Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Three year ban for drink driver

Published

on

haverfordwest magistratesA 77-YEAR-OLD Pembroke man was disqualified from driving by Haverfordwest magistrates on Tuesday.

Mr David Weale told the court that Gwyn Godfrey Brown, of Jogram Avenue, was stopped by police as he drove his Rover car along Jogram Avenue on October 28. He was found to have 66 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. He pleaded guilty.

Mr Kelleher, defending, told the court that Brown had been out for a celebratory meal with his partner and had overstepped the mark thinking that the food would absorbed some of the alcohol.

He continued by saying that Brown had a previous conviction, but refused to attend a drink driving course as he would not have been unable to get there, but would do so this time.

On giving a three year ban and fines totalling £215, magistrates told him to complete a drink driving course before reapplying for his licence.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Holiday conwoman duped families with fake Tenby breaks

Published

on

A WOMAN who tricked families into paying for non-existent caravan holidays in Tenby has avoided jail despite defrauding dozens of victims.

Rebecca Newcombe, aged 28, from Ebbw Vale, admitted to 35 counts of fraud after a three-year scam that ran between 2017 and 2020.

Newcombe used fake names on social media platforms including Facebook and Instagram to advertise cut-price getaways. She also ran a page called Cheap Bargains Galore, offering counterfeit designer clothes and accessories.

Newport Crown Court heard how the fraudster took out fake listings for holidays at sites including Tenby, Trecco Bay Holiday Park in Porthcawl, and Devon Cliffs in Exmouth.

Victims, many of whom were looking forward to family holidays, were left out of pocket—some losing hundreds of pounds—after Newcombe failed to deliver on her promises. When they arrived at the holiday parks, she would message them saying she was “on the way with the keys”, but never showed up.

Prosecutor Tabitha Walker told the court: “Excuses were made for the non-delivery of goods and services, and victims were promised refunds that never materialised. None of the items paid for were ever delivered.”

In total, Newcombe pocketed just under £8,000.

Statements from victims described the impact of the fraud, with one saying: “I feel utterly humiliated this has happened to me.” Others said they felt heartbroken, angry, and embarrassed by the ordeal.

Newcombe, of Canterbury Road, Beaufort, was previously jailed in 2017 for a similar offence.

Her barrister, Julia Cox, asked the court to consider the significant delay in bringing the matter to justice.

Judge Daniel Williams sentenced her to 18 months in prison, suspended for 24 months, citing a “realistic prospect of rehabilitation”.

She was also ordered to pay £1,000 in prosecution costs and a £140 victim surcharge.

Continue Reading

Business

Beggars Reach Hotel sold to local business family for £950,000

Published

on

A WELL KNOWN countryside hotel and event venue has been sold to local operators in a deal brokered by specialist business property adviser Christie & Co.

Beggars Reach Hotel, located in the village of Burton and set within seven acres of landscaped gardens, has been acquired by a local business family with a strong track record in hospitality and retail. The family also owns an established fish and chip restaurant in the seaside town of Tenby, as well as other commercial property interests in the region.

The popular hotel features 30 en-suite bedrooms, a restaurant, bistro-style breakfast room, and several function and event spaces – including a light-filled Orangery. With its sweeping views of the surrounding South West Wales countryside, Beggars Reach has become a sought-after venue for weddings, leisure breaks, and corporate events.

The property also holds planning permission for twenty additional guest rooms and a spa facility, offering the new owners scope for further development.

The transaction was supported by Christie Finance, who secured funding for the buyers within weeks of the sale being agreed.

Sam Roberts, Senior Broker at Christie & Co, said: “After the previous owner acquired the business through us early last year, unforeseen personal circumstances led to the need for a resale. We launched a full marketing campaign, which attracted strong interest, and we were able to secure a suitable buyer quickly. It has been a pleasure to assist with the sale of Beggars Reach for a second time, and we wish the new owners every success in taking the hotel forward.”

Tamara Ryan, Finance Consultant at Christie Finance, added: “It was an absolute pleasure to support our client with this acquisition. As an experienced and ambitious local business partnership, they have exciting plans for the hotel. We secured highly competitive funding within a few weeks of the offer being accepted, reflecting the strong appetite in the market for hotel investment.”

The hotel was sold off an asking price of £950,000.

Continue Reading

Crime

Man avoids jail despite possessing child abuse images

Published

on

A PEMBROKE DOCK man has been spared immediate custody after police found almost 70 indecent images of children on his mobile phone — including one image of a child aged around three whose hands and ankles were bound.

Andrew Davies, aged 36, was sentenced at Swansea Crown Court on Tuesday (Apr 1), having earlier pleaded guilty to three counts of possessing indecent photographs of children.

The court heard that officers from Dyfed-Powys Police executed a search warrant at Davies’ home on Brewery Street in November 2022. Davies was present at the property and handed over a mobile phone along with the PIN code to unlock it.

Upon examination of the device, officers discovered 67 illegal images. These included nine category A images — the most serious classification — 14 category B images, and 44 category C images. The images had been downloaded and stored in a password-protected application.

Prosecuting, Sian Cutter said one of the images showed a child estimated to be three years old with their limbs restrained. She told the court that all of the material was accessible on the device and had been intentionally downloaded.

In mitigation, defence barrister Ryan Bowen said Davies was “under no illusion as to the seriousness of his offending”. He said the offences dated back to 2019, and that the matter had been hanging over Davies for several years.

Mr Bowen added: “He has no previous convictions and is of otherwise good character. He accepts responsibility for his actions and has shown insight and a willingness to address his behaviour. There is a realistic prospect of rehabilitation.”

Sentencing, Her Honour Judge Catherine Richards told Davies: “The possession and viewing of child sexual abuse images causes direct harm to real children. It is a very serious aggravating factor that some of the images involve children as young as three.”

Davies was handed three prison terms of eight, four and two months, to run concurrently, making a total of eight months. The sentence was suspended for two years.

He must complete 200 hours of unpaid work and attend 25 rehabilitation activity days. He was also ordered to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for 10 years.

Continue Reading

Business11 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime18 hours ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News19 hours ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business24 hours ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News1 day ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Crime3 days ago

Pembrokeshire farm worker accused of threatening to burn employer’s farm 

A PEMBROKESHIRE farm worker has appeared before magistrates charged with threatening to burn his employer’s 375-acre estate and threatening to...

Popular This Week