Connect with us


Shoppers turned off by Faitrade cost



MORE than half of shoppers in Wales are put off buying ethical products because they’re too expensive, new research has revealed.

The survey, commissioned by the Fairtrade Foundation ahead of Fairtrade Fortnight also found that 19% of consumers don’t buy ethical products because they “don’t trust claims” made about ethically-sourced products.

The new research has shown that 87% of shoppers in Wales think that price is an important factor when considering where to shop. This is followed by the quality of products (81%), the location (71%) and then the ethical credentials of the store (45%).

Almost half of respondents (47%) were unaware of exploitation in the food chain. More than a quarter (29%) of consumers in Wales admit to never thinking about who produces their food and drink. Only 6% of the survey admitted to ‘always’ thinking about who produces their food and drink.

When it comes to the Fairtrade products that we are buying, the top most purchased is – unsurprisingly – bananas with 30% of us buying them. Second is coffee at 30% and third is tea at 21%. With banana sales in the UK expected to reach 820,000 tonnes this year (that’s over 1,500 Boeing 747’s), can more be done to encourage Brits to buy Fairtrade?

The research was released to mark the start of the Fairtrade Fortnight “Come On In” campaign, inviting members of the public to “come on in” to Fairtrade and experience the world of the people who produce the things we love to eat, drink, and wear.

The campaign will also explore how businesses, farmers, workers and shoppers come together through Fairtrade to break the stranglehold of poverty prices.


New fund for tourism



Exploring more of Wales: The little big country

A €2M project to encourage more visitors to explore lesser known areas of Ireland and Wales has been announced by the Minister for Culture, Tourism and Sport, Dafydd Elis-Thomas on Monday, February 26.

The Celtic Routes project, backed by €1.6m of EU funds, aims to encourage visitors to explore new areas of Wales and Ireland en route to their final tourist destination.

Led by Carmarthenshire County Council, the project will focus on the areas of Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion in Wales and Waterford, Wicklow and Wexford in Ireland.

The Celtic Routes project aims to transform less well known areas from transit zones to new touring sites, increasing the time visitors spend in these regions and capitalising on the opportunities to boost local economies.

Minister for Culture, Tourism and Sport, Dafydd Elis-Thomas AM, said: “Celtic Routes is a great example of EU funds being used to benefit cross border areas in Ireland and Wales by encouraging visitors to explore the local scenery, hospitality and culture of wider regions , and not just tourist hot spots. By helping to increase visitor numbers, the project will stimulate economic growth and both create and safeguard jobs in the cultural, heritage and tourism sectors.

“In light of Brexit it is more important than ever that we support and celebrate the strong Celtic links between our two countries.”

The project will be developed through customer research, trade events and workshops as well as cross border visits by businesses in Ireland and Wales to bring together expertise and ideas.

The aim is to increase the visitor appeal of the targeted areas, including through the development of new trails linking local culture, heritage and the natural environment.

This exciting new initiative will complement The Wales Way, a ten-year strategic initiative launched to the international market last year, to celebrate a range of existing and planned routes and give visitors from around the world the confidence to explore more of Wales.

Irish Government Minister for Finance and Public Expenditure & Reform, Paschal Donohoe TD, said: “Tourism is one of Ireland’s most important economic sectors and has significant potential to play a further role in Ireland’s economic renewal. On the weekend we welcome Welsh rugby fans to Lansdowne Road, the Celtic Routes project shows how EU funding can support tourism development in a cross-border context to the benefit of both countries.”

Cllr Peter Hughes Griffiths, executive board member for culture, sport and tourism for Carmarthenshire County Council, said: “We have a fantastic opportunity to attract people who are passing through south Wales and Ireland as they travel to their final destination. We want people to stop and appreciate the amazing beauty of the countryside and coast, visit our vast array of attractions and stay, eat and enjoy as our guests before they travel on. Hopefully they will come back time and time again, and tell the world about what we have to offer.”

The Celtic Routes project is part-funded by the EU’s Ireland Wales Co-operation Programme, which supports collaboration between Ireland and Wales to address common economic and social challenges and opportunities.

Continue Reading


Bidder drops out of rail franchise race



On track: Tender process continues as another bidder withdraws

ONE of the bidders for the Wales and Borders rail franchise has withdrawn from the process.

Abellio Rail Cymru (ARC) was originally in partnership with stricken construction and services giant Carillion.

When Carillion entered liquidation, Transport for Wales asked ARC to provide a proposal which demonstrated that ARC could still deliver the Final Tender without changing essential elements of it.

The liquidator has since been in discussion with a number of parties to sell Carillion Rail and to secure jobs, and it was possible that through this process, ARC could have secured the relevant capability.

However, ARC’s hopes to acquire the franchise were ended by the purchase of Carillion’s rail operations by a member of rival consortium bidding for the rail franchise.

Whilst this has safeguarded a number of jobs in Carillion Rail, it left ARC unable to secure the capability it would need to proceed.

As a result, on the evening of Thursday, February 22, ARC informed Transport for Wales of its intention to withdraw from the process.

Commenting on ARC’s withdrawal from the tender process, Economy Secretary Ken Skates said: “I want to express my thanks to the ARC team for their hard work during the process. It is unfortunate that, having invested significant time, effort and money into the process that they should be a further victim of the liquidation of Carillion.

“We have two strong bidders remaining in the process and remain on target to award this exciting contract in May 2018 and to transform rail services in Wales and borders from October 2018.”

Commenting, Russell George AM, Welsh Conservative Shadow Secretary for Economy and Transport, said: “It’s very concerning to see yet another major bidder pull out of the bidding at this late stage.

“We need absolute assurance from Welsh Government that the remaining two bidders are sufficiently able to deliver on the franchise’s objectives and are not also vulnerable to Carillion’s collapse.

“Any support required by the remaining bidders should be provided by Ministers so that they remain on track to awarding this contract in May.”

Of four original tenders, only two remain for the new rail franchise. Current operator Arriva Trains Wales withdrew its interest in October.

Continue Reading


Enterprise Zones to be reorganised



Enterprise Zone: 'Little to show for the money', claim Conservatives

ECONOMY Secretary, Ken Skates has announced an intention to streamline the operation of Wales’ eight Enterprise Zones while increasing their focus on delivering prosperity for Welsh communities.

During an appearance at the Economy, Infrastructure and Skills Committee, Ken Skates announced the conclusions of his review of the governance of Wales’ Enterprise Zones while stressing his commitment to the continuation of all eight of the zones.

Speaking after Committee, Ken Skates said: “I am very proud of the achievements and success of our Enterprise Zones and grateful for the hard work and commitment of the Chairs and Advisory Boards in driving their success.

“Collectively our Enterprise Zones supported over 10,700 jobs to the end of the last financial year at a cost per job of less than £6k per job, and whilst the pace of delivery has varied between the Zones, this very much reflects each Zone’s economic context and starting position.

“All eight Enterprise Zones have made significant progress, and are continuing to deliver value for money by laying the foundation for future prosperity and creating the right environment to support the development of sustainable job opportunities in communities right across Wales, both in the short and longer term.

“The changes I have outlined are about streamlining bureaucracy and utilising other governance structures where I believe that represents the most sensible way forward. They have also been made as part of a wider review of advisory architecture across my portfolio.

“The views of the Chairs of the Enterprise Zones have been invaluable in shaping my decisions.”

Mr Skates announced that f​our of the eight boards that advise the government on Wales’ enterprise zones are to be wound up this summer. The boards overseeing the zones in Cardiff, St Athan, Deeside and Ebbw Vale will cease to exist from July 31. But the zones themselves – designed to support business growth with some tax incentives – will continue to exist.

Boards in Port Talbot and West Wales will continue, while those for Snowdonia and Anglesey will merge.

Mr Skates also said more enterprise zones could be created, in places such as Wrexham.

Responding to Ken Skates’ comments, Welsh Conservative leader, Andrew RT Davies, said:​ ​“Labour’s enterprise zones have cost the Welsh taxpayer hundreds of millions of pounds – with very little to show for the money and Welsh workers still receiving the lowest average weekly wage in the UK.

“The Cabinet Secretary’s comments indicate the Welsh Government might well continue down the road of Enterprise Zones, potentially throwing good money after bad.

“The approach outlined by Ken Skates seems haphazard at best, utterly shambolic at worst and certainly does not fit into the rhetoric of the Welsh Government’s recently launched economic action plan. Some new enterprise zones are to be created, some boards are to merge, and some wound up altogether!

“The Welsh Government must now make clear its long term plans for the zones and ensure that any future funding produces tangible economic results for Wales and our local communities.”

Wales’ eight Enterprise Zones were first launched in April 2012. The then Cabinet Secretary for Business, Edwina Hart, stated that “My aim in developing enterprise zones is to strengthen the competitiveness of the Welsh economy.​”​

Since the creation of the zones, £221 million of public funds have been allocated to support that policy initiative. Despite huge injections of public funds however, serious questions remain as to whether the Enterprise Zones have delivered their key objectives:

In the Ebbw Vale Enterprise Zone £94.6 million has been spent to create, safeguard or assist just 390 jobs (at a cost of around £250,000 per job)

In the Snowdonia Enterprise Zone £2.1 million has been spent to create, safeguarded or assist just 20 jobs (at a cost of £108,333 a job)

A further issue is the question of whether or not Enterprise Zones have come close to fulfilling their original intent.

Enterprise Zones were set up by the Welsh Government to ‘grow the local economy and provide new jobs’.

However, while Mr Skates claims that over 10,700 jobs were ‘supported’, Welsh Government figures suggest that, in practice, the zones have not been used to create new jobs.

The average cost of each new job created by Enterprise Zones has been £74,000

The St Athan Enterprise Zone was supposed to deliver 10,000 jobs by 2025 – but in five years the number of new jobs actually created was 137.

In Ebbw Vale, £94 million has been spent on just 175 new jobs, the equivalent of £500,000 a head.

In Snowdonia, £2.1 million has been spent on creating 6 new jobs.

Looking at the figures revealed for the Haven Enterprise Zone, reveals that 356 jobs have been created, 561.5 safeguarded, and 196 assisted: 1,113.5 jobs.

Using a crude measure – the total number of jobs involved came at a cost of under £8,500 each. However, under one third of those jobs are the sort of new jobs the Enterprise Zone was supposed to create.

Continue Reading
News1 day ago

Funeral of Kiara Moore to take place on her birthday

THE FUNERAL of Kiara Moore, the two-year-old who tragically died in the River Teifi in Cardigan on Monday (Mar 19),...

News1 day ago

Audit Committee will not make police response public

MEMBERS of the Audit Committee have given an undertaking not to disclose a letter from Dyfed-Powys Police relating to the...

News2 days ago

Haverfordwest Museum under threat as Town Council pull plug

HAVERFORDWEST MUSEUM faces an uncertain future, The Herald can reveal. At a meeting of Haverfordwest Town Council at which funding...

News2 days ago

Fishguard: Rise in parking charges branded ‘an absolute disgrace’

RESIDENTS of Fishguard have been debating the recent price hike for parking charges at the West Street car park, with...

News2 days ago

Police warn online trolls over ‘malicious’ Kiara comments

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have warned online trolls that they may take action against malicious comments relating to Kiara Moore, the 2-year-old...

News2 days ago

Cabinet supports three-weekly waste collections

PEMBROKESHIRE ​COUNTY COUNCIL’S Cabinet has unanimously supported the move to a three-weekly waste collection service. Cabinet members met on Monday...

News4 days ago

Two-year-old’s mother says she will ‘live with guilt’ following tragic death

THE MOTHER of Kiara Moore, a two-year-old girl who sadly died following an incident in the River Teifi in Cardigan...

News4 days ago

Pembroke Dock police urge caution following vehicle thefts

PEMBROKE DOCK police officers are investigating a number of reports of stolen vehicles and thefts of property from inside unlocked...

News4 days ago

Man charged with charity box theft

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have charged a Pembroke Dock man with the theft of a Morgan’s Fight charity box. Robert Williams, aged...

News5 days ago

Child airlifted to hospital after stolen car ends up in River Teifi

A THREE-YEAR-OLD is receiving medical attention in Cardiff after being in a car which was stolen in Carmarthenshire, and which...

Popular This Week