Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Family bike business to receive £77,000 after gang burglary

Published

on

Compensation ordered under Proceeds of Crime Act following seven-minute raid that stole £90,000 worth of bikes

AN INDEPENDENT bike shop in Aberystwyth is set to receive nearly £77,350 under the Proceeds of Crime Act after its family-run business was targeted in a sophisticated burglary last year.

Four burglars wearing balaclavas smashed their way into Afan Cycles on the Glanyrafon Industrial Estate in the early hours of Saturday, April 12, 2025. Within just seven minutes, they stole 22 e-bikes and mountain bikes with a combined retail value of around £90,000, loading them into a van fitted with false number plates before fleeing the scene.

Following a complex investigation involving multiple police departments, officers were able to identify those responsible. Gareth Corbett, 37, Wayne Draisy, 41, Gavin Johnson, 40, and Keith Johnson, 33 — all from Birmingham — were arrested by West Mercia Police.

The group had conspired to steal bikes and other items from the Glanyrafon estate between April 7 and April 13, 2025. All four were charged with burglary and conspiracy to commit burglary and were remanded in custody. They pleaded guilty to both charges at Swansea Crown Court on Monday, May 19, 2025.

The business owner said: “We have built Afan Bikes over seven years with commitment, passion, and significant financial investment. This crime placed the business — and the livelihoods of our three full-time staff, myself, my wife, and our dependants — in a precarious position.

“While we are doing our best to keep going, the loss of assets, staff, income, and customer confidence has made this the most difficult period we have ever faced. Recovery will take time, resources, and community support — and even then, the future remains uncertain.

“We are grateful to the police for their swift response and hope that this statement provides a clear understanding of how far-reaching the impact of this crime has been, not just on our business, but on the wider community we support.”

On Friday (Aug 8, 2025), all four men were jailed for their roles in the burglary, receiving sentences of more than 30 months’ imprisonment for each offence, to run concurrently.

At Swansea Crown Court on Thursday (Feb 12), Proceeds of Crime Act proceedings were finalised. His Honour Judge Walters granted confiscation orders totalling £77,348.16, to be paid as compensation to the victims. Failure to pay could result in an additional 18-month prison sentence, alongside the forced sale of assets.

Helen Kelly, from the Economic Crime Team, said: “For this local family-run business, this incident had a significant impact. Whilst it will not fix what has happened, hopefully the compensation from this proceeding will help them in continuing to rebuild their business.

“I hope this sentencing serves as a reminder that if you are profiting from crime, we will not only arrest and charge you but use all available powers to ensure that you are not able to live off the proceeds of your criminal activity.”

 

Crime

Man who threw corrosive liquid at guest and fled abroad jailed

Published

on

A BUSINESSMAN who threw a corrosive liquid into a guest’s face during a row at a spiritual retreat before fleeing the country has been jailed for 18 months.

Dean Mayze, aged 38, from Abercrave in Powys, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm following the attack at his Hafan-y-Coed retreat in December 2022.

Swansea Crown Court heard the assault happened after an argument with guest Keifer Price, who had complained about the condition of his accommodation, including a lack of heating and washing facilities.

During the confrontation, Mayze produced a blue container and threw its contents upwards into the victim’s face.

The liquid — described as smelling like ammonia — entered Mr Price’s eyes, nose and mouth, leaving him in severe pain and struggling to breathe.

Medical evidence confirmed injuries consistent with a chemical burn to both eyes. He suffered abrasions, a corneal defect and the loss of the outer corneal layer in one eye, requiring significant treatment to prevent permanent sight loss. He has since recovered without lasting injury.

Fled across Europe

Following the attack, Mayze fled the UK, triggering an international search.

The court heard he travelled across several European countries, including Ireland, France, Italy, Croatia and Greece, before eventually being arrested in Romania in 2025.

Despite being on the run, he remained in regular contact with police by text and email, at one point telling officers he would not be returning to Wales.

His partner initially claimed responsibility for the assault and later received a suspended prison sentence after admitting perverting the course of justice.

Previous conviction

The court was told Mayze has a previous conviction for wounding involving a corrosive substance in Kent in 2013.

Defence barrister Andrew Taylor said his client had experienced harsh conditions while detained in Romania, including contracting scabies without treatment, and described him as remorseful.

However, Judge Geraint Walters said it was “pure luck” the victim had not suffered permanent injuries, describing the attack as a “particularly wicked way of inflicting violence”.

Sentence and order

Mayze, who appeared via video link from prison, had previously denied a more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

He was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment and made subject to a three-year restraining order.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Police appeal after man injured in St Davids incident

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses following an incident in St Davids which left one man injured.

The incident happened in Nun Street at around 11:10am on Tuesday, December 30. The injured man was taken to hospital for treatment.

Officers confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident.

Police are now asking anyone with information, dash cam footage, or CCTV that could assist the investigation to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online at:
https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us-beta/contact-us/

Alternatively, email [email protected], send a direct message via social media, or call 101 quoting reference DP20251230094.

Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Sexual assault allegation to be tried

Published

on

Accused granted conditional bail

A SEXUAL assault allegation has been listed for trial following a hearing before magistrates.

David Fletcher, 45, of Chestnut Way, Mount Estate, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Feb 12) charged with sexual assault, contrary to section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

The charge alleges that on March 16, 2025, at Johnston, Pembrokeshire, he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over and that the touching was sexual when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe that she was consenting.

The matter was adjourned for trial and Fletcher was remanded on conditional bail.

The trial is listed for March 9, 2026 at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court. Bail conditions prohibit him from entering a specified premises in Johnston, from contacting directly or indirectly the complainant or any prosecution witnesses, and from posting any information relating to the investigation on social media. The conditions were imposed to prevent further offending and to prevent interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.

 

Continue Reading

Health15 minutes ago

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred...

Health19 hours ago

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been...

Health22 hours ago

Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision

Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to...

Local Government1 day ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime2 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community3 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime3 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business4 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime4 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government4 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

Popular This Week