Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Narberth man admits drink-driving

Published

on

haverfordwest magistratesA NARBERTH man appeared at Haverfordwest Magistrates court on Tuesday charged with drink driving.

Richard Lloyd Thomas, aged 34, of Old Mart Ground, pleaded guilty to the offence.

Prosecutor David Weale said: “Officers were travelling along Quay Street in Cardigan and saw defendant driving the wrong way around the one way system. The police thought it was strange, and turned in front of the oncoming car and then stopped it. They noticed the man had been driving, and the defendant tested positive in a roadside test.”

According to the prosecution, the defendant had 69mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. He is a man of clean character and also has a clean driving licence.

Defending, Mike Kelleher, said: “Thomas had been out earlier in the day but had gone home early. He had gone to bed at between nine and 9.30. He received a phone call from a friend who was stuck in Cardigan.

“He had believed that sufficient time had elapsed for the alcohol to have worn off, but he was unfortunately wrong. He is currently out of work and claiming ESA. He has worked as a courier in Somerset for the last ten years, and his plan was to open a similar business locally.

“But clearly now those plans have to wait because of the statutory ban. He is a candidate for the driver improvement course, which he is happy to complete.”

The magistrates said: “Taking into account your early guilty plea we are going to disqualify you from driving for 17 months. We will fine you a total of £285 including court costs.”

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ministers admit some 20mph limits too low — but reject policy U-turn

Published

on

What the document actually says — and what it does not

THE WELSH GOVERNMENT published a review in February 2026 examining the impact of the default 20mph speed limit on Wales’ trunk road network.

Trunk roads are major routes managed directly by the Welsh Government rather than by local authorities.

The review follows the introduction of Wales’ default 20mph policy in September 2023, which changed the default speed limit on restricted roads — generally those with street lighting — from 30mph to 20mph.

Importantly, the document is not a review of the entire national 20mph policy. Instead, it focuses specifically on whether certain sections of trunk road were appropriate at 20mph.

Key findings

Some trunk road sections may be unsuitable at 20mph

The Welsh Government acknowledges that when the default limit was introduced, it also affected certain trunk road sections that may be more suitable at higher speeds.

The review identifies locations where a return to 30mph is being considered.

Examples mentioned include sections of the A483 and A494.

These are proposals only. No automatic changes will occur.

The overall 20mph policy remains in place

The review does not recommend scrapping the default 20mph policy.

Instead, it forms part of an ongoing process to refine how the policy is applied in practice.

Guidance issued in 2024 already allowed local authorities to exempt roads from the 20mph limit where appropriate.

Implementation will take time

Any changes to trunk road speed limits require:

• Detailed assessment
• Safety checks
• Legal traffic orders
• Public consultation

As a result, any alterations are likely to take months or longer to complete.

Consideration of transition speeds

The review also examines whether transitions between 20mph and higher-speed roads should be improved to reduce driver confusion.

This could include the use of intermediate “buffer” speed limits where appropriate.

What the review does not say

The document does not state that:

• The national 20mph policy “went too far”
• The policy has failed
• The policy will be reversed
• The policy should be scrapped

Such claims are political interpretations rather than conclusions reached by the review itself.

Political reaction

The Welsh Conservatives have used the review to renew criticism of the policy.

Shadow Transport Secretary Sam Rowlands MS said the findings show the policy “went too far” and has harmed the Welsh economy.

He also referenced estimates suggesting a potential £9 billion economic impact — a figure previously cited in political debate around the policy.

The Welsh Government has consistently disputed claims of major economic harm.

Welsh Government position

Ministers maintain that the 20mph policy aims to:

• Reduce road collisions and injuries
• Improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists
• Encourage active travel
• Improve public health outcomes

Early government data has suggested reductions in collisions and casualties on roads where speeds were lowered.

Officials argue that refining limits on specific roads is part of normal policy development rather than evidence the policy itself is flawed.

Wider context

The default 20mph policy has been one of the most controversial transport measures introduced in Wales in recent years.

Public reaction has included petitions calling for reversal, political debate in the Senedd, local authority reviews of road classifications, and an ongoing national discussion about safety versus convenience.

The Welsh Government review confirms that some individual trunk road sections may have been set too low when the default 20mph policy was introduced.

However, the document does not conclude that the overall policy was a mistake.

Instead, it represents a refinement process, with possible targeted changes rather than any reversal of national policy.

Political parties continue to interpret the findings differently, reflecting the wider debate about speed limits in Wales.

The Cabinet Secretary confirmed the review is now complete and that targeted changes to some trunk road speed limits are being proposed following detailed assessment.

 

Continue Reading

News

Press regulator backs Herald reporting following Ajay Owen complaint

Published

on

THE UK’s independent press regulator has rejected a complaint from Ajay Owen about a Pembrokeshire Herald article, concluding there were no grounds to investigate any breach of the Editors’ Code of Practice.

The complaint related to an article published on November 25, 2025, headlined “SARS boss published children’s photos, named social-workers and claims ‘legal trafficking’”.

After reviewing the complaint, the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) determined that the concerns raised did not identify a possible breach of the Code, including allegations relating to accuracy and privacy.

Accuracy complaints dismissed

Mr Owen argued that the article was inaccurate in several respects, including references to photographs of children appearing in social media posts, concerns raised by residents, and the description of a contact number as a personal number.

IPSO found that where it was not disputed that posts included images containing children, it was not inaccurate or misleading to report that photographs of children had been published.

The regulator also concluded it was not significantly inaccurate to report that concerns had been raised by residents in both Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion, noting the central point was that community members had expressed concerns.

IPSO further found no significant inaccuracy in describing a contact number linked to the organisation as a personal number.

In relation to references to named social workers appearing in posts, IPSO noted that Mr Owen appeared to accept posting the names, and therefore it was not misleading to report concerns raised by residents about that action.

Mr Owen also alleged a breach of privacy over the publication of an image showing him alongside a logo and signature.

IPSO concluded that the photograph was clearly a public-facing professional headshot connected to his role, and therefore there was no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Because IPSO determined the complaint did not raise a possible breach of the Editors’ Code, the regulator decided there were no grounds to open a formal investigation.

Mr Owen has the right to request a review of the decision by IPSO’s Complaints Committee within seven days.

A spokesperson for The Herald said: “We welcome IPSO’s decision, which confirms that our reporting met the required standards of accuracy and responsible journalism.”

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

Published

on

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been published.

Nominations have now closed, and the official Statement of Persons Nominated has been released by the local authority.

Eight candidates will contest the seat. They are:

  • Derrick Abbott – Independent
  • Sam Booth – Wales Green Party
  • Lee James Bridges – Independent
  • Duncan Edwards – Independent
  • Nicola Catherine Harteveld – Welsh Labour
  • Brian Taylor – Welsh Conservative Party
  • Scott Thorley – Reform UK
  • Sam Warden – Welsh Liberal Democrats

The by-election will take place on Tuesday, March 17.

Residents wishing to vote must ensure they are registered by midnight on Friday, February 27. Applications can be made online via the UK Government website.

Applications for new postal votes, or changes to existing postal voting arrangements, must be received by 5:00pm on Monday, March 2. Applications to vote by proxy must be submitted by 5:00pm on Monday, March 9.

Poll cards will be sent to registered electors ahead of the election. The council has confirmed that registered 16 and 17-year-olds, along with qualifying foreign nationals, are eligible to vote in this election.

Photographic identification will not be required at polling stations.

The full Statement of Persons Nominated, including full party descriptions, is available on the Pembrokeshire County Council website.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government6 hours ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime2 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community2 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime2 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business3 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime3 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government3 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News4 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health5 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime5 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Popular This Week