Business
Mounting complaints: More Computer Solutions Wales customers claim losses
Business owner issues legal threats and IPSO complaint to this newspaper while refusing to answer detailed questions about customers who say they were ‘ripped off’
MULTIPLE customers and former associates have come forward to The Pembrokeshire Herald alleging they were left out of pocket after dealings with Computer Solutions Wales, a business operated by Steven Grant.
Following our earlier reporting more people have come forward. The Herald has now spoken to a growing number of individuals who describe similar experiences involving upfront payments, missing equipment, delays, and difficulties obtaining refunds or wages.
The allegations span a period from 2024 into 2025 and involve sums ranging from hundreds to several thousand pounds.
Grant denies wrongdoing and has refused to provide detailed comment on specific allegations, instead issuing legal threats demanding the newspaper cease reporting on the matter.
The Herald investigation is continuing.
Customers describe similar experiences
While each case has its own circumstances, complainants who contacted the newspaper independently described recurring themes:
• Requests for payment upfront
• Delays or lack of communication
• Explanations involving disputes with landlords or access to premises
• Assurances that work had been completed or refunds issued
• Difficulty recovering money or property
The Herald has reviewed bank statements, payment confirmations, correspondence, and message exchanges relating to several of the complaints.
There is currently no finding of criminal liability, and disputes of this nature are typically matters for civil courts. However, the number of individuals reporting similar experiences has raised public-interest concerns.
NHS worker says she lost laptop and repair payment
One of the most recent complainants, Emma Venables, an NHS worker, says she paid £589 in October 2024 to have her son’s water-damaged laptop repaired.
Bank records seen by the Herald confirm a Faster Payment of £589 made on Friday (Oct 11, 2024) to Computer Solutions.
Ms Venables says communication became sporadic despite repeated attempts to contact the business.
Messages reviewed by the Herald show Grant stating the laptop had been repaired but was locked inside premises due to a dispute with a landlord.
Ms Venables later gained access to the premises through a letting agent but says the laptop was not present.
Grant allegedly suggested the device may have been taken by others with access to the building.
Despite later agreeing to refund the payment, Ms Venables says no money was returned and she has been left both without the device and out of pocket.
She told the Herald the situation caused significant distress during a period when she was grieving the death of her husband.

Animator claims nearly £3,000 loss
Cardiff-based animator Rebecca Merrell says she transferred £2,964.55 in December 2024 for a custom-built computer system which she says was never delivered.
Bank documentation supplied to the Herald confirms the transfer was made via Faster Payments to an account linked to Grant’s business.
Ms Merrell alleges she received repeated assurances the computer had been completed and would be delivered, including claims it was already in Grant’s vehicle awaiting transport.
She further alleges she was sent screenshots appearing to show a refund had been issued, but no payment was ever received.
The Herald has reviewed copies of documents she provided.
Ms Merrell says she was unable to work for months without a replacement computer and had to borrow money from family to purchase another system elsewhere.
She described the experience as having a serious impact on her confidence and mental wellbeing.
Another customer reports lost laptop and payment
The Herald has also spoken to another customer who says they lost both a laptop valued at approximately £1,500 and £589 paid for repairs after handing the device to the business.
They say they were later told the computer had been inside premises affected by a landlord dispute and could not be accessed.
No refund was received.
Further individuals have contacted the Herald describing disputes involving payments for goods or services they say were not delivered or completed.
These claims are currently being reviewed.

Former worker alleges unpaid wages
Separate to the customer complaints, the Herald has also been contacted by a former worker who claims they carried out work connected to the business but did not receive agreed payment.
Documentation relating to that claim has been shared with the newspaper.
The Herald understands the individual believes they are owed money and has considered pursuing recovery through civil action.
Grant has not provided a response to that allegation.
Timeline of disputes
Information provided to the Herald suggests the disputes span several months.
Some complainants describe making payments in late 2024 and experiencing ongoing communication issues into early 2025.
Others report refund promises that they say were not fulfilled.
The Herald is continuing to verify additional timelines as more individuals come forward.
Grant refuses detailed comment
The Herald contacted Steven Grant with detailed questions covering each allegation and the evidence provided by complainants.
He declined to respond to the specifics.
In correspondence, Grant said: “My mental health isn’t great.”
He also warned that further articles would result in legal action.
Legal threats issued to newspaper
Grant subsequently sent what he described as a “final and formal legal notice” to the Herald demanding:
• Immediate cessation of reporting
• Removal of published material
• A retraction
• Written confirmation within seven days
The Herald is continuing its reporting in the public interest.
Grant has also lodged a complaint with the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO).
Right to reply offered
Grant has been given multiple opportunities to respond to the allegations raised by customers and former associates before publication of this article.
He declined to provide any substantive comment.
Customers considering legal action
Some complainants say they are considering civil claims or seeking advice from Trading Standards.
Others say personal circumstances prevented them from pursuing action sooner.
Investigation continues
Since the Herald began reporting on Computer Solutions Wales, additional individuals have contacted the newspaper with further accounts.
Journalists are currently interviewing witnesses and reviewing documentation to establish whether those complaints can be reported on the record.
Anyone with relevant information is invited to contact the newsroom confidentially.
Business
Officer to decide Milford Haven Chinese restaurant housing
THE FINAL decision on a scheme to convert a vandalised former Pembrokeshire town centre Chinese restaurant to a flat and bedsits will be made by a senior planning officer after a compromise aimed at addressing some concerns raised was offered.
In an application recommended for approval at the February meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s planning committee, Mr S Sahin and Miss S Ahmed, through agent Hayston Developments & Planning Ltd, sought permission for a change of use of Grade-II-listed 20 Hamilton Terrace, Milford Haven from the former Mandarin Restaurant to one flat and eight bedsits.
The application had previously been recommended for approval at the January meeting, but was deferred pending a site visit after member of the public Jessica Clarke raised concerns about the potential impact on her mother’s neighbouring property, with issues of height and massing, surface water discharge, and shared boundary walls.
The scheme, in the town’s conservation area, was before committee rather than delegated to officers as it was recommended for approval despite being contrary to development plan policy.
A supporting statement said: “The property has historically been in use as a Chinese restaurant on the ground floor with two flats on the upper floors of the building. The ground floor use of the building ceased some 10 years ago and currently lies vacant. Due to the lack of use of the building, it is in a very poor condition and has been the subject of unfortunate vandalism particularly to the interior of the building.”

It added: “The proposal would represent a high-quality and sympathetic conversion and extension of the building, and which would make a positive contribution to the locality and conservation area status.”
Speaking at the February meeting agent Andrew Vaughan-Harries said, following the site visit, an alternative hip-roof as “a compromise” to lessen the impact on neighbours by reducing the £200,000 investment’s scale and bulk.
Speaking again at the meeting, Jessica Clarke said she, and her mother, were standing by their previous objections, saying the extra stress to her mother had caused “many sleepless nights” on the impact on her “much-loved home and garden”.
Chair Cllr Mark Carter said the application was “a tough one to determine,” with the benefits of extra homes and investment in a run-down building the town set against a potential impact on the quality of life for the neighbour.
He said, after having spoken to the chief planning officer, a way forward could be delegation for final approval going to that officer on condition the hip roof design could be formally agreed.
Members backed that compromise position, with Cllr Carter expressing his sympathy at the concerns raised by the neighbours.
Business
Development above CKs Foodstores, Milford Haven, approved
PLANS for five flats above a supermarket in the centre of Milford Haven have been approved.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, CKs Foodstores Ltd, through agent Josephine Davies, sought approval for a change of use of a first-floor supermarket shop store area to five studio flats at 55-57, Charles Street, an amendment from an initial application for six flats.
The application was supported by Milford Haven Town Council.
An officer report recommending approval said a public consultation exercise was held on the initial plans, with one response from a member of the public who “did not raise any objection to the principle of conversion to flats but had concerns with regards to the impact of the proposal upon the privacy of existing nearby occupiers”.
It said that amendment to a smaller number of flats had addressed that concern.
The report added: “It is considered that the proposed layout of the flats is an appropriate response to the building, having regard to its form and scale and its location.
“New access and window openings have been proposed to accommodate the conversion of the first floor and these are considered appropriate to the proportions of the existing building and will serve to improve its design and appearance by providing variation to the building fenestration, particularly to the eastern elevation along Priory Street and to the rear onto Robert Street, in turn improving the vitality and animation at street level, uplifting a presently tired and uninspiring building in this prominent corner, town centre location.”
It went on to say: “The introduction of an entrance (which will lead to a stairwell to the commercial unit below) and patio doors onto private ‘front garden’ areas to flats 4 and 5 will significantly change this area, from the back of a commercial building/service area to a residential frontage which positively addresses Robert Street and the existing residential on the opposite side of the road.”
The application was conditionally approved by county planners.
Business
Bosherston bistro alcohol license antisocial behaviour fears
A CALL to allow the selling of alcohol as late as 10pm at a rural beauty spot former village tearoom will “create an absolute nightmare” exacerbating an already growing issue with antisocial behaviour, objectors have said.
At Pembrokeshire County Council’s licensing sub-committee meeting of February 19 members will consider an application by Sarah Jane Partridge and Robert John Secrett for a new premises licence at Bosherton Bistro, Old World Cottage, Bosherton.
A report for members says it is proposed the premises, formerly a tearoom called ‘Ye Olde Worlde Café’ would open 8am-10pm, selling alcohol from 9am on and off site, seven days a week in the village near the famed lily ponds.
Since the proposal for the site, close to the village pub The St Govan’s Inn was publicised, 13 objections were received, including Stackpole and Castlemartin Community Council.
In its submissions, the community council said it “will cause a significant public nuisance in the residential area”.
“Bosherston village is a remote village and currently has four well-established camp sites which already frequently cause late night disruption, littering and anti-social behaviour caused predominantly by intoxicated individuals.
“Residing next to the Stackpole Estate, an area of outstanding natural beauty (many areas covered by SSSI), noise generated by outdoor activities, such as the consumption of alcoholic beverages and indoor music and dancing, will generate unacceptable noise levels for residents and have an impact on local wildlife.”
It went on to say: “The provision of alcohol for such extended hours increases the risk likelihood of individuals engaging in criminal activities. Late-night alcohol sales are often associated with increased incidents of drunkenness, vandalism, and other public disorder offences. Instances of aggressive behaviour and trespass are already prevalent within the village by visitors under the influence of alcohol.
“The selling of alcoholic off-sales from such extended hours will likely pose an increased risk to public safety, exasperated by the influx of people late at night leading to confrontations, accidents, and a likely strain on local emergency services.”
Concerns raised by members of the public included “the application as currently written allows for a pub-style operation with morning drinking, off-sales, and dancing,” and “greater access to alcohol for unlimited campers cannot possibly result in anything but an increased problem with drunkenness, drink driving and antisocial behaviour,” and a call imploring “no to a licence, under any circumstances” says the alcohol licence “will not only make life for the residents in the immediate area an absolute nightmare, it will also have a hugely detrimental effect on the village as a whole and could threaten the peace and beauty of the surrounding ponds, beach and coastline.”
Another said: “One unintended consequence of this application has been increased discussions among neighbours regarding the prevalence of antisocial behaviour in the area. There is genuine concern that increased availability of alcohol may contribute to a rise in such behaviour, potentially placing significant strain on the already stretched emergency services.”
The application will be considered at the licensing committee.
-
Business2 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime6 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community4 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Education6 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community5 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
Health4 hours agoWithybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision
-
Business3 days agoSvitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute
-
Farming6 days agoHousing restriction at Hayscastle farm site removed









