Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Cabinet ignore councillor’s request

Published

on

cabinet ignore requestCABINET members discussed the possibility of merging Hakin and Hubberston schools into one, but ignored a request from another councillor at a Cabinet meeting on Monday.

Councillor Vivien Stoddart’s request for a second option to be considered was ignored. Cllr Stoddart asked that the director consult on a second option to maintain the status quo but only one option was discussed.

This was in contrast to the next item on the Cabinet agenda which gave nine options to be considered for Ysgol Dewi Sant in St David’s. Councillor James Adams even added a tenth option to that list after rushing through the solitary option on the previous item.

Cllr Stoddart gave a copy of an e-mail to the Herald which she had sent to all the cabinet members in the hope they would discuss it. Her
message reads:
“Two years ago, Hakin infants and Junior Schools joined together to create Hakin Community School. This amalgamation was based on the promise of a new school, but they continue to operate on two sites. This is not satisfactory. Hakin needs and deserved a new school. This is not
in doubt, and a new school will be welcomed by everyone.

“I read that you are being recommended, with regard to Ysgol Dewi Sant, that the director consult on options for the future. One of the options is to keep the status quo. The focus of the initial consultations for the future of Hakin and Hubberston schools was the question: ‘Should Hubberston VC School join with Hakin Community School?’

“It was this question that was at the heart of the early summer consultation with parents, staff and governors of both schools. The response of the overwhelming majority of the school community in Hubberston was to decline the invitation to join with Hakin. They wish to maintain the status quo.”

At the meeting on Monday, councillors gave their opinions but the email from Cllr Stoddart was not even mentioned. Councillor Ken Rowlands
said:

“We must consider the benefits that will come to the area.”

Councillor James Adams added:

“What must be remembered is that this is an investment in children, other areas have delivered first class schools.

“Both schools are doing well at the moment and there is nothing to suggest that a larger school wouldn’t continue that success”.

After the meeting Cllr Vivien Stoddart said:

“I was disappointed that Cabinet on Monday ignored my request for a second option with regard to the possible amalgamation of Hakin and Hubberston schools.

“I emailed all Cabinet members last week asking that, in addition to the recommendation before them, that ‘consultations be held on merging the
two schools to provide a single all-through English medium Church in Wales voluntary controlled primary school,’ they also consider consulting on a second option of retaining the status quo.

“My request was not even mentioned when Cabinet approved the single recommendation on the table before them. My suggestion had disappeared in to a County Hall black hole of silence.

“This was a discourtesy to all those of Hubberston school’s community, who took the trouble to attend consultation meetings, and the 30-plus parents who wrote to the director of education expressing their opposition to the merger.”

In the report put before the council
it says:

“The provision of a high quality new school would enable the two schools to pool their range of expertise and experience to provide educational experiences of the highest quality and effectively meet the broad range of individual needs of all pupils currently”.

A consultation period will now begin but the plans are likely to come under strong opposition.

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Local Government

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

Published

on

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been published.

Nominations have now closed, and the official Statement of Persons Nominated has been released by the local authority.

Eight candidates will contest the seat. They are:

  • Derrick Abbott – Independent
  • Sam Booth – Wales Green Party
  • Lee James Bridges – Independent
  • Duncan Edwards – Independent
  • Nicola Catherine Harteveld – Welsh Labour
  • Brian Taylor – Welsh Conservative Party
  • Scott Thorley – Reform UK
  • Sam Warden – Welsh Liberal Democrats

The by-election will take place on Tuesday, March 17.

Residents wishing to vote must ensure they are registered by midnight on Friday, February 27. Applications can be made online via the UK Government website.

Applications for new postal votes, or changes to existing postal voting arrangements, must be received by 5:00pm on Monday, March 2. Applications to vote by proxy must be submitted by 5:00pm on Monday, March 9.

Poll cards will be sent to registered electors ahead of the election. The council has confirmed that registered 16 and 17-year-olds, along with qualifying foreign nationals, are eligible to vote in this election.

Photographic identification will not be required at polling stations.

The full Statement of Persons Nominated, including full party descriptions, is available on the Pembrokeshire County Council website.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Independent Group reshuffle as council tax budget battle looms

Published

on

Leadership change confirmed weeks before key vote amid warning over school cuts

PEMBROKESHIRE County Council’s Independent Group has confirmed a change in its leadership arrangements following a meeting held on Tuesday (Feb 18), with the changes taking effect from March 23, 2026.

Cllr Anji Tinley

Cllr Anji Tinley will become Group Leader, while Cllr Elwyn Morse will serve as Deputy Group Leader and take on the role of Chair of the Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee. Cllr Michael John will remain Chair of the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee, and Cllr Huw Murphy will become Chair of the Social Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

The changes reflect the forthcoming appointment of Cllr Delme Harries as Chair of Council at the Annual Meeting on May 15. Under council rules, the Chair of Council cannot simultaneously hold a scrutiny chair role.

The Independent Group also confirmed it will not support the Cabinet’s proposed budget, which includes a 4.6% council tax rise for 2026/27 and a 2% reduction — approximately £2 million — in individual school budgets.

Group members said they hoped councillors across the chamber could work together to agree a budget that avoids cuts to education, particularly in light of recent Estyn inspections that have placed three schools into special measures with safeguarding concerns identified.

However, the Group warned that if a budget is approved that imposes what it described as substantial school funding reductions, it will consider invoking constitutional powers to bring forward a motion to rescind the decision.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Man who threw corrosive liquid at guest and fled abroad jailed

Published

on

A BUSINESSMAN who threw a corrosive liquid into a guest’s face during a row at a spiritual retreat before fleeing the country has been jailed for 18 months.

Dean Mayze, aged 38, from Abercrave in Powys, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm following the attack at his Hafan-y-Coed retreat in December 2022.

Swansea Crown Court heard the assault happened after an argument with guest Keifer Price, who had complained about the condition of his accommodation, including a lack of heating and washing facilities.

During the confrontation, Mayze produced a blue container and threw its contents upwards into the victim’s face.

The liquid — described as smelling like ammonia — entered Mr Price’s eyes, nose and mouth, leaving him in severe pain and struggling to breathe.

Medical evidence confirmed injuries consistent with a chemical burn to both eyes. He suffered abrasions, a corneal defect and the loss of the outer corneal layer in one eye, requiring significant treatment to prevent permanent sight loss. He has since recovered without lasting injury.

Fled across Europe

Following the attack, Mayze fled the UK, triggering an international search.

The court heard he travelled across several European countries, including Ireland, France, Italy, Croatia and Greece, before eventually being arrested in Romania in 2025.

Despite being on the run, he remained in regular contact with police by text and email, at one point telling officers he would not be returning to Wales.

His partner initially claimed responsibility for the assault and later received a suspended prison sentence after admitting perverting the course of justice.

Previous conviction

The court was told Mayze has a previous conviction for wounding involving a corrosive substance in Kent in 2013.

Defence barrister Andrew Taylor said his client had experienced harsh conditions while detained in Romania, including contracting scabies without treatment, and described him as remorseful.

However, Judge Geraint Walters said it was “pure luck” the victim had not suffered permanent injuries, describing the attack as a “particularly wicked way of inflicting violence”.

Sentence and order

Mayze, who appeared via video link from prison, had previously denied a more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

He was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment and made subject to a three-year restraining order.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government24 minutes ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime1 day ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community2 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime2 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business2 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime3 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government3 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News4 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health4 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime5 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Popular This Week