational, the existing system will be decommissioned and removed from the site. Works are to commence in early 2026 and completed by early 2027.”

 

Continue Reading

Business13 hours ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime23 hours ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government24 hours ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News2 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health2 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime3 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime4 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

News4 days ago

Climber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall

Major air and sea rescue launched as coastguard, lifeboat and helicopters scramble to Pembrokeshire cliffs A PERSON has died and...

Education4 days ago

School in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns

Estyn orders urgent action plan and regular monitoring at Pembroke secondary A PEMBROKESHIRE secondary school has been placed into special...

Crime4 days ago

Armed police arrest man after major operation in Pembroke Dock

Firearms officers, dog units and roadblocks deployed on Gordon Street as Dyfed-Powys Police investigate ARMED officers sealed off part of...

Popular This Week