Health
Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision
Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety
PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to travel further for lifesaving treatment after a controversial decision to remove emergency general surgery services from Withybush Hospital.
The move was confirmed following an extraordinary two-day meeting of the Hywel Dda University Health Board held on Wednesday and Thursday (Feb 18–19), where senior officials took decisions on nine services as part of the organisation’s long-running Clinical Services Plan.
The decision has sparked immediate political backlash, with local Senedd Member Paul Davies condemning the outcome and warning it represents another major blow to healthcare provision in Pembrokeshire.

Mr Davies said: “I’m extremely angry that Hywel Dda University Health Board has once again decided to remove services from Withybush Hospital,” he said.
“Patients will now have to travel for emergency general surgery services and it’s another example of the Health Board doing whatever it wants, against the will of the people of Pembrokeshire.
“This is the latest in a long line of services that has been stripped from the hospital over the years and is further evidence that the Health Board is pushing a centralisation agenda that
punishes the people of Pembrokeshire.”
Commenting, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Health and Social Care, Peter Fox MS, said: “This will be concerning news for patients and families in Ceredigion and across mid and West Wales.
“Downgrading emergency general surgery services in the area will mean longer journeys for urgent care, increasing pressure on patients, families and ambulance services.
“The Health Board must focus on investing in local infrastructure and ensuring safe, timely access to care, rather than centralising services and leaving communities facing longer travel times in critical situations.”
Also Commenting, Local Welsh Conservative Senedd Member Samuel Kurtz MS said: “Residents in Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion are being treated like second class citizens, as it is always us in the West that has to see our services cut.
“The salami slicing of services is exactly what the Labour government have wanted, and the health board are delivering. This is a sad day, and residents will rightly be angry and concerned.”
Kerry Ferguson, Plaid Cymru Senedd election candidate for Pembrokeshire said: “We are so disappointed with the Health Board’s decision to remove the current emergency general services from Withybush. Whilst the Board has committed to maintaining and strengthening Same Day Emergency Care, residents of west Pembrokeshire will still face at least an hour’s journey to receive emergency operations or significant treatment.
Residents in Pembrokeshire are rightly worried and anxious about the services Withybush might lose, and losing their emergency general services is a huge blow.
I call on the Health Board to urgently reconsider their decision, and to take into account the risks and impact that implementing option A will have on residents of Pembrokeshire.”
Clinical Services Plan
Last year, the Health Board consulted communities across west Wales on proposed changes to nine services considered “fragile and in need of change,” including critical care, dermatology, emergency general surgery, endoscopy, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, stroke, radiology and urology.
The consultation covered the region’s four main hospitals — Withybush in Haverfordwest, Glangwili in Carmarthen, Prince Philip in Llanelli and Bronglais in Aberystwyth.
Health chiefs previously said the services were selected because of risks around sustainability, staffing and the ability to deliver safe, timely care.
During the consultation process, communities submitted around 190 alternative ideas, later narrowed down to 22 potential options for consideration by board members.
What the decision means
Following the board’s decision, emergency general surgery operations will no longer take place at Withybush Hospital.
However, the Health Board says same-day emergency care (SDEC) services at Withybush will be strengthened.
For the other hospitals in the region, there will be no change to emergency general surgery provision, apart from an expansion of same-day emergency care at Glangwili Hospital.
Board members stressed that the changes would not happen immediately.
Chief Executive Phil Kloer told the meeting the proposals were aimed at “improving the quality of service for the public,” adding that a Pembrokeshire-preferred option — alternating emergency surgery between Withybush and Glangwili on different weeks — had raised safety concerns among clinicians and managers.
Other service changes
The board also backed changes to critical care services.
Under the plans, intensive care provision will remain unchanged at all hospitals except Prince Philip Hospital in Llanelli, where the intensive care unit will be replaced by an enhanced care unit, with the sickest patients transferred elsewhere.
Political backlash
Mr Davies said he was “appalled” by the outcome.
“The Health Board is obsessed with removing services from Pembrokeshire and has spent years downgrading and removing services from Withybush Hospital,” he said.
“As one constituent has rightly said, the Board should be rebranded the Carmarthenshire Health Board, as it continues to strip assets from other hospitals in west Wales.”
He warned the decision could undermine emergency care locally.
“Removing general emergency services critically undermines the sustainability of Withybush Hospital’s A&E department and will result in patients having to be transported for urgent treatment.
“This is not acceptable – I will be taking this to the Welsh Government and urging Ministers to intervene and stop the Health Board from making this catastrophic decision.”
Wider concerns
The removal of emergency general surgery from Withybush is likely to reignite long-running concerns about healthcare access in west Wales, particularly around travel distances, ambulance pressures and the resilience of rural health services.
Campaigners have repeatedly warned that losing specialist services increases risks for patients facing time-critical conditions.
A full statement from the Health Board is expected following the conclusion of the meeting.
Board papers and meeting information are available via the Health Board website.
Health
Have your say on new West Wales learning disability strategy
RESIDENTS across Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire are being invited to help shape a new regional Learning Disability Strategy.
Views sought on five-year plan
The strategy, covering 2026 to 2031, will set out the future direction of services and support for neurodivergent people and people with a learning disability across west Wales.
Over the past two years, Ceredigion County Council, Pembrokeshire County Council, Carmarthenshire County Council and Hywel Dda University Health Board have been working with people with lived experience to help shape the proposals.
At present, each county has its own Learning Disability Strategy. The new plan would bring these together into one regional approach, aimed at making services more consistent and joined-up across the three counties.
The draft recommendations have been developed and reviewed by the Regional Improving Lives Partnership, which includes the three county councils, Hywel Dda University Health Board, The Dream Team, Carmarthenshire People First, Pembrokeshire People First, the West Wales Regional Partnership, and projects funded through the Regional Integration Fund.
Cllr Alun Williams, Ceredigion County Council Cabinet Member for Through Age Wellbeing, said: “We’re committed to ensuring that people with a learning disability and neurodivergent people are at the heart of shaping services that affect them.
“We encourage everyone to take part and share their views to help us develop a strategy that truly meets the needs of communities across West Wales.”
The consultation is open until Sunday, July 5.
Residents can complete the West Wales Learning Disability Strategy Survey online, or request a paper copy from a Ceredigion library or leisure centre. Paper copies can also be requested by calling 01437 764551 or emailing [email protected].
Completed questionnaires should be returned to Norman Industries, Units 1-2, Snowdrop Lane, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, SA61 1JB.

Health
Withybush Emergency Department wins national award for green improvements
WITHYBUSH HOSPITAL’S Emergency Department has won national recognition for work to cut waste, reduce emissions and save money.
The department, based at Hywel Dda University Health Board’s Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest, has been awarded Bronze accreditation by the Royal College of Emergency Medicine as part of its Green ED programme.
The scheme recognises emergency departments which introduce practical changes to reduce their environmental impact while maintaining safe patient care.
At Withybush, the work was led by a small team made up of consultant Dr Vicki Hughes, resident doctor Dr Lizzie Caisley, ED secretary Janet Bird, and ED clinical fellow Dr Oyewale Osundeyi.
Their changes included replacing plastic medicine pots with paper alternatives, reducing unnecessary cannulas, improving waste segregation, and reviewing computer screen brightness and older equipment to identify where energy savings could be made.
Dr Osundeyi led a project to increase recycling and reduce waste sent for incineration.
He said: “Trying to reduce waste comes with a lot of challenges, because you are trying to change people’s habits and trying to make sure people understand the importance, but we were lucky to get a lot of people involved from the estates team to the nursing departments who helped us achieve this.”
The department also targeted unnecessary coagulation testing in admission bloods, a project led by Dr Caisley.
The change is expected to save around £30,000 a year, as well as cutting carbon emissions.
Dr Caisley said: “By reviewing our routine practices, I was able to identify simple changes that benefit both patients and the environment. It shows how quality improvement work can deliver meaningful financial and environmental savings.”
ED secretary Janet Bird supported the work by gathering information, co-ordinating meetings and helping to put sustainability plans into action.
She said she also created a Green ED information board and presented the programme at resident doctor induction sessions to raise awareness of the changes already introduced.
Dr Hughes said: “A group of individuals, cutting across resident doctors, nurses, administrative staff, and myself as a senior consultant, all got involved in this work.
“There were many different elements to achieving this bronze award. The next step is making sure the team is supported to build on it.”
Withybush was one of eleven emergency departments across England and Wales recognised through the programme.
Together, those departments are estimated to have achieved £216,000 in cost savings and 131,502kg of CO2e savings through more sustainable working practices.
Dr Ian Higginson, President of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine, said: “On behalf of the College – a massive congratulations to the team at Withybush General Hospital who have been awarded a Bronze accreditation through our GreenED programme.
“This accomplishment has been driven by a dedicated, innovative team, who have reduced emissions, as well as waste and saved costs – all to tackle the climate crisis.
“A healthier planet means healthier patients, and we have a duty to act to protect both.
“As a College, we are proud to support Emergency Departments across the UK, and beyond, in playing their part to become more environmentally friendly.”
Health
NHS waiting lists falling — but west Wales faces fresh healthcare uncertainty
Improving treatment figures welcomed, but local concerns grow over pharmacy changes, service reorganisation and access to care
WAITING times across NHS Wales are continuing to improve, according to the latest national figures — but patients in west Wales may question whether those improvements are being felt on the ground as concerns continue over changing local services, pharmacy provision and healthcare access.

New figures released by the Welsh Government show there were just under 666,700 referral-to-treatment patient pathways waiting to start treatment in March — down by around 21,300 compared with February and the lowest level recorded since August 2021.
It marks the tenth consecutive month that waiting lists have fallen, while the proportion of pathways waiting less than 26 weeks rose to 65.9 per cent — the highest figure since May 2020.
The average waiting time for treatment also dropped to 15.5 weeks, the lowest level since April 2020.
However, despite the improving national picture, NHS leaders have warned that Wales remains under significant pressure and that progress must not mask wider challenges facing the health service.
Responding to the figures, the Welsh NHS Confederation said scheduled care was “going in the right direction” but cautioned that emergency pressures, social care pressures and financial constraints remain major concerns.
The organisation’s director, Darren Hughes, said NHS leaders were ready to work with the new Welsh Government as part of its first 100 days in office, but stressed that reforms would require difficult decisions and honest conversations with the public.
He said: “While it’s not a perfect picture across the board, with high demand on urgent and emergency care, scheduled care waits continue to go in the right direction.
“Now is the time to build on this progress and make further inroads into the backlog of care that has built up in recent years.”
But for many people in Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion, improving national statistics may feel at odds with the reality of healthcare closer to home.
Recent changes affecting community pharmacy provision, alongside continuing concerns over access to services, travel distances and healthcare reorganisation within the Hywel Dda University Health Board area, have left some residents questioning whether NHS recovery is being experienced equally across Wales.
Community pharmacy provision has become an increasing concern locally following recent changes affecting some chemist services, raising fears over access to medication and frontline healthcare support — particularly in rural areas where alternatives may involve lengthy travel.
At the same time, debates around the future location of services, staffing shortages and the long-term sustainability of care in west Wales continue to generate concern among patients and campaigners.
For many residents, the NHS debate is no longer only about waiting times — but whether services remain accessible in the first place.
The figures also require some caution. NHS waiting-list totals are measured in “patient pathways” rather than individual patients, meaning one person can appear on the list more than once if waiting for multiple treatments or appointments.
The Welsh NHS Confederation warned that any future improvements would need a “whole-system approach”, involving primary care, community healthcare and social care, alongside action to reduce demand before patients require hospital treatment.
Mr Hughes added that NHS organisations also face tightening budgets and renewed inflationary pressures linked to global events.
He warned: “NHS leaders will need clarity from political leaders on a focused set of priorities and the backing to make the difficult decisions required to reform services, being honest with the public around timelines and expectations.”
Professor Jon Barry, Director in Wales at the Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS England), said: “The new Welsh Government inherits a significant challenge, and these figures reflect the reality across Wales – long waits, repeated delays, and too many people left in pain.
“There were commitments during the election campaign to develop a clear plan for expanding elective capacity, including early work to establish new surgical hubs across Wales. The priority now is to start delivering on those plans without delay.
“More surgical hubs will help bring down long waits and ensure fewer patients are left dealing with uncertainty and disruption to their daily lives while they wait for treatment.”
The Herald has approached Hywel Dda University Health Board for comment on how improving national waiting-time figures compare with the experience of patients in west Wales, including concerns around pharmacy provision, service changes and access to local care.
The Welsh Government has also been asked what the new administration’s healthcare priorities will mean for communities in rural Wales over the coming months.
Welsh Government response
The Welsh Government said it had pledged to “pick up the pace” to ensure people across Wales are seen faster for NHS treatment.
Health and Care Minister Mabon ap Gwynfor said: “Too many people are waiting too long for NHS treatment. That is the reality and it is an issue we are determined to fix.
“It is people’s lives we are talking about – and my job is to make sure the Welsh Government works closely with the NHS to ensure people who need treatment get it much quicker.”
The new minister said improvements were needed not only in waiting lists, but also in ambulance response times and emergency department access.
The Welsh Government said it would commission an independent review of NHS performance in Wales within its first 100 days, with a particular focus on the impact of waiting lists on population health.
It also plans to set up an expert task group to develop plans for up to ten new elective care hubs across Wales, with a delivery plan due by the end of 2026.
Mr ap Gwynfor added: “Today’s figures are a starting point. We will be honest with the people of Wales about the progress we make, and we will rightly be judged on results. We intend to meet the scale of the challenge ahead.”
-
Community7 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
News20 hours agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime3 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News2 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime3 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime3 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News3 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime5 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims







