News
Mysterious substance found on beach
THE IDYLIC and popular beach of Freshwater East had a mysterious substance washed to shore with the incoming tide on Saturday afternoon.
A number of people alerted the authorities when they noticed the unusual substance close to the shoreline.
Resident, Julie Griffiths, was out walking her dog and noticed an unusual translucent liquid shimmering in the shallows.
“It was a very noticeable substance and looked potentially dangerous”she told The Herald. There was also a considerable concern for the safety of a number of surfers in the water. “There were 15 maybe 20 surfers enjoying the great waves, unaware of the dangerous substance”, a local man told The Herald. But thankfully none of them were taken ill after the incident due to the prompt evacuation by the Mid and West Wales Fire Service and Dyfed Powys police.
Mark Lewis was surfing the break with his friend Neil Thomas when the incident happened. “We were the last two to leave the water as we were surfing much further down the beach. It is pretty worrying to think what we may have swallowed if we had been in the wrong area.”
Authorities are still unsure what the substance was and if it was harmful. Results will become apparent as samples of the substance have been sent off for analysis which will determine where it may have come from, although early indications suggest it may have fallen from one of the hundreds of commercial vessels that pass by the beach every day.
The beach has now been closed as a precautionary measure until further notice and members of the public are advised not to walk on the beach for their own safety.
Dyfed-Powys police and mid and West Wales fire and rescue service released a joint statement to warn members on the public that use the beach regularly-
“At approximately 2.15pm today (Sat 14/12), emergency services and Public Health Wales were notified of a minor pollution event on Freshwater East beach.
On attendance, emergency services personnel found some unidentified substance, which appears to have washed up on the beach. As a precautionary measure, the beach has been closed to the public whilst the matter is investigated. Samples of the substance have now been taken for analysis and identification purposes.
Members of the public are advised not to walk on the beach until further notice. If anyone has any concerns, they are advised to make contact with the emergency services or Coastguard for advice”.
In an area of outstanding natural beauty, residents are particularly concerned about this incident and The Herald urges the general public to be vigilant and careful when using the beach for recreational uses in the future.
Crime
Man who threw corrosive liquid at guest and fled abroad jailed
A BUSINESSMAN who threw a corrosive liquid into a guest’s face during a row at a spiritual retreat before fleeing the country has been jailed for 18 months.
Dean Mayze, aged 38, from Abercrave in Powys, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm following the attack at his Hafan-y-Coed retreat in December 2022.
Swansea Crown Court heard the assault happened after an argument with guest Keifer Price, who had complained about the condition of his accommodation, including a lack of heating and washing facilities.
During the confrontation, Mayze produced a blue container and threw its contents upwards into the victim’s face.
The liquid — described as smelling like ammonia — entered Mr Price’s eyes, nose and mouth, leaving him in severe pain and struggling to breathe.
Medical evidence confirmed injuries consistent with a chemical burn to both eyes. He suffered abrasions, a corneal defect and the loss of the outer corneal layer in one eye, requiring significant treatment to prevent permanent sight loss. He has since recovered without lasting injury.
Fled across Europe
Following the attack, Mayze fled the UK, triggering an international search.
The court heard he travelled across several European countries, including Ireland, France, Italy, Croatia and Greece, before eventually being arrested in Romania in 2025.
Despite being on the run, he remained in regular contact with police by text and email, at one point telling officers he would not be returning to Wales.
His partner initially claimed responsibility for the assault and later received a suspended prison sentence after admitting perverting the course of justice.
Previous conviction
The court was told Mayze has a previous conviction for wounding involving a corrosive substance in Kent in 2013.
Defence barrister Andrew Taylor said his client had experienced harsh conditions while detained in Romania, including contracting scabies without treatment, and described him as remorseful.
However, Judge Geraint Walters said it was “pure luck” the victim had not suffered permanent injuries, describing the attack as a “particularly wicked way of inflicting violence”.
Sentence and order
Mayze, who appeared via video link from prison, had previously denied a more serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
He was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment and made subject to a three-year restraining order.
Crime
Police appeal after man injured in St Davids incident
DYFED-POWYS POLICE are appealing for witnesses following an incident in St Davids which left one man injured.
The incident happened in Nun Street at around 11:10am on Tuesday, December 30. The injured man was taken to hospital for treatment.
Officers confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident.
Police are now asking anyone with information, dash cam footage, or CCTV that could assist the investigation to come forward.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police online at:
https://www.dyfed-powys.police.uk/contact/af/contact-us-beta/contact-us/
Alternatively, email [email protected], send a direct message via social media, or call 101 quoting reference DP20251230094.
Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.
Crime
Sexual assault allegation to be tried
Accused granted conditional bail
A SEXUAL assault allegation has been listed for trial following a hearing before magistrates.
David Fletcher, 45, of Chestnut Way, Mount Estate, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, appeared before magistrates in Llanelli on Thursday (Feb 12) charged with sexual assault, contrary to section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
The charge alleges that on March 16, 2025, at Johnston, Pembrokeshire, he intentionally touched a woman aged 16 or over and that the touching was sexual when she did not consent and he did not reasonably believe that she was consenting.
The matter was adjourned for trial and Fletcher was remanded on conditional bail.
The trial is listed for March 9, 2026 at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court. Bail conditions prohibit him from entering a specified premises in Johnston, from contacting directly or indirectly the complainant or any prosecution witnesses, and from posting any information relating to the investigation on social media. The conditions were imposed to prevent further offending and to prevent interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.
-
Business1 day agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime5 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community3 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Education5 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Community4 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature
-
News5 days agoClimber dies and two injured in St Govan’s Head fall
-
Crime6 days agoPendine man jailed for abducting and drugging teenage girl
-
Health6 days agoWelsh pharmacies forced to sell medicines at a loss as funding model buckles







