Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Council tax to rise again as Pembrokeshire sets new budget

Published

on

Schools and social care receive extra funding in 2026–27 spending plans

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has approved its budget for the 2026–27 financial year, confirming another increase in council tax alongside additional investment in key services.

The budget was agreed on Friday (Feb 20) and includes an extra £4.7 million for schools and £5.9 million for Social Care, reflecting continuing demand pressures in both sectors.

Funding has also been allocated to a range of frontline services, including highways, road maintenance and the upkeep of council buildings, as the authority seeks to maintain service levels despite ongoing financial pressures.

As part of the plans, council tax will increase by £1.46 per week for a Band D property. Council leaders say the rise is necessary to help meet growing costs, particularly in social care, staffing and inflation-related pressures affecting local authorities across Wales.

The council says the budget aims to protect essential services while keeping the increase as low as possible, although it acknowledged the impact any rise will have on residents already facing cost-of-living pressures.

Further details of spending allocations and any savings measures are expected to be published in the council’s full budget documents.

 

Entertainment

Family musical A Big Egg comes to the Torch Theatre this Easter

Published

on

A BRAND new family musical from the creators of There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly is set to delight Pembrokeshire audiences when it arrives at the Torch Theatre this spring.

A Big Egg, part of the popular Story Time series, is based on the picture book by Steven Lee and brings the story to life through a magical mix of live action, animation and puppetry. Packed with songs, laughter and audience participation, the production promises fun for all ages.

The story follows Jack and his little sister Molly, who are fascinated by the wonder of eggs. But just how big can an egg get — and what surprises might be hidden inside? Audiences are invited to join them on a joyful adventure described as a “feast of fun” and a cracking good time for everyone aged two to 102.

The show has received enthusiastic reviews from audiences across the UK. Family Matters said: “The children were absolutely gripped throughout,” while one audience member at London’s Lyric Hammersmith commented: “We loved it, the children loved it, everyone loved it.”

The performance takes place at the Torch Theatre on Wednesday, April 8 at 2:00pm.

Tickets are priced at £10, with concessions available at £8. For more information or to book, visit www.torchtheatre.co.uk or contact the Box Office on (01646) 695267.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Family bike business to receive £77,000 after gang burglary

Published

on

Compensation ordered under Proceeds of Crime Act following seven-minute raid that stole £90,000 worth of bikes

AN INDEPENDENT bike shop in Aberystwyth is set to receive nearly £77,350 under the Proceeds of Crime Act after its family-run business was targeted in a sophisticated burglary last year.

Four burglars wearing balaclavas smashed their way into Afan Cycles on the Glanyrafon Industrial Estate in the early hours of Saturday, April 12, 2025. Within just seven minutes, they stole 22 e-bikes and mountain bikes with a combined retail value of around £90,000, loading them into a van fitted with false number plates before fleeing the scene.

Following a complex investigation involving multiple police departments, officers were able to identify those responsible. Gareth Corbett, 37, Wayne Draisy, 41, Gavin Johnson, 40, and Keith Johnson, 33 — all from Birmingham — were arrested by West Mercia Police.

The group had conspired to steal bikes and other items from the Glanyrafon estate between April 7 and April 13, 2025. All four were charged with burglary and conspiracy to commit burglary and were remanded in custody. They pleaded guilty to both charges at Swansea Crown Court on Monday, May 19, 2025.

The business owner said: “We have built Afan Bikes over seven years with commitment, passion, and significant financial investment. This crime placed the business — and the livelihoods of our three full-time staff, myself, my wife, and our dependants — in a precarious position.

“While we are doing our best to keep going, the loss of assets, staff, income, and customer confidence has made this the most difficult period we have ever faced. Recovery will take time, resources, and community support — and even then, the future remains uncertain.

“We are grateful to the police for their swift response and hope that this statement provides a clear understanding of how far-reaching the impact of this crime has been, not just on our business, but on the wider community we support.”

On Friday (Aug 8, 2025), all four men were jailed for their roles in the burglary, receiving sentences of more than 30 months’ imprisonment for each offence, to run concurrently.

At Swansea Crown Court on Thursday (Feb 12), Proceeds of Crime Act proceedings were finalised. His Honour Judge Walters granted confiscation orders totalling £77,348.16, to be paid as compensation to the victims. Failure to pay could result in an additional 18-month prison sentence, alongside the forced sale of assets.

Helen Kelly, from the Economic Crime Team, said: “For this local family-run business, this incident had a significant impact. Whilst it will not fix what has happened, hopefully the compensation from this proceeding will help them in continuing to rebuild their business.

“I hope this sentencing serves as a reminder that if you are profiting from crime, we will not only arrest and charge you but use all available powers to ensure that you are not able to live off the proceeds of your criminal activity.”

 

Continue Reading

Health

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Published

on

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere

PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred out of county for specialist treatment under major changes approved this week by Hywel Dda University Health Board.

Under the new model, patients suspected of having a stroke will continue to receive initial assessment and emergency treatment at Withybush Hospital.

However, those requiring specialist stroke care will then be transferred to Glangwili Hospital in Carmarthen, which is expected to become the main specialist stroke centre for the region.

Health leaders say concentrating specialist services in one location will improve outcomes by ensuring patients are treated by dedicated teams with greater expertise and availability.

Concerns about travel times

The changes are likely to raise concerns in Pembrokeshire, where travel distances to Carmarthen can be significant and ambulance journeys lengthy, particularly from rural communities.

Stroke treatment is highly time-critical, with outcomes often depending on how quickly specialist care can be delivered.

Campaigners have previously warned that longer transfer times could increase risks for patients in remote parts of west Wales.

Local care still provided

Health officials stress that Withybush Hospital will continue to play an important role in stroke care.

Patients will still receive emergency assessment, stabilisation and initial treatment locally before transfer if specialist intervention is required.

Where appropriate, patients may later be transferred back closer to home for recovery.

Regional plans still developing

As part of the wider changes across west Wales, proposals to develop enhanced stroke rehabilitation services at Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth remain subject to further risk assessment and community consultation.

No final decision has yet been confirmed.

Changing role of Withybush

The stroke changes represent another shift in how services are delivered at Withybush Hospital, with specialist treatment increasingly concentrated at larger centres elsewhere in the region.

The hospital will continue to provide a 24-hour emergency department, diagnostics and other core services, but the way patients access specialist care is evolving.

 

Continue Reading

News5 minutes ago

Council tax to rise again as Pembrokeshire sets new budget

Schools and social care receive extra funding in 2026–27 spending plans PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has approved its budget for the...

Health31 minutes ago

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred...

Health20 hours ago

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been...

Health22 hours ago

Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision

Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to...

Business1 day ago

Mounting complaints: More Computer Solutions Wales customers claim losses

Business owner issues legal threats and IPSO complaint to this newspaper while refusing to answer detailed questions about customers who...

Local Government1 day ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime2 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community3 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime3 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business4 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Popular This Week