Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Community

Desperate shortage of support for people with a diagnosis of dementia

Published

on

alzheimers_logoThe Alzheimer’s Society launches Right to Know campaign to ensure no one in Wales is denied access to information and support following a diagnosis of dementia.

ONE in five people affected by dementia (21 per cent) were given no information and support after a diagnosis of dementia, finds a poll carried out by Alzheimer’s Society. The poll of people with dementia, carers and people with a family member or friend with dementia, reveals a desperate shortage of post-diagnosis support provision, with 90 per cent of those surveyed dissatisfied with the amount of information and support provided. Alzheimer’s Society is today (2 July) launching a new campaign, Right to Know, to ensure people with dementia get a diagnosis and, following that, access to vital information, support and available treatments. The campaign is launched to voice concerns of people affected by dementia, with 97 per cent of respondents agreeing that the Government should do more to support people who have a dementia diagnosis. Sue Phelps, Director of Alzheimer’s Society in Wales, said: ‘Like entering a maze blindfolded, too many people with dementia are left without a guiding hand to help them come to terms with this debilitating, terminal condition. Welsh government has shown a commitment to improving the lives of people with dementia and to providing people with information packs at the point of diagnosis. However, we cannot escape the varied level of support received following a diagnosis which leaves many vulnerable people adrift. People living with dementia tell us that with the right support they can live well. Alzheimer’s Society is here to support them, but a further bold commitment from Welsh government would be welcomed to reach all those in need. ‘We are urging the Government to ensure that every person diagnosed with dementia has access to a named contact who can help them come to terms with the diagnosis and help them find the support they need to live their life.’ Wendy McCarthy Williams is from Ystradgynlais, her husband, Ivor Williams, was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease four years ago. Speaking about his diagnosis she said: ‘The GP’s initial response was that it was ‘just an old age thing’. It took about 18 months to get a diagnosis. There was nobody to talk to, nobody to discuss it with. We had next to no advice or support. It was frightening to feel so alone. I had to do most of my research online and then happened to pick up an Alzheimer’s Society leaflet at the hospital. I called them and since then everything has been so different. Having someone to guide and support us made it all a bit easier to understand and cope with.’ As well as improving postdiagnosis support provision, the charity is calling for: 66 per cent dementia diagnosis rate across all areas – with a commitment now to reach 75 per cent by 2017. No one to wait longer than 12 weeks from seeing their GP to diagnosis A guarantee that everyone has access to a Dementia Adviser or equivalent following a diagnosis Of the 45,500 people in Wales living with dementia, less than half (39 per cent) currently have a formal diagnosis meaning there could still be another 27,868 people in Wales who are living with the condition but who are not diagnosed. Furthermore, according to figures reported as part of the Quality and Outcomes Framework, Wales has the lowest national diagnosis rate in the UK. ‘Many people in Wales face daily challenges whilst living with dementia. It’s disgraceful to think nearly two thirds of them have an added fight, to get a diagnosis. Everyone with dementia has a right to know. To have access to the certainty of a diagnosis and the right support to comes to terms with and manage the condition should not depend on your postcode,’ added Sue Phelps.

 

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. trenton guerrero

    October 8, 2025 at 9:46 pm

    Very practical and actionable tips. Tune into ptv sports live cricket match — studio analysis and highlights. works on mobile and desktop. match previews, expert commentary. fast, reliable HD streaming.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

Published

on

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s annual pancake races brought residents and visitors together for a day of family-friendly fun.

The much-loved tradition, held to mark Shrove Tuesday, saw competitors of all ages take to the streets armed with frying pans, attempting to race while flipping pancakes without dropping them. Spectators lined the route in good spirits, many wrapped up against the chilly weather, as children, families and local groups took part.

Among the highlights were enthusiastic young racers proudly showing off their pancake-flipping skills, with some managing impressive mid-air flips while others focused on simply reaching the finish line with their pancake still intact. The event created plenty of memorable moments for families watching and taking part.

RNLI volunteers also joined the celebrations, bringing colour and community spirit to the occasion in their distinctive yellow gear, alongside a mascot character who proved popular with children.

The races form part of Tenby’s traditional Shrove Tuesday celebrations, which continue to be an important date in the town’s community calendar. Organisers said the event is designed to bring people together, celebrate local traditions and create a fun experience for families during the school half-term period.

Younger participants also took to the course in dedicated children’s races, many concentrating hard as they carefully balanced their pancakes while moving along the route under the watchful eyes of parents and marshals.

With smiles all round and plenty of successful pancake flips, the event once again proved why Tenby’s pancake races remain a cherished annual tradition for the community.

Photos: Gareth Davies / Herald.

 

Continue Reading

Business

Bosherston bistro alcohol license antisocial behaviour fears

Published

on

A CALL to allow the selling of alcohol as late as 10pm at a rural beauty spot former village tearoom will “create an absolute nightmare” exacerbating an already growing issue with antisocial behaviour, objectors have said.

At Pembrokeshire County Council’s licensing sub-committee meeting of February 19 members will consider an application by Sarah Jane Partridge and Robert John Secrett for a new premises licence at Bosherton Bistro, Old World Cottage, Bosherton.

A report for members says it is proposed the premises, formerly a tearoom called ‘Ye Olde Worlde Café’ would open 8am-10pm, selling alcohol from 9am on and off site, seven days a week in the village near the famed lily ponds.

Since the proposal for the site, close to the village pub The St Govan’s Inn was publicised, 13 objections were received, including Stackpole and Castlemartin Community Council.

In its submissions, the community council said it “will cause a significant public nuisance in the residential area”.

“Bosherston village is a remote village and currently has four well-established camp sites which already frequently cause late night disruption, littering and anti-social behaviour caused predominantly by intoxicated individuals.

“Residing next to the Stackpole Estate, an area of outstanding natural beauty (many areas covered by SSSI), noise generated by outdoor activities, such as the consumption of alcoholic beverages and indoor music and dancing, will generate unacceptable noise levels for residents and have an impact on local wildlife.”

It went on to say: “The provision of alcohol for such extended hours increases the risk likelihood of individuals engaging in criminal activities. Late-night alcohol sales are often associated with increased incidents of drunkenness, vandalism, and other public disorder offences. Instances of aggressive behaviour and trespass are already prevalent within the village by visitors under the influence of alcohol.

“The selling of alcoholic off-sales from such extended hours will likely pose an increased risk to public safety, exasperated by the influx of people late at night leading to confrontations, accidents, and a likely strain on local emergency services.”

Concerns raised by members of the public included “the application as currently written allows for a pub-style operation with morning drinking, off-sales, and dancing,” and “greater access to alcohol for unlimited campers cannot possibly result in anything but an increased problem with drunkenness, drink driving and antisocial behaviour,” and a call imploring “no to a licence, under any circumstances” says the alcohol licence “will not only make life for the residents in the immediate area an absolute nightmare, it will also have a hugely detrimental effect on the village as a whole and could threaten the peace and beauty of the surrounding ponds, beach and coastline.”

Another said: “One unintended consequence of this application has been increased discussions among neighbours regarding the prevalence of antisocial behaviour in the area. There is genuine concern that increased availability of alcohol may contribute to a rise in such behaviour, potentially placing significant strain on the already stretched emergency services.”

The application will be considered at the licensing committee.

 

Continue Reading

Charity

Long service awards for Tenby surf lifesavers

Published

on

Three volunteers recognised for years of dedication to keeping beachgoers safe

THREE long-serving members of Tenby Surf Life Saving Club have been recognised for their commitment and dedication, receiving Long Service Awards at the charity’s recent presentation evening.

Jules Rilston, Angelo Fecci and Ian Badham were each honoured for their sustained contributions to surf lifesaving in Tenby over many years of voluntary service.

Club chairman Tai Jackson thanked the trio for their commitment to the club and the wider lifesaving movement on behalf of the committee and members.

Tenby Surf Life Saving Club is a volunteer-led, not-for-profit registered charity and one of 31 volunteer lifeguard clubs across Wales. During 2025, its lifesavers delivered 188 hours of volunteer patrols and assisted 113 people along the coastline.

The club also runs a youth education programme, known as Nippers and Junior Lifesaving, which provided more than 104 hours of training to 60 local children last year. Young participants are taught vital water safety skills, first aid knowledge and how to enjoy water sports safely and sustainably.

The club is currently recruiting new volunteers to support both frontline lifesaving activities and essential behind-the-scenes roles, including committee positions and fundraising support.

 

Continue Reading

Crime1 day ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community1 day ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime2 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business2 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Crime3 days ago

Pembroke Dock raids: One man in court today as three released on bail

Update follows major Gordon Street operation reported on Friday ONE man is due to appear in court today (Monday, Feb...

Local Government3 days ago

Ex-councillor Brian Rothero disqualified for three years after code breaches upheld

Second tribunal sanction in weeks deepens long-running town council turmoil A FORMER Neyland town councillor has been banned from holding...

News3 days ago

Sea Empress: 30 years since the grounding that transformed safety in Milford Haven

Human error, storm conditions and salvage decisions combined in one of Britain’s worst maritime disasters THIRTY years ago this week,...

Health4 days ago

NHS pay row erupts as ministers confirm 3.3% rise

Unions warn award amounts to real-terms cut as inflation remains above headline figure NHS staff across Wales will receive a...

Crime5 days ago

Governors defend leadership at Milford Haven School after stabbing incident

GOVERNORS at Milford Haven Comprehensive School have issued a public statement responding to concerns about leadership and staffing following last...

Crime5 days ago

Four arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock

Firearms, drugs and GBH suspects detained as pre-planned raids hit Bush Street and Gordon Street A MAJOR armed police operation...

Popular This Week