News
Adams withdraws from Council leadership contest

Jamie Adams: Withdrawing from leadership contest
IN AN email sent to all councillors, IPPG leader Jamie Adams has withdrawn from the contest to be next leader of the County Council.
The email, sent today (May 18), said: “I wish to inform you of my decision to withdraw from the process of election for the Council Leadership.
“I recognise that I have insufficient support to gain the position, however I am humbled by those of you who indicated your preference for my continued tenancy in the role.
“I have thoroughly enjoyed my term as Leader, embracing the many challenges and I remain proud of the achievements we have gained in improving and evolving services to this great County.
“I assure you that I will continue my role with diligence until the AGM next week.”
Cllr Adams’ withdrawal means that David Simpson will be the next leader of Pembrokeshire County Council.
More in The Herald tomorrow (May 19).
Speaking first to the Pembrokeshire Herald after hearing of Jamie Adams’ withdrawal, Cllr David Simpson said: “I am looking forward to the challenge ahead. There are some long-standing issues which I intend to tackle at the very earliest opportunity.
“I am going to spend the next week or so consulting as widely as I can about the make-up of the future Cabinet.
“Even though Jamie has withdrawn, there is still the formality of an election to complete, and I will be making an announcement after that time on Cabinet portfolios.”
Paying tribute to Cllr Jamie Adams, Cllr David Simpson said: “I genuinely feel that Jamie Adams was doing what he thought was best for Pembrokeshire. However, his administration was mired in controversy, both dealing with problems he inherited and dealing with those of his own making.
“I understand why he has withdrawn at this stage and thank him for doing so to preserve a united council to face the tough challenges ahead.”
Crime
Harbour collision sailor admits navigating at dangerous speed
Milford Haven court told vessel struck moored boat and incident was not reported
A SAILOR has admitted navigating his vessel at a speed likely to endanger others after a collision with a moored boat at Milford Haven waterfront.
Nolan Orford was the master of the vessel Andy 02 when it entered Milford Haven on June 4. District Judge Mark Layton was told that the speed at which Orford was travelling failed to comply with directions lawfully given by the harbourmaster under the Milford Haven Conservancy Act 1983.
Orford, of The Great Barn, Bishton Village, Newport, pleaded guilty to manoeuvring his vessel at a speed likely to cause damage, danger or inconvenience to others, making a direct impact with a vessel that was on its moorings, and failing to report the collision to the harbourmaster.
Sentencing was adjourned until March 5 because Orford is currently abroad and was unable to attend court for the hearing.

Crime
Break-in at home of deceased woman leads to sentence for Dock man
Defendant said he returned to former partner’s property after release from prison
A PEMBROKE DOCK man has been sentenced after breaking into the home of a woman who had died weeks earlier.
John Ashby, aged 38 and currently of no fixed abode, was arrested on June 12, 2025, after police received a 999 call reporting he had forced entry into a property at Laws Street, Pembroke Dock. The owner of the house had passed away a few weeks before the incident.
When officers attended, they found rear windows had been smashed. Blood traces recovered from the scene were sent for forensic analysis, which led police to Ashby.
Appearing before magistrates this week, Ashby pleaded guilty to causing criminal damage. He was represented by defence solicitor Michael Kelleher.
Mr Kelleher told the court his client had been released from prison on the day of the incident and that the deceased woman had been his former partner.
“He returned to the property feeling extremely upset that she had died and that all of his belongings were inside the building,” he said.
Ashby was fined £120 and ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £48 surcharge. He must also pay £293.57 compensation for the damage caused to the property.
Crime
Baby assault allegations: Couple deny charges over eight-week-old infant
Case sent to Crown Court after district judge declines jurisdiction due to seriousness
TWO people from Haverfordwest have appeared before a district judge charged with assaulting, ill-treating and neglecting an eight-week-old baby in Haverfordwest town centre.
The man and woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons in order to protect the identity of the child, are accused of failing to take the infant to hospital after the baby allegedly sustained injuries during what has been described as a domestic accident.
The pair appeared before District Judge Mark Layton sitting at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court, where they jointly denied charges of assault, ill-treatment and neglect of a child.
The man also faces an additional charge of wounding or inflicting grievous bodily harm without intent in relation to the same infant. He denied that charge.
Given the seriousness of the allegations, Judge Layton declined jurisdiction, meaning the case must be dealt with at a higher court.
Proceedings will now continue at Swansea Crown Court on March 20.
Both defendants were released on conditional bail, with conditions that they reside at their current address in Southampton.
-
Health6 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Business11 hours agoMS’s host business advice surgery following demand from Business Rates Online Forum
-
Crime4 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community2 days agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime7 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Education4 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Climate7 days agoPlans for £40m Newgale coastal road upgrade put on hold
-
Community3 days agoSecond Milford Haven webcam launched after 1.3m views and US TV feature






