News
‘Devious’ fraudster jailed again
A LETTERSTON man jailed in July for assaulting his mother, has been jailed again for fraud.
William John Thomas, aged 55, received a 32 month sentence in the summer but more offending was being investigated.
Swansea crown court heard this week how Thomas, of Station Road, Letterston, prior to his arrest, had received £100,000 as his share of a divorce settlement following the sale of a property.
He also received an annuity payment of £3,000 and two pensions paying him about £1,200 a year.
He had £90,000 in savings left when, in May 2008, he applied for income support and told the Department for Work and Pensions he was broke. Thomas repeated the lie until 2013 when he was found out.
Thomas was paid a total of £5,802 he had not been entitled to because his savings had been above the limit.
Judge Paul Thomas heard that as the DWP closed in Thomas sent them a letter “from his GP” saying he was too ill to be interviewed for at least six months.
But although it appeared to be on the letterhead of his surgery it was a forgery. The court also heard that Thomas was carrying out a bizarre fraud on the John Lewis retail partnership.
Thomas sent “numerous” e-mails to 22 stores claiming he had received faulty products and 14 stores sent him household goods ranging from steak knives to food processors as “replacements” even though he had not actually bought anything in the first place.
Again, Thomas tried to fool police by producing e-mails showing he traded on-line with retailers like Comet and British Home Stores. But they, too, had been faked by Thomas.
He admitted both frauds and twice attempting to pervert the course of justice. His barrister, Ieuan Rees, said Thomas had not been in trouble with the law until he was 49 when his marriage broke up in.
He said Thomas suffered from depression, had attempted suicide and was finding jail difficult to deal with. Judge Thomas said Thomas’ unpleasant assault on his own mother showed he was a violent man.
“But you are greedy and dishonest as well.
“To get yourself off the hook you calculatedly and deviously falsified documents.
“You have gone off the rails in a fairly spectacular way in recent years,” he added.
Thomas was jailed for an additional 10 months, making the sentence he is serving now one of three and a half years.
Local Government
Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed
THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been published.
Nominations have now closed, and the official Statement of Persons Nominated has been released by the local authority.
Eight candidates will contest the seat. They are:
- Derrick Abbott – Independent
- Sam Booth – Wales Green Party
- Lee James Bridges – Independent
- Duncan Edwards – Independent
- Nicola Catherine Harteveld – Welsh Labour
- Brian Taylor – Welsh Conservative Party
- Scott Thorley – Reform UK
- Sam Warden – Welsh Liberal Democrats
The by-election will take place on Tuesday, March 17.
Residents wishing to vote must ensure they are registered by midnight on Friday, February 27. Applications can be made online via the UK Government website.
Applications for new postal votes, or changes to existing postal voting arrangements, must be received by 5:00pm on Monday, March 2. Applications to vote by proxy must be submitted by 5:00pm on Monday, March 9.
Poll cards will be sent to registered electors ahead of the election. The council has confirmed that registered 16 and 17-year-olds, along with qualifying foreign nationals, are eligible to vote in this election.
Photographic identification will not be required at polling stations.
The full Statement of Persons Nominated, including full party descriptions, is available on the Pembrokeshire County Council website.
Local Government
Independent Group reshuffle as council tax budget battle looms
Leadership change confirmed weeks before key vote amid warning over school cuts
PEMBROKESHIRE County Council’s Independent Group has confirmed a change in its leadership arrangements following a meeting held on Tuesday (Feb 18), with the changes taking effect from March 23, 2026.

Cllr Anji Tinley will become Group Leader, while Cllr Elwyn Morse will serve as Deputy Group Leader and take on the role of Chair of the Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee. Cllr Michael John will remain Chair of the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee, and Cllr Huw Murphy will become Chair of the Social Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee.
The changes reflect the forthcoming appointment of Cllr Delme Harries as Chair of Council at the Annual Meeting on May 15. Under council rules, the Chair of Council cannot simultaneously hold a scrutiny chair role.
The Independent Group also confirmed it will not support the Cabinet’s proposed budget, which includes a 4.6% council tax rise for 2026/27 and a 2% reduction — approximately £2 million — in individual school budgets.
Group members said they hoped councillors across the chamber could work together to agree a budget that avoids cuts to education, particularly in light of recent Estyn inspections that have placed three schools into special measures with safeguarding concerns identified.
However, the Group warned that if a budget is approved that imposes what it described as substantial school funding reductions, it will consider invoking constitutional powers to bring forward a motion to rescind the decision.
Crime
Man who threw corrosive liquid at guest and fled abroad jailed
A BUSINESSMAN who threw a corrosive liquid into a guest’s face during a row at a spiritual retreat before fleeing the country has been jailed for 18 months.
Dean Mayze, aged 38, from Abercrave in Powys, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm following the attack at his Hafan-y-Coed retreat in December 2022.
Swansea Crown Court heard the assault happened after an argument with guest Keifer Price, who had complained about the condition of his accommodation, including a lack of heating and washing facilities.
During the confrontation, Mayze produced a blue container and threw its contents upwards into the victim’s face.
The liquid — described as smelling like ammonia — entered Mr Price’s eyes, nose and mouth, leaving him in severe pain and struggling to breathe.
Medical evidence confirmed injuries consistent with a chemical burn to both eyes. He suffered abrasions, a corneal defect and the loss of the outer corneal layer in one eye, requiring significant treatment to prevent permanent sight loss. He has since recovered without lasting injury.
Fled across Europe
Following the attack, Mayze fled the UK, triggering an international search.
The court heard he travelled across several European countries, including Ireland, France, Italy, Croatia and Greece, before eventually being arrested in Romania in 2025.
Despite being on the run, he remained in regular contact with police by text and email, at one point telling officers he would not be returning to Wales.
His partner initially claimed responsibility for the assault and later received a suspended prison sentence after admitting perverting the course of justice.
Previous conviction
The court was told Mayze has a previous conviction for wounding involving a corrosive substance in Kent in 2013.
Defence barrister Andrew Taylor said his client had experienced harsh conditions while detained in Romania, including contracting scabies without treatment, and described him as remorseful.
However, Judge Geraint Walters said it was “pure luck” the victim had not suffered permanent injuries, describing the attack as a “particularly wicked way of inflicting violence”.
Sentence and order
Mayze, who appeared via video link from prison, had previously denied a more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
He was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment and made subject to a three-year restraining order.
-
Business2 days agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime6 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community3 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Education6 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community5 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
News6 days agoClimber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall
-
Crime7 days agoPendine man jailed for abducting and drugging teenage girl
-
Health7 days agoWelsh pharmacies forced to sell medicines at a loss as funding model buckles










Lisa Jayne Thomas
November 25, 2013 at 7:58 pm
Oh no you’ve removed my comment, what a shame…
Not a very good news paper removing people’s thoughts/opinions..
Just proved what a sly, bullying paper you are!
Your papers a load of shit, what a waste of ink!
Oh and by the way, remove this and another one will be going up again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again AND AGAIN 🙂
security guard badge regulations by state
January 5, 2026 at 10:13 pm
I love how you addressed this issue. Very insightful!