Community
Theme park in spin over coffee morning

Showing their support: Oakwood staff
RIDE engineers at Oakwood Theme Park in Pembrokeshire helped raise awareness of a UKwide charity event by enjoying a coffee break in a giant teacup. The team of engineers took time out from their daily inspection programme to take a spin in the park’s teacup ride and raise a cuppa for the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning. The theme park hosted its own coffee morning on Saturday (Sept 27) as part of the UK-wide event to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Relief.
The World’s Biggest Coffee Morning is an annual fundraising event organised by the charity with coffee mornings taking place throughout the UK and even further afield. Oakwood Theme Park’s, Clare Stansfield, said: “As part of our coffee morning event, visitors were able to sample a selection of homemade cakes donated by staff, with all proceeds from the cake sale going to the charity. “There were also collection tins in our cafes and we are making a donation ourselves to what is a tremendous cause. We’ve already raised more than £100,” she added.
Last year’s coffee morning hosts helped raise a record £20 million for people living with cancer and organisers are hoping 2014 will be even more successful. The event started in 1990, when a local fundraising committee decided to hold a coffee morning where people came along to meet and mingle – as they might ordinarily do – but donate the cost of their coffee to Macmillan in the process.
The idea seemed such a simple, yet effective one that they suggested the model be taken up nationally. The first National World’s Biggest Coffee Morning was in 1991, when 2,600 people registered to hold coffee mornings across the country. Since then it has raised nearly £100 million in total for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Community
Pembrokeshire Milford Haven children’s home approved
PLANS for a new “in-house” council children’s care home near Milford Haven have been given the go-ahead by the county council itself.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, the local authority, through agent Oochitecture, sought permission for a change of use of a residential dwelling to a children’s home, along with associated works, at Sentry Cottage, Jordanston, near the Sentry Cross roundabout on the approach to Milford Haven.
An officer report recommending approval said of the two-storey, six-bed house some 1.3km east of Milford Haven: “Alterations and extensions are proposed to the dwelling including a single storey extension is proposed to the west elevation to create a larger office and storeroom, with a two storey extension to the east to provide a larger lounge and dining area and bedroom to the first floor. Externally a large parking area would be created to the east of the dwelling.”

It went on to say: “The application is for a new facility, although there is a suggestion within the submitted information that the dwelling has previously been used as a children’s care home although there is no planning history at the site to suggest this was formally approved.
“However, the use being sought under via this application would be located within an existing dwelling subject to extensions. The application contains detailed information outlining the need for the proposed development including detailed information about the loss of three existing places when the site stopped operating as a children’s home in February 2025.
“As such, supporting information confirms the site as an excellent opportunity to increase ‘in-house’ provision for Pembrokeshire County Council, allowing children from Pembrokeshire receive care closer to home. Information has also been provided to show the year-on-year increase of children requiring the type of care the proposal will offer.”
It further added: “The proposed single storey and two storey extensions would be of a scale that would appear subservient to the host dwelling and have an acceptable visual impact on the host dwelling, with the use of appropriate finish materials.”
The application was conditionally approved by county planners.
Community
Letterston nursery equipment could be stored in cemetery
A CALL for a storage container for a “well-established and valued” Pembrokeshire children’s nursery in a nearby cemetery has been submitted to county planners.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Diane Evans of Meithrinfa Do Re Mi Nursery seeks permission for the installation of a storage container, partially in retrospect, at Horeb Cemetery, Station Road, Letterston.
A supporting statement says: “The container is required to provide essential ancillary storage to support the lawful and established nursery use within the [nearby] chapel building.
“The site forms part of an active cemetery, owned and managed by a group of trustees. The applicant is one of the trustees and has obtained formal permission from the trustees for the container to be sited on this land. The area selected previously comprised a large, longstanding mound of garden waste which has now been removed. The land has been levelled and prepared with a hard-standing base.
“The container will be used solely for storage of nursery equipment and materials, including outdoor learning resources, maintenance equipment, and items required to manage both the nursery grounds and the cemetery land. No additional operational activity will take place within or around the container.”
It adds: “The day nursery provides childcare for approximately 83 children from the local community and employs 21 staff, all of whom live locally. The nursery is a well-established and valued community facility, supporting local families and contributing positively to the local economy. Adequate storage is essential to ensure the safe, efficient and compliant operation of the nursery. The chapel building itself has limited internal storage, making external ancillary storage necessary.”
It says the nursery “operates with a strong community focus and promotes sustainability and environmental awareness,” with plans to soften its appearance through the planting of trees, shrubs and flowers.
It added: “Children will take part in a ‘sow, grow and give’ project, growing cut flowers from seed. These flowers will be made available to the community, particularly visitors to the cemetery, who will be invited to cut flowers to place on the graves of loved ones. This initiative enhances biodiversity, strengthens community links, and adds social value to the cemetery space.”
The application will be considered by county planners at a later date.
Community
Withybush Hospital to lose emergency general surgery
EMERGENCY general emergency surgery is to be removed from Pembrokeshire’s Withybush hospital as part of a wide range of changes backed following by Hywel Dda University Health Board.
Last year, the Health Board consulted with its communities on options for change in critical care, dermatology, emergency general surgery, endoscopy, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, stroke, radiology and urology.
It said its Clinical Services Plan focuses on nine healthcare services that are “fragile and in need of change”.
At the launch of the consultation it said the services, and potential changes at the four main hospitals of Haverfordwest’s Withybush, Carmarthen’s Glangwili, Llanelli’s Prince Philip and Aberystwyth’s Bronglais, would see no changes to how people access emergency care (A&E) or minor injury care as part of the consultation.
These nine clinical services were selected because of risks to them being able to continue to offer safe, high-quality services, or care in a timely manner, the board has previously said.
The proposed changes included an option for Withybush patients needing specialist critical care being transferred to Glangwili.
Another option, in Ceredigion, included the loss of Bronglais’s stroke service, becoming a ‘treat and transfer’ hospital, with patients transferred to other hospitals in the board area, including Withybush for their inpatient stroke care.
During the consultation, communities shared an additional 190 alternative ideas for the services, which have been narrowed down to 22 alternatives to the multiple options outlined in the consultation.
At a two-day meeting into the proposed changes, held on February 18 and 19, the board backed changes into emergency general surgery which will see no emergency general surgery operations taking place at Withybush, but a strengthening of the same-day emergency care (SDEC).
For the other three hospitals, there would be no change in emergency general surgery provision, other than a strengthening of SDEC at Glangwili.
Members stressed the changes would not happen overnight, with the board hearing from chief executive Phil Kloer the changes were about “improving the quality of service for the public,” adding a Pembrokeshire public-preferred option of emergency general surgery operations taking place on alternate weeks, with a similar arrangement at Glangwili, had raised concerns from clinicians and managers.
The Board also backed changes to the critical care service, which will see the current intensive care units situation remaining the same at all hospitals other than Prince Philip, which will see the Intensive care unit (with transfer of sickest patients) changed to an enhanced care unit.
Reacting to the change, local Senedd member Paul Davies MS: “I’m appalled that Hywel Dda University Health Board has voted to remove general emergency services from Withybush hospital – but I’m not surprised.
“The Health Board is obsessed with removing services from Pembrokeshire and has spent years downgrading and removing services from Withybush hospital. As one constituent has rightly said, the Board should be rebranded the Carmarthenshire Health Board, as it continues to strip assets from other hospitals in west Wales.”
He added: “Removing general emergency services critically undermines the sustainability of Withybush hospital’s A&E department and will result in patients having to be transported for urgent treatment.
“This is not acceptable – I will be taking this to the Welsh Government and urging Ministers to intervene and stop the Health Board from making this catastrophic decision.”
-
Health3 days agoWithybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision
-
Health3 days agoHealth board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales
-
Health2 days agoConcerns grow over Bronglais stroke plans as politicians demand clarity
-
Health3 days agoHealth board: Changes will bring “resilience and sustainability” to West Wales services
-
Business5 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Community6 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Business6 days agoSvitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute
-
Crime6 days agoMan who attacked woman outside Milford Haven bar ‘shows no remorse whatsoever’








