Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Minister tackles immigration matters on Pembrokeshire visit

Published

on

immigration mattersIMMIGRATION MINISTER, Mark Harper MP, visited Pembrokeshire last week to discuss the impact of immigration locally and across the UK.

Mark was guest speaker on Friday night at a curry club run by local MP Stephen Crabb and hosted by the Taj Mahal restaurant in Haverfordwest.

The packed event was attended by fifty business people, health professionals and individuals from across the County. The Minister gave a short talk about his role in Government and the challenge of securing UK borders.

During the Question & Answer session, the Minister was asked about tougher visa controls, how to prevent abuse of public services, but also how to ensure that the local economy benefits from skilled foreign labour.

In reply, the Minister said,“As Immigration Minister I have two priorities – reducing net immigration to sustainable levels, to the tens of thousands from the hundreds of thousands under Labour. And making sure the right people are coming to Britain – the brightest and the best coming here to study, to work and to create businesses and jobs.”

Commenting on the visit, Stephen Crabb said, “I was really pleased that Mark was able to come to Pembrokeshire to listen to the views of local people about this important issue and also to enjoy a great local curry. I know that Mark found the visit very helpful and will take on board the points raised.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Former police superintendent dismissed for gross misconduct

Published

on

Misogynistic behaviour spanned three years, hearing told

A FORMER senior officer has been dismissed from Dyfed-Powys Police following a gross misconduct hearing which found he had engaged in inappropriate and misogynistic behaviour towards female colleagues.

Gary Davies, who held the rank of Superintendent, had been suspended since July 2022 while an investigation was carried out into a series of allegations relating to his conduct between 2017 and 2020.

A Gross Misconduct Hearing was held at Dyfed-Powys Police Headquarters between 24 March and 4 April 2025. The hearing was chaired by Legally Qualified Chair, Mr Oliver Thorne.

The panel found that Davies had breached multiple standards of professional behaviour, including Authority, Respect and Courtesy, Discreditable Conduct, and Equality and Diversity. As a result, he has been dismissed from the force and placed on the College of Policing Barred List, which prevents him from returning to the police service.

Deputy Chief Constable Ifan Charles, who serves as the Appropriate Authority for complaints and misconduct within Dyfed-Powys Police, issued a formal statement following the outcome.

He said:
“Dyfed-Powys Police expects the highest standards of professional behaviour from its officers and staff, both on and off duty – and especially from those in senior leadership roles.
“I apologise to the former and current officers and staff who were subjected to inappropriate behaviour by former Superintendent Gary Davies, and I thank them for their courage in coming forward.
“Over the past two weeks, we have heard accounts from a number of colleagues, the majority of whom are women, who experienced unacceptable misogynistic conduct during the course of their duties.
“They are role models, and I commend the integrity and bravery they have shown throughout this process.
“This case is deeply concerning and will understandably cause unease within the organisation. I want to reassure all staff and the wider public that immediate action was taken when allegations were made, and the matter has been treated with the utmost seriousness.
“The outcome of today’s hearing reflects our commitment to maintaining the highest standards of conduct in policing. We will continue to use all available measures to ensure those unfit to hold the office of constable are removed swiftly and efficiently.”

Davies’s name was officially added to the Barred List on Friday (Apr 4), the day the hearing concluded.

Continue Reading

Community

Inspiring a love of reading with local authors

Published

on

THE PEMBROKESHIRE LIBRARY SERVICE recently took part in the Books Council of Wales ‘Stars of the Shelves’ Initiative – to bring school children into libraries to meet local authors.

Grant funded by Welsh Government, the initiative aims to engage primary school pupils with literature and reading through author-led sessions in local libraries.

Pembroke Dock, Narberth, Milford Haven and Fishguard Libraries all took part and welcomed around 200 children at various sessions during March.

Welsh authors Kerry Curson and Rebecca F John were commissioned to deliver the workshops which were a fantastic chance for learners to interact with professional writers, explore storytelling and foster a love for reading and writing.

Pembroke Dock Community School and Narberth CP School enjoyed “fun”, “interesting” and “inspirational” workshops with Kerry where the pupils created their own stories, learned new vocabulary and felt more confident about their writing afterwards.

St Francis Catholic School, Ysgol Glannau Gwaun and Ysgol Wdig enjoyed hearing about Rebecca’s books and inspiration as well as taking part in the creative writing process and character development exercises and several found themselves wanting to read more.

Cabinet Member for Residents’ Services Cllr Rhys Sinnett said: “Our libraries are more than just places to borrow books and this Books Council of Wales initiative is just one example of the importance of libraries in the community.

“There was overwhelmingly positive feedback from the pupils who took part, and it is fantastic to see our young people fostering enthusiasm for reading and writing.”

Tracey Johnson, Site Coordinator for Fishguard, Newport and St Davids libraries, liaised with the Books Council of Wales and the authors, to organise the timetable of visits.

She added: “It was great to see so many primary age children in our libraries, enjoying themselves and learning in a fun way.

“It’s really important that we help develop the ‘library habit’ of visiting regularly, to help encourage a love of reading from an early age. Libraries are free to join, and library staff are here to help children and parents who visit.”

Continue Reading

News

Neyland councillor threatens legal action under Equalities Act

Published

on

NEYLAND TOWN COUNCIL is once again under scrutiny following a strongly worded letter from Councillor David Devauden, who has accused the Town Clerk of discrimination and threatened multiple legal actions.

Councillor: David Devauden

In an email sent to fellow councillors and members of the public on Tuesday (Apr 1), Cllr Devauden alleges breaches of the Equalities Act 2010, as well as libel and harassment, in connection with ongoing disputes within the council.

Claims of discrimination and legal threats

The email alleges that the Town Clerk, Libby Matthews, has engaged in what Cllr Devauden describes as “the illegal practice of discrimination” against himself and fellow councillors Brian Rothero and Steve Thomas. He claims the Clerk has refused to respond to correspondence and has shown bias in favour of certain councillors.

“This is called OPENNESS, something we, as a Council, were proud to proclaim but failed to act on,” he wrote.

Drawing on his past experience as a part-time paralegal, Cllr Devauden stated he specialised in libel and discrimination law and accused the Clerk of misandry and malicious communications. He claims the complaints against him lacked evidence and were nothing more than “a misandristic rant.”

Ultimatum to Clerk

Cllr Devauden issued a 48-hour ultimatum to Libby Matthews, demanding her resignation “with no compensation and no benefits.” He warned that if she did not comply, he would pursue a case under the Equalities Act 2010 and other legislation.

“If you resign immediately then I will cease taking legal action against the Council,” he stated, though he added he could not guarantee the same for civil proceedings relating to social media posts alleging sexual harassment and excessive email communications.

He also warned of intended complaints to police under the Malicious Communications Act 1988 and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, and stated his intention to pursue a libel case under the Human Rights Act 1998 if the allegations made against him are not substantiated with evidence.

Tensions continue to mount

The letter follows weeks of controversy surrounding the council, including the co-option of the Clerk’s mother to the council, accusations of secrecy, and increasing public dissatisfaction with council leadership.

As of now, the Town Clerk has not publicly responded to the letter.

Upcoming tribunal

The Pembrokeshire Herald has found that Cllr David Devauden is due to face a tribunal under reference APW/005/2024-025/CT, brought by the Adjudication Panel for Wales.

The hearing relates to alleged breaches of paragraphs 4(b), 4(c), 6(1)(a), 6(1)(d), and 6(2) of the Code of Conduct, which outline the following responsibilities:

  • 4(b): Councillors must show respect and consideration for others.
  • 4(c): Councillors must not use bullying behaviour or harass any person.
  • 6(1)(a): Councillors must not conduct themselves in a manner likely to bring their office or authority into disrepute.
  • 6(1)(d): Councillors must not disclose confidential information contrary to legal or policy obligations.
  • 6(2): Councillors must not make vexatious, malicious or frivolous complaints against others.

The relevant authority is Neyland Town Council. Further details about the hearing are expected to be released in due course.

More referrals expected

A source close to the council has indicated that further referrals to the Adjudication Panel for Wales may be forthcoming, although this has not yet appeared on the public tribunal list.

Former councillor Andrew Lye also stated he has made a police complaint regarding what he describes as bullying by Cllr Devauden. He has expressed frustration over a lack of response from Dyfed-Powys Police and is considering referring the force to the Ombudsman over their handling of the complaint.

The Pembrokeshire Herald will continue to monitor developments and report on the outcome of any legal action or council response.

Continue Reading

Crime2 hours ago

Former police superintendent dismissed for gross misconduct

Misogynistic behaviour spanned three years, hearing told A FORMER senior officer has been dismissed from Dyfed-Powys Police following a gross...

Charity1 day ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business2 days ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News2 days ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business2 days ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News3 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime3 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime3 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business3 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Popular This Week